NFL.com's Lombardi ranks AFC teams.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8191...making-big-jump

Buffalo Bills:

I love Bills fans because they're passionate and knowledgeable. In fact, I get more emails from Bills fans than from nearly any other team. They love their team and aren't bitter about the four Super Bowl losses. Still, fans are also realistic and know the Bills are a long way from competing for a return trip to the Super Bowl. Much of this pessimism comes from the fact that the Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995, and haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Right now, they're not impressed with quarterback Trent Edwards as the man to lead the team. How could they be? When your offense is the worst in the league in red-zone scoring, plays of more than 10 yards, third-down conversions, and passing first downs made, it's not an offense that can score points quickly. The Bills were also the worst team inside their opponents' 5-yard line, scoring just four times after having 13 chances. With all the problems on offense, the defense didn't fare much better. The unit couldn't stop the run, giving up more than 156 yards per game. Switching to the 3-4 scheme won't cure this problem. It will be a cold winter in Buffalo for Bills fans, unless I'm missing a reason to believe.

REALLY??? We as fans are not bitter about LOSING 4 (FOUR) SUPER BOWLS????? :thumbsup:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather not talk about one little line in the paragragh. I would rather encourage others to look at what he is saying...

IMO, he's saying its going to be a long year. "Bitter is a poor choice of words...

You can make you own conclusion.

Ok it might just be me.... but why do we continue to be ranked lower... better yet way lower then the chiefs when we destroyed them in 2008 and beat them last year... So if they are on their way to being a good team then what are we?

Buffalo Bills:

I love Bills fans because they're passionate and knowledgeable. In fact, I get more emails from Bills fans than from nearly any other team. They love their team and aren't bitter about the four Super Bowl losses. Still, fans are also realistic and know the Bills are a long way from competing for a return trip to the Super Bowl. Much of this pessimism comes from the fact that the Bills haven't won a playoff game since 1995, and haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Right now, they're not impressed with quarterback Trent Edwards as the man to lead the team. How could they be? When your offense is the worst in the league in red-zone scoring, plays of more than 10 yards, third-down conversions, and passing first downs made, it's not an offense that can score points quickly. The Bills were also the worst team inside their opponents' 5-yard line, scoring just four times after having 13 chances. With all the problems on offense, the defense didn't fare much better. The unit couldn't stop the run, giving up more than 156 yards per game. Switching to the 3-4 scheme won't cure this problem. It will be a cold winter in Buffalo for Bills fans, unless I'm missing a reason to believe.

REALLY??? We as fans are not bitter about LOSING 4 (FOUR) SUPER BOWLS????? :thumbsup:

Bitter-sweet! It bothered me a lot at the time, but there is a deep feeling of pride that our Bills kept going back and trying again four consecutive times! The heartache that the Bills must have endured in each SuperBowl loss but, yet they found a way back 4 times total...that really should be applauded, and I am proud and respect each of them for their determination and tenacity even though we didn't win the ultimate prize. Go Bills!

Buffalo Bills:

Bitter-sweet! It bothered me a lot at the time, but there is a deep feeling of pride that our Bills kept going back and trying again four consecutive times! The heartache that the Bills must have endured in each SuperBowl loss but, yet they found a way back 4 times total...that really should be applauded, and I am proud and respect each of them for their determination and tenacity even though we didn't win the ultimate prize. Go Bills!

Ok it might just be me.... but why do we continue to be ranked lower... better yet way lower then the chiefs when we destroyed them in 2008 and beat them last year... So if they are on their way to being a good team then what are we?

My take on the rankings. The exact ranking and the teams a few slots ahead or behind us is not that important to me. We can make valid points about ranking us ahead of some teams. Your example of the Chiefs is a good one.

I look at where we are ranked as a "whole" by the experts. The experts have us in the bottom tier of the NFL. IMO, that is most likely the case and a more important issue than looking at one or two teams we may be better than..

I don't have a strong opinion about whether Buffalo or KC should be ranked higher. But if someone did want to justify ranking KC higher than Buffalo, I'd imagine that person would argue the following:

• While Matt Cassell might not be the long-term answer at QB for KC, he's probably better than any QB on the Bills' roster.
  • This is the second year of Scott Pioli being the Chiefs' GM. Previously, Pioli had been responsible for acquiring the talent the Patriots used for their three Super Bowl wins.
  • The Chiefs now have Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as their offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively. That has to count for something right there!
  • The Bills have no offensive line to go with their no quarterback. That combination would seem to suggest certain limitations on offense. Plus, there are no WRs on the roster with any accomplishments at all, except for guys named Lee Evans.
  • The Bills have just switched to a 3-4 defense, which all begins with the NT position. The Bills are using Kyle Williams at NT, even though he's not well-suited to that position. They're also using a rookie; even though rookie DLs typically get off to a slow start.
  • Several other players in the Bills' 3-4 are also playing out of position. Not that the Bills' front-7 had all that much talent even when the guys were playing in position!
  • With Schobel retiring and the departure of TO, the defense and offense each lost one of their best players.

I don't have a strong opinion about whether Buffalo or KC should be ranked higher. But if someone did want to justify ranking KC higher than Buffalo, I'd imagine that person would argue the following:
  • While Matt Cassell might not be the long-term answer at QB for KC, he's probably better than any QB on the Bills' roster.
  • This is the second year of Scott Pioli being the Chiefs' GM. Previously, Pioli had been responsible for acquiring the talent the Patriots used for their three Super Bowl wins.
  • The Chiefs now have Charlie Weis and Romeo Crennel as their offensive and defensive coordinators, respectively. That has to count for something right there!
  • The Bills have no offensive line to go with their no quarterback. That combination would seem to suggest certain limitations on offense. Plus, there are no WRs on the roster with any accomplishments at all, except for guys named Lee Evans.
  • The Bills have just switched to a 3-4 defense, which all begins with the NT position. The Bills are using Kyle Williams at NT, even though he's not well-suited to that position. They're also using a rookie; even though rookie DLs typically get off to a slow start.
  • Several other players in the Bills' 3-4 are also playing out of position. Not that the Bills' front-7 had all that much talent even when the guys were playing in position!
  • With Schobel retiring and the departure of TO, the defense and offense each lost one of their best players.

Not much arguement here. Many here are tired of hearing the negatives. I suspect some might consider you a troll just like myself.

You know I was being optimistic about the upcoming season, believing a 6-win team last year could win more with a better coaching staff.

Then I looked at 2 things:

1. The Yahoo ranking of units with the Bills being near the bottom in all of them. I can't dispute them. The O-line, D-line, quarterback, & wide receiver units are all very weak.

2. The schedule- I don't think they're going to win a divisional game with the other 3 teams all improving more than the Bills and there are only 3 winnable games (Kansas City, Detroit & Cleveland). They might have a chance vs Jacksonville & Chicago at home but I think we're looking at 4 wins ay best/

I hope I'm wrong and they're more competitive but right now I have few reasons to be optimistic.

Not much arguement here. Many here are tired of hearing the negatives. I suspect some might consider you a troll just like myself.

I Agree as well, and I for one always defended the fact that these guys are good enough to make it in the NFL and yet we all say they suck, let's see what coaching has to do with there talent being displayed. Or if they just really suck! MPL6876 I guess me and yourself are the biggest trolls on TBD because please don't say anything the "EXPERTS" don't like...

I Agree as well, and I for one always defended the fact that these guys are good enough to make it in the NFL and yet we all say they suck, let's see what coaching has to do with there talent being displayed. Or if they just really suck! MPL6876 I guess me and yourself are the biggest trolls on TBD because please don't say anything the "EXPERTS" don't like...

I will continue to be skeptical until proven otherwise.

I will continue to express my viewpoints even if they happen to be negitive and pessimistic.

I will not engage in childish name calling.

Buffalo Bills:

I was disappointed without a doubt, but I was never bitter. It would have been nice to win at least one, but as more time goes by, and this current team continues to stink up the joint, you realize how nice it would be just to compete to get back to a Superbowl much less win one.

My guess is because of the QB position. I personally think Cassel is way overrated, but the people that make these lists are still basing it on what he did in New England when Brady was out. Until he does something for more than a game or two in a row, Edwards (or any of our other 3 backup level QBs) won't be a positive factor in ranking the Bills against other teams.