How would you like us to beat Miami in the season opener?

Hossage

Select preferred victory  

110 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see?

• Guts. I want to physically pound the phins into submission.
    • Precision. I want the offense to click, passes caught, and the defense to get turnovers.
    • Heart. I want the Bills to come from behind and finish a see-saw game in the fourth quarter.
    • Blowout. I want to embarass Miami.
    • Other, please specify terms of victory.

Correct. As Herm Edwards said, "You play the game to win GET A TOP DRAFT PICK."

:rolleyes:

Currently, the Bills have major holes at QB, LT, C, RT, #1 WR (opposite Evans), etc. And that's just on offense. A team like that isn't going to win the Super Bowl, and probably isn't going to make the playoffs. But if the Bills end the season with a very early draft pick, they could take a QB like Ponder; and then they could trade back into the first round to draft a LT. Depth and rotational players could be found in rounds 4 - 7.

While this strategy wouldn't fill every hole this team has, it would address the two most critical. Then in the 2012 draft, the Bills could use their first round pick on a #1 WR, their 2nd rounder on a RT, and their third round pick on an OG. They'd move Wood to C. The holes on offense would then be filled; and the Bills team would then be dangerous! :nana:

But a lot of that danger element would disappear if the Bills didn't have a good QB. If your goal is to draft a Peyton Manning or a Philip Rivers or a Matt Ryan, it really helps to have a top-five pick!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Losing to get a higher draft pick is beyond ignorant...everyone knows that the draft is essentially a crap shoot. This team needs to win, plain and simple. If you want the Bills to lose, for any reason, you're not a fan

I want to see some signs of life in all phases of the game. I want to see our #2 guys on the defensive and offensive lines play with courage and look in shape, and I want our quarterbacks and receivers to play with confidence. I want a gutsy effort that shows us where we are.

Let me know what you guys would most like to see out of this team for the season opener. Ever day we get closer to the opener I get a little more pissed off.

EDIT: Sir Spiller, did my navy blue vest and southern drawl give it away?

Yes

I picked a see-saw battle because it would be nice to take the wind out of their sails and get into their heads early on. Set them up for continued failure you know. I think it would also give our guys alot of confidence if they could snatch victory from the jaws of defeat for once. It could possibly work wonders for our young team, with a new coaching staff, to get a victory that way.

Losing to get a higher draft pick is beyond ignorant...everyone knows that the draft is essentially a crap shoot. This team needs to win, plain and simple. If you want the Bills to lose, for any reason, you're not a fan

Obviously we see things very differently, but I'd like to focus on the part of your post where you claim that "the draft is essentially a crapshoot." Due to my lack of mind reading skills, I don't know what you, specifically, meant by that word. But many people use that word to mean an event entirely dependent on luck or random chance.

Whatever else the NFL draft may be, it is not that. The draft day outcomes that a Matt Millen will achieve are--all else being equal--going to be significantly inferior to those a Bill Polian will obtain. Player evaluation is a skill; and some GMs have more of that skill than others.

It is also true that earlier picks are more valuable than later picks. The Patriots once traded away two picks in the latter part of the first round to obtain a single pick in the top ten.

The players with the most talent, those who have proven the most at the college level, those with the fewest associated question marks, and those at the most sought-after positions, tend to be taken the earliest. In particular, the highest-rated QBs of any given draft are generally off the boards by pick #10, or (usually) pick #5. Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and Carson Palmer went first overall, Matt Ryan went third overall, and Philip Rivers went 4th overall.

According to the draft day value chart, the first overall pick is worth 3000 points; as compared to 850 points for the 20th overall pick. The reason that the first overall pick is worth 3.5 times as much as the 20th overall pick is because players like Peyton Manning, Bruce Smith, Orlando Pace, etc. tend to be taken first overall. With a very early draft pick, the Bills would have a much better chance of taking an elite player.

Obviously we see things very differently, but I'd like to focus on the part of your post where you claim that "the draft is essentially a crapshoot." Due to my lack of mind reading skills, I don't know what you, specifically, meant by that word. But many people use that word to mean an event entirely dependent on luck or random chance.

Whatever else the NFL draft may be, it is not that. The draft day outcomes that a Matt Millen will achieve are--all else being equal--going to be significantly inferior to those a Bill Polian will obtain. Player evaluation is a skill; and some GMs have more of that skill than others.

It is also true that earlier picks are more valuable than later picks. The Patriots once traded away two picks in the latter part of the first round to obtain a single pick in the top ten.

The players with the most talent, those who have proven the most at the college level, those with the fewest associated question marks, and those at the most sought-after positions, tend to be taken the earliest. In particular, the highest-rated QBs of any given draft are generally off the boards by pick #10, or (usually) pick #5. Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and Carson Palmer went first overall, Matt Ryan went third overall, and Philip Rivers went 4th overall.

According to the draft day value chart, the first overall pick is worth 3000 points; as compared to 850 points for the 20th overall pick. The reason that the first overall pick is worth 3.5 times as much as the 20th overall pick is because players like Peyton Manning, Bruce Smith, Orlando Pace, etc. tend to be taken first overall. With a very early draft pick, the Bills would have a much better chance of taking an elite player.

You don't need mind-reading skills...just some semblance of historical knowledge of the draft.

You bring up some Hall of Fame type players who got selected at #1

Here's some other #1 overall picks

JaMarcus Russell

David Carr

Michael Vick

Courtney Brown

Tim Couch

Ki-Jana Carter

Just in the past 15 years...6 busts at #1 overall.

A good GM doesn't need a top pick to get a great player...only needs a solid scouting staff and the knowledge of how well a player may adapt from college to the NFL

The ONLY thing guaranteed by a #1 pick is getting stuck paying a ridiculously large salary and signing bonus. If you get a player who doesn't work out, whether it be because he sucked like Russell or suffered severe injuries like Carter, your team is !@#$ED for several years getting out from under that enormous contract.

Wanting your team to lose is pathetic and shows you're not much of a fan.

Voting for the Bills to lose stinks.

I want precision. Only because I want to see visible proof that Chan and Co. have good gameday preparation, play calling, clock management and overall game planning.

I'd like to see Trent make good, quick decisions.

I'd like to see the offense take advantage of good field position - brought on by a couple turnovers and some great punt returns.

And I'd like to see us kill them in time of possession with some nice long drives.

I'd like that precision to result in a class A butt whooping.

Go Bills!!

I voted for other. The Bills are a rebuilding team, and as such need draft position more than they need a week 1 victory.

Rebuilding and winning are not mutually exclusive. You must be the first "Bills Fan" in history to hope for a loss. GTFO.

All of the above. GUTSY - PRECISION - BLOWOUT - WITH HEART

BO BILLS!

Dan Marino, D-Wade and LeBron James trot onto the field in Bills uniforms as legal substitutes for Buffalo with 3 seconds left and My Yami up by 5. D-Wade and LeBron line up as double WR's on the right. Marino takes the snap, D-Wade takes out My Yami's defensive back in a pick and Dan throws a perfect strike to LeBron in the endzone as time expires for the Bills shocking victory. Marino, Wade and James all line up with their backs to the Dolphins bench, drop trou and bend over for a "Triple Moon Over Miami", rip off their jerseys to reveal t shirts that read "I Hate Shula" and then flip off the crowd.

I fully expect the Dolphins to walk into RWS expecting pre-season game #5. After all, all anyone has been saying all off season is that the Bills are one of the NFL's worst teams.

Kickoff to the Bills, Spiller takes it to the house. Dolphins ball, pick by Jairus Byrd to the house. Before the 'Fins know what hit them they will be down 14 points. The rest of the game the Bills will control the game with their running attack and Miami will be confused by the Bills new 3-4.

The Bills will cruise to a 20-point win. Headlines in Miami Monday will read "Dolphins Beat Themselves".

PTR