Need to buy new computer

I need to buy a new laptop for a combination of home use and “work from home” use.

The only “necessities” are:

runs Windows (it gets connected to the system at work once a week)

runs the standard Office software.

runs a desktop scanner

downloads digital photos

no gaming or photo editing

I’m interested in what you techies out think I should look for and go with in terms of:

Operating System

Chip

RAM

Video Card/Memory

Hard Drive

CD/DVD Drive

Wireless and/or High-Speed Internet capabilities/Cards

USB Connections

Service contract

anything else that you think is important.

Also, I’d like to hear any horror stories that you may have, as well as any mistakes that you may have made (ex. Not buying a certain type of CD/DVD drive, inability to upgrade, etc.).

Thanks!

Operating System: XP Home or Pro.

Chip: Intel or AMD - PIV with hyperthreading or amd 3 GHZ or faster

RAM: 1 gig. No less.

Video Card/Memory: Latest NVIDIA or ATI with 128 meg. Preferably a PCIE card.

Hard Drive: Should be 80 gig or more, preferably SATA.

CD/DVD Drive: DVD writable at least.

Wireless and/or High-Speed Internet capabilities/Cards: Gigabit Lan is nice. Can be an onboard card.

USB Connections: Yes. And Firewire. USB 2.0 is standard now.

Service contract: Most offer one between 2 and 3 years.

Go with one of the big-name companies. I've had good luck with Dell. I've had a hard time with Gateway.

Operating System - Winodws XP Professional

Chip

RAM - at least 512M

Video Card/Memory

Hard Drive - at least 30 Gig

CD/DVD Drive - combo DVD/CDRW

Wireless and/or High-Speed Internet capabilities/Cards - 802.11g

USB Connections - two

Service contract - 3 years all inclusive. Will cost more, but if your LCD breaks after 1.2 years, it'll be worth it

CPU: At least 2.5ghz p4 or AMD

RAM: 512mb or greater.

Video: ATI or NVidia 64 or 128mb card. nothing fancy

OS: XP pro, unless your work calls for a certain Linux version.

HDD: 80gb or higher, SATA

CDrom: DVDrw/cdrw drive

LAN: if you buy from dell or gateway, etc, they will have an onboard LAN right on the motherboard. I'd stick with wired, unless you get a laptop, then get a centrino chip that has wireless built into it.

sound: Whatever the basic sound card option is, should work.

If you're going to upgrade in the future, get a whole lot of ram, top of the line sound card ($200 or so), most expensive ati or nvidia card ($400), fast sata HDD, and whatever the top of the line processor is.

For a basic computer that you've described, you'll spend about $500 with a cheapo monitor. If you get into heavy duty gaming, $4,000 is a good budget to get into. You can "build" your computer at one of the retailer's websites to meet your price and performance needs. good luck and let us know what you ended up with.

I personally build my computers, so they don't have a service plan. I think its a waste of money to buy a service plan. just my $2000/100000.

Buy a really fast computer that you connect to Kazaa and get a DVD burner on it so you can download and record all the movies you want.  Just ask Tracylee and BF which siftware to use.  I am sure it's legal.

142900[/snapback]

C'mon, it's the same thing as taping them off television. Really it is. :lol:

I need to buy a new laptop for a combination of home use and “work from home” use.

The only “necessities” are:

runs Windows (it gets connected to the system at work once a week)

runs the standard Office software.

runs a desktop scanner

downloads digital photos

no gaming or photo editing

I’m interested in what you techies out think I should look for and go with in terms of:

Operating System

Chip

RAM

Video Card/Memory

Hard Drive

CD/DVD Drive

Wireless and/or High-Speed Internet capabilities/Cards

USB Connections

Service contract

Also, I’d like to hear any horror stories that you may have, as well as any mistakes that you may have made (ex. Not buying a certain type of CD/DVD drive, inability to upgrade, etc.).

Thanks!

142586[/snapback]

If you're getting a laptop, I HIGHLY recommend wireless networking. I never realized until I got a wireless router just how little sense it made to make a mobile computer immobile by sticking a network cable into it.

USB ports are very necessary as well, very useful things in a laptop. Firewire is nice, but not truly necessary (I have one, it's fast as hell, but I don't use it all that much.)

oops... i guess i didn't see the laptop mentioned in the original post. It was like i pretended to skim over fake fat sunny's posts! As for my specs, they will pretty much be the same for a laptop. for the wireless portion, just make sure its 802.11g. My dad has a sony vaio laptop with a widescreen display. That thing rocks the world.