Strong Side Linebacker Article

I'm an ignoramous. Fine. Please name the starting two inside linebackers, and the starting two DE's for the Bills....right now, name these 4 guys who make up "some of our strongest positions." Oh what's wrong, you don't freakin' know who the starters will be, right? Because the Bills new coaches have installed new systems and brought in and drafted new players to join the current players, most of which all need to play new positions....right??

And exactly what about that situation makes ILB and DE two of the strongest positions on the team?? :thumbsup:

The starting ILB's will probably be Davis and Poz. The starting DE's will be Stroud and Dwan Edwards. Kyle Williams will be the 1-gap NT. The OLB's remain to be seen, hence the article. Whitner is an above average SS, but I agree that he hasn't played up to his 8th overall selection. TE's are incomplete given that the Bills didn't know how to use them the past few years. WR, specifically #2 WR, is a concern. And obviously QB and LT bear watching.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think people so much mind the pessimists. There are just a bunch of pessimists on here who tend to be jackasses and can't seem to live with the fact that someone else might not share their "everything sucks" point of view.

There isn't anyone out here who "can't live with the fact that someone else might not share their everything sucks point of view." Here's what's out here. (1) Eternal optimisits, who also tend to be extremely sensitive when realists disagree with their unfounded posts about how great coaches and Bills players are, despite the fact those same coaches and players have not coached or played great in their Bills' careers together yet. (2) Realists. Some more negative then others, and some who may even be pessimists. But their common ground is that they look at the Bills from a much more pragmatic, rational point of view, in comparison with other football teams in the NFL, not just from a "we love our beloved Buffalo Bills" point of view.

We are all Bills fans - in fact we are all Bills fanatics. But some of us (me included) are just plain sick and tired of the Bills not making the playoffs year after year, and until they improve on the field, we will be more cynical then most.

You are kidding me, right? <_<

Look around at every position of the Bills heading into training camp.

Punter - Great.

Kicker - Good.

RB - Good.

CB - Good.

Safety - OK to Good.

Special Teams - Always good, with UNBELIEVABLE at Kick Returns.

Now onto reality:

QB - !@#$ed

WR - !@#$ed

OL - !@#$ed

TE - !@#$ed

DL - !@#$ed

ILB - !@#$ed

OLB -!@#$ed

What football team do you think we are cheering for here, the Pats or Colts, who have maybe one or two positions that are as

!@#$ed??

If the Bills are not hit with their annual rash of 15 to 20 IR's, they could hang around .500 all season, maybe making a run at the final wildcard spot right up to the last couple of weeks, based on the apparent emphasis of Gailey's staff regarding training and working harder then the previous coaching staff.

But the Bills still need to become more talented, either by the young guys having a great learning season this year and blossoming, or in next years' free agency / draft. (If they play next year, that is!)

With that being said. The Bills are on the clock. Tick, Tick, Tick :thumbsup:

I'm an ignoramous. Fine. Please name the starting two inside linebackers, and the starting two DE's for the Bills....right now, name these 4 guys who make up "some of our strongest positions." Oh what's wrong, you don't freakin' know who the starters will be, right? Because the Bills new coaches have installed new systems and brought in and drafted new players to join the current players, most of which all need to play new positions....right??

And exactly what about that situation makes ILB and DE two of the strongest positions on the team?? :thumbsup:

Dwan Edwards and Stroud are our starting DEs. Edwards is considered a very good DE. Stroud is a question mark, but he has ideal size for the position. Andra Davis is one of our starting ILBs, he is a veteran of the 3-4, and considered a good player. Poz is our other ILB, and is a good LB.

Of course you knew none of this.

I don't know who is right for the position? Kelsey should be able to fight off blocks from TE and FB, but I have no idea how he would be in space. I think of the two, Ryan Denney would have been a better choice for the position. Batten and Ellis who knows? I remember what made Tally so good is he would stay at home, and hold his ground so bruce could run free. But Tally did struggle his first 2 or 3 years.

????

I think it going to be a long season with some upside. I just hope Ralph can hold on long enough so we can see this thing through.

I believe that Darryl Talley was a weakside linebacker…as he usually lined up behind Bruce Smith, who was a right defensive end. Most of the time, offenses are strong to the offensive right (defensive left).

Don't know why I had to point that out. I guess I needed to be a know-it-all. Sorry cadet.

Your post was quite good though.

The article doesn't mention WLB. Looking over the roster, apparently Maybin, Ellison, and Harris have been getting the bulk of the reps at that position.

Of course, someone playing WLB has to be at least a capable SLB, because it's not uncommon for teams to shift their TE, when the OLBs don't have enough time to swap places before the snap.

Kawika Mitchell might wind up fitting into the OLB picture somehow as well. Currently he is a backup ILB, but they might decide that he deserves the opportunity to compete for one of the starting OLB spots.

There isn't anyone out here who "can't live with the fact that someone else might not share their everything sucks point of view." Here's what's out here. (1) Eternal optimisits, who also tend to be extremely sensitive when realists disagree with their unfounded posts about how great coaches and Bills players are, despite the fact those same coaches and players have not coached or played great in their Bills' careers together yet. (2) Realists. Some more negative then others, and some who may even be pessimists. But their common ground is that they look at the Bills from a much more pragmatic, rational point of view, in comparison with other football teams in the NFL, not just from a "we love our beloved Buffalo Bills" point of view.

We are all Bills fans - in fact we are all Bills fanatics. But some of us (me included) are just plain sick and tired of the Bills not making the playoffs year after year, and until they improve on the field, we will be more cynical then most.

I think I agree with your synopsis of the team in terms of record and season outcome. I just don't believed the term F'ed was a fair assessment of those positions in question. I guess the jury is still out would be a much more appropriate assessment in my eyes that is all. 6-10 to 9-7 sounds very reasonable in terms of what this team is capable of but in two years 12-4 to 14-2 might be with in our grasp be patient as difficult as it is it takes time to build through the draft.

Yeah I'm a jackass for wondering how you didn't already know how !@#$ed at OLB, right? Again I must ask you, what football team are you following day in and day out while we wait for training camp to start? Do you really think that Chan Gailey is a combination of Lombardi and Belicheck, while his hand picked nobody of a DC, George Edwards is really a combination of Buddy and Rex Ryan? You must, if you don't realize how un-talented these players on the roster really are.

I'm not saying they will go 2-14 or 3-13 this season. But why do some fans act so shocked when it sinks in just how average most of the starters will be on September 12th.

Because some of us don't actually think about all of the players at every position every day of the offseason, like some obsessed d-bags around here apparently do. You're seriously getting on my ass for not having spent enough time this offseason thinking deep thoughts about the left outside linebacker position? So yes, if that's the case you are a serious jackass, like it or not.

I had the same thought .... yikes

Careful, dude. Someone around here is about to flame your ass for being as brain dead about the position as me.

Dwan Edwards and Stroud are our starting DEs. Edwards is considered a very good DE. Stroud is a question mark, but he has ideal size for the position. Andra Davis is one of our starting ILBs, he is a veteran of the 3-4, and considered a good player. Poz is our other ILB, and is a good LB.

Poz has not proven to me he is a good NFL linebacker yet. I don't know enough about Davis, but I do know he has not sniffed a Pro Bowl in his career yet. I really like Dawan Edwards, but am worried about the fact he failed 2 other team physicals during his free agency tour. I love big Marcus, and hope he adjusts to his new position.

Here is my point. The Bills are coming in with a new DC and defensive staff, new defense, some new players, with most of the new and current players not having played the 3-4 defense in the NFL yet. And, I like these new coaches, because they have made it clear that nobody's starting position is set in stone, which will (or at least should) bring out the best of all our players on defense. That means that those 4 guys you think are such obvious starters, may not even beat out the other players on their own team, to start by the home opener, much less stand out around the NFL this year!

But now compare that situation to let's say, the NY Jets, shall we? Just one of the 3 teams the Bills have to pass in the standings this year to win the division. They have the same coaches, most of the same starters and the same system they played last season in leading the entire NFL in team defense.

Can't you see how painfully behind the Bills are heading into this season? This season, you don't have to worry about team strengths, because we don't know what they are yet, if in fact they even have any.

Because some of us don't actually think about all of the players at every position every day of the offseason, like some obsessed d-bags around here apparently do. You're seriously getting on my ass for not having spent enough time this offseason thinking deep thoughts about the left outside linebacker position? So yes, if that's the case you are a serious jackass, like it or not.

You're missing the main point. They're going to line up in a 3-4, so they must be better. :thumbsup:

(Just kidding. Anybody that thinks the Bills front 7 on defense is set in stone is hopefully following their talent and working for Psychic Friends Network.)

I said one thing about your post; "You've got to be kidding, right?"....and then I went on to prove how much the Bills are average at most positions, not just OLB YOU then came back and called me a jackass for voicing that opinion. Was I supposed to just accept being called a jackass? I don't remember calling you a jackass, and now here you are calling be an obsessed d-bag and a serious jackass.

Tell you what, I'll end it here by just saying you're too freakin' sensitive to be on this board. I say "you've got to be kidding" and you say "you're a jackass." You have defensive issues my friend, but I will absolutely not reply to any more of your posts, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

Plus one--are there any FA's still available at that spot?

There might be free agents that have played strong side OLB out there, but don't expect Buddy to bring any more in. I think this season is for the current players to fit into the new schemes, and unless that injury bug hits again, Kelsay is your man. By the way, surely you knew that Chris Kelsay was penciled in as the starting OLB before now, didn't you? I am still surprised that this entire thread is all about how thin this position is for the Bills. Look at your entire Bills roster, most positions are pretty thin regarding quality talent.

I said one thing about your post; "You've got to be kidding, right?"....and then I went on to prove how much the Bills are average at most positions, not just OLB YOU then came back and called me a jackass for voicing that opinion. Was I supposed to just accept being called a jackass? I don't remember calling you a jackass, and now here you are calling be an obsessed d-bag and a serious jackass.

Obviously you're both missing the point and in denial. All I commented on was the state of the left OLB position, and how I hadn't really considered how bad things are there. You felt the need to be an ass about how anyone could not possibly have seen this before. And then you went on a similar rant about practically all positions, even though I made no comment about other positions or made my thoughts about our state at any other position. So basically you thought it was appropriate to rip someone for a pretty innocuous comment and to essentially question their sanity for not having put as much thought into it as you. So yeah, I'd say that's pretty much an ass in most people's books.

You don't have to accept it, I don't really care one way or the other. If you can't see the inappropriateness of your comments there's basically little hope for you anyway.

p

Tell you what, I'll end it here by just saying you're too freakin' sensitive to be on this board. I say "you've got to be kidding" and you say "you're a jackass." You have defensive issues my friend, but I will absolutely not reply to any more of your posts, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

Doubtful. I've been on the board far longer than you and dealt with far worse. If you think that's just sensitivity, you really need to take a step back and see yourself for what you really are.

In any case, welcome to ignore.

I think your assessment is open to questions. Lets face it our entire defense is open to questions because we are going to a new system. Many people will be playing out of position.

Look at our line Kyle Wms good motor but is he a 3-4 NT ???

Will Troup be able tro contribute much as a rookie ???

Stroud has the size for DE but how will he adjust to different position ???

Edwards is solid but what will Carrington bring to the table ???

Our OLB's who is going to start ??? Kelsey, Maybin, Torbor, Ellis..this maybe down right scary ??????

ILB's Davis is familiar with the 3-4 he is solid against the run but his weakness is pass coverage..not a top LB at this point.

Poz is not a proven good LB yet, in fact at the end of last season I was all for moving Poz to the outside

because he tends to get manhandled on the inside. Huge questions for our LB's.

Davis, Edwards, Troup, Carrington are good pickups and makes us bigger and stronger on paper.

Hopefully preseason will answer many questions.

:thumbsup:

You are kidding me, right? :thumbsup:

Look around at every position of the Bills heading into training camp.

Punter - Great.

Kicker - Good.

RB - Good.

CB - Good.

Safety - OK to Good.

Special Teams - Always good, with UNBELIEVABLE at Kick Returns.

Now onto reality:

QB - !@#$ed

WR - !@#$ed

OL - !@#$ed

TE - !@#$ed

DL - !@#$ed

ILB - !@#$ed

OLB -!@#$ed

What football team do you think we are cheering for here, the Pats or Colts, who have maybe one or two positions that are as

!@#$ed??

If the Bills are not hit with their annual rash of 15 to 20 IR's, they could hang around .500 all season, maybe making a run at the final wildcard spot right up to the last couple of weeks, based on the apparent emphasis of Gailey's staff regarding training and working harder then the previous coaching staff.

But the Bills still need to become more talented, either by the young guys having a great learning season this year and blossoming, or in next years' free agency / draft. (If they play next year, that is!)

You cannot learn talent, so what you state here makes no sense. You either have talent or you don't. I think a big misconception is that the Bills have no talent. They have talent, it's just that those talented players haven't proven that they can play in the NFL yet.

I personally like the TE, DL, and ILB positions on this team and feel they will be better than expected this year.

Poz has not proven to me he is a good NFL linebacker yet. I don't know enough about Davis, but I do know he has not sniffed a Pro Bowl in his career yet. I really like Dawan Edwards, but am worried about the fact he failed 2 other team physicals during his free agency tour. I love big Marcus, and hope he adjusts to his new position.

Here is my point. The Bills are coming in with a new DC and defensive staff, new defense, some new players, with most of the new and current players not having played the 3-4 defense in the NFL yet. And, I like these new coaches, because they have made it clear that nobody's starting position is set in stone, which will (or at least should) bring out the best of all our players on defense. That means that those 4 guys you think are such obvious starters, may not even beat out the other players on their own team, to start by the home opener, much less stand out around the NFL this year!

But now compare that situation to let's say, the NY Jets, shall we? Just one of the 3 teams the Bills have to pass in the standings this year to win the division. They have the same coaches, most of the same starters and the same system they played last season in leading the entire NFL in team defense.

Can't you see how painfully behind the Bills are heading into this season? This season, you don't have to worry about team strengths, because we don't know what they are yet, if in fact they even have any.

Good, then we ought to be able to beat them at least once this year too. :thumbsup: