Strong Side Linebacker Article

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...69-b7fd340b1d31

I really hope Ellis or Batten show the coaches something this summer, I'm not trying to pile on Chris Kelsay but god damn will I be upset if this guy is starting somewhere on this defense. I'm not sure what he's done to prove he is a starting calliber player in any defense (I thought he was continually outplayed in our old scheme by Denney). Can we please cut this guy already or at least kick him down a couple of notches on the depth chart. I'm not sure I get what coaching staff after coaching staff sees from this guy that I don't, yeah I'm not an NFL coach but I've watched enough of his play to not get excited about it. I'm pulling for Batten, he hasn't had the chance yet to show me he sucks..... :censored:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize how !@#$ed we are at the position until I read that...

You are kidding me, right? :censored:

Look around at every position of the Bills heading into training camp.

Punter - Great.

Kicker - Good.

RB - Good.

CB - Good.

Safety - OK to Good.

Special Teams - Always good, with UNBELIEVABLE at Kick Returns.

Now onto reality:

QB - !@#$ed

WR - !@#$ed

OL - !@#$ed

TE - !@#$ed

DL - !@#$ed

ILB - !@#$ed

OLB -!@#$ed

What football team do you think we are cheering for here, the Pats or Colts, who have maybe one or two positions that are as

!@#$ed??

If the Bills are not hit with their annual rash of 15 to 20 IR's, they could hang around .500 all season, maybe making a run at the final wildcard spot right up to the last couple of weeks, based on the apparent emphasis of Gailey's staff regarding training and working harder then the previous coaching staff.

But the Bills still need to become more talented, either by the young guys having a great learning season this year and blossoming, or in next years' free agency / draft. (If they play next year, that is!)

Strongside linebacker (per Wikepedia)

The strongside linebacker (SLB) is often nicknamed "Sam" for purposes of calling a blitz. Since the strong side of the offensive team is the side on which the tight end lines up, or whichever side contains the most personnel, the strongside linebacker usually lines up across from the tight end. Often the strongside linebacker will be called upon to tackle the running back on a play, because the back will be following the tight end's block. He is most often the strongest linebacker; at the least he possesses the ability to withstand, shed, and fight off blocks from a TE or a FB blocking the backside of a pass play. The linebacker should also have strong safety abilities in pass situation to cover the tight end in man on man situations. He should also have considerable quickness to read and get into coverage in zone situations.

I don't know who is right for the position? Kelsey should be able to fight off blocks from TE and FB, but I have no idea how he would be in space. I think of the two, Ryan Denney would have been a better choice for the position. Batten and Ellis who knows? I remember what made Tally so good is he would stay at home, and hold his ground so bruce could run free. But Tally did struggle his first 2 or 3 years.

????

I think it going to be a long season with some upside. I just hope Ralph can hold on long enough so we can see this thing through.

Punter - Great.

Kicker - Good.

RB - Good.

CB - Good.

Safety - OK to Good.

Now onto reality:

QB - !@#$ed

WR - !@#$ed

OL - !@#$ed

TE - !@#$ed

DL - !@#$ed

ILB - !@#$ed

OLB -!@#$ed

What football team do you think we are cheering for here, the Pats or Colts, who have maybe one or two positions that are as

!@#$ed??

If the Bills are not hit with their annual rash of 15 to 20 IR's, they could hang around .500 all season, maybe making a run at the final wildcard spot right up to the last couple of weeks, based on the apparent emphasis of Gailey's staff regarding training and working harder then the previous coaching staff.

But the Bills still need to become more talented, either by the young guys having a great learning season this year and blossoming, or in next years' free agency / draft. (If they play next year, that is!)

I disagree with some of this. You are right there are plenty of question marks but we are OK at ILB, WR is much better than most are predicting Steve Johnson and Marcus Eaisly will be very good and Hardy may be Ok as well. TE I think will be very good Nelson may have a break out year. OL not good, QB biggest ?, OLB not good, DL on the bad side of OK but some talent if Dwan Edwards and Stroud play well together. I think it could be alot better team than most think but I guess the Kool Aid is starting to taste good on these hot summer days.

I disagree with some of this. You are right there are plenty of question marks but we are OK at ILB, WR is much better than most are predicting Steve Johnson and Marcus Eaisly will be very good and Hardy may be Ok as well. TE I think will be very good Nelson may have a break out year. OL not good, QB biggest ?, OLB not good, DL on the bad side of OK but some talent if Dwan Edwards and Stroud play well together. I think it could be alot better team than most think but I guess the Kool Aid is starting to taste good on these hot summer days.

ILB and DE are some of our strongest positions. This guy is a just an ignoramus.

Not Kool Aid. That post was silly.

Punter - Great.

Kicker - Good.

RB - Good.

CB - Good.

Safety - OK to Good.

Now onto reality:

QB - !@#$ed

WR - !@#$ed

OL - !@#$ed

TE - !@#$ed

DL - !@#$ed

ILB - !@#$ed

OLB -!@#$ed

!@#$ed??

What are you, a jackass? I just said "I didn't realize how !@#$ed we are at the position until I read that."

Punter - Great.

Kicker - Good.

RB - Good.

CB - Good.

Safety - OK to Good.

Now onto reality:

QB - !@#$ed

WR - !@#$ed

OL - !@#$ed

TE - !@#$ed

DL - !@#$ed

ILB - !@#$ed

OLB -!@#$ed

!@#$ed??

So we have two 1000+ yard RB's and a rookie record breaker.. but we're only "Good" at RB? LOL amazing

Not to mention our rookie FS had the most INT's in the league.. and yet we are only Ok to good there?

ILB and DE are some of our strongest positions. This guy is a just an ignoramus.

I'm an ignoramous. Fine. Please name the starting two inside linebackers, and the starting two DE's for the Bills....right now, name these 4 guys who make up "some of our strongest positions." Oh what's wrong, you don't freakin' know who the starters will be, right? Because the Bills new coaches have installed new systems and brought in and drafted new players to join the current players, most of which all need to play new positions....right??

And exactly what about that situation makes ILB and DE two of the strongest positions on the team?? :censored:

What has Johnson, Easley and Hardy EVER done at the NFL level?

So we have two 1000+ yard RB's and a rookie record breaker.. but we're only "Good" at RB? LOL amazing

Not to mention our rookie FS had the most INT's in the league.. and yet we are only Ok to good there?

Actually, you can say the Bills have two 1,000 yards RB's plus the most dynamic RB from this years draft, if you like. But their grade in my opinion is still GOOD, because they will have to run behind a BAD OL this season.

Byrd is the only reason I added "to good" to OK. Please name the starting SS right now. Oops, you can't do it, because Donte Whitner has not played anywhere near a number 8 pick in the first round should be playing 4 years into his career. He has to actually win the starting position in training camp over Wilson and Scott first.

Actually, you can say the Bills have two 1,000 yards RB's plus the most dynamic RB from this years draft, if you like. But their grade in my opinion is still GOOD, because they will have to run behind a BAD OL this season.

Byrd is the only reason I added "to good" to OK. Please name the starting SS right now. Oops, you can't do it, because Donte Whitner has not played anywhere near a number 8 pick in the first round should be playing 4 years into his career. He has to actually win the starting position in training camp over Wilson and Scott first.

Regardless of who starts, we have 3 capable starters at SS. I like all three players. I would say that is much better than ok. We have great depth at SS and RB..

What are you, a jackass? I just said "I didn't realize how !@#$ed we are at the position until I read that."

Yeah I'm a jackass for wondering how you didn't already know how !@#$ed at OLB, right? Again I must ask you, what football team are you following day in and day out while we wait for training camp to start? Do you really think that Chan Gailey is a combination of Lombardi and Belicheck, while his hand picked nobody of a DC, George Edwards is really a combination of Buddy and Rex Ryan? You must, if you don't realize how un-talented these players on the roster really are.

I'm not saying they will go 2-14 or 3-13 this season. But why do some fans act so shocked when it sinks in just how average most of the starters will be on September 12th. Like I said, maybe 7-9-0, maybe 8-8-0, if everything goes great, maybe even 9-7-0, because it looks like these average players will at least play with more work ethic and discipline anyway.

I put Jackson and Spiller well ahead of Lynch. Lynch is more of a smash mouth RB and he can't pick up the blitz or catch the ball as well as the other two. There isn't as much value in that type of RB as there used to be.

It's still interesting how some people can blast pessimists, then hang all their optimism on unproven commodities. That is all.

I don't think people so much mind the pessimists. There are just a bunch of pessimists on here who tend to be jackasses and can't seem to live with the fact that someone else might not share their "everything sucks" point of view.

Not Kool Aid. That post was silly.

If my post was silly, then please rate all the Bills' positions yourself for me. But as you do, try to remember that there are very few positions on the entire team where anyone really knows who the starters will be, and that those starters may very well be rookies or very inexperienced young vets. Fans out here might think that's just great for team speed or strength or competitivness in training camp. However, I tend to be realistic, and think that it will just make the Bills end up being the least talented and least experienced team in the AFC East again, only with new coaches and a lot of new players.