Bills were NOT ahead or tied going into the 4th QTR in 14 of 16 games

Just correcting the thread here which makes this claim. The claim is that in 14 out of 16 games last year, the Bills were ahead or tied going into the 4th quarter. It's really tempting because it would mean, "Hey, our problems were all about conditioning."

It's an urban myth that's been floating around for months. It's NOT true.

Over the next few hours, I'll post links to the game books on nfl.com of games where it's not true.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just correcting the thread here which makes this claim. The claim is that in 14 out of 16 games last year, the Bills were ahead or tied going into the 4th quarter. It's really tempting because it would mean, "Hey, our problems were all about conditioning."

Over the next few hours, I'll post links to the game books on nfl.com of games where it's not true.

5 games it was not true in.

Considering they won 6, it means they blew 5 4th quarter tied or ahead moments. Not impressive but not the stupidity of the claim.

A very quick look says it was 12 of 16.

Here you go

Week 1 - Winning

Week 2 - Winning

Week 3 - Losing; Within 3

Week 4 - Losing

Week 5 - Tied

Week 6 - Tied

Week 7 - Winning

Week 8 - Winning

Week 9 - BYE WEEK

Week 10 - Tied

Week 11 - Winning

Week 12 - Losing; Within 7 (but won)

Week 13 - Losing; Within 7

Week 14 - Winning

Week 15 - Losing

Week 16 - Losing

Week 17 - Winning

So here are the real stats;

In 7/16 we were winning entering the 4th quarter.

In 10/16 we were winning or tied entering the 4th quarter.

In 11/16 we were winning, tied, or with 3 entering the 4th quarter.

In 13/16 we were winning, tied, or within 7 entering the 4th quarter.

So basically, we were only out of 3 games by the 4th quarter. Not too shabby.

"an urban myth?" Does this mean that it is not true in rural areas?

Also the claim that I have always seen is within one score, which would constitute a "winnable" game.

Conditioning was obviously a huge issue. I believe it was probably in the top two....right behind the fact that our offense was like a Tecmo Bowl playbook.

Here you go

I think the original stat that was posted stated that entering or at some point in the fourth period, we were tied or ahead, and not just entering the fourth period. So, for instance, the week 12 game where we were down by 7 but won by 17 would fit that criterion. The stat was wrong, and has since been distorted. but I think it was 12 of 16 where at some point in the fourth period we were tied or ahead.

You have to look at it from both sides though.

Sure we COULD have won a lot of those games. But we also COULD have lost a lot of the games we won.

KC - Chris Chambers dropped TD pass with under 2 mins to go

Mia - Losing their PB caliber NT to injury and us actually being able to run on them

Jets- haveing 6 interceptions and winning in OT on a FG

Some are saying "We arent far off from the playoffs"

One could just as easily say "We arent that far off from drafting 1st overall"

Im not saying we coulda shoulda won this game lost that game, I just wanted to point out there are two sides to the picture.

Im mean, IMO the Blls coulda went 16-0, I mean, they were tied at one point in every single game!!! :thumbsup:

Here you go

Looks pretty average to me. Perhaps slightly above average for a team of our record, but not all that much, I would bet.

That's how most wins work. Most wins aren't huge mismatches. Most wins are reasonably close, but the better team ends up winning.

Anyway, the main point of my thread is to prevent this urban myth from continuing any further. I'm sure the OP saw this stat somewhere and put it up in good faith. As I said, this has been floating around for a while.

This is why asking for links is reasonable, not just some stupid nuisance. Otherwise we get these nonsensical things floating around the boards for months, if not forever.

You have to look at it from both sides though.

Sure we COULD have won a lot of those games. But we also COULD have lost a lot of the games we won.

KC - Chris Chambers dropped TD pass with under 2 mins to go

Mia - Losing their PB caliber NT to injury and us actually being able to run on them

Jets- haveing 6 interceptions and winning in OT on a FG

Some are saying "We arent far off from the playoffs"

One could just as easily say "We arent that far off from drafting 1st overall"

Im not saying we coulda shoulda won this game lost that game, I just wanted to point out there are two sides to the picture.

Im mean, IMO the Blls coulda went 16-0, I mean, they were tied at one point in every single game!!! :thumbsup:

Exactly. That's how things go in football.

I believe it(conditioning) was probably in the top two....right behind the fact that our offense was like a Tecmo Bowl playbook.

I'm putting this in my signature, i might even have it tattooed accross my ass. Best description of the Bills offense ever. :thumbsup:

I will cherish this quote for years to come....

Looks pretty average to me. Perhaps slightly above average for a team of our record, but not all that much, I would bet.

That's how most wins work. Most wins aren't huge mismatches. Most wins are reasonably close, but the better team ends up winning.

Anyway, the main point of my thread is to prevent this urban myth from continuing any further. I'm sure the OP saw this stat somewhere and put it up in good faith. As I said, this has been floating around for a while.

This is why asking for links is reasonable, not just some stupid nuisance. Otherwise we get these nonsensical things floating around the boards for months, if not forever.

You're a fine one to be calling people out on "urban myths."

As recently as yesterday or the day before you trotted out your repeated myth about Gaither's lack of work ethic not surfacing until he was in the pros and that the rumor was floated by the Ravens to get him into camp. That's pure legend that's been refuted several times around here and by his own college coach with links to the articles where Friedgen talks about it. Yet you want to ignore the facts and continue to post your own myths while many of us that live in Maryland and have followed Gaither since high school have known that he's had dedication issues since before college.

Well, the OP of the thread that said the Bills were tied or ahead in 14/16 games going into the 4th qtr last season is a helluva lot closer to the truth than your continued bs about Gaither and his non-existent problems with work ethic.

Just sayin'.

GO BILLS!!!

Here you go

utterly meaningless

the 4th quarter counts just as much as any other

a loss is a loss

This was already covered in the other thread. This smacks of trolling to me.

Go read the other thread again. More than half the posters never read anything but the first post, and think that that stat is true.

And frankly, I don't care what smacks of trolling to you ...

EDIT: ... I hadn't said a thing to you in this thread and you're getting personal. The mark of a jerk or a troll.

You're a fine one to be calling people out on "urban myths."

As recently as yesterday or the day before you trotted out your repeated myth about Gaither's lack of work ethic not surfacing until he was in the pros and that the rumor was floated by the Ravens to get him into camp. That's pure legend that's been refuted several times around here and by his own college coach with links to the articles where Friedgen talks about it. Yet you want to ignore the facts and continue to post your own myths while many of us that live in Maryland and have followed Gaither since high school have known that he's had dedication issues since before college.

Well, the OP of the thread that said the Bills were tied or ahead in 14/16 games going into the 4th qtr last season is a helluva lot closer to the truth than your continued bs about Gaither and his non-existent problems with work ethic.

Just sayin'.

GO BILLS!!!

I was referring to Gaither's work ethic in the pros. It has never been questioned till this season.

Frankly, I don't care about college stuff once a guy gets to the pros. Before the draft, your college record is all that matters. After the draft, nothing but the pros matters. That's why I can't stand these people who want to try to evaluate people who've been playing in the pros for three years by looking at their college evals. It could not be more beside the point. Like, say ... your point in this post. Who ... cares? If you and other Maryland people want to obsess, go ahead. But you should understand that the rest of us don't give a damn about what happened before the draft.

Gaither has had NO motivation issues in the pros, where it matters, until this offseason's OTAs.

If you care about college stuff, I know there are a lot of Terp boards where you'd have lots of fascinated listeners about this. But if you want to talk UMaryland historical facts here, forgive us if we nod off. As far as I'm concerned, this stuff is about as relevant as Gaither's 2nd grade report cards and which merit badges he didn't get in boy scouts.

I'm just sayin' too.

I was referring to Gaither's work ethic in the pros. It has never been questioned till this season.

Frankly, I don't care about college stuff once a guy gets to the pros. Before the draft, your college record is all that matters. After the draft, nothing but the pros matters. That's why I can't stand these people who want to try to evaluate people who've been playing in the pros for three years by looking at their college evals. It could not be more beside the point. Like, say ... your point in this post. Who ... cares? If you and other Maryland people want to obsess, go ahead. But you should understand that the rest of us don't give a damn about what happened before the draft.

Gaither has had NO motivation issues in the pros, where it matters, until this offseason.

If you care about college stuff, I know there are a lot of Terp boards where you'd have lots of fascinated listeners about this. But if you want to talk UMaryland historical facts here, forgive us if we nod off.

I'm just sayin' too.

Right. Nice try. Do you want to go and delete all your previous posts where you did indeed question those of us who referred to his lack of dedication in college? You seemed to care an awful lot about his "college stuff" in those posts. This is the FIRST time you try to deflect that bs by suggesting you don't care about college stuff once a guy gets in the pros.

So, how do you approach each annual draft when you don't care about a player's "college stuff?" I'm sure you don't even keep up with it then seeing as how it's irrelevant to you. Every GM, HC, Scout, Player Personnel Director, etc. in the league cares A TON about a player's "college stuff" but I'm glad you can just rest easy with it.

I don't mind your naivete when it comes to the game of football. Many around here are on a learning curve in that regard. You're still learning obviously. So feel free to ask questions and create posts that show your improving knowledge but please don't try to get away with pure bs. Don't question others and their facts when you leave yourself open for the same scrutiny. There's a word for it but I'm nodding off and can't think of it at the moment.

GO BILLS!!!

Maybe Im missing the point here.......but I dont think of conditioning when I see that stat I see

"play not to lose"

DJ's philosphy was to keep the scoring down on both offenses....and find a way to win at the end of the game.

I hate that philosophy........while i have no problem with a 3 point win.......I hate the fact that we put so much pressure on our defense to keep us in games.....also it keeps them from gambling on defense and giving up first down after first down.......keeping our defense on the field and causing defensive players to get nicked up......

For the love of god.....lets play for touchdowns this year not field goals

so wait, we slow down in the 4th quarter of tight games due to conditioning?

u mean the players dont get pumped with adrenaline and all hyped up with the game on the line?

Against a team that runs runs runs on us all day, and have big time of posession advatages, okay, it is a factor late in games that the bills tire. But ultimately, its not THAT big a factor. we didnt tire prefusely in all our losses, causing us to lose. I mean, the other teams wern't tired? cmon

We lost games bc we were out coached, and when we got behind and had to throw, our line couldnt block. And we wernt as talented. After that, u can start nitpicking.