Why are some of you so Pessimistic?

I am not a pessimistic or optimistic person, I'm objective.

I strip away personal feelings and passions and just look at facts.

Based on those facts, I predict, this year, like the past 10 years, will not be good.

We did not have the personnel to compete last year, and we really haven't done anything that will change that (for this season anyway).

That, and we are in arguably the toughest division in football.

I got a little passionate and excited when we brought Marv back and went optimist for a season.

Forgive me.

Yeah, I was optimistic in 2007, too. It looked like Losman was getting it and our defense was on an up-trend. Didn't work out well, though.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whereas it's totally different for you pie-eyed optimists. If the one-percent chance comes true and we make the playoffs this year, not a single one of you will say "I told you so." You are all too high-minded and principled for that.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Yeah, you're right. For the past 11 years I decided to take that 1% chance that the Bills would be good just so I could say that I was right. What a glutton for pain I must be.

Look, I've been around the perverable pessimists for a long time. We all probable can recall that uncle, brother, father, or friend that had to constantly bad mouth the Bills. Even during the Super Bowl runs, I'd notice them concealing a smile when the Bills were on a role, but when the Super Bowls were done and the Bills came away as the loser they would proudly proclaim "See I told ya they sucked! They'll never when win!"

And what's with the high-minded comment? I don't believe I was refering to you personally, or was I?

Yeah, you're right. For the past 11 years I decided to take that 1% chance that the Bills would be good just so I could say that I was right. What a glutton for pain I must be.

Look, I've been around the perverable pessimists for a long time. We all probable can recall that uncle, brother, father, or friend that had to constantly bad mouth the Bills. Even during the Super Bowl runs, I'd notice them concealing a smile when the Bills were on a role, but when the Super Bowls were done and the Bills came away as the loser they would proudly proclaim "See I told ya they sucked! They'll never when win!"

And what's with the high-minded comment? I don't believe I was refering to you personally, or was I?

And another thing. The original thread asked why some are so pessimistic. Nothing wrong with being honest and objective. Personnaly, I'm not expecting a great deal from the Bills this year. But, I won't write them completely off either. If they have a good year I'll simply enjoy the ride. If they have a bad year, even though I expect they might, I'll still be disappointed. Just like the last 11 years. I promise you I won't come back on here either way to proclaim "See I told ya so." I have a life that has a few more higher priorities.

Most of my pessimism is a reaction to the over optimistic on this board that simply believe all the crap they read into a player making a catch in spring training or how fast or how much weight someone can lift. These over optimistic transpose all of that noise into bellicose announcements that below average players and a below average team will all of a sudden transpose itself and make the playoffs with pro bowl nominations for all. The over optimistic simply ignore the fact that every team in our division continues to improve at a rate that exceeds ours. The fact is this is still a below average team with no stars, except the punter. The over optimistic look at under performers like Lee Evans and think he is a top wide out. That ship sailed when he signed his fat contract.

I'm just curious about the make up of some of the people on here. Is it in your genes that some of you are so pessimistic of the Bills? Is it so deeply ingrained in your souls that the outlook is so bad?

I know that most of us here have an optimistic outlook of the Bills, no matter how bleak things have looked for a while. The majority of us have read up and studied our team and know things haven't worked out the best for years. But we realize things can go better. How can things go worse?

We've upgraded our D and we have a man in charge who is known for making the most of an O. If we had upgraded our O in the draft instead of the D, I bet some of you would still find something to complain about.

Seriously though, I'm just curious, have some of you been so pessimistic all your life?

I'm not saying at all that you shouldn't post. I actually like reading your points of views at times because it's good to see different aspects and views of the game. But really, pessimism can go too far.

I'de much rather read optimistic posts from people who do their research (like a lot of people here do).

Thoughts?

Well, I'll give you reasons why we're all so pessimistic:

1. The Bills haven't made the postseason in a decade.

2. The Bills had 3 chances to get a QB of the future but took a running back when we already had a good running back.

3. The other 3 teams in the division have all made the postseason in the last 2 Years.

4. The other winning teams in the conference from last year all had some type of QB sensation

5. Trent is not a good QB and although for some reason he is the starting QB over the far better Ryan Fitzpatrick.

6. The Bills let go of T.O. when he was finally turning around.

7. Finally, our coach believes he can make a playoff caliber team with scrubs.

That is why we're so pessimistic

Well, I'll give you reasons why we're all so pessimistic:

1. The Bills haven't made the postseason in a decade.

2. The Bills had 3 chances to get a QB of the future but took a running back when we already had a good running back.

3. The other 3 teams in the division have all made the postseason in the last 2 Years.

4. The other winning teams in the conference from last year all had some type of QB sensation

5. Trent is not a good QB and although for some reason he is the starting QB over the far better Ryan Fitzpatrick.

6. The Bills let go of T.O. when he was finally turning around.

7. Finally, our coach believes he can make a playoff caliber team with scrubs.

That is why we're so pessimistic

My response to your 7 reasons.

1. The law of averages is heavily on our side.

2. For every rookie phenom QB of the future there are 20 busts. Brady Quinn anyone?

3. What does that have to do with our team? When did jealousy become a part of being a fan of your team?

4. Aahhh, when was Sanchez a sensation last year?

5. Are you kidding me about Fitzpatrick? Trent may never be as good as we thought he might be a couple of years ago, but come on already, Fitzpatrick?

6. And T.O. has signed with who after being released? Not very much in demand is he?

7. Yeah, I'd much rather have a coach who stands up during OTAs and declares, "Ya know, we suck, so don't expect much, ok?"

The ironic thing about all of this is that the people who claim to be true fans because they don't criticize the Bills are actually anything but for that same reason.

Real fans do not get excited when their team hires retread coaches and 70+ year old rookie GMs.

Real fans do not say "oh well, let's see how they do" when an owner benches Flutie for Johnson, or the team drafts RBs and DBs over and over in the first round.

Real fans do not tell themselves that the Bills can get to the playoffs when 60% of the starting offensive line hasn't played a down in the NFL and the new OC just got hired a few weeks earlier.

What do real fans do in these scenarios? They whine, complain and B word. Why? Because they care and the dumb things this team continually does actually hurts them. The ones who can get excited about this joke of a franchise just aren't as emotionally invested in the team. And that's okay. They're the same people who will say "oh get a life, it's only a football game" or something to that effect. This mentality has served you well for the last 10 years, I'm sure.

Just know this though: When they finally do win the big one, it'll feel a lot better to the actual real fans than it will to the "why are you so pessimistic?" group.

You can't fault fans for being pessimistic when every other team in our division is getting better and we're treading water. Who wants to be the Baltimore Orioles of the NFL?

That being said, I'm looking forward to this season. If our hodgepoge line can keep our QB's brain from being frapped, I'm interested to see what our 3 headed RB attack can do.

What do real fans do in these scenarios? They whine, complain and B word. Why? Because they care and the dumb things this team continually does actually hurts them. The ones who can get excited about this joke of a franchise just aren't as emotionally invested in the team. And that's okay. They're the same people who will say "oh get a life, it's only a football game" or something to that effect. This mentality has served you well for the last 10 years, I'm sure.

I think the example of, 'if your kid's little league team sucks, are you going to stop cheering?' Are you less 'emotionally' invested because you keep cheering for them anyway? I'm under no illusions that the team is going to have a difficult year in what seems like a tough division. I'm not going to somehow be 'less interested' in rooting for them.

You can be pessimistic all you want, but we're not your therapist. I know I'm tired of feeling like I'm trying to talk to a room of depressed teenagers who are unable to entertain any thought that is not exactly what they think.

I am not a pessimistic or optimistic person, I'm objective.

I strip away personal feelings and passions and just look at facts.

Based on those facts, I predict, this year, like the past 10 years, will not be good.

We did not have the personnel to compete last year, and we really haven't done anything that will change that (for this season anyway).

That, and we are in arguably the toughest division in football.

I got a little passionate and excited when we brought Marv back and went optimist for a season.

Forgive me.

My thoughts exactly on this topic...

When the chips are down, I will always root for this team... Even when its December, they have 4 wins and no chance at the postseason, I want them to win games vs. just getting a better draft pick... But that doesn't mean I have to look at them 24/7, year after year through rose-colored glasses either.. and they have done nothing over the last few seasons, save picking up a good player here and there, to warrant optimism...

My thoughts exactly on this topic...

When the chips are down, I will always root for this team... Even when its December, they have 4 wins and no chance at the postseason, I want them to win games vs. just getting a better draft pick... But that doesn't mean I have to look at them 24/7, year after year through rose-colored glasses either.. and they have done nothing over the last few seasons, save picking up a good player here and there, to warrant optimism...

I have the opposite opinion but there are times I can agree with you. Here are the two best examples. If the Bills are in contention for a team changing player, have a few wins & losing out guarantees the ability to draft that player, I don't want them to win & make a bad season even worse by just missing out on a sure thing. I'm talking Bruce Smith, Troy Aikman, Peyton Manning types. Now they don't come along every year, but say a guy like Jake Locker has a great senior year & is viewed in the Manning/Aikman class. The last thing I want to do is beat the Jets & lose out on getting a guy who can win my team the Super Bowl. One win in a totally lost season isn't worth it. On the other hand, if there is no clear cut sure thing who the Bills will miss out on by winning that final game. I'll root for the team. Even though it was against scrubs, last season's finale was very enjoyable to watch, I loved watching the game in the snow and had no concerns about who the Bills would draft that afternoon.

Sometimes the best thing to do is just lose 1 more game, sometimes it doesn't matter. Like a gambler betting on games, sometimes you have to pick your spots. If we have a chance at an almost sure thing by losing to the Jets, all I can say during that last game is J-E-T-S Jets, Jets, Jets....then 2 years from now, I can watch the BILLS in the Super Bowl & not the Jets, NE or Miami.