Giants' disgruntled LT might be worth keeping an eye on.

LT David Diehl doesn't want to relinquish his position and the Giants are considering moving him to RT or even to the G position. He signed a 6 year/$31 million contract in 2008 and that would be hefty salary for a G. If I'm not mistaken the Giants are hurting at the S position and trading Whitner might not be a far fetched scenario if the Bills are not confident in their current players at the T position. This is pure speculation but I believe a reasonable possibility.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...=NFL&id=940

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/06...naire_se_6.html

What is wrong with you people. Want to trade our good players away for people are are unhappy. I am so tired of the trade Lynch and Whitner BS. They aren't being traded and will probably be starters opening day.

DEAL.

What is wrong with you people. Want to trade our good players away for people are are unhappy. I am so tired of the trade Lynch and Whitner BS. They aren't being traded and will probably be starters opening day.

DEAL.

No way will Lynch start opening day, man.

Would he be a major upgrade?

Absolutely. If you watched the games you wouldn't have asked that question.

At this point I'm not looking for an anchor LT who can be a shut down player. Those types of LTs are few and very hard to find. If the Bills can get "competent" LT play they will be so much better on offense. If you have a major hole on the OL it is going to be exploited and will neutralize the good play of the rest of the line.

In my view, the best way to develop Demetrius Bell and Meredith is to gradually work them in. Playing behind a capable veteran LT will help them learn how to play this very challenging position. Throwing them to the wolves and let them learn the hard way results in the rest of the offense being set back.

LT David Diehl doesn't want to relinquish his position and the Giants are considering moving him to RT or even to the G position. He signed a 6 year/$31 million contract in 2008 and that would be hefty salary for a G. If I'm not mistaken the Giants are hurting at the S position and trading Whitner might not be a far fetched scenario if the Bills are not confident in their current players at the T position. This is pure speculation but I believe a reasonable possibility.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...=NFL&id=940

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/06...naire_se_6.html

[/quote

I have watched David Diehl play since day one with the Giants.. There are times he is a total monster, runs over people or pancakes them while pass blocking... Then there is the other David Diehl who takes plays off and is beaten by defenders that have no buisness beating him.. His upside has no ceiling but his price tag is much too high for the guy who takes so many plays off...

DEAL.

Lynch is the 3rd back on t his roster, time to 'Deal' as you say.

He would still be a major upgrade for us. Isn't being better the object of the game? :rolleyes:
Absolutely. If you watched the games you wouldn't have asked that question.

At this point I'm not looking for an anchor LT who can be a shut down player. Those types of LTs are few and very hard to find. If the Bills can get "competent" LT play they will be so much better on offense. If you have a major hole on the OL it is going to be exploited and will neutralize the good play of the rest of the line.

In my view, the best way to develop Demetrius Bell and Meredith is to gradually work them in. Playing behind a capable veteran LT will help them learn how to play this very challenging position. Throwing them to the wolves and let them learn the hard way results in the rest of the offense being set back.

John, I usually agree with your posts. They are well-written and coherent. But I disagree greatly on this one.

There is almost no better scenario for the Bills this season to give playing time to their young players and see what they have. The team is rebuilding…not contending. Sure they may surprise but I don't think you make player moves based on that expectation. I think you make roster decisions based on the expectation that you are rebuilding and need to play your young players to develop AND evaluate them.

I think Bell and Meredith need to play. Ditto Troup, Carrington, Calloway, Easley, Batten, Moats, etc. etc. etc. I think Steve Johnson suffered from sitting behind Terrell Owens last year. Fewell started Fitzy because he knew it gave him the best chance to win games and get the head coaching job. But to me, Brohm should have gotten the starts down the stretch…for the good of the organization.

The only valid counter-argument is the "we need to have competent play from this position in order to evaluate the QB, etc" but I disagree. I think the Bills will get adequate enough tackle play and if they have to use the tight ends and backs more in pass protection, so be it. They get to evaluate how well their running backs and tight ends pass block. They get to see if the young tackles have what it takes to become solid starters and if they improve week to week.

If the Giants are planning on moving him out of the LT spot, why would the Bills want him?

The Giants have a great OL. Being second best doesnt make him bad on a team like that.

The Giants at one point had Kurt Warner and Eli Manning. They cut Warner to go with the younger Eli. I sure wouldnt have minded having Warner these past few years. Could be a similiar scenario.