Will Maybin turn out to be the Bill biggest 1st. Rd. Bust?

I'm gonna laugh my ass off at all the drama queens here if Maybin tears it up this year. Sure, he could be a bust, but plenty of players (especially known projects) have bad rookie years and go on to good careers.

Seriously, why is everybody so quick to completely write the guy off? There's only a handful of rookies each year that have big impacts and he wasn't one of them...big deal. Let's just wait and see what he brings this year.

this

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

This may or may not be a clear signal that Maybin may not cut it.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

Torbor could be one of the better pick ups in the off season and will help this team at inside or outside LB. He sends a signal to Maybin to up his game. No one is going to give Maybin a starting position. We already heard rumblings from Nix that Maybin was not the kind of player he would have picked.

Your list of first round duds has some errors. Patulski at least played and started. Harmon was a good player but did not fit on our team. Gant never lived up to his pick but he had a few good season. Miller was good back but short lived. Hunter, Bell and Losman at least played but were not good picks. Lets not forget Mike Williams at #5.

Actually the least production from a first round pick would go to this crew: Booker Moore, Phil Dokes, John McCargo,

Eric Flowers and Tom Cousineau. All first rounders that gave us nothing.

I sure hope Maybin does not join this illustrious group.

Pat Kirwan on NFL.com recently posted an article about how fans should temper their expectations for first round defensive line rookies - even 1st overall selections shouldn't be expected to contribute much in their first season, and that wasn't merely an opinion, but the way, statistically, players have performed over the last twenty years or so.

The problem (and not really a problem) with Maybin is that his rookie year is over and now he's entering year two, but he's learning a new position. So, it's almost like rookie year all over again. He is very young, and even if he came out of college at 22 people wouldn't mind drafting him - and that would be his age next offseason, so we've got plenty of time to develop him. The bummer is that he eats away at his contract, and it would suck to see another instance of a player beginning to play really good for us, after we've developed them at the expense of our money and time, and to see them go elsewhere.

Anyway, he has the tools and body to be really good. So do a lot of guys, though. I think we just brought in an undrafted rookie, or a sixth rounder who had very similar numbers as Maybin - maybe even quicker short shuttle times. The measurables are so close with most of these players after awhile it doesn't mean so much. Still, I like our group of linebackers. I think between Moats, Poz, Batten, Maybin, and Coleman we have a good young core. Add in Davis, Mitchell - and Kelsay & Schobel, and I think we'll be fine there.

I can imagine Maybin being successful, with the skill set that he has, which is primarily pursuit based on closing speed; the thing is, its gonna happen as a result of a scheme that allows him to come basically free everytime. He's gonna be like a slashing guard in basketball, more of a penny hardaway. in this deal, im thinking of Bruce as more of the Lebron James type (able to penetrate with power and speed).

Maybin off the pick and roll FTW

I'm gonna laugh my ass off at all the drama queens here if Maybin tears it up this year. Sure, he could be a bust, but plenty of players (especially known projects) have bad rookie years and go on to good careers.

Seriously, why is everybody so quick to completely write the guy off? There's only a handful of rookies each year that have big impacts and he wasn't one of them...big deal. Let's just wait and see what he brings this year.

Because he was a bad 1st round pick by a bad D, and couldn't get on the field?

If the question is just, "Who is the biggest 1st round bust", without adjusting for where they were picked in the 1st round, Flowers is on top of my list. And I say that reluctantly, as an ASU fan. I suppose because of following that program, I thought it was predictable that he'd lay an egg. His performance was nothing special at ASU until the end of his senior year. I believe he was playing at around 220. Then, all of the sudden, he blew up. Next thing you knew, he's 250 and racking up 3 or 4 sacks at the senior bowl. Then, he's even heavier at the combine and somehow hasn't lost any speed. I don't know what is more mysterious ;) ; how he achieved this, or why guys who were actually good at their job...this was pre-Donahoe...didn't have suspicions. Even if you are sure he was clean, you can't ignore the fact that he didn't play like a 1st rounder in college, and it was probable that he wouldn't continue to run like a 220 pounder.

I have a tough time rating Mike Williams as big a bust as Flowers, but I can see the point when you consider how high a 1st round pick he was. He and some of the others, like Patulski, at least hung around for a while.

I may have missed it, but I don't think I have seen the name Perry Tuttle in this thread. He was the 19th pick in '82, and he did turn into a good player...for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Obviously too early to reach definitive conclusions but things do not look good.

For whatever reason, people discount the fact that he was not moved to LB last year, but after all of the injuries we had, wasn't it a horrible sign that Scott filled in at ROLB rathern than Maybin?

The guy really has never done anything but chase down Big 10 QBs for 10 games in the fall of 2008.

There is a reason some teams don't take "tweeners" high. They are too small to play end but may not have the chops to play LB, with all of the responsibilities and reads involved.

Agree 100%.

Will Maybin turn out to be the Bill biggest 1st. Rd. Bust?

Who knows?

Lookin that way.

No it's not. It's freakin' minicamp, and the guy has never played the position before.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him.

Cousineau. A first pick overall. The fact that we were able to trade him to a sucker team for a great result doesn't change that he himself didn't contribute one thing to the Bills, or much to the teams he played for later.

Perry Tuttle. A first-round reciever who had 375 yards in two years with the Bills and didn't get better after we traded him. The next guy picked that year was Mike Quick, who was an excellent reciever for Philly, a pro-bowler five times.

Mike Williams is right up there with anybody.

In a couple of years we'll see whether or not Maybin should be called a bust.

I was surprised when the Bills recently added Torbor to the roster... and then moved him to ROLB. Then, with him getting first team reps in mini camp, it spoke volumes... at least to me.

If so, I can't think of a bigger bust that the Bills have drafted in the first round than him. Erik Flowers and John McCargo would be close seconds. The Bills did get some production out of the likes of Patulski, Harmon, Gant, Hunter, Miller, Bell, and Losman. But, I can't remember any of the Bills being drafted as high as #11 and getting virtually nothing, in terms of production. At #8, Whitner certainly hasn't shown he was deserving of that, but he has given the Bills moderate production.

When Maybin was drafted by the Bills I was very upset. Not because I thought Maybin was a bad player, but he did not strike me as an instant impact player. I told my fellow Bills fans that Maybin would need two or three years to make a significant impact on the team.

Maybin has all the potential in the world, but if you thought he was going to come in and tear it up in the NFL right away, then I'd like to know what you're smoking.

Well then, let me help you out.

In terms of the least amount of games The Bills ever got out of a First Round pick - here are the top 10:

FIRST PLACE - there's a three-way tie: Ernie Davis (yeah THAT Ernie Davis) and Carl Eller (yeah THAT Carl Eller) both were drafted but said screw you to The Bills and went to play in the NFL. Actually, Ernie died before he paid a game for Cleveland. Jim Davidson was the other player drafted in the first who never played for the club.

SECOND PLACE - Mike Dennis - played 15 games

THIRD PLACE - Phil Dokes - played 22 games

FOURTH PLACE - Perry Tuttle - played 24 games

FIFTH PLACE - JP Losman - played 41 games as a Bill

SIXTH PLACE - - Terry Miller - played 48 games

SEVENTH PLACE - Tie: Mike Williams - played 51 games as a Bill as did Booker Moore

All of the above were picked in the First Round by The Bills.

For the record, Erik Flowers played 58 games and McCargo 39 - but he's still on the team and was a wash much of his rookie year and his position coach had a hard-on for him his third year - not unlike some of the posters here.

Four times, The Bills have had The Number One pick in The Draft

1969 - OJ Simpson

1972 - Walt Patulski

1979 - Tom Cousineau

1985 - Bruce Smith

We're batting .500 in the number 1 spot.

For whatever reason, people discount the fact that he was not moved to LB last year, but after all of the injuries we had, wasn't it a horrible sign that Scott filled in at ROLB rathern than Maybin?

No, not really. That coaching staff didn't see him as an LB.

In terms of the least amount of games The Bills ever got out of a First Round pick - here are the top 10:

FIRST PLACE - there's a three-way tie: Ernie Davis (yeah THAT Ernie Davis) and Carl Eller (yeah THAT Carl Eller) both were drafted but said screw you to The Bills and went to play in the NFL. Actually, Ernie died before he paid a game for Cleveland. Jim Davidson was the other player drafted in the first who never played for the club.

SEVENTH PLACE - Tie: Mike Williams - played 51 games as a Bill as did Booker Moore

For the record, Erik Flowers played 58 games and McCargo 39 - but he's still on the team and was a wash much of his rookie year and his position coach had a hard-on for him his third year - not unlike some of the posters here.

Four times, The Bills have had The Number One pick in The Draft

1969 - OJ Simpson

1972 - Walt Patulski

1979 - Tom Cousineau

1985 - Bruce Smith

We're batting .500 in the number 1 spot.

Great post. You made me smile with the Ernie Davis and Carl Eller picks, I don't think they count.

But any post that sends me running to do research is a good one. Who the hell is Mike Dennis? Great stuff.

EDIT: Dennis was drafted by us, with the eight pick, in 1966, but didn't play till '68 - '69, and then for the Rams? Who the ...? What the ...?

Obviously too early to reach definitive conclusions but things do not look good.

The guy really has never done anything but chase down Big 10 QBs for 10 games in the fall of 2008.

There is a reason some teams don't take "tweeners" high. They are too small to play end but may not have the chops to play LB, with all of the responsibilities and reads involved.

umm, people discount the fact that he was not moved to linebacker last year because he was a rookie DE, Scott was moved there because SS is not that much differant than OLB in a 4-3, and at that point in his career he has a lot better understanding of the defense.

For the record, Erik Flowers played 58 games and McCargo 39 - but he's still on the team and was a wash much of his rookie year and his position coach had.......

Flowers played only 31 games with the Bills. Not sure why you count only Bills games for other players, but all NFL games for him.

Great post. You made me smile with the Ernie Davis and Carl Eller picks, I don't think they count.

But any post that sends me running to do research is a good one. Who the hell is Mike Dennis? Great stuff.

EDIT: Dennis was drafted by us, with the eight pick, in 1966, but didn't play till '68 - '69, and then for the Rams? Who the ...? What the ...?

I think you could count the guys who spurned the Bills for another league as busts, but at least they didn't cost any money.

Just a guess about Mike Dennis, since there is little info readily available on him....maybe he didn't play those two years because of the war. That is purely a guess, but the time frame matches up.

Maybin is for all intents still a rookie. Late to report last year and very little game time. A new system and new position this year. If he can learn to drop in coverage and defend the run this year and be all go in 2011 , I'd be fine with that. It is way to early for bust talk. Flowers and Williams had no heart, I see more player in Eric.

Flowers played only 31 games with the Bills. Not sure why you count only Bills games for other players, but all NFL games for him.

I do not care how many games someone played, it is being terrible that counts. Flowers, Williams, and Tuttle in that order. Going back in time, I hated Perry Tuttle with a passion back in those days. But than again, at that time, I hated all things Clemson. But for some reason this year I seemed to have warmed up to Clemson Players.