Bills QB of future unlikely to come from next draft

As I was thinking about the prospects for Edwards, Fitzy, and Brohm it suddenly became clear to me that the chances are more likely that the Bills view one of the three current QBs standing up to assume the QB of the future role than us finding that QB in the next draft.

The simple likelihood is that even if we draft a stud QB in 2011 that the he and the team almost certainly will not make the playoffs his first year. Yes there is the single example of Ben RoboQB not only making the playoffs as a rookie QB but winning it all, However, a 2011 Bills team even with a stud rookie QB will be coming off of 11 straight playoff less years.

Bills fans pretty much grudgingly accept that 2010 will be a rebuilding year with no playoffs likely. However, if the Bills end up depending on the 2011 draft to give them their QB for the future there is a good likelihood that even if that QB is Peyton Manning quality like Manning his rookie year will be a learning experience.

Teams like the Jets with rookie Sanchez did go deep in the playoffs with their rookie QB, but the team did at least make the playoffs recently in their pre-Sanchez iteration. This will not be the case with the Bills. Its hard for me to believe that Nix in the crew are going to be wiling to wait until 2012 at the earliest to end the playoff drought.

I must admit to having little faith in in any of the three QBs currently on the roster proving to be our next savior at QB. Thus I think that the plan B when our current QB does not cut it is gonna be FA (or even a trade) instead of expecting the 2011 draft to be the key one for us.

As I was thinking about the prospects for Edwards, Fitzy, and Brohm it suddenly became clear to me that the chances are more likely that the Bills view one of the three current QBs standing up to assume the QB of the future role than us finding that QB in the next draft.

The simple likelihood is that even if we draft a stud QB in 2011 that the he and the team almost certainly will not make the playoffs his first year. Yes there is the single example of Ben RoboQB not only making the playoffs as a rookie QB but winning it all, However, a 2011 Bills team even with a stud rookie QB will be coming off of 11 straight playoff less years.

Bills fans pretty much grudgingly accept that 2010 will be a rebuilding year with no playoffs likely. However, if the Bills end up depending on the 2011 draft to give them their QB for the future there is a good likelihood that even if that QB is Peyton Manning quality like Manning his rookie year will be a learning experience.

Teams like the Jets with rookie Sanchez did go deep in the playoffs with their rookie QB, but the team did at least make the playoffs recently in their pre-Sanchez iteration. This will not be the case with the Bills. Its hard for me to believe that Nix in the crew are going to be wiling to wait until 2012 at the earliest to end the playoff drought.

I must admit to having little faith in in any of the three QBs currently on the roster proving to be our next savior at QB. Thus I think that the plan B when our current QB does not cut it is gonna be FA (or even a trade) instead of expecting the 2011 draft to be the key one for us.

Why don't we let Chan do this thing and play a few games before we go here.

Why can't the QB of the future be from next year, even if the Bills decide to stick with one of the current QBs for the next couple of years to avoid rebuilding? The worst possible situation, IMO, is to rush a QB into the starting role.

I think it real simple. If our QB's are a disaster and we win 0-4 games, we take a stud QB, with one of the top 3 picks in the draft. If we get into that gray area and win 6-8 games, and draft 9-12 that stud Qb is not going to be there anyway. Like most people the 10 year drought has really gotten to me. I really wanted Cowher or one of the other big 3 to come in and give us instant credibity, but the more I look and read about the the bills, the more I like the way chan and buddy are building this thing. I would love to see one of the current QB break out and become the next big thing, but i don't really believe that going to happen. I think you let Chan and Buddy play out this year to see what they have on the roster, and go from there. With the loss of the CBA and all the potential free agents, who became restricted, it made it almost impossible to improve the team this year. You would of had left tackles like Gaithers, Penn, McNeill, Brown as free agents with their team trying to resign them and balance the cap. This would of given us a greater chance as landing one of these guys as a free agent. If you think about it there were 200 potiential /5 year free agents that were taken off the market this year. Hopefully Chan can get a grasp on the roster, draft a QB, and with a new CBA, in addition to the 2011 free agents, all those guys who were restricted in 2010 will be unrestricted next year, and the team can rebulid quickly. I think it better to write off this season, I don't think winning 6-8 games really helps us in the long term. Unless your a fan of missing the playoff every year.

:devil:

It's June, why fret about worst case scenarios?

Sure, we've all watched through 10 years of waste, but let's give Nix, Gailey and co. a Training Camp at least - before we decide we're doomed for all time . . .

Even without the stud quarterback, you're better off being a Bills fan than a Lions fan.

And I don't get how you jump to either a doomed rookie stud QB, or a required FA QB acquisition. There are lot's of ways for this to pan out better than the last ten years. Just let it happen.

You want gloomy -- go watch the world cup -- that'll remind you how good it is to be a football fan in Buffalo rather than a futbol fan anywhere else in the world! That stuff makes your eyes, and now your ears, bleed!

:lol:

:lol:

Sure, we've all watched through 10 years of waste, but let's give Nix, Gailey and co. a Training Camp at least - before we decide we're doomed for all time . . .

Even without the stud quarterback, you're better off being a Bills fan than a Lions fan.

And I don't get how you jump to either a doomed rookie stud QB, or an required FA QB. There are lot's of ways for this to pan out better than the last ten years. Just let it happen.

You want gloomy -- go watch the world cup -- that'll remind you how good it is to be a football fan in Buffalo rather than a futbol fan anywhere else in the world! That stuff makes your eyes, and now your ears, bleed!

:beer:

once they read your post, and realize they arent appealing to your obviously sophisticated sports palate....im sure theyll cancel the next world cup :devil:

I have to totally disagree with your premise. The way the Bills have conducted their personnel decisions are quite clear that they are willing to wait until 2012 as long as they feel they've built the team to have multiple winning seasons starting 2-3 seasons from now. They didn't fill all the holes with a bunch of veterans who might get them 1 or 2 more wins in 2010 & they're willing to build a winner their way rather than hit the Donahoe mode & sign flashy names to satisfy the fan base. For the 1st time in years, the GM is looking long range & does not appear to want to jump the gun just to make the playoffs without any chance at going for a real championship.

These guys know they have garbage at QB, but also didn't like Clausen, McCoy or any other 1st, 2nd or 3rd round projected QB, so because they couldn't get McNabb, they're looking at the right way to build. We're fortunate that Nix & Gailey do not have this fan mentality, because if they do it right we'll have 12+ win seasons by 2012 or 2013 instead of treading water between 6 & 10 wins with no shot of ever going to the Super Bowl. Unless Trent Edwards picks up his play & proves to be durable, the chance of both happening being slim, there will definitely be a 1st round QB on the 2011 roster.

Why can't the QB of the future be from next year, even if the Bills decide to stick with one of the current QBs for the next couple of years to avoid rebuilding? The worst possible situation, IMO, is to rush a QB into the starting role.

The answer to your question is really one of how long is the Bills braintrust willing to wait to make the playoffs and what are they shooting for.

My GUESS is that one of the prime questions Mr. Ralph probably asked any candidates for the GM or HC job that given the team they were taking over how long did they think it would take to turn this team into a winner and to make the playoffs,

Given that it has been proven possible for a team to turn from a losing record to a winning record in one season, an answer that the new GM/HC expected to produce a winner in 2010 would in my mind not be impossible but such an answer would have been unrealistic enough given the shambles the new GM/HC would inherit that any answer that the new king was on an immediate turnaound expectation would be foolish.

My GUESS is that the answer a Nix (and a Gailey) would have given would be that they would in fact make a real run at an immediate winning record, but they are realistic that though they would always say and operate with the expectation of winning (in fact if this is not true one is guaranteed to lose) to be real amongst the true braintrust they are shooting for a playoff berth in the 2011 season, It will be tough to do this and the team may not make it, but I simply do not see Mr. Ralph hiring anyone who had a 3 year plan to rebuild this team with no realistic shot at even producing a winning season until 2012.

I say this because:

1, A decade of nonplayoff futility simply has to effect all parts of the business franchise and the game. From it simply be not as much fun to own a consistent loser to marginal business impacts that it is simply just tougher to roll the rock up the hill, this team has a crucial need to win and win now. Even if this is not likely at all, it would simply be crazed for the braintrust to invest in a multi-year strategy to rebuild and actually have a decided upon strategy of losing 12-14 games to get a shot at a top 3 pick in order to draft the new Jim Kelly. This strategy would be nuts.

2. Mr, Ralph may not even admit it to himself or ever give it a voice but he knows that he like us all is not going tol ive forever. I simply do not see Mr. Ralph going for any other plan than one which seeks to win in 2010 even if this is unlikely and seeks to make the playoffs in 2011.

I am sorry but a strategy which calls for drafting the QB of the future in 2011 and then almost certainly losing while he trains up as a rookie and maybe makes a run in 2012 just makes little sense.

My GUESS is that Gailey was attractive because he had a proven record of rehabbing horribly unproductive vet QBs and plan A is really to try to revive Edwards, OR squeeze more out of Fitzy, OR rehabilitate Brohm.

If this fails then my guess is that FA or dealing with a longshot like our late pick this year is the plan B and planning to draft and develop a savior next year is not even a thought.

:mellow:

And I don't get how you jump to either a doomed rookie stud QB, or a required FA QB acquisition. There are lot's of ways for this to pan out better than the last ten years. Just let it happen.

:huh:

Good post Bill, Lets wait and see. I was a doom and gloomer and now I am thinking more positive after reading so many positive posts here. I think the Bills can make it to the AFC championship game. I believe Coach Gailey has the smarts, schemes, and magic to get the most out of all his players. Once we win the opener and gain confidence and believe there will be no stopping us. We will get on a roll all the way to the playoffs.

Predictions:

Spiller roookie of the year.

Edwards pro bowl QB. Has QB rating of 125 or better. 8 games of 300+ passing yrds. Throws 25 td to 5 ints.

Evans 13 td receptios and a pro bowl

Jairus Byrd pro bowler with 10 ints

Gailey coach of the year.

Poz leds team in tackles pro bowl appearance.

Troup has monter year.

Maybin leads team with 12 sacks.

Nelson has monter year with 8 td catches.

Gotta believe....Go Bills!!!! Doom and gloomers don't rain on my parade. All positives may way!!!!

Maybe without Jauron ball, changing offensive schemes, and with an offensive line our qbs will develop into better players.

SO when did we get the offensive line? Or are we gonna add that for 2011, then play out 2012, draft a QB for 2013, then hopefully in his second season - 2014 - we make the playffs!!!!!

:mellow:

If that were that case - hoping to make the playoffs in year 5 with a second year QB - then I think Buddy Chan will be shown the door before we get to 5 years.

We had amazing opportunities this offseason to add a QB (McNabb/Tebow or Clausen rd 1/Clausen rd2 among others) and the Bills passed.

I have to assume that Buddy Chan is happy withthe current crop of QBs and willing to bet their careers on them.

Well thought-out post. Though I disagree.

For me, the question is whether there will be a good QB available when we draft next year.

Yeah, I think Gailey is genuinely giving the three on the roster from last year a real shot at the job, even to the point of not drafting Pike or Clausen to give these guys their chance. But if none of them step up, the best move would be to replace the guys who will never be good enough with a guy who might take a year or three to be good enough.

Yeah, I think Gailey is genuinely giving the three on the roster from last year a real shot at the job, even to the point of not drafting Pike or Clausen to give these guys their chance. But if none of them step up, the best move would be to replace the guys who will never be good enough with a guy who might take a year or three to be good enough.

Hopefully this is the case and one of the guys step up and prove to be a quality NFL starter. Gailey should be given time to attempt to develop these guys. Of course, the angry mob has probably already decided that they all suck and have no hope of ever becoming any kind of decent QB, even w/ better coaching.

Of course, the angry mob has probably already decided that they all suck and have no hope of ever becoming any kind of decent QB, even w/ better coaching.

I have a force assembled with pitchforks and torches. We are ready to storm the castle.

Who's with me?

Well thought-out post. Though I disagree.

For me, the question is whether there will be a good QB available when we draft next year.

I agree with the reasoning behind this post. I just wanted to point out the irony of stating we should replace our QBs with someone who make take 1-3 years to be good enough, given that all of our current QBs (save Fitz) essentially fall into this category. With a few exceptions, QB is a position that needs time to develop... and this development is contingent on having the coaching in place to facilitate it. For the first time in ? 5 years ? we might have the coaching in place to get the most out of our QBs, and now because of this 1-3 year clock, it's time to move on... and the cycle continues.

As far as this past draft, Bradford aside, I think the remaining QBs were as much of a gamble as what we have on the team already, therefore why waste the pick. If there was someone they thought had more potential than what we already have, they would have picked him.

I have a force assembled with pitchforks and torches. We are ready to storm the castle.

Who's with me?

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Have fun storming the castle!

Do you think they have a chance?

It would take a miracle.