Ravens SHOULD seek trade with Buffalo

I was just reading a post on the Patriots and how they've managed players over the last few years, and people on this board were enjoying their woes - and I thought, the Patriots aren't the team at the top of the mountain anymore, so to speak.

I'm thinking the Ravens have built up a team that will really be hard to stop, with their good running game, and now their WR's and TE's - ouch - and then their front seven on Defense... the only thing missing from a team that could be considerably better than their Super Bowl winning team of 2000? is a shutdown corner. Well, if they had a better cornerback duo they would be without apparent weakness.

So, my proposal is this: we've got a good cornerback stable. We could use Gaither. Couldn't we offer them one of our cornerbacks and a lower round pick for Gaither? I'd send either McGee or Florence if I were getting Gaither in return. Anyway, as I see it, Baltimore is so close to being a championship team they might be willing to deal Gaither for some security in their secondary.

I was just reading a post on the Patriots and how they've managed players over the last few years, and people on this board were enjoying their woes - and I thought, the Patriots aren't the team at the top of the mountain anymore, so to speak.

I'm thinking the Ravens have built up a team that will really be hard to stop, with their good running game, and now their WR's and TE's - ouch - and then their front seven on Defense... the only thing missing from a team that could be considerably better than their Super Bowl winning team of 2000? is a shutdown corner. Well, if they had a better cornerback duo they would be without apparent weakness.

So, my proposal is this: we've got a good cornerback stable. We could use Gaither. Couldn't we offer them one of our cornerbacks and a lower round pick for Gaither? I'd send either McGee or Florence if I were getting Gaither in return. Anyway, as I see it, Baltimore is so close to being a championship team they might be willing to deal Gaither for some security in their secondary.

you actually dont think nix offered them that? the problem is that they would want mckelvin.

why would we want a LT who's known for his poor work ethic and wants a big contract extension worthy of a much better player? We had one of those in 2008 and he gave up more sacks than any other LT in the league

Actually since being a pro Gaither has had a good work ethic. Its not until he wanted a new contract that he has been a malcontent.

Let's do it! We'll throw in Donte as well....Mcgee donte and a 6th rounder for gaither! make it happen buddy!

Where's the git 'er done guy?

Doesnt McGee still have a huge shoulder issue? I think its all sorts of messed up, and last I heard it wasnt going to be a suprise to see him on the PUP list to start the season. In one of the videos on BB.com - the one where we found out they removed the flat screens from the weight room - they had McGee doing a one arm db bench with his other arm down against his chest. You could tell by how he had it it was still messed up. I think that was back in March?

They may want a CB, but they wont want an injured CB. Donte would be a good option bc Reed is on the oler side and may misss games with injury.

Actually since being a pro Gaither has had a good work ethic. Its not until he wanted a new contract that he has been a malcontent.

do you think that they would have drafted oher and gone hardline on gaither if they werent worried behind closed doors? it seemed to me like a "if oher works out we dont have to worry about this anymore" kind of situation

Gaither for McKelvin...that'd be the only 1 that the Ravens would want...the other 2 are stop-gap types...

I curse the crows and wish them grievous injury to their secondary!

and running backs!

GO BILLS!

(I really did curse them, I just moved to Md & will root for them. All it takes is one Bills! fan and their done...

My brother decided to root for a winner last year, and picked the Steelers....

nuf sed

The problem has not been about the trade or the compensation. The bills would like to do the trade only if they can sign Gaither to a reasonable contract extension. However, the Gaither team wants premier LT money, something the Bills will not throw at Gaither until they have seen him for a season. That is the main road block on this trade.

The problem is that if they trade Gaither, their running game takes an immediate hit. There's nobody on that team who can play RT (and I'm saying LT also, this year at least, though in the long term Oher might be good there) anywhere near as well as Gaither can, except Oher, who is the starter at LT, so he won't be available.

As for what we would have to trade, if we trade McGee, we'll have to spend yet another high-round pick on a CB, and if we trade Florence, it's not going to be enough to get Gaither.

why would we want a LT who's known for his poor work ethic and wants a big contract extension worthy of a much better player? We had one of those in 2008 and he gave up more sacks than any other LT in the league

Not in reality, he didn't. Only in that pathetic "sacks guessed at" stat. And this year, Peters was the best tackle in the league (according to profootballfocus.com) up until his ankle injury in the fifth week. After that, he played on a gimpy ankle, so his performance suffered, but he was still a very solid tackle indeed for the Eagles.

Why pick up Gaither? How about because he was the sixth-best tackle in the league last year and deserves the very high contract he'll recieve. Not that we'll do it, but it would certainly be a good move.

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.ph...&numgames=1

And look at this: http://profootballfocus.com/by_player.php?...p;playerid=4279

If he'd been healthy, he'd have been a lot higher than the sixth-best.

The problem has not been about the trade or the compensation. The bills would like to do the trade only if they can sign Gaither to a reasonable contract extension. However, the Gaither team wants premier LT money, something the Bills will not throw at Gaither until they have seen him for a season. That is the main road block on this trade.

I hadn't heard or read that, and I read a lot.

But it does seem like one possible explanation, and in this case, one that would prevent the trade, because the Bills certainly wouldn't trade for Gaither unless they could be damn sure he'll be here for the long term.

Here's the thing. The Bills DON'T WANT Gaither. If they did, they could have him for a draft choice and wouldn't need to part with a valuable player.