College Conference Shake Ups

So we got Colorado to the Pac-10, Nebraska to the Big-10, and Texas A&M to SEC (maybe?)...

We also have talk of the absorption of the Big East into the ACC (some blaming Notre Dame)!!

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklanhoma St were ready to jump ship, but now it looks like they might be staying and saving the Big 12:

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1094038

How does all of this change how you will be watching college sports next year? For me, the Big East/ACC deal is bigger for Basketball than Football. But anything dealing with the SEC/Pac10/Big12/Big10 will be changing the face of college football.

I also think this absorption of conferences by other conferences is the first step towards a Playoff Champioship in college football. It will be a lot easier to determine a tournament, if the teams are coming from more consolidated conferences.

Thoughts?...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So we got Colorado to the Pac-10, Nebraska to the Big-10, and Texas A&M to SEC (maybe?)...

We also have the absorption of the Big East into the ACC (some blaming Notre Dame)!!

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklanhoma St were ready to jump ship, but now it looks like they might be staying and saving the Big 12:

How does all of this change how you will be watching college sports next year? For me, the Big East/ACC deal is bigger for Basketball than Football. But anything dealing with the SEC/Pac10/Big12/Big10 will be changing the face of college football.

I also think this absorption of conferences by other conferences is the first step towards a Playoff Champioship in college football. It will be a lot easier to determine a tournament, if the teams are coming from more consolidated conferences.

Thoughts?...

Texas has reportedly said they would stay in a 10 team big 12 :devil: (big 12 light). What they are doing is putting all the pressure on A&M. If they go to the SEC then Texas can say 'we didn't want the big 12 to break up.'

It comes down to money...apparently Texas has been told the league can expect a deal giving teams 13-17 million a year in TV money. That's less than the Pac16 would give, but Texas also has 5-7 million more that they generate on their own. TT, A&M can't get that kind of moola without a move.

<edit>

Sorry, just read the article and it must be the one I heard quoted during lunch.

Edited by Beerball

How many teams are these conferences going to have now? I don't follow college sports at all, but that Big East/ACC thing sounds like there are a ton of teams involved.

How many teams are these conferences going to have now? I don't follow college sports at all, but that Big East/ACC thing sounds like there are a ton of teams involved.

potentially a lot. maybe 16 in the Pac10 (not sure about ACC). which is why i think this may actually HELP move towards a playoff system.

IF the Big 12 were to dissipate into the Pac10, SEC, Big10 and...

IF those conferences all had Championships...

I think it would help make rankings and tournament berths more accurate.

potentially a lot. maybe 16 in the Pac10 (not sure about ACC). which is why i think this may actually HELP move towards a playoff system.

IF the Big 12 were to dissipate into the Pac10, SEC, Big10 and...

IF those conferences all had Championships...

I think it would help make rankings and tournament berths more accurate.

I don't like it at all. It will make a national championship playoff easier,but so flawed it's not worth it,imo. If the Pac 10 goes to 16 as proposed,you could have Texas,Oklahoma and USC in the same conference. Only 1 could make it out of conference to the playoff,that makes no sense. Those are 3 of the top programs in the country. Conferences should not grow past 12 teams. I hope the Big 12 survives. Texas and Oklahoma in the Pac 10 makes no geographical sense.The south-central region of the country needs it's own conference. The regional divisions of college football is one of the things that makes it great.

I don't like it at all. It will make a national championship playoff easier,but so flawed it's not worth it,imo. If the Pac 10 goes to 16 as proposed,you could have Texas,Oklahoma and USC in the same conference. Only 1 could make it out of conference to the playoff,that makes no sense. Those are 3 of the top programs in the country. Conferences should not grow past 12 teams. I hope the Big 12 survives. Texas and Oklahoma in the Pac 10 makes no geographical sense.The south-central region of the country needs it's own conference. The regional divisions of college football is one of the things that makes it great.

Agree with a lot of your points, but what if this is the first step to going to a (for the sake of argument) FOUR Conference system?

We would eventually end up with The NorthEast Conference, The SouthEast Conference, The Mid-West Conference, and the Western Conference. Each conference having some 20 teams, and sending their top 4 teams to the Championship Tournament. Currently, the SEC has the SEC East and SEC West. With expansion, maybe each Conference ends up looking more like an NFL conference, with it's own sub-divisions in order to keep that regional division feel. Then each division winner goes to the Tournament...

i dont know...

I don't like it at all. It will make a national championship playoff easier,but so flawed it's not worth it,imo. If the Pac 10 goes to 16 as proposed,you could have Texas,Oklahoma and USC in the same conference. Only 1 could make it out of conference to the playoff,that makes no sense.

But isn't that how it is already? If the best two teams in the country are in one conference, the votes/polls will almost never put them both in the NC game. Yeah, the playoff system would be flawed, but what system doesn't have a single flaw? I'd much rather see a system where one bad game in september doesn't completely ruin your chances.

But isn't that how it is already? If the best two teams in the country are in one conference, the votes/polls will almost never put them both in the NC game. Yeah, the playoff system would be flawed, but what system doesn't have a single flaw? I'd much rather see a system where one bad game in september doesn't completely ruin your chances.

I like the fact that one bad game can ruin your season. It makes every game more important.

Agree with a lot of your points, but what if this is the first step to going to a (for the sake of argument) FOUR Conference system?

We would eventually end up with The NorthEast Conference, The SouthEast Conference, The Mid-West Conference, and the Western Conference. Each conference having some 20 teams, and sending their top 4 teams to the Championship Tournament. Currently, the SEC has the SEC East and SEC West. With expansion, maybe each Conference ends up looking more like an NFL conference, with it's own sub-divisions in order to keep that regional division feel. Then each division winner goes to the Tournament...

i dont know...

It's an interesting topic to discuss. I don't like the Pac 10 swallowing up the Big 12. It takes away from the regionality (is that a word??) of the college game. It's very hard to come up with a good playoff system because you have over 100 1A colleges and only a 12 game season. I'm not sure it can ever be done.

So if the deal to save the Big 12 goes thru (thus making the Big 12 really the Big 10) and the Big 10 stays put with Nebraska (thus making the Big 10 really the Big 12)

The Big "12" loses their conference title game

The Big "10" can now have their own title game. Assuming they break down into east/west conferences like so:

West: Iowa, Illinois, Northwestern, Minnesota, Nebraska, Wisconsin

East: Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St

The Big "10" title game will be a perennial matchup of the winner of Nebraska/Iowa vs the winner of Penn St/Ohio St

Could you provide a link to the Big East joining the ACC? All I see is this article on Google News.

At this point, it's just speculation. And for most of the Big East teams, there's not even much speculation at this point. Kinda waiting for the big dominoes to fall, and then we'll see what happens to the smaller dominoes.

Wouldn't be surprised or disappointed for this to happen, tho. It has seemed inevitable since Miami, BC and VT left. Per the link above, they're speculating that the BE could be split among the former Big-10 (PSU/OSU/Mic et al.), and the ACC. Big-10 wants access to the NYC market in the worst way, so they'll try to court Syracuse and Rutgers, and also go after Pitt and WV. Would be interesting to see UConn in an ACC-North. And for Basketball, that would make for a hell of a conference.

Re-alignment is tough, what with possibly losing some long-standing rivalries, but something had to happen. If done right, it could be great for all parties to form some bigger, more cohesive conferences (with encouragement to have 16 members) that can propel the system (especially the football post-season) to where it should go.

Whatever comes out of this, tho, they need to not use numbers in naming the new conference make-ups:

Big 12 ==> Great Plains Conf.

Pac-10 ==> Pacific Conf.

Big-10 ==> Mid-West Conf.

et cetera, et cetera.

We also have the absorption of the Big East into the ACC (some blaming Notre Dame)!!

Thoughts?...

HUH?

HUH?

ha, was just responding to James above and edited my original post and saw yours.

Typo by me, never meant to imply that it was a done deal, or even anything more than talk.

I was just trying to get down all the news and discussion I could remember. Lots going on. Dont ban me!

You're slow. I already posted this on the college section this morning. :devil:

In other news, the Texas Gov't (the Higher Education Committee) is looking to meet on Wednesday to discuss any school movement.

IMHO, that pretty much means the Aggies will be "encouraged" to reconsider any move towards the SEC now that UT, TT, OU, and OSU will be staying put.

Shame. I was beginning to warm up to the idea of the Aggies playing in the SEC, and stop being the second fiddle in Texas behind UT.

Texas A&M and Alabama share a history, and Arkansas could renew it's rivalry with TAMU (from the old SWC days)

id love to see A&M and TT added to "my" SEC. a power team (A&M) and an offensive team (TT) would be great additions.

The only way TT (the school) moves into the SEC is over TT's dead body (the second TT being Tommy Tuberville).