How the Bills might fit in the NFL this year

I was watching ESPN the other night and some analysts were discussing the Bills - and they had them sitting at the bottom of our division, as one of the worst teams in the NFL. Their main reason: the NFL is a passing league and the Bills did nothing to strengthen neither - 1. - their QB position (which was listed as the worst in the NFL), and they wondered out loud why the Bills didn't pursue someone like Campbell... and 2. - their Tackle positions - especially LT. They stressed how the NFL is a passing league now and that the Bills had the makings for a disaster offensively.

So, it got me thinking. Yes, the Bills did put together what looks like a good defense, certainly it is set and is probably only a player or two away from being very good - the foundation there is laid. But, the Bills front office (Nix and Gailey) knew what they had to work with on the line and with the QB, and they really didn't do much there. I could think of only two reasonable explanations. 1. - they just figured if they lost a lot this year with what they have, then they'll have a good position next year to draft a QB, and maybe a LT - using this year as a rehersal for the team, and next as a plug in the holes kind of really compete year, or... (these might both be accurate)... 2. - Why does the NFL have to be a passing league? Might we try to win with solid Defense and a really good running game? For one, do we have a good enough line to even be a good running team? Second, is there an alternative to "the NFL is a passing league"? Could Gailey try to make something else work? That got me excited - I was thinking of New Orleans and how their coach was an offensive mind and he got a chance to build a team as he envisioned it - and I see Gailey, also, as a coach who will build a dynamic, scoring, offense.

And, as puzzling as our roster looks, with that in mind, my only answer is that they are going to try and win differently - I just hope they've got something brewing that will make us competitive. Gailey does fit the mold of a coach who has won with just what we've got - pedestrain QB's and good running games.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching ESPN the other night and some analysts were discussing the Bills - and they had them sitting at the bottom of our division, as one of the worst teams in the NFL. Their main reason: the NFL is a passing league and the Bills did nothing to strengthen neither - 1. - their QB position (which was listed as the worst in the NFL), and they wondered out loud why the Bills didn't pursue someone like Campbell... and 2. - their Tackle positions - especially LT. They stressed how the NFL is a passing league now and that the Bills had the makings for a disaster offensively.

So, it got me thinking. Yes, the Bills did put together what looks like a good defense, certainly it is set and is probably only a player or two away from being very good - the foundation there is laid. But, the Bills front office (Nix and Gailey) knew what they had to work with on the line and with the QB, and they really didn't do much there. I could think of only two reasonable explanations. 1. - they just figured if they lost a lot this year with what they have, then they'll have a good position next year to draft a QB, and maybe a LT - using this year as a rehersal for the team, and next as a plug in the holes kind of really compete year, or... (these might both be accurate)... 2. - Why does the NFL have to be a passing league? Might we try to win with solid Defense and a really good running game? For one, do we have a good enough line to even be a good running team? Second, is there an alternative to "the NFL is a passing league"? Could Gailey try to make something else work? That got me excited - I was thinking of New Orleans and how their coach was an offensive mind and he got a chance to build a team as he envisioned it - and I see Gailey, also, as a coach who will build a dynamic, scoring, offense.

And, as puzzling as our roster looks, with that in mind, my only answer is that they are going to try and win differently - I just hope they've got something brewing that will make us competitive. Gailey does fit the mold of a coach who has won with just what we've got - pedestrain QB's and good running games.

What the hell do those guys at ESPN and the NFL Network know?????????????????? They are dumb ass es. We here on the forum all know were on the right track to the playoffs. I say this year 9-7 or 10-6 with a playoff birth. I believe Chan Gailey is an "offensive Juggernaut" who will be unstoppable. This offense has a great chance to out perform the K gun days.

What the hell do those guys at ESPN and the NFL Network know?????????????????? They are dumb ass es. We here on the forum all know were on the right track to the playoffs. I say this year 9-7 or 10-6 with a playoff birth. I believe Chan Gailey is an "offensive Juggernaut" who will be unstoppable. This offense has a great chance to out perform the K gun days.

16-0 BABY... WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOO

We will win games because our defense will be much better, maybe top-10 or 12...and our running game will be one of the best we have seen in a long time, if our line shapes up right.

Remember a couple of years ago the Panthers ran through the season and part of the playoffs with a VERY SOLID ground game and a stout defense...Delhomme did not do much with his arm...it was all the run game and defense...and yes, of course Arizona beat them with the passing game, but Arizona could stop the run.

I think we will improve...maybe not in the win column, but certainly on the field and with overall talent and coaching!

We will win games because our defense will be much better, maybe top-10 or 12...and our running game will be one of the best we have seen in a long time, if our line shapes up right.

Remember a couple of years ago the Panthers ran through the season and part of the playoffs with a VERY SOLID ground game and a stout defense...Delhomme did not do much with his arm...it was all the run game and defense...and yes, of course Arizona beat them with the passing game, but Arizona could stop the run.

I think we will improve...maybe not in the win column, but certainly on the field and with overall talent and coaching!

yup, except i think we will improve the wins as well, sleeper team for 9-7/10-6, and prob still miss the playoffs

Long winded, o.k., but my point was this - why does it have to be a passing league? Why can't it be a run league? Is it the rules that make it a passing league? Or, is it just that there are some really good QB's in the league right now? Still, if we don't have a good QB - and I hope one of ours turns out decent - then maybe we can be a winning team with a different formula?

Long winded, o.k., but my point was this - why does it have to be a passing league? Why can't it be a run league? Is it the rules that make it a passing league? Or, is it just that there are some really good QB's in the league right now? Still, if we don't have a good QB - and I hope one of ours turns out decent - then maybe we can be a winning team with a different formula?

It's a passing league only with respect to the fact that several of the teams contending for the Super Bowl over the last few years were "passing teams."

But there are a bunch of very solid playoff-caliber teams, and they win based on good defense and running the ball. You might not win the Super Bowl today with that formula, but you can surely win 10 or 11 games and a few playoff games with it.

The dolphins were the first team to run the wildcat and they beat the heck out of a very surprised NE team in NE. Your thought process has validity and there is no creative thought from either the NFL network or ESPN.

Here's a rundown of rule changes that have helped transform NFL football gradually into more of a passing league.

1974 Roll-blocking and cutting of wide receivers was eliminated; the extent of downfield contact a defender could have with an eligible receiver was restricted.

1977 Defenders were permitted to make contact with eligible receivers only once (the death of bump and run coverage). The head slap (by pass rushers) was outlawed

1978 Defenders were allowed to maintain contact with a receiver only within five yards of the line of scrimmage. The pass-blocking rule was interpreted to permit the extending of arms and open hands (legalized holding).

1996 The five-yard contact rule (above) is made a point of emphasis.

Hits with the helmet or to the head by the defender to a quarterback will be flagged as personal fouls and subject to fines.

2001 Protecting the passer more stringently is made a point of emphasis.

2002 It is illegal to hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet anytime after a change of possession.

2006 Defenders are prohibited from hitting a passer in the knee or below unless they are blocked into him.

2007 A completed catch is now when a receiver gets two feet down and has control of the ball. Previously, a receiver had to make "a football move" in addition to having control of the ball for a reception.

2009 A defensive player on the ground may no longer lunge or dive at the quarterback's lower legs.

The rule changes have played a pretty big part in the evolution of the game. In 1977 when the rule changes started to favor the passing game, NFL teams averaged about 36 runs and 27 passes per game. Today, those numbers are reversed.

Also, while running the football hasn't changed much, more theoretical development has occurred with regards to the passing game. In the last thirty years, passing game concepts such as the West Coast Offense, the Run and Shoot, and various forms of the Spread Offense have been introduced to NFL football.

People like me take on look at stuff like this - one big chunk of text with no paragraphs - and move on. And there are a lot of us.

But good luck with it.

People like me take on look at stuff like this - one big chunk of text with no paragraphs - and move on. And there are a lot of us.

But good luck with it.

Let's see.

So, he should've used more paragraphs.

And maybe shorter sentences.

Then you may have read it??

Is this correct?

It's a passing league only with respect to the fact that several of the teams contending for the Super Bowl over the last few years were "passing teams."

But there are a bunch of very solid playoff-caliber teams, and they win based on good defense and running the ball. You might not win the Super Bowl today with that formula, but you can surely win 10 or 11 games and a few playoff games with it.

The league rules have been slanted the past few years towards protecting the QB's and keeping the DB's off the WR's.

Playing it safe with good defense and churning it out on the ground will get you some more wins (like 9-7, woo-hoo!), maybe get to the playoffs, maybe even fluke a playoff game. But it's not gonna beat the top teams, and it's not very much fun to watch.

Yeah, some of the "bottom-liner's" out there love it, but I don't have a mustache.

The league rules have been slanted the past few years towards protecting the QB's and keeping the DB's off the WR's.

Playing it safe with good defense and churning it out on the ground will get you some more wins (like 9-7, woo-hoo!), maybe get to the playoffs, maybe even fluke a playoff game. But it's not gonna beat the top teams, and it's not very much fun to watch.

Yeah, some of the "bottom-liner's" out there love it, but I don't have a mustache.

I don't disagree, but I think you understate the success of the good defense/running teams. Off the top of my head: Tennessee (best regular season record few years ago), NYJ (last year AFC champ game), MIA (playoffs/contending for playoffs over last several years), and NYG (Super Bowl season).

I believe, with some limited exceptions, that you need a franchise QB and great passing game to contend for a Super Bowl--but I see no reason why we couldn't win 10-11 games with a good defense/running game. And, having a winning season and making the playoffs is basically the only goal any Bills fan should have these days.