Is Evans a #1 on the Bills and a #2 anywhere else?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't check the link out here. I'll have to check it out later and respond back. Thanks for posting a link!

I looked at the play myself. Make sure that you keep an eye on Edwards feet and shoulders. He pumps, hitches, flinches whatever you want to call it twice before throwing the ball woefully too late. I would actually not beat Edwards up too much on this as he was a rookie. But it is DEFINITELY not Lee Evans fault or anything he could do about it for that matter. Lee was where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. Trent just didn't get him the ball. The S/CB had time to break on the ball and it was intercepted.

These are EXACTLY the type of examples I speak to that Evans can get open but Trent doesn't get him the ball.

No problemo. It ain't worth discussin' based on memory, since I know how much I drank at that game.

I hear ya! I still can't believe we lost that game, especially with all the turnovers we had that game. IMO, Kelsay's best play as a Bill was when he batted Romo's pass and caught it in the end zone.

I looked at the play myself. Make sure that you keep an eye on Edwards feet and shoulders. He pumps, hitches, flinches whatever you want to call it twice before throwing the ball woefully too late. I would actually not beat Edwards up too much on this as he was a rookie. But it is DEFINITELY not Lee Evans fault or anything he could do about it for that matter. Lee was where he was supposed to be when he was supposed to be there. Trent just didn't get him the ball. The S/CB had time to break on the ball and it was intercepted.

These are EXACTLY the type of examples I speak to that Evans can get open but Trent doesn't get him the ball.

I'll have to check it out later. If I'm wrong, I'll eat some crow on it.

What you fail to realize is the WR you mention are able to free up the underneath stuff because their QBs can get them the ball deep. Do you see how that works? Defenses pack it in on us because Edwards doesn't throw deep and Jauron's offenses were about as imaginative and aggressive as 1950's football passing. It's funny that you mention underneath and crossing routes. Those are throws Edwards doesn't have the zip on the ball to make. There are 5 other WR and 4 TEs on this team. How many underneath crossing routes did they run? TO one of the best crossing route WR in the game didn't get those routes for us last year. Do you want to blame all of that on Lee Evans too or do you want to open your eyes and see that as an offense we didn't call those plays because Edwards can't throw them?

Also take a look at the WR you mentioned. ALL...repeat ALL of them have QBs with big arms that would throw the ball down field. How can you possibly compare guys in those situations to what Evans has had to put up with wasting his time in Buffalo with Trent?

Was it just the offense last year or when he played under the other 4 OC's? Did you ever think that the 5 OC's he's played with realize that he's not a guy that can run those routes? Maybe he cant play in the slot becuase he's not good weaving through traffic? Maybe they don't get him the ball quickly because he's not very effective after the catch and that he's a better deep route runner?

Look, I think Trent sucks too but Lee has never shown any versitility regardless of who his OC is. It is undeniable that he's always had inconsistent QB's and that has effected his production but I just don't see him doing the things that others have done with crappy QB's (S. Moss, Marshall, S. Smith, Bowe, Berrian).

Did you accept my offer or C. Biscuits offer? (My offer, the Bills won't draft in the Top 10 in 2011). The last I heard from you was if I was going to live up to my word and pay up and I clearly stated my conditions. The winner sends the loser their address in a personal message here on TBD. The loser mails a $100 money order. I have yet to hear from you.

Billsfreak, are you still avoiding me? Afraid to accept my offer? Afraid to live up to your end of the deal if you lose?

TE was Lee's QB before and after Lee signed his fat deal. The line sucked before and after Lee signed his fat deal. Once he signed his fat deal Lee laid down. Look at the stats, stats don't lie. Lee is a number 2 receiver at best and #3 on many teams. Start Hardy, Johnson & Roscoe and the production will be at least the same as when Lee is in there. TO did draw the double coverage and Lee did not elevate his game.

Stats don't lie?

Contrary to what many members of the media believe, and would be amateur sports analysts who would like an easy simple answer that doesn't require them to think analytically, stats do not paint the whole picture.

Randy Moss didn't have great stats in Oakland. Did he just start to suck? A WR, more than anyone else on the field, is at the mercy of another person to make his plays. He can't catch what isn't thrown. At least a QB has multiple options to throw to.

I have no idea if Evans is a 1 or a 2 in the mind of another team. But we could do a little "imaginative thinking" about it -- something we're all pretty good at around here. So let's go through the teams in the league with a need at receiver. Can you name one or two who would jump at the chance to grab Evans if the Bills offered him? And would any of those teams want him as a 1 or would they want him as a 2? Finally, what do you think the Bills would get in return for him?

The answers should give us at least a pretty fair idea of what our own opinions are about Evans.

Jerry, you are definitely remembering a different play, or an entirely different game. The play to which you refer was not a jump-ball situation, it was an out-and-up route/bullet-style pass play.

It was a well-underthrown ball by Edwards, who was under durress from NT Jay Ratliff at the time of the throw. Newman was positioned between Evans and Edwards, as Evans was a good 3 to 4 yards past Newman at the time of the throw. There's no way the announcers said that Evans jumping would have made even the slightest difference on that play.

In fact, let's not leave it up to memory...here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...ills-highlights

(it's at the 2:30 mark of the video)

Evans is really supposed to jump and make a play on that ball, while running full speed in the opposite direction?

I think not.

I'll have to eat a big bowl of crow on that one. I was wrong on that play. I do remember there was one play (I thought it was the Dallas game) where Edwards threw it to Evans in the endzone and had a chance at it, but Evans didn't try to jump or knock the ball away from the DB and I remember the announcers jumping on Evans' case about it. After how many years of bad football and blown games, they all seem to run together. But like I said, I was wrong on the Dallas game...sorry! Thanks again for posting the video.

I'll have to eat a big bowl of crow on that one. I was wrong on that play. I do remember there was one play (I thought it was the Dallas game) where Edwards threw it to Evans in the endzone and had a chance at it, but Evans didn't try to jump or knock the ball away from the DB and I remember the announcers jumping on Evans' case about it. After how many years of bad football and blown games, they all seem to run together. But like I said, I was wrong on the Dallas game...sorry! Thanks again for posting the video.

No sweat dude.

Like I said, I had a pretty solid feeling that you knew what you were talking about, but were just thinking of a different game...now if we could only identify which one...

Lee Evans=Alvin Harper.

I don't mean to be disrespectful, but this is a horribly uninformed opinion.

You are comparing a guy that has averaged (since his rookie season) almost 15 starts per year, 57 receptions, 892 yds, 15.7 yds/rec, and 6.5 TD--all on a mere 3.5 rec/game--playing with sub-standard QB play for the vast majority of the time to a guy that averaged just over 8 starts per year, 23 receptions, 431 yds, 21.6 yds/rec, and 2.7 TD playing with a HOF QB, HOF RB, HOF WR, and HOF-caliber OL-men.

See for yourself:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HarpAl00.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/E/EvanLe00.htm

In other words:

You = completely and utterly wrong

You are comparing a guy that has averaged (since his rookie season) almost 15 starts per year, 57 receptions, 892 yds, 15.7 yds/rec, and 6.5 TD--all on a mere 3.5 rec/game--playing with sub-standard QB play for the vast majority of the time to a guy that averaged just over 8 starts per year, 23 receptions, 431 yds, 21.6 yds/rec, and 2.7 TD playing with a HOF QB, HOF RB, HOF WR, and HOF-caliber OL-men.

See for yourself:

In other words:

I'll agree he's no Harper as always likened Lee more to Terry Glenn and/or Cris Chambers.

This is all irrelevant. Who cares what number he is. I only care if the guy goes out there and catches passes. If he does his job and helps us win games, you can list him as number 8 for all I care.

Worry less about his status in the NFL and more about how he can help the team win.

See for yourself:

In other words:

Fair enough. I thought Harper had a better career than he did. That's what I get for not looking at stats.

Hi Mr. negative here. I can't and much more to the debate that has already said. Personally, I think hands down the guy is a legitimate number 1. I just have visions of him being on the Pats, Saints, Cowboys, Vikes, etc...I think his numbers would be through the roof.