California may ban plastic bags

Personally, I hope plastic water bottles are next.

That'a a really good point. Bottled drinking water is the biggest ripoff around,not to mention incredibly wasteful. Remember the old days,when we used to drink water out of a glass? Or even a hose????

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That'a a really good point. Bottled drinking water is the biggest ripoff around,not to mention incredibly wasteful. Remember the old days,when we used to drink water out of a glass? Or even a hose????

I love my bottled water. It's an old 20oz Coke bottle that I fill up whenever I want :devil:

:unsure:

Those pictures Simon posted are coming to a Cali shore near you! Classic NIMBY. Yet, wait for it... Wait for it... "We can't control those other countries!"

What color is the sky in your world? :devil:

What color is the sky in your world? :wacko:

0:)

I think we have bigger fish to fry than some lame pictures that show all kinds of other garbage. Like Cali banning bags and then going on to water bottles is really gonna stop it. What world do you live in? Go on save the world Simon while you pollute it some other way! There are a lot more other personal habits that need to be taken care of first. It isn't the bags, it is the way people get rid of their crap.

Oh... Tell me, where were those pictures shot?

:wacko:

I think .....

Do you seriously think I'm going to take the time to elucidate what I think about this when the only reply I'm likely to receive is some incongruous non sequitur implying that I hate plastic because I'm frustrated with the governments of Southeast Asia when their bags wash up in my back yard on the California coast?

I'll just say that you have a unique talent for making good the enemy of perfect and that the pleasure you seem to derive from attempting to increase the discomfort of others does not speak well of you.

They don't all end up in landfills

They end up in lots of different places

Not to mention they're also made from petroleum, a resource which it's time for us to move on from.

I'm not sure if banning them outright is the appropriate response, but it's certainly worth more discussion than your typically classy "!@#$ them!".

Personally, I hope plastic water bottles are next.

Since the 70's I have taken the opposite view. We need to quit wasting petroleum as a simple BTU producer when it's unique chemistry is necessary for such vital products as plastic.

Do you seriously think I'm going to take the time to elucidate what I think about this when the only reply I'm likely to receive is some incongruous non sequitur implying that I hate plastic because I'm frustrated with the governments of Southeast Asia when their bags wash up in my back yard on the California coast?

I'll just say that you have a unique talent for making good the enemy of perfect and that the pleasure you seem to derive from attempting to increase the discomfort of others does not speak well of you.

I am not sure where you are going with the Voltaire quote. ? IMO, you have it flipped the wrong way. I strive too much for perfection and get belligerant towards "good enough" to the point of doing nothing. Is that what you mean? You see that belligerance in me and feel discomfort.

Anyway, sorry for the discomfort you feel. I by no means take pleasure in that discomfort. If I did take pleasure in all this, I would not be apologizing to you. I have obviously turned the thread quite awkward and again I am sorry.

Almost all plastic shopping bags are made of #2 plastic and CAN be recycled. The problem is, our society only pays lip service to recycling, by having recycling bins everywhere but no companies being forced to buy back the plastic. And in many states, like the one I'm currently in, New Mexico, recycling is still not even a way of life. What we NEED is more recycling, not banning plastic. But that's what you get when you have a bunch of lazy politicians ruling over a bigger bunch of lazy consumers.

:wacko:0:)

No he addresses it here... Especially the second link below:

George Carlin on Proud Parents

George Carlin on Children

I thought you were going to post the clip where Carlin talks about how every kid isn't special. I can't find it on YouTube but I think it's also from It's Bad For Ya.

I did find the clip below that seems appropriate.

Almost all plastic shopping bags are made of #2 plastic and CAN be recycled. The problem is, our society only pays lip service to recycling, by having recycling bins everywhere but no companies being forced to buy back the plastic. And in many states, like the one I'm currently in, New Mexico, recycling is still not even a way of life. What we NEED is more recycling, not banning plastic. But that's what you get when you have a bunch of lazy politicians ruling over a bigger bunch of lazy consumers.

Point taken... I can't remember when I threw out a bag just by itself... It either goes in the pile at home (cat and other uses) or at work where a guy takes them back to the store (or somewhere to be recycled)... Or so he says...

I don't think this is a bad idea, but i do reuse the bags for trash or carrying lunch to work. Guess I could use paper instead. But then, aren't more trees killed because of this?

My parents do like to use plastic bags as trash bags as well. I think the reason paper bags are better is because you can recycle them easier

My parents do like to use plastic bags as trash bags as well. I think the reason paper bags are better is because you can recycle them easier

That is how I use them too... I don't buy kitchen/bathroom trash bags...

What they should really ban is disposable diapers... :bag: No not really... :wallbash:

Someday - probably soon - the environmentalists are going to reach the logical but completely bull **** conclusion that recycling is environmentally unfriendly, because it generates greenhouse gasses.

Which is true. And bull ****. But true.