California may ban plastic bags

I don't think this is a bad idea, but i do reuse the bags for trash or carrying lunch to work. Guess I could use paper instead. But then, aren't more trees killed because of this?

You can always plant more trees.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, and wait 500 years for them to grow back.

Tongass Nat forest

Industrial-scale logging in the Tongass began in the 1950s, when the U.S. Forest Service signed 50-year contracts with two timber

companies operating pulp mills in Ketchikan and Sitka. As a result, clear-cut logging and road construction proliferated throughout

much of the most productive timber land on the Tongass.

pulp is code for paper. Thats all those huge old trees are commercially good for. But sure lets ban plastic and continue to let Japanese company's chop up Americas old growth forest.

Yeah, and wait 500 years for them to grow back.

Tongass Nat forest

pulp is code for paper. Thats all those huge old trees are commercially good for. But sure lets ban plastic and continue to let Japanese company's chop up Americas old growth forest.

First, if you want to stop Japanese companies from cutting down US forests, don't sign agreements allowing them to do so. That has nothing to do with the discussion in this thread.

Second, who says to use paper bags instead? What's wrong with the reusable canvas bags? What's the downside of that?

And EEI, as usual you are all over the lot and I can't understand anything you are attempting to communicate.

And EEI, as usual you are all over the lot and I can't understand anything you are attempting to communicate.

No. It is the opposite. I wouldn't expect you to be an enviro elitist KD. I never was. You just have issues with my other beliefs. Maybe the problem is I am not arrogant enough for you.

!@#$ing plastic bags? Get real. At least Lana gave a good reason to not use them. That I can respect. Not boo-hoo I don't want them to end up in a land fill and blow around.

First, if you want to stop Japanese companies from cutting down US forests, don't sign agreements allowing them to do so. That has nothing to do with the discussion in this thread.

Second, who says to use paper bags instead? What's wrong with the reusable canvas bags? What's the downside of that?

Nothing? Its paper vs plastic regards the environment. Not all paper comes from tree farms, as you seem to think. In fact I doubt if any of it is. Paper comes from mature, irreplaceable trees that have no value as lumber. And please do not provide some link to prove me wrong. I have seen it first hand in Alaska, Canada and northern NY.

Reusable canvas bags? I am not going to start carrying a purse.

Nothing? Its paper vs plastic regards the environment. Not all paper comes from tree farms, as you seem to think. In fact I doubt if any of it is. Paper comes from mature, irreplaceable trees that have no value as lumber. And please do not provide some link to prove me wrong. I have seen it first hand in Alaska, Canada and northern NY.

Reusable canvas bags? I am not going to start carrying a purse.

Oh, so you want to cry about cutting down trees unless it threatens your apparently fragile manhood. Got it. :wallbash:

I love George Carlin. Big fan. But he sorta misses the point here.

It's not about Saving the Planet in the "abstract" sense. It's about leaving a better world for your kids then the one you inherited. If this accomplishes that in any minuscule amount, then I'm all for it.

:devil::unsure:

No he addresses it here... Especially the second link below:

George Carlin on Proud Parents

George Carlin on Children

I love George Carlin. Big fan. But he sorta misses the point here.

It's not about Saving the Planet in the "abstract" sense. It's about leaving a better world for your kids then the one you inherited. If this accomplishes that in any minuscule amount, then I'm all for it.

Also:

PS3

"Pushing a hoop with a stuck." "But, but..." "A stick!... A stick..."

How much better do you want it to get? When nobody has a job?

Of course we (American culture) all elitist NIMBY's... :devil:

Tell me why they should ban plastic bags? Because they are ugly and end up in landfills? :devil:

They don't all end up in landfills

They end up in lots of different places

Not to mention they're also made from petroleum, a resource which it's time for us to move on from.

I'm not sure if banning them outright is the appropriate response, but it's certainly worth more discussion than your typically classy "!@#$ them!".

Personally, I hope plastic water bottles are next.

They don't all end up in landfills

They end up in lots of different places

Not to mention they're also made from petroleum, a resource which it's time for us to move on from.

I'm not sure if banning them outright is the appropriate response, but it's certainly worth more discussion than your typically classy "!@#$ them!".

Personally, I hope plastic water bottles are next.

There is a lot of other garbage in there too! Ban that!

Everything will be against the law, good thing we don't live in Winston-Salem... Or do we?

It's against the law to walk, and against the law to talk

Against the law to loaf, against the law to work

Against the law to read, against the law to write

Against the law to be a black, a brown, or white

Everything's against the law

I'm a low-pay daddy singing the high-price blues

It's against the law to eat, against the law to drink

Against the law to worry, against the law to think

Against the law to marry or try to settle down

Against the law to ramble like a bum from town to town

It's against the law to come, against the law to go

Against the law to ride, against the law to roll

Against the law to hug and against the law to kiss

Against the law to shoot, against the law to miss

It's against the law to gamble, against the law to roam

Against the law to organize or try to build a home

Against the law to sing, it's against the law to dance

Against the law to tell you all the trouble on my hands

Everything in Winston-Salem is against the law

There is a lot of other garbage in there too! Ban that!

Everything will be against the law, good thing we don't live in Winston-Salem... Or do we?

It's against the law to walk, and against the law to talk

Against the law to loaf, against the law to work

Against the law to read, against the law to write

Against the law to be a black, a brown, or white

It's against the law to eat, against the law to drink

Against the law to worry, against the law to think

Against the law to marry or try to settle down

Against the law to ramble like a bum from town to town

It's against the law to come, against the law to go

Against the law to ride, against the law to roll

Against the law to hug and against the law to kiss

Against the law to shoot, against the law to miss

It's against the law to gamble, against the law to roam

Against the law to organize or try to build a home

Against the law to sing, it's against the law to dance

Against the law to tell you all the trouble on my hands

Everything in Winston-Salem is against the law

Makes me pine for the good ol' days, when pollution didn't automatically propmt a law to ban the pollutant, but just made Italians dress up as Indians and cry.

Where?

We need land to build McMansions and farms to raise cattle for beef, wheat for buns, potatoes for french fries, tomatoes for ketchup, and sugar for soda pop because the people in McMansions want to eat McMeals.

Makes me pine for the good ol' days, when pollution didn't automatically propmt a law to ban the pollutant, but just made Italians dress up as Indians and cry.

:devil:

Those pictures Simon posted are coming to a Cali shore near you! Classic NIMBY. Yet, wait for it... Wait for it... "We can't control those other countries!"

Where?

We need land to build McMansions and farms to raise cattle for beef, wheat for buns, potatoes for french fries, tomatoes for ketchup, and sugar for soda pop because the people in McMansions want to eat McMeals.

More serious point: while you can always plant more trees, you can't rebuild an old-growth forest ecology.