Nfl sunday ticket; Who's signing up?

I'm not renewing this year. I loved having all the games but rarely was home to watch them, I'd Tivo the Bills game and then see the score, why bother watching? I figure if the Bills play a good game it'll be re-televised on NFL Channel. Perhaps when I no longer carry season tickets to two NFL teams I will get Sunday Ticket again - the $350 or whatever it is will seem like a bargain compared to thousands for two teams who duke it out for last place annually....

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is, again, is that most of us never paid for Superfan. Superfan is garbage. To pay for HD when all of us are already paying for HD is ridiculous. So, that's not a savings that it is added in. Means nothing.

Second, then DTV discounted the package for most of us from the $270 another $120. So, in all, a ton of people got the package for $150 last year.

Superfan, was, is, and always has been nothing but garbage, that no one asked for. So, to say they threw it in this year, when a lot of us never paid for it in the first place is not a discount. I've always had Superfan, and never paid for it. So, for me, and everyone I know, they didn't just throw it in this year. It's always been free to anyone who would just ask to get it for free.

:thumbsup:

By they way, I called and also got the package for $179. Basically, the $20 a month off for 6 months. So that's 299-120, for $179. I can live with that.

What exactly is your !@#$ing problem?! Nowhere in my post that you quoted did it state DirecTV was giving a discount by including HD in the Sunday Ticket package this year. That post was purely informational and it was posted at the time DirecTV officially acknowledged they were doing away with Superfan.

For someone who never paid the $99 fee for superfan and gets $120 off the Sunday Ticket price, you B word a lot. At least post a relevant quote for your pissing and moaning.

I just called, and asked for retention dept and here is what I got. They gave me 20 credit a month for 6 months= $120.00 to ease the burdon of cost, also gave me a $50.00 credit for use for free "on the go" package for mobile and computer(said he couldn't give it to me for free cuz it wasn't time to pay yet, so gave me a 50 dollar credit today so it will be free when i get charged later), and after he did all that, I simply asked if he could hook up some premium channels, so he then gave me HBO free for 3 months, a 45.00 value, so over all I just saved $215.00. I didn't threaten to leave DTV, simply that i would like to keep my Sunday Ticket but it was very expensive and asked what he could do to help me out. Wish you all good luck and GO BILLS!!

Most of the people on TSW may have never paid for it, but the vast majority of "regular" users DID pay for it (and even some people in this thread said that they paid for it). Many people have complained that they shouldn't have to call to get a good deal -- well guess what? Now you don't have to - you get HD for free without having to make a phone call. What's the problem?

This is what pisses me off. How exactly are you getting HD for free when WE ALREADY PAY DTV $10 a month to receive HD? The only way we get it for free is if DTV creates some incredibly stupid, ripoff scam like Superfan. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and magically they did do that. Without anyone asking for it. And now, even though it should have never been created in the first place.......well now......it's just "thrown in". LMAO. If people are dumb enough to fall for that kind of crap, well great.

And while I agree with you that most likely most users probably paid for Superfan, nobody I know did. Not only did the message fly around the Bills message boards about calling and bitching, but it was flying around all of the NFL message boards and they were very popular threads everywhere. I told a Bears fan in my office about it, and he already knew about it. We spread it around to multiple people, and almost all of them took advantage of calling.

So, why make people call? I know why. Because they have a monopoly on it. It's about the most ignorant thing in the world that they are giving all kinds of different prices to all kinds of different people.

It's not ethical. And it drives me crazy when people actually buy into the "it's cheaper this year" thing. It's really not. They used a scam called Superfan to continue to raise the price. Something that should have never been created in the first place. And if you called to tell DTV that, they pretty much agreed, and gave it to you for free. All you had to do is ask them......"then why am I paying the $10 a month to get HD in the first place?"

This is the kind of crap that makes people hate the company. And if there is ever competition, tons of people will flee. Just like when FIOS came into Comcast neighborhoods. I'm not sure FIOS is any more ethical, but they had the fortune of coming after Comcast screwed people for years with unjustified price hikes.

Uhh, you know Superfan was more than just HD, right? And the HD access fee is obsolete, right? And how exactly in your world did they use this "scam" to continue to raise prices? The Superfan package price remained constant over the years at $99 until it was retired (and that's only for those who actually paid it), while the Sunday Ticket package is what went up every year. Superfan was an OPTIONAL add on. Oh, and sorry to burst your bubble, but out of DirecTV's 18 million subscriber base what percentage are Sunday Ticket package subscribers? They will be just fine if the cable companies, who had every opportunity to bid on the same package, ever get ahold of it. And I hear a lot more people who like the company rather than hate it for being flexible enough in their pricing to tailor it to specific cusomers. Oh the sweet irony of hearing someone call others stupid for falling for this "crap," while at the same time as bitching and moaning about their TV provider continue to renew and send them more money.

So do you have to go through customer retention or will the first contact person give that to you???

Here was my experience - the first person said they can't help "because there was nothing on her screen". When you say you need to cancel, they say, "OK, I will send you to someone else who may be able to help you." I assume that was the retention person. So yes, the initial rep you talk to will send you to customer retention.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, comments, and tips. I just saved myself $120.00 off of the NFL Sunday Ticket price.

I'm more than happy to pay $180.00 for the privilege of enjoying all Bills games in HD, with great sound, in the cozy comfort of my downstairs mancave. AND - a real time saver when you factor in DVRs. There are so many commercial interuptions these days, it's almost nerver-wracking to sit through 3+ hours of unending breaks in the action. Last year I started watching 1 o'clock games at around 2'oclock, utilizing the DVR. I fast forward through all the commercials, halftime happy talk, protracted official reviews and injury timeouts, and guess what? I still finish watching the game at about the same time as everyone else, and also have the added benefit of saving a precious hour of my weekend, not to mention my nerves.

$3.46 per week dumped into my coin jar over the course of a year will cover the $180/season cost - that's a deal I can live with and a good value for the buck. That translates to about $11 per game, just for Bills games.

Unsolicited advice to anyone else looking to deal: when you contact the Directv rep, be courteous and respectful. I truly believe that approach will go a long way towards getting a deal. Anyone working in the Customer Service field deals with a wide variety of a-holes all day long, and treating your Directv rep with politeness will be a call they'll be happy to handle - and they'll probably be more willing to negotiate.

Good luck.

Be aware that DIRECTV assigns their customers tiers (ranked 1 through 5) based upon how much money they spend, how long they've been a customer, etc. People that are low-ranking customers may not get such a deal.

b.s. bro i got a good deal. and i'm a "new customer" according to directv. had my old account under my name. have new account under wife name. (moved) dont have any premium channels under the "new account" (2 months new account). i have purchased one movie.

paid only 179!!!

i would say i'm a 1.5 on their ranking and still got a heck of a deal.

I called and cancelled on Tuesday. They never offered me a better deal. I talked to 3 different people, and all they said was "Are you sure you want to cancel" and I thought they would offer me a deal. They didn't and I've had the Sunday Ticket for 12 years.

u were probably too nice to them. i told them they were "insulting me" with a 15 dollar discount they were trying to offer me at first.

I'm a cheap ass and I'd probably pay the $300 entry fee for Sunday Ticket if they ever allowed it to run on Comcast. I hate that exclusivity deal.... I can't get a Satellite in my apartment... so I have to either find a bar with Bills games (not too hard), which is expensive... or settle for NFL Redzone, which only shows me the Bills when they get scored on :thumbsup:

lmao

I was so mad when i went online to my directv account. I clicked on nfl sunday ticket, and price is now $315. yikes!!!

I'm still getting it. Maybe that's why I was mad. lol

So who else is krazy like me? Meaning renewing or singing up for sunday ticket.

you crazy ass punk.

i'm talking to myself!!! lol.

it took a month and i finally got it done. what i learned: may require at least 2 calls.

first rep cant give you crap. "sorry sir 300 is the best i can offer. its so valuable" said ok and hung up.

2nd call. must ask to speak to cancel dept. retention guy may not give you the best deal either at first. retention guy only took 15 bucks off....lame. so then here is the weapon. MENTION THE DEALS. so i told him. "i have friends who paid 240, 199, and 179, why cant i pay 179?"

3 minutes later. "oh yeah i do see another deal for 179" freaking ass punk went from 314 to 299 to 179. i'm happy.

c yall later.

b.s. bro i got a good deal. and i'm a "new customer" according to directv. had my old account under my name. have new account under wife name. (moved) dont have any premium channels under the "new account" (2 months new account). i have purchased one movie.

paid only 179!!!

i would say i'm a 1.5 on their ranking and still got a heck of a deal.

Sorry "bro," but you have no clue as to what you're talking about. And you have no clue as to what your ranking might be, as it's an internal ranking. They never tell their customers that they're ranked or what that rank might be.

The ranking is done through the retention department, and if someone tries to cancel with a low rating DIRECTV probably won't do much to keep them. If you're a 4 or 5, they may throw the kitchen sink at you. Any number of factors go into the ranking...time as a customer, amount paid per month, etc.

And DIRECTV does rank their customers on tiers. I think it goes 1 2 3a 3b 4 5 off the top of my head.

Made my call to Directv told them I wanted to cancel the NFL Sunday ticket due to the price increase. They knocked off $20 per month to bring it down to $180 without any hassle. Also, I was able to get the $10 HD monthly fee waived for the year as well.

I'm more than happy to pay $180.00 for the privilege of enjoying all Bills games in HD, with great sound, in the cozy comfort of my downstairs mancave. AND - a real time saver when you factor in DVRs. There are so many commercial interuptions these days, it's almost nerver-wracking to sit through 3+ hours of unending breaks in the action. Last year I started watching 1 o'clock games at around 2'oclock, utilizing the DVR. I fast forward through all the commercials, halftime happy talk, protracted official reviews and injury timeouts, and guess what? I still finish watching the game at about the same time as everyone else, and also have the added benefit of saving a precious hour of my weekend, not to mention my nerves.

Yes to this. I have been doing this for a few years now. As far as I'm concerned NFL games are unwatchable in real time with all of the commercials and distractions.

I Must be a 5 then, I just called back today and told them that last week I called and they offered to upgrade all my Receivers and install the HD play in any room at no cost to me. While I did call and they offered 1 for free and pay for the rest of them, I am now getting 215.00 savings on the Sunday Ticket and I am getting my whole house wired to play together with a Total of 4 new receivers all HD and the main HUB to link them all together. I am glad I waited a week, I just told the guy I didnt take the offer last week as I had to upgrade one of my TV's before I could get the whole system installed. Dont know if he believed me but I do know I am getting 700.00+ in equipment and install for free. So I have saved almost 1,000.00 bucks this week so I must be a 5.....and if not I would love to see what a 5 would get, or a 1, not sure on which is the good one to be.

Sorry "bro," but you have no clue as to what you're talking about. And you have no clue as to what your ranking might be, as it's an internal ranking. They never tell their customers that they're ranked or what that rank might be.

The ranking is done through the retention department, and if someone tries to cancel with a low rating DIRECTV probably won't do much to keep them. If you're a 4 or 5, they may throw the kitchen sink at you. Any number of factors go into the ranking...time as a customer, amount paid per month, etc.

And DIRECTV does rank their customers on tiers. I think it goes 1 2 3a 3b 4 5 off the top of my head.

i must know what i'm talking about. i got what i wanted. LOL

by the way, what's with the "bro" quotations. no one ever said that to you before???

WHATEVER BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Must be a 5 then, I just called back today and told them that last week I called and they offered to upgrade all my Receivers and install the HD play in any room at no cost to me. While I did call and they offered 1 for free and pay for the rest of them, I am now getting 215.00 savings on the Sunday Ticket and I am getting my whole house wired to play together with a Total of 4 new receivers all HD and the main HUB to link them all together. I am glad I waited a week, I just told the guy I didnt take the offer last week as I had to upgrade one of my TV's before I could get the whole system installed. Dont know if he believed me but I do know I am getting 700.00+ in equipment and install for free. So I have saved almost 1,000.00 bucks this week so I must be a 5.....and if not I would love to see what a 5 would get, or a 1, not sure on which is the good one to be.

so can i get a high 5?

i must know what i'm talking about. i got what i wanted. LOL

by the way, what's with the "bro" quotations. no one ever said that to you before???

WHATEVER BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one that didn't remind me of Spicoli.

Um, Bro, Brah or whatever you prefer, you originally stated that the ranking system was "b.s." which is patently untrue. It's an internal ranking that DIRECTV doesn't make public. DIRECTV's numbers are also not where they want them, so this may be the reason why some people are having a relatively easy time negotiating their prices down. Including people who so glibly refer to others as "bro."

No one that didn't remind me of Spicoli.

Um, Bro, Brah or whatever you prefer, you originally stated that the ranking system was "b.s." which is patently untrue. It's an internal ranking that DIRECTV doesn't make public. DIRECTV's numbers are also not where they want them, so this may be the reason why some people are having a relatively easy time negotiating their prices down. Including people who so glibly refer to others as "bro."

u forgot brotha and brother. lol!

i meant bs in the form that it was easy. but you're right, i guess.

beast mode is my current favorite bill

I just called and got the same deal as most have. $29.99 / month and canceled the NFL to go. I didn't threaten to cancel the package, I just asked if there was anything they could do for me as an eight year customer. Even though I'll probably end up turning off the Bills at half time for most games just like the past few seasons, $180 is pretty damn good value for the ticket.

Finally got around to calling DTV last night when I saw I had been billed the first $49.99 installment. Didn't threaten to cancel, just reminded them of my nearly $200/mo. bill and 15 years of service. It did take a couple of transfers, but without any argument I was offered the $120 discount. I then asked, "and I'd like you to add the mobile package at no charge" to which the rep responded, "sure, I can do that."

No trickery, no threats -- it IS a shame we have to call to get that sort of treatment, but at the end of the day, the package (including "to go") will cost $180.

I'm satisfied.

P.S. To those bitching about the $10/mo. HD fee, I asked about that. The rep said the fee can be waived if you're an autopay customer with no other credits on the account. So I'll have to wait until the Sunday Ticket credit expires, but I'll be giving them a call back at that time.

I just called and got the same deal as most have. $29.99 / month and canceled the NFL to go. I didn't threaten to cancel the package, I just asked if there was anything they could do for me as an eight year customer. Even though I'll probably end up turning off the Bills at half time for most games just like the past few seasons, $180 is pretty damn good value for the ticket.

Did the same thing. They credited me $20 for the month just billed and the $9.99 for the mobile package. Told them I'll call back on the NHL package later.

P.S. To those bitching about the $10/mo. HD fee, I asked about that. The rep said the fee can be waived if you're an autopay customer with no other credits on the account. So I'll have to wait until the Sunday Ticket credit expires, but I'll be giving them a call back at that time.

Unless the rep specifically told you otherwise, the HD for Life credit should be good regardless of a SUNDAY TICKETâ„¢ discounted price. HD for Life is simply another bill credit ($10 a month) and there's no reason there can't be more than one (unless told otherwise).

DIRECTV had a problem with dealers taking advantage of the Refer a Friend promotion...they were signing up their customers as "friends." DTV put the end to that real quick like.

Ah I'm going to be a new dad, therefore, I don't really care about Sunday ticket right now =)

Yeah, we already got that over on page 14. First timer?

Just so I got this straight, you'll be a single father with a newborn that's awake 24 hours a day, leaving zero time for anything other than your constant childcare - is that right?

God bless you, but do you really expect any of us to believe your life should be on hold for the next 18 years while you attend to the little varmit every second of his/her life? You can't find 3 hours for 16 weeks to watch the Bills? It's your responsibilty to be indoctorinating the child in Bills fever. It's not as if you'll glued to the tube while the offical takes 20 minutes to check the replay, and you've left junior on the poolside deck to fend for himself.

How you gonna cultivate the next generation of Bills fans if you yourself don't know what's going on? Are you gonna try that half-baked "teach your baby to read" crap, using Two Bills Drive as a tutorial?

No time for football, my god. The feminization of the American male.

Jesus, Christ. My father ignored me for most of my childhood and look how great I turned out! Do your duty and sit his ass down in front of the screen. Just pay attention and don't mistake the baby vomit for guacamole dip!

Thanks guys, just got off the phone with a very pleasant lady.

Got sunday ticket renewed for 179.99

Upgraded to HD, getting 2 HD DVR'S for free

Wouldn't budge on the 10.00 HD fee but gave me 7.00 DVR service credit for 1 year

Got 3 months Starz credit

Said when DRV service credit expires I'll get 3 month of HD credit

and said when all credits run out call back about auto pay see about Free HD for life.

Just call up DirecTV, ask to speak to customer retention, and then ask for whatever you want within reason. I don't know what kind of ST deals they're offering yet, but they'll offer stuff like free HD DVR, $10 off your bill for 5-10 months, free HBO/Cinemax, stuff like that.

Umm, but like others have said, the price has actually gone DOWN (unless you got a deal last year)... It was $279+$100 for HD. Now it's only $315....

For those who aren't aware, you also get "Short Cuts," where they cut every game down to 30 minutes for you to watch during the week. Handy, especially if you're a fantasy fan. :thumbsup:

I guess I'm rather surprised at the "outrage" of a price cut.... (except for people who don't have HD -- but if you don't have an HDTV in 2010, what's wrong with you?! :wallbash: ).

Just wanted to thank you folks for the discount information. I got $120 off last year and wasn't as greedy this time. I am still wavering on the HD price and noticed they are dealing on that. This year I wasn't as pushy but they immediately knocked $60 off the renewal price for this year.

They told me $49 for dish installation and HD receiver and $10 a month. Is it worth it?

Just so I got this straight, you'll be a single father with a newborn that's awake 24 hours a day, leaving zero time for anything other than your constant childcare - is that right?

God bless you, but do you really expect any of us to believe your life should be on hold for the next 18 years while you attend to the little varmit every second of his/her life? You can't find 3 hours for 16 weeks to watch the Bills? It's your responsibilty to be indoctorinating the child in Bills fever. It's not as if you'll glued to the tube while the offical takes 20 minutes to check the replay, and you've left junior on the poolside deck to fend for himself.

How you gonna cultivate the next generation of Bills fans if you yourself don't know what's going on? Are you gonna try that half-baked "teach your baby to read" crap, using Two Bills Drive as a tutorial?

Jesus, Christ. My father ignored me for most of my childhood and look how great I turned out! Do your duty and sit his ass down in front of the screen. Just pay attention and don't mistake the baby vomit for guacamole dip!

im with you. so 18 yrs of no tv??? give me a break.

actually what they dont know (or do), is that they will have countless hours (especially at night) when the kid will not sleep no matter what. rocking the little one and staring at a wall??? yeah right. most people rock their baby while they watch tv. they may change it up with music or a book. but im pretty sure its tv.

who do you think watches all the infomercials and late night talk shows???? new parents that cant put their kids to sleep!!!

Just wanted to thank you folks for the discount information. I got $120 off last year and wasn't as greedy this time. I am still wavering on the HD price and noticed they are dealing on that. This year I wasn't as pushy but they immediately knocked $60 off the renewal price for this year.

They told me $49 for dish installation and HD receiver and $10 a month. Is it worth it?

hd service is great man. i think basic directv is at 480 quality. for me, the quality was actually worse than regular digital tv with antenna....hd is 1080.

if u can handle it, get it.

what the hell are you talking about?????????

I didn't say I wasn't going to watch the bills ever again. But I think I should have my priorities straight right now and keep the money for food and diapers etc.

I mean a mature person would do so. My kid already has the onesie, the hat, socks, windbreaker, tshirt etc of the bills waiting on his arrival......he's destined to be a fan regardless but he has yet to enter the world so he would not even comprehend the color blue during this season. LOL You people are funny.

Actually, I didn't even realized I posted that here, because I was on another board talking about this very same thing. I might have just got confused with it.

Seriously, you all rant and rave over anything LOL.........

when the season is over.....and the bills are watching the playoffs from home once more........like we do every year (it kills me to say but I'm a realist) My kid will not even be 6mths old yet! LOL

ok, so im not gonna read thru 16 pages, but can someone please summarize and tell me if there is a discount or something like i've read about. Just got a job, so i'm thinking i'll order the ticket this year.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

I don't know if our situations are the same but see my post a few back, they gave me 2 hd dvrs and new dish for free with 0 install charge, you have to be pleasant but just keep asking.....

hd service is great man. i think basic directv is at 480 quality. for me, the quality was actually worse than regular digital tv with antenna....hd is 1080.

if u can handle it, get it.

regular direct tv shows comes in great , but I think they actually degrade some HD shows so you buy HD program package.

what the hell are you talking about?????????

I didn't say I wasn't going to watch the bills ever again. But I think I should have my priorities straight right now and keep the money for food and diapers etc.

I mean a mature person would do so. My kid already has the onesie, the hat, socks, windbreaker, tshirt etc of the bills waiting on his arrival......he's destined to be a fan regardless but he has yet to enter the world so he would not even comprehend the color blue during this season. LOL You people are funny.

Actually, I didn't even realized I posted that here, because I was on another board talking about this very same thing. I might have just got confused with it.

Seriously, you all rant and rave over anything LOL.........

when the season is over.....and the bills are watching the playoffs from home once more........like we do every year (it kills me to say but I'm a realist) My kid will not even be 6mths old yet! LOL

your post did sound like being a new dad wouldn't allow time for nfl ticket...

congrats new dad!

ok, so im not gonna read thru 16 pages, but can someone please summarize and tell me if there is a discount or something like i've read about. Just got a job, so i'm thinking i'll order the ticket this year.

Any help would be much appreciated. thanks.

the best deal around seems to be 179. bottom line.

regular direct tv shows comes in great , but I think they actually degrade some HD shows so you buy HD program package.

not for me jin, i had 480i for ALL CHANNELS. but my tv was 1080p.

it was sad to have a 1080 quality tv, but have to watch shows in 480....