Lynch arrives in Buffalo- Per PFT

And Freddy only has 5 rushing TD's in the last 2 seasons. While Jackson is better between the twenties, Lynch is the better red zone threat. But Marshawn "Because I got high" Lynch is also one problem away from a year suspension. It doesn't look good on his part to show up this late, especially since he's starting off with a clean slate with a new coaching staff. If Lynch really wants to reclaim his starting RB role, he should have showed up with everyone else.

If he wants to reclaim his starting RB role he will show up on July 29th when the pads go on because that is when it

will be determined, not during voluntary shorts and helmet practices. Think not? Go see Gailey's press conference today and listen when asked about how the QB's are doing. Don't get it twisted, it's all about pads and contact. Period.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting a degree and actually getting an education don't necessarily coincide if your an athlete ... just ask Dexter Manley ... sheesh!

Actually, Dexter Manley never got a degree.

If your boss said, "you don't have to come in on Saturday, but if you want to you can...." I'm sure you would just show up with the pride of your job in mind ...right?

How much these guys are paid is irrelevant. They have a collective bargaining agreement in place which affords them the luxury to stay away from the majority of Spring Football.

Why is it that voluntary attendance at these types of OTAs is seemingly in the 90% range? When you hear reports about NFL teams and voluntary attendance, it seems you mostly hear that all but a few players are in attendance.

As for your point about a CBA, I am a union electrician (IBEW) and work under a CBA but I do plenty of voluntary professional development…classes, seminars, trainings…none of which I get paid directly for. Some people work harder than others and are more committed to their professions.

You're also completely ignoring the plethora of different industries and work contexts that exist. In your hypothetical scenario is "my boss" a partner in a law firm, an assistant manager at a McDonalds, a General Foreman for an electrical contractor, or a mid-level accounts executive for a regional sales office? Your hypothetical is ridiculously oversimplistic. In many contexts, optional is not really optional.

But for as fans, why should we care? It's ultimately Gailey's decision. Additionally, guess what happens if Lynch gets hurt seriously in voluntary OTAs like Jackson of the Eagles yesterday? They reach an injury settlement, cut the guy, and Lynch is done with the NFL.

Why should we care?

How's this for a reason. We buy tickets. We buy merchandise. We pay to watch games on television. We are in a large group of people/companies which pay the salaries of these players.

As a person who helps pay Marshawn Lynch's salary and earnings, I want to see someone (a millionaire in this case) who has a strong work ethic and sense of professionalism. I want him to care about his job at least as much as I care about mine, especially seeing as how much money he makes.

What I don't want to see is the QB burning a timeout because Lynch doesn't know where he was supposed to line up or the QB getting sacked because Lynch wasn't clear on his assignment or misunderstood an audible. I also don't want to see the Bills repertoire of plays limited because Lynch is behind in the offense and is restricted to a small package of plays. I also don't want to see his crappy attitude being a bad influence or infecting anyone else on the team. I think it's a very naive assumption to make that these voluntary workouts are not important in terms of the installation of the new offense and defense. Listen to the players' comments (ie-Fred Jackson, Trent Edwards) and what they are saying about mentally processing the new schemes. Then tell me that it's not important that Marshawn, who was not ready to play last year after his suspension, even though he was allowed to practice with the team, is volunteering to practice with his teammates.

im in the same boat as the other posters who dont understand the need to bash Lynch in order to talk up Jackson. I like both of them and am glad to have them all on the team. why does it have to be one or the other?

And how do you feel about the people who feel the need to bash Jackson in order to talk up Lynch?

Lynch scored more TDs because he has had far more "and goal" carries then Fred Jackson has. Over his career Marshawn has had 46 "and goal" carries and has converted 10 (21.7%) of them while Freddy has 18 "and goal" carries and converted on 3 attempts (16.7%).

He's better than Freddy around the goal line but not by that much.

This is the one post that the thread was begging for. I'm glad to see one solitary attempt to present the TD debate in a statistical context BUT…

can I ask where you got these figures?

Why is it that voluntary attendance at these types of OTAs is seemingly in the 90% range? When you hear reports about NFL teams and voluntary attendance, it seems you mostly hear that all but a few players are in attendance.

As for your point about a CBA, I am a union electrician (IBEW) and work under a CBA but I do plenty of voluntary professional development…classes, seminars, trainings…none of which I get paid directly for. Some people work harder than others and are more committed to their professions.

You're also completely ignoring the plethora of different industries and work contexts that exist. In your hypothetical scenario is "my boss" a partner in a law firm, an assistant manager at a McDonalds, a General Foreman for an electrical contractor, or a mid-level accounts executive for a regional sales office? Your hypothetical is ridiculously oversimplistic. In many contexts, optional is not really optional.

Why should we care?

How's this for a reason. We buy tickets. We buy merchandise. We pay to watch games on television. We are in a large group of people/companies which pay the salaries of these players.

As a person who helps pay Marshawn Lynch's salary and earnings, I want to see someone (a millionaire in this case) who has a strong work ethic and sense of professionalism. I want him to care about his job at least as much as I care about mine, especially seeing as how much money he makes.

What I don't want to see is the QB burning a timeout because Lynch doesn't know where he was supposed to line up or the QB getting sacked because Lynch wasn't clear on his assignment or misunderstood an audible. I also don't want to see the Bills repertoire of plays limited because Lynch is behind in the offense and is restricted to a small package of plays. I also don't want to see his crappy attitude being a bad influence or infecting anyone else on the team. I think it's a very naive assumption to make that these voluntary workouts are not important in terms of the installation of the new offense and defense. Listen to the players' comments (ie-Fred Jackson, Trent Edwards) and what they are saying about mentally processing the new schemes. Then tell me that it's not important that Marshawn, who was not ready to play last year after his suspension, even though he was allowed to practice with the team, is volunteering to practice with his teammates.

And how do you feel about the people who feel the need to bash Jackson in order to talk up Lynch?

This is the one post that the thread was begging for. I'm glad to see one solitary attempt to present the TD debate in a statistical context BUT…

With all due respect to your post, Marshawn Lynch not going to voluntary OTAs si going to be the reason for you to buy or not buy tickets? Because it won't for me.

With all due respect to your post, Marshawn Lynch not going to voluntary OTAs si going to be the reason for you to buy or not buy tickets? Because it won't for me.

That's not what I said, Biscuit. I was saying that as someone who pays his salary, that I want him to attend OTAs.

I'm also not saying that I'm right (although I think I am).

But I am saying that this is honestly what I want him to do.

The Rules of Running the Ball Inside the 10:

1. Turn off the QB's helmet receiver so the idiot OC can't interfere.

Whoa!! You just made me flashback to:

1. Bills running the ball effectively down the field and then they run a halfback option near the goal line with Travis Henry that is intercepted.

2. A 4th and short call of a dump pass to Sam Gash who hardly touched the ball all season.

That's not what I said, Biscuit. I was saying that as someone who pays his salary, that I want him to attend OTAs.

Fair enough. My point was tht I'm sure we all want him there but it really doesn't matter. Gailey ultimately will decide his fate. If I were in Lynch's shoes, I'd be trying to make as many OTAs as I could because this is a huge year for the rest of his career. 3rd string rbs don't get huge paydays on the open market. But it still is voluntary and it's choice.

This perennial debate over who shows up and not is tiresome. This nettlesome issue comes up for most teams. There is a simple solution to this so called "coerced" optional system. The next CBA should make it mandatory with additional remuneration or simply put an OTA requirement in the players' contracts. In order for this approach to work all teams have to have the same OTA structures, meaning the same amount of work out dates.

If the present system isn't mandatory when it really is that in itself will cause unnecessary player/coach conflict. Who is being penalized by Lynch not showing up or missing some of the OTA dates? He is. Not showing up when there is a new coaching staff and system being installed is setting him back.

San Jose, as a union employee, you more than anyone else should be less critical of someone who abides by the labor contract and not want the employee to be penalized for something he doesn't have to do. What you want ML to do and what he is obligated to do are not the issue. ML is hurting his prospects with the Bills and he is hurting his prospects to be desired by other teams. He is making his own choice and he will have to live with the consequences.

What happens if after training camp ML shines and out plays the other backs? Then this OTA distraction becomes meaningless. Again, I repeat my main point: If OTAs are so important then they should be made mandatory in the next CBA. Let's face it OTAs are not an issue for a player such as Fauvre. Heck, training camp and a good chunk of the preseason are not a concern to the grizzly veteran.

Why should we care?

How dare you have standards and expectations! LOL. Don't worry, most people feel this way. There are only a few people who don't, but they post 12,000 times a day to make it seem like they are in the majority.

The Bills are the Bills for a reason. Players like Marshawn do nothing to help them overachieve, and until someone steps up, and the front office actually makes a positive impact, the Bills will stay status quo for the next 10 more years. It's a shame too, because Marshawn's potential would be off the charts if it wasn't for his ten cent head, and lazy work ethic.

But hey, he went to Cal!!!

This perennial debate over who shows up and not is tiresome. This nettlesome issue comes up for most teams. There is a simple solution to this so called "coerced" optional system. The next CBA should make it mandatory with additional remuneration or simply put an OTA requirement in the players' contracts. In order for this approach to work all teams have to have the same OTA structures, meaning the same amount of work out dates.

If the present system isn't mandatory when it really is that in itself will cause unnecessary player/coach conflict. Who is being penalized by Lynch not showing up or missing some of the OTA dates? He is. Not showing up when there is a new coaching staff and system being installed is setting him back.

San Jose, as a union employee, you more than anyone else should be less critical of someone who abides by the labor contract and not want the employee to be penalized for something he doesn't have to do. What you want ML to do and what he is obligated to do are not the issue. ML is hurting his prospects with the Bills and he is hurting his prospects to be desired by other teams. He is making his own choice and he will have to live with the consequences.

What happens if after training camp ML shines and out plays the other backs? Then this OTA distraction becomes meaningless. Again, I repeat my main point: If OTAs are so important then they should be made mandatory in the next CBA. Let's face it OTAs are not an issue for a player such as Fauvre. Heck, training camp and a good chunk of the preseason are not a concern to the grizzly veteran.

Yeah, because Marshawn Lynch and Brett Favre are so comparable. That's about like saying that well, Bruce Smith didn't go, so there's no way Reggie Corner should have to be there either. <_<

Let me ask you a simple question. Does it hurt the team if Marshawn Lynch attends these things or can it do nothing but help in some way? There's only one answer to that question, unless your going to try to babble off some kind of lame ass excuse to justify his laziness. Marshawn's actions speak loudly about his character. Just like him always getting in trouble. Or just like in the Hall of Fame game last year, when Eric Wood came out and was doing work on the field, while Lynch strolled out eating chips and a hot dog standing along the goal line.

There's a reason Lynch is thought of as he is. It's just a shame that he's pissing away his talent and costing himself money. But, he's too stupid to realize it. The only positive for ML is that he is young and still has plenty of time to turn into a beast. The bad part for the Bills is that by the time he grows up, he'll most likely be doing it for someone else.

And again, Marshawn is not only hurting himself, but he's also hurting the team:

"Knowing there’s a lot of ground to cover in installing new offensive and defensive schemes, Gailey and his staff have been pushing the players with a high volume of playbook installation each day. On Wednesday there were blitz packages installed on defense, while the offense worked on draw plays, screens and blitz pickups.

Adding plays and packages at such a quick pace has challenged the players mentally and kept them intently focused. Despite the demanding schedule Gailey is not convinced it will give him and his staff time to refine those plays and packages when they get through the whole playbook the first time.

“There will be review days,” he said. “I’m not sure there will be very many refinement days. But they’ll be a lot of review days. Hopefully in those review days we do a little bit of refining, but I don’t think we’ll ever get to a point where I’ll need to cancel practice.”

Remember Fred Jackson saying that Marshawn has to be here and Trent saying that the new offense was like speaking a new language?

Those who believe that this is all fun and games until the pads go on and the hitting starts are wrong, in my opinion. This is critical learning going on right now and whether Gailey will admit it or not, the players are being evaluated every day and the internal depth chart is changing every day.

OK.......I don't want to come in an ruffle any feathers here, but there are some facts that many of you are leaving out about Fred Jackson's season last year, especially when trying to compare his production to Lynch's.

You have to remember that 4 of Fred Jack's most productive games last season came Weeks 1-3 and Week 17. In the first 3 weeks of the season, Jackson got to run behind our offensive line.....our real starters before they really started dropping like flies. Granted, our offensive line is not very good even when all the starters are in there, but they were better when they were healthy for the most part early in the year. As for Week 17, the Colts played their 2nd and 3rd string defense for most of the game.

What does this matter? Well, Lynch did not get a single carry in any one of those games. Now, who knows what would have happened if Lynch got to run behind our original offensive line early in the year when guys were healthy. Nobody knows if he would have been as successful against the Colts 3rd string defense in the snow the last game of the season. The point is, if you look at some of Jackson's best games from last year, Lynch didn't have the same opportunity to produce in those same games.

Look......I am not trying to take anything away from Jackson. I am not trying to say Lynch is a better RB. I am just trying to add in some, what I think anyway, very important details that most people seem to leave out.

I hope people realize that just because they like 1 RB more than another one, doesn't mean one has to be great and the other one has to be trash. THEY CAN BE BOTH VERY GOOD RBs!!! It doesn't have to be 1 or the other.

I like Jackson. I think he is a good back. But his lack of TD making abilities is a reason for concern. The fact that he will be 30 years old is a reason for concern. He is a good RB, but the fact is he is not a GREAT RB. He is not a GAME CHANGER. He is a solid RB.

I like Lynch as well. I actually think he has more natural talent and gifts than Jackson does, but he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer either. He does stupid things off the football field that may end up ending his career at some point. But, he is also a very solid RB.....in fact, he is a Pro Bowl RB. He has a lot of skills. He actually score TDs as well! But obviously, there are many concerns about him as well.

The point is, I wish people would stop trying to praise 1 of these guys while destroying the other. They are both very good RBs and they both have their strengths and weaknesses. You don't need to work so hard to make one that much better than the other. When you break it down, they are actually pretty similar. Not in style, but in production and what they can give you. Personally, I am glad that all of these RBs are on our team. I would rather play with Lynch than against him. I would rather play with Jackson than against him. I would rather play with Spiller than against him. A creative offensive mind can get all of these guys touches if need be. While I still think that 1 of them will be gone before the season (most likely Lynch), I am not opposed to using all 3 on a regular basis.

And hey, if Edwards (Captain Checkdown) is our QB, they all might have 100+ catches by the end of the year!

Well said!

LOL....riiiight...no bias there...you say "I would love to see him turn his career around,"....BUT you preceed those comments with "Who cares. He's a knucklehead who has shown no ability to control his life off the field."...DUDE...stop hating. Lynch was by far our best RB. Fred Jackson was a better person. I would rather have a chance to win with a guy with a little crust on him than lose with a guy who is squeaky clean.

Lynch was by far the better running back, man which games are you watching? I guess it's a matter of opinion but in my belief and i would say most on here fred jackson is a better running back, person, receiver, and return man than MarTHUG Lynch.

Lynch would be a feature back with an NFL caliber O-line. Off-field issues aside, I don't get the hate for Marshawn. He plays with tremendous power and never quits. He's the best RB we have and I expect Gailey to maximize his talents.

True, until last year. I hope he comes back ready to power.

If you go to Lynch or Jackson's Yahoo profile and look under situational stats you can find it. Another interesting stat of Lynch's in 2009 was how fast he wore down after his 5th carry-

Carries 1-5, 5.0 YPC

6-10, 2.7 YPC

11-15, 2.5 YPC

16-20, 2.5 YPC

Compared to Freddy

1-5, 3.8

6-10, 4.5

11-15, 4.8

16-20, 3.1

21-25, 6.8

26-30, 10.4

31+, 2.3

And people think it's no big deal that Lynch isn't reporting to "voluntary" OTA's when conditioning clearly derailed his 2009 season?

Why should we care?

Great post!

I would understand the Lynch apologists if he was such an outstanding talent who proved each year that he can show up whenever he wants and simply excell (like Favre--for any of you nut jobs still comparing the two). But he simply is not that good. RBs are too plentiful in this league and, now, even on this team.

Yeah, because Marshawn Lynch and Brett Favre are so comparable. That's about like saying that well, Bruce Smith didn't go, so there's no way Reggie Corner should have to be there either. :)

Let me ask you a simple question. Does it hurt the team if Marshawn Lynch attends these things or can it do nothing but help in some way? There's only one answer to that question, unless your going to try to babble off some kind of lame ass excuse to justify his laziness. Marshawn's actions speak loudly about his character. Just like him always getting in trouble. Or just like in the Hall of Fame game last year, when Eric Wood came out and was doing work on the field, while Lynch strolled out eating chips and a hot dog standing along the goal line.

There's a reason Lynch is thought of as he is. It's just a shame that he's pissing away his talent and costing himself money. But, he's too stupid to realize it. The only positive for ML is that he is young and still has plenty of time to turn into a beast. The bad part for the Bills is that by the time he grows up, he'll most likely be doing it for someone else.

It is reported that the Bills had an opportunity to get rid of this knucklehead for a reasonable price. The Bills didn't make the move. ML is a known quantity. He is not known to be team oriented and the selfless type of team player. Did you appreciate his lackadaisical behavior last year? Is it not already known that he is on the plank with the Commissioners's office for his prior multiple unacceptable behavior?

Smart organizations such as the Steelers make good moves such as trading a persistent troubled first round receiver to the Jets for a measly fifth round pick. The result is that the Steelers have set up a standard and they will live up to it. No matter how talented the receiver was he is useless if he can't conduct himself to an acceptable standard.

The Bills had an opportunity to get rid of a nuisance and get a reasonable compensation for him. Now when he continues to behave as a nuisance there is an outrage. This is a typical Bills front office miscalculation. When you have a Lynch on your team don't complain when you also get the baggage. You get what you get.

Great post!

I would understand the Lynch apologists if he was such an outstanding talent who proved each year that he can show up whenever he wants and simply excell (like Favre--for any of you nut jobs still comparing the two). But he simply is not that good. RBs are too plentiful in this league and, now, even on this team.

You missed the point, as usual. I don't care whether he is a good or mediocre player. You can be an exceptional player and still not be an asset to the team. The front office had an opportunity to move him for (supposedly) a third round pick. They didn't seize that opportunity. So Marshawn Lynch is behaving like the Marshawn Lynch we know by not coming in for the OTAs. What a surprise?

Let's compare a winning franchise with a losing franchise. The Steelers got rid of a former first round receiver who like Lynch has had a face to face meeting with the Commissioner. The Steelers trade him to the Jets for a fifth round pick. The Bills had a trade offer (supposedly) for Lynch for a third round pick. The Bills declined.

Now Lynch's conduct has come to the forefront again. Are you surprised? You shouldn't be. When you have a Lynch on your roster you get the nonsense that goes with it. The Bills simply miscalculated when they drafted him and when they kept him.