If you were the San Diego Chargers..

Like A Mofo

Which QB would you keep for 2005?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Which QB would you keep for 2005?

• Drew Brees
    • Philip Rivers

This is a real dilemma for the San Diego Chargers, especially when you consider the amount of money they have invested in Philip Rivers. is Brees just having that typical "last year of contract" breakout year?? Or would you let Brees go and groom Rivers? Or trade Rivers?

And if Rivers were to be traded, do you think he may go to Miami? I believe the Dolphins wanted him in last year's draft.

Thoughts?

This is a real dilemma for the San Diego Chargers, especially when you consider the amount of money they have invested in Philip Rivers.  is Brees just having that typical "last year of contract" breakout year??  Or would you let Brees go and groom Rivers?  Or trade Rivers?

And if Rivers were to be traded, do you think he may go to Miami?  I believe the Dolphins wanted him in last year's draft.

Thoughts?

140993[/snapback]

i wouldn't have drafted rivers in the first place.........brees just needed time to develop, i don't know why they gave up on him so early........

i wouldn't have drafted rivers in the first place.........brees just needed time to develop, i don't know why they gave up on him so early........

141010[/snapback]

Its kind of funny but even in a great moment for the Chargers...they STILL have a dilemma!

What are the cap implications if they move Rivers? I know the Chargers have gone on record stating they can afford both next season even if they franchise Brees, but do you want your $40 million QB playing backup?. I believe if they move Rivers they're looking at a huge cap hit, so they may not have a choice.

Wonder what Eli thinks now?

This is a real dilemma for the San Diego Chargers, especially when you consider the amount of money they have invested in Philip Rivers.  is Brees just having that typical "last year of contract" breakout year??  Or would you let Brees go and groom Rivers?  Or trade Rivers?

And if Rivers were to be traded, do you think he may go to Miami?  I believe the Dolphins wanted him in last year's draft.

Thoughts?

140993[/snapback]

Either way, they can probably move either one for a significant package of picks and/or players, given what I've heard about the relative lack of QBs in the draft.

If it were up to me...I'd keep Brees and trade Rivers (but if it were up to me, I never would have picked Rivers to begin with). Somehow, I think the Chargers will do just the opposite, if only to save face in not being perceived that the pick used for Rivers was "wasted".

141010[/snapback]

I know you won't like this but I agree 100%. They should have went OL with that pick and or traded down.

I know you won't like this but I agree 100%. They should have went OL with that pick and or traded down.

141125[/snapback]

Totally agree - Brees and Tomlinson should be the cornerstones of an offence that last for years. Instead the Chargers have wasted a great pick on an irrelevance... How good would Robert Gallery have made that offence?

It depends on the cap implications which I don't know, The Charger's already look dumb for investing in their QB of the future while their QB of the past plays well. The main way they will look even dumber is if they let one go and he stars while the one they keep totally tanks. In general I would think you win by being aggressive and shooting for what you think will work rather than by trying to avoid looking bad. however, they already look really stupid this year and to make the wrong move would make them look so galactically stupid, you have to take downsides into account.

That being said:

1. If I can truly afford both of them I keep both of them. I will better be able to assess Rivers' development next year and for a brief period in time I still can trade Brees if Rivers looks good. Assuming Rivers develops I stand more of a chance of not missing a best with the transition. Unfortunately, I have tio franchise Brees to keep him but because I made the drafting error it's no going to be perfect whatever I do. Since I have two starting QBs I have no starting QB and doing the gnarly difficult job (which the Bills are actually doing right now) of trying to develop the youngster while sticking with the vet is the cost of being stupid in the draft.

2. If I can't afford or do not want to pay both , then it comes down to looking Rivers' in the eye and assessing how I think he will do and how much he wants to be here. Keeping Rivers is probably the good financial choice and you franchise Bress and try to arrange some trade and sign deal and I do this unless I now assess that I made a huge error in drafting him in the first place which I think Rivers' showed too much talent in college for this to be the case.

Either way, they can probably move either one for a significant package of picks and/or players, given what I've heard about the relative lack of QBs in the draft. 

If it were up to me...I'd keep Brees and trade Rivers (but if it were up to me, I never would have picked Rivers to begin with).  Somehow, I think the Chargers will do just the opposite, if only to save face in not being perceived that the pick used for Rivers was "wasted".

141100[/snapback]

Seems to me the chargers are stuck. Cant trade rivers as all of bonus, i believe around 17 mil, will accelerate into next years cap. If go the TD route and franchise Brees, he may well take the one year deal , again not sure, but i think the number around 10M for QBs. Now your really screwed if he does that.

As an aside, I think the NFL should change the rules so that if a trade occurs, the bonus can be prorated over the length of the contract for the new team, provided they reimburse original team for the portion of the bonus money they will now pick up.