Bills can create some nasty match-ups

Too bad he doesn't have crazy mental abilities or crazy muscles on his waify little body. Call me crazy but 170lbs is just not going to cut it in the NFL.

Deshaun Jackson is about the same size and he does pretty well. I just can't understand how a guy with that kind of quickness can't get open.

I don't hold any of the players responsible for the lack of production under Jauron. It's not just a coincidence that guys who used to make plays (Evans, TO) just started to suck. When your offensive philosophy is excrement, and you don't understand the concept of pass protection, you're not going to score points no matter who you have at receiver.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys I have read all the comments and I have to say I am a doom and gloomer. I couldn't disagree anymore with most of your comments.

(1) Our QB situation is "pathetic" to say the least. I am not willing to pronounce Gailey as this "Godlike" creature who can create some great or even decent QB play from our QB roster. Also, I am not ready to say "Brohm" is the man either. Sure, I will say that the offense probably has a little more room to succeed with Gailey and company, new additions, and slightly more experienced players. But, I just don't see a dramatic improvement.

(2) Very weak receiving unit. Lee Evans and that's it. Nelson has done nothing, Parrish has done nothing, Easley has done nothing, and Hardy looks like he is lost out there. Besides our QB's can't even throw the ball down field. (ie) Captain check down who is likely to be our starter.

(3) Very weak offensive line with lots of question marks and what ifs...No left or right tackle. Injuries to Woods, Bell and Meridith....Too many holes, unanswered questions and lack of experience...

To me all this adds up to an easy way to defend our offense. Stack the box and take away our running attack. Rush our QB hard and make them beat you with the passing attack. For ten years we haven't been able to find a solution... THREE AND OUT.....

Sorry about the negative post but that is the way I see it... Time will tell who is right and I hope I am wrong.

Hi guys I have read all the comments and I have to say I am a doom and gloomer. I couldn't disagree anymore with most of your comments.

(1) Our QB situation is "pathetic" to say the least. I am not willing to pronounce Gailey as this "Godlike" creature who can create some great or even decent QB play from our QB roster. Also, I am not ready to say "Brohm" is the man either. Sure, I will say that the offense probably has a little more room to succeed with Gailey and company, new additions, and slightly more experienced players. But, I just don't see a dramatic improvement.

(2) Very weak receiving unit. Lee Evans and that's it. Nelson has done nothing, Parrish has done nothing, Easley has done nothing, and Hardy looks like he is lost out there. Besides our QB's can't even throw the ball down field. (ie) Captain check down who is likely to be our starter.

(3) Very weak offensive line with lots of question marks and what ifs...No left or right tackle. Injuries to Woods, Bell and Meridith....Too many holes, unanswered questions and lack of experience...

To me all this adds up to an easy way to defend our offense. Stack the box and take away our running attack. Rush our QB hard and make them beat you with the passing attack. For ten years we haven't been able to find a solution... THREE AND OUT.....

Sorry about the negative post but that is the way I see it... Time will tell who is right and I hope I am wrong.

Hey, at least you apologized. :) Catchy user ID, by the way.

I think your points are, quite simply, the "easy" analysis of the 2010 Buffalo Bills. There's nothing anyone can factually dispute, but your conclusions all assume the worst case scenario. That's fine and dandy, but many of us choose some "cautious optimism" instead.

You say the QB situation is "pathetic" -- I say you are placing far less importance on the value of coaching.

You say the WR corps is "very weak" -- I say they're unproven, but opportunity is knocking.

Similarly, you easily recount the question marks along the offensive line -- I counter that many of those players gained valuable experience under difficult situations last year, and look forward to growth in those gentlemen.

It's all about perspective. I'm about to go and enjoy a wonderful meal and bottle of wine with my lovely wife, despite the fact I've spent my entire weekend thus far buried in work. I could piss and moan about having to work so hard, or look forward to the next few hours. Guess which I'm doing?

Happy Memorial Day, all!

The optimism on this thread is refreshing, I expected to be accused of mental retardation by this point.

Finally fans are taking a more realistic look at the Bills Offense. The big if is with the QBs and offensive line.

Lets hope Trent Edwards and Gailey are both on the same page and the O-line comes to play man for man. Then look out.

The defense looks to be vastly improved stoping the run. Solid D-Line with some quality LBs. If they can get a resemblance of a pass rush all the better. The secondary will be the best part of the defense. I' m liking this team more and more, especially the coaching......

Honestly, the doom-and-gloomers should be accused of mental retardation long before you. All you need to do is look at the success that Gailey had with Tyler Thigpen to see what he can do with offenses.

Every year 31 teams don't win the SB, 20 teams don't make the playoffs and at least a couple of teams surprise, both positively and negatively. Who would have thought the Jests would make the AFC Championship game and the Titans wouldn't make the playoffs last year.

There are three ways to look at the Bills every offseason.

1. Focus on the bad and almost always be right that the team can't win the SB or make the playoffs this year, it makes the opinion sound smart at the end of the year and it gives the ability to be able to say "I told you so." more often than not.

2. Take a realistic approach and make assessments based on past history and likely future. (Almost nobody can do this.)

3. Look at the whole picture as being rosy and there are very few things to be concerned about and almost always be wrong and sound dumb at the end of the year but earn your stripes as a fan.

I think of myself as between 2 and 3 most of the time.

The doom and gloomers don't see the positive possibilities and like to piss and moan about things. I don't get why these guys are fans. Why would you want to constantly be that negative about anything. If the constant losing and lack of hope are so dismaying then; stop watching games or even talking about the team until they start doing well. (There's always more room on the bandwagon when things are going well.) Another option is to pick a different team that's doing well and then when they hit hard times move on to a different one. For God's sake do something to be happy in your life.

The doom and gloomers aren't retarded they are people who like to be right most of the time and possess the need for misery. JMO

I don't get the Easley love...the kid's an interesting developmental prospect, but he's only got one year of starting experience at a mid-level program. If Hardy struggled to learn route running his rookie year, Easley's head is gonna flat out explode, IMO.

I suspect he'll play the #5 WR and contribute on special teams, but don't see 'it' happening until 2011...

Your proof of this would be what? Is it that you think that all people are the same with learning abilities and talent?

Whoa, for a second there I thought I was reading a thread from offseason 2007-09.

:w00t:

Too bad he doesn't have crazy mental abilities or crazy muscles on his waify little body. Call me crazy but 170lbs is just not going to cut it in the NFL.

Hey Inkman where've you been? Haven't seen ya around in awhile.

Deshaun Jackson is about the same size and he does pretty well. I just can't understand how a guy with that kind of quickness can't get open.

I don't hold any of the players responsible for the lack of production under Jauron. It's not just a coincidence that guys who used to make plays (Evans, TO) just started to suck. When your offensive philosophy is excrement, and you don't understand the concept of pass protection, you're not going to score points no matter who you have at receiver.

DeSean Jackson is 5"10" 175 pounds and ran a 4.35 coming out of college. Roscoe Parrish is 5"9" 171 and ran a 4.37 coming out of college. I think the reason for Parrish's lack of production is more on him than any situation he's been in. There is a chance that Gailey will be able to get all of his talent out of him and he ends up with 50 catches but I'm skeptical about this. I'd love to see this happen because he is fast and quick and entertaining as hell when he has room to run.

Hey, at least you apologized. :w00t: Catchy user ID, by the way.

I think your points are, quite simply, the "easy" analysis of the 2010 Buffalo Bills. There's nothing anyone can factually dispute, but your conclusions all assume the worst case scenario. That's fine and dandy, but many of us choose some "cautious optimism" instead.

You say the QB situation is "pathetic" -- I say you are placing far less importance on the value of coaching.

You say the WR corps is "very weak" -- I say they're unproven, but opportunity is knocking.

Similarly, you easily recount the question marks along the offensive line -- I counter that many of those players gained valuable experience under difficult situations last year, and look forward to growth in those gentlemen.

It's all about perspective. I'm about to go and enjoy a wonderful meal and bottle of wine with my lovely wife, despite the fact I've spent my entire weekend thus far buried in work. I could piss and moan about having to work so hard, or look forward to the next few hours. Guess which I'm doing?

Happy Memorial Day, all!

I couldn't have said it better myself!! :)

If the Bills still had TO or some other proven WR to pair with Evans, I'd confidently say that the offense will be much better, if not good, this year. But my concern is that with extra attention being paid to Evans, teams concentrate on shutting down the run. The coaching, O-line, and even QB play should be much improved over last year.

Looking over our offensive weapons, if utilized properly, we could give defenses fits with their coverages. Evans has as much straight line speed as anyone out there, Nelson has good size and speed out of the TE position, Parrish has crazy quickness (imagine him in a Patriots offense) Hardy has a physical advantage at 6' 5" w/ 4.5 40 speed, and let's not forget the elusive CJ Spiller who can come out of the backfield and find matchups against linebackers in coverage.

If teams go nickle and dime to cover that, pound away with FJ and Lynch. We've got the weapons, it's just a matter of knowing how to use them.

Two problems. Some of your nasty matchups are purely imaginary at this point. Nelson and especially Parrish simply haven't shown any ability to use their abilities. Anything can happen, but I'm betting Parrish especially continues being a completel non-factor as a WR.

The second problem is that defenses also can create some nasty matchups. Anyone against Demetrius Bell is a complete mismatch in favor of the defense. Same at RT, though it shouldn't be nearly so bad with Cornell Green, but defenses are absolutely going to concentrate on him.

And with Nelson's ability to block being limited, using him is like waving a red flag (we're going to pass. Shawn here is going out on a route!!!) That limits his effectiveness quite a bit.

Your proof of this would be what? Is it that you think that all people are the same with learning abilities and talent?

News Flash. You don't have to prove stuff that you say you suspect. However, there is overwhelming evidence that a very small percentage of WRs have much success in their first years. That's why he suspects that Easley, who only played one year at WR, and played at a small school besides, is likely not to see much daylight this year. He's probably right.

Two problems. Some of your nasty matchups are purely imaginary at this point. Nelson and especially Parrish simply haven't shown any ability to use their abilities. Anything can happen, but I'm betting Parrish especially continues being a completel non-factor as a WR.

The second problem is that defenses also can create some nasty matchups. Anyone against Demetrius Bell is a complete mismatch in favor of the defense. Same at RT, though it shouldn't be nearly so bad with Cornell Green, but defenses are absolutely going to concentrate on him.

And with Nelson's ability to block being limited, using him is like waving a red flag (we're going to pass. Shawn here is going out on a route!!!) That limits his effectiveness quite a bit.

Parrish I agree has shown that he likely won't suddenly break out. If he does, it will be gravy. Nelson OTOH was a rookie last year in a completely dysfunctional offense. He's got skills and while not a great blocker, is willing to mix-it-up. And his presence on the field won't be a tip-off as long as the Bills occasionally run the ball, to his side, when he's out there. As for Bell, I doubt he starts at LT (I think Meredith will win it) and Green can hold his own at RT, as long as he keeps penalties to a minimum. And Gailey's rep is one of getting his players to limit penalties.

News Flash. You don't have to prove stuff that you say you suspect. However, there is overwhelming evidence that a very small percentage of WRs have much success in their first years. That's why he suspects that Easley, who only played one year at WR, and played at a small school besides, is likely not to see much daylight this year. He's probably right.

While it's true that rookie WR's rarely excel and Easley probably won't be the exception, he played WR for all 4 years at UCONN, which is in the Big East. True he didn't see much action at WR his first 3 years, but he didn't play there for just 1 year, and UCONN isn't a small school. And during his first 3 years, he became an excellent blocker, only flashing some receiving ability in his senior season. He's got size, speed, blocking skills, can play ST's, and is a hard worker. Those are some good tools to work with.

I agree,

This is going to be a breakout year for Shaun Nelson and watch for Marcus Easley to explode out of the gate fast, especially for a WR, the kids got the it factor and don't forget Action Freddie Jackson who behind a good O-line could chew up defenses for big chunks of yardage every time he touches the ball,

I'm pumped :)

But, "Don't forget"...Marshawn Lynch can do that too, under those circumstances...and I would bet CJ Spiller AND Joique Bell could do it too... :w00t:

Problem is...how "good" will our O-Line be???

Parrish I agree has shown that he likely won't suddenly break out. If he does, it will be gravy. Nelson OTOH was a rookie last year in a completely dysfunctional offense. He's got skills and while not a great blocker, is willing to mix-it-up. And his presence on the field won't be a tip-off as long as the Bills occasionally run the ball, to his side, when he's out there. As for Bell, I doubt he starts at LT (I think Meredith will win it) and Green can hold his own at RT, as long as he keeps penalties to a minimum. And Gailey's rep is one of getting his players to limit penalties.

I'd love to see Nelson break out. I think it's possible, certainly much more possible than it is with Parrish. No question that everyone was held back by that offense. But being a one-dimensional TE does limit your effectiveness somewhat. IMHO the Bills WON'T run the ball to his side when he's out there. I'd love to be wrong about that, and as you say, he does love to mix it up, so it could happen. But he has a ways to go, and I'll believe it when I see it.

Will Meredith beat out Bell at LT? My understanding about Meredith is that he's tough enough to play either tackle position, but not athletic enough to be an LT. I don't think either of them is even close to being a long-term solution at LT. I hope I'm wrong about that, but it doesn't look like I am. I personally hope to see Meredith become our starting long-term RT at some time in the near-future.

While it's true that rookie WR's rarely excel and Easley probably won't be the exception, he played WR for all 4 years at UCONN, which is in the Big East. True he didn't see much action at WR his first 3 years, but he didn't play there for just 1 year, and UCONN isn't a small school. And during his first 3 years, he became an excellent blocker, only flashing some receiving ability in his senior season. He's got size, speed, blocking skills, can play ST's, and is a hard worker. Those are some good tools to work with.

I guess I mis-spoke when I said he only played WR for a year. I meant that he only produced at WR for a year. Yeah, he practiced there, but I was referring to on-the-field experience. I mean, the guy had 5 catches total before his senior year. Yeah, he played a tiny bit at WR, but basically, in his first two years he was a special-teamer who also practiced at WR and played there for a few snaps. You said he was four years at CT, but he only was on the team for three years. His first year he didn't go out for the team.

I don't consider UConn a big school, and I'm from around there. Feel free to disagree, but last year, they played Ohio, North Carolina, Baylor, Rhode Island, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Syracuse, USF and South Carolina in the Papajohn's Bowl. That's not a bunch of creampuffs, but it's also not exactly a murderer's row.

The bottom line for Parrish is that when other teams bumped him at the line, he couldn't get off it and into his route in time. That's not something that will just suddenly clear up. DESEAN Jackson is able to get into his routes quickly no matter what the CB does.

Honestly, the doom-and-gloomers should be accused of mental retardation long before you. All you need to do is look at the success that Gailey had with Tyler Thigpen to see what he can do with offenses.

You mean all the success he had with Thigpen in 2008, the year they were the 24th best offense in the league? The year they averaged 195.6 yards per game and 6.2 YPA? Those are the numbers that have you jumping up and down in anticipation for his first year here? Seriously?

Guest dog14787
But, "Don't forget"...Marshawn Lynch can do that too, under those circumstances...and I would bet CJ Spiller AND Joique Bell could do it too... :)

Problem is...how "good" will our O-Line be???

Yup, all the talent we have at the RB position is only going to help our young O-line and QB in my opinion. :w00t:

The Glove wearing Mary/Captain Checkdown becomes a very dangerous lady indeed with the likes of Spiller/Jackson/Beast mode at his disposal.

This Bills football team has enough talent to make some waves if everything comes together the way Nix/Gailey would like it to come together and I for one am very optimistic that eventually things will.

I Billieve...

You mean all the success he had with Thigpen in 2008, the year they were the 24th best offense in the league? The year they averaged 195.6 yards per game and 6.2 YPA? Those are the numbers that have you jumping up and down in anticipation for his first year here? Seriously?

Well what were our QB's combined stats last year? And I doubt many people would argue that we have more talent on our team than KC did in 2008.

With all of those options in the backfield for Trent, Bills fans will never see a throw go more than 5 yards downfield.

Hey, as long as it moves efficiently and your receivers can move after the catch then you dont need to throw the long ball.

Once Thigpen got comfortable in the pistol, he improved.

Over his last 10 games in 2008, Thigpen completed 192 passes in 330 attempts for 2,216 yards, 16 touchdowns and only eight interceptions.

That's nearly 222 yards per game and 12 YPC. not bad considering the player and team.

im not trying to be negative here, but you really shouldnt be excited for the matchups, esp when you look around the league.

I doubt DCs are seeing the buffalo bills on the schedule and spending extra time on how to stop these crazy matchups.

From a DC standpoint its pretty easy to confuse young WRs, and TEs for that matter with hidden and/or rolling coverages.

And for that matter Evans had TO playing opposite him last year, and still couldnt get open.

Yea the O line sucked sometimes but there were plenty of downs where no one was open and we checked down.

Looking over our offensive weapons, if utilized properly, we could give defenses fits with their coverages. Evans has as much straight line speed as anyone out there, Nelson has good size and speed out of the TE position, Parrish has crazy quickness (imagine him in a Patriots offense) Hardy has a physical advantage at 6' 5" w/ 4.5 40 speed, and let's not forget the elusive CJ Spiller who can come out of the backfield and find matchups against linebackers in coverage.

If teams go nickle and dime to cover that, pound away with FJ and Lynch. We've got the weapons, it's just a matter of knowing how to use them.

Optimistically, I agree wholeheartedly.

I think of 2 things: 1.) Gailey's year as offensive coordinator in KC, and 2.) the effect RB Chris Johnson has had on an otherwise lackluster Titan offense.

IF we ground and pound with our impressive stable of RB's that has been amassed this offseason, control the clock, move the chains, etc, etc...that will have numerous benefits for the offense. First, I see the QB gaining confidence and providing our O-line stops false starting (yeah, YOU Bell!) and/ or jumping the snap, the QB position will stop being placed in 3rd and long situations. To have the options of a CJ Spiller busting a big one, Roscoe catching something in the slot on an underneath route, and hopefully an improved TE in Nelson, the Bills may step up and surprise people. Add to that if Hardy can come in and be a true #2 to Lee, then we may truly have the makings of an offense. Second, a tough, mauling running game that produces first downs WILL open up the passing game. Heck, why pass if you can keep getting 1st downs on the ground? Chew up the clock, control the game, wear down the opposing D, and when it comes late November and early December in Buffalo and the temperature drops, our opponents will NOT want to be tackling all day long.

This could be the scenario. Add to that improved health and conditioning of the players from an improved strength program, and the old snares that stopped the Bills in the past could be exorcised.