Bills can create some nasty match-ups

I don't know what to expect, but Gailey has shown he can take average talent and make it good enough to win. Sure, we have average talent in some places - but, my point, once or twice before, was that in some areas we have above average talent. So, what can Gailey do with three very good running backs, each a bit different than the other? What can he do with a few different personnel groupings that feature 4.4 or better speed all over the place? I don't expect the Super Bowl this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if we finished with a 4-12 record, but, if Gailey is an offensive genius and if things fall right for him we could see an offense that no one expects - one we aren't known for having and which isn't talked about alot - and that is a very fast offense that can maybe score a lot of long TD's - 30+ yard scores.

I think our Defense will be solid and good all around for us. I think we've got some missing links offensively, but I do get excited thinking that we could have the beginnings of something like what St.Louis had the year they came out of nowhere and tore people up.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what to expect, but Gailey has shown he can take average talent and make it good enough to win. Sure, we have average talent in some places - but, my point, once or twice before, was that in some areas we have above average talent. So, what can Gailey do with three very good running backs, each a bit different than the other? What can he do with a few different personnel groupings that feature 4.4 or better speed all over the place? I don't expect the Super Bowl this year, and I wouldn't be surprised if we finished with a 4-12 record, but, if Gailey is an offensive genius and if things fall right for him we could see an offense that no one expects - one we aren't known for having and which isn't talked about alot - and that is a very fast offense that can maybe score a lot of long TD's - 30+ yard scores.

I think our Defense will be solid and good all around for us. I think we've got some missing links offensively, but I do get excited thinking that we could have the beginnings of something like what St.Louis had the year they came out of nowhere and tore people up.

I like the St. Louis reference. If Spiller lives up to his billing he could be the X factor in the passing game for us that Marshall Faulk was for them.

I'd love to see Nelson break out. I think it's possible, certainly much more possible than it is with Parrish. No question that everyone was held back by that offense. But being a one-dimensional TE does limit your effectiveness somewhat. IMHO the Bills WON'T run the ball to his side when he's out there. I'd love to be wrong about that, and as you say, he does love to mix it up, so it could happen. But he has a ways to go, and I'll believe it when I see it.

Not every good offense has a TE who is a great receiver and blocker. And Nelson isn't stuck being a liability in run blocking since he can improve.

As for the Bills not running to his side at all, that would be foolish because as you said, it would be a tip-off to opposing teams. Not to mention you don't know what he can do in the running game if you don't try and find out.

Will Meredith beat out Bell at LT? My understanding about Meredith is that he's tough enough to play either tackle position, but not athletic enough to be an LT. I don't think either of them is even close to being a long-term solution at LT. I hope I'm wrong about that, but it doesn't look like I am. I personally hope to see Meredith become our starting long-term RT at some time in the near-future.

Meredith has the athleticism to play LT. His combine/pro day numbers compared favorably to Oher. Bell is just too far behind and his injury only makes it harder for him.

I guess I mis-spoke when I said he only played WR for a year. I meant that he only produced at WR for a year. Yeah, he practiced there, but I was referring to on-the-field experience. I mean, the guy had 5 catches total before his senior year. Yeah, he played a tiny bit at WR, but basically, in his first two years he was a special-teamer who also practiced at WR and played there for a few snaps. You said he was four years at CT, but he only was on the team for three years. His first year he didn't go out for the team.

I don't consider UConn a big school, and I'm from around there. Feel free to disagree, but last year, they played Ohio, North Carolina, Baylor, Rhode Island, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia, Rutgers, Cincinnati, Notre Dame, Syracuse, USF and South Carolina in the Papajohn's Bowl. That's not a bunch of creampuffs, but it's also not exactly a murderer's row.

I'm sure if you looked at most of the top-ranked WR's this year (and there weren't many), you could poke holes in their schedules as well. But Easley fared well against CB's who were drafted higher than him, like the Pats' McCourty (1st rounder) and Rams' Murphy (1st pick of the 3rd round). And it's not like the Huskies were an offensive powerhouse, or had a great QB.

Not every good offense has a TE who is a great receiver and blocker. And Nelson isn't stuck being a liability in run blocking since he can improve.

As for the Bills not running to his side at all, that would be foolish because as you said, it would be a tip-off to opposing teams. Not to mention you don't know what he can do in the running game if you don't try and find out.

Meredith has the athleticism to play LT. His combine/pro day numbers compared favorably to Oher. Bell is just too far behind and his injury only makes it harder for him.

I'm sure if you looked at most of the top-ranked WR's this year (and there weren't many), you could poke holes in their schedules as well. But Easley fared well against CB's who were drafted higher than him, like the Pats' McCourty (1st rounder) and Rams' Murphy (1st pick of the 3rd round). And it's not like the Huskies were an offensive powerhouse, or had a great QB.

this is true

Easley will be a stud this year

All of that talk about WRs needing several years to transition to the NFL do not apply to Bills receivers because of the great coaching they will get. :w00t:

In fact, Hardy and Johnson will probably leap frog Lee Evans due to the great coaching (especially since that 3 year breakout year was repealed) :)

this is true

Easley will be a stud this year

All of that talk about WRs needing several years to transition to the NFL do not apply to Bills receivers because of the great coaching they will get. :w00t:

Obviously you missed it when I said this:

While it's true that rookie WR's rarely excel and Easley probably won't be the exception...

In fact, Hardy and Johnson will probably leap frog Lee Evans due to the great coaching (especially since that 3 year breakout year was repealed) :)

Um, this is Hardy and Johnson's 3rd year, so no need to repeal it. But whether they break out remains to be seen. As I also said before, I'd be much more comfortable with another proven WR (like TO) across from Evans, than counting on Hardy, Johnson, or Easley.

This is going to be a breakout year for Shaun Nelson and watch for Marcus Easley to explode out of the gate fast, especially for a WR, the kids got the it factor and don't forget Action Freddie Jackson who behind a good O-line could chew up defenses for big chunks of yardage every time he touches the ball,

:)

While I think that this Bills team could be one of the worst Bills teams ever, I am encouraged by what Nix and Galley say and do. Reading the quotes from the players talking about how the Bills resemble a pro team now (workouts, squats, endurance training, an actual plan) makes me encouraged about the future. The Bills have talent, but the players have to perform.

Obviously you missed it when I said this:

Um, this is Hardy and Johnson's 3rd year, so no need to repeal it. But whether they break out remains to be seen. As I also said before, I'd be much more comfortable with another proven WR (like TO) across from Evans, than counting on Hardy, Johnson, or Easley.

i think anyone with half a brain would have to agree. As fans we all love thinking about the potential of young players, but most do not pan out, see J. Reed, R. Parrish etc.

Counting on evans who catches about 50 balls a year for 7 TDs doesnt make me feel that great either.

Guest dog14787
i think anyone with half a brain would have to agree. As fans we all love thinking about the potential of young players, but most do not pan out, see J. Reed, R. Parrish etc.

Counting on evans who catches about 50 balls a year for 7 TDs doesnt make me feel that great either.

I suppose WR's like Randy Moss or James Lofton never got the memo, whom both went on to make the pro bowl as rookies.

Any one with half a brain would realize its very possible for WR's to have productive seasons as rookie's.

I suppose WR's like Randy Moss or James Lofton never got the memo, whom both went on to make the pro bowl as rookies.

Any one with half a brain would realize its very possible for WR's to have productive seasons as rookie's.

Cute reply but really? Randy Moss won the Biletnifkoff award as the top college WR in the country and James Lofton as an AP all american. easy to pick two HOFers with good college careers.

Unfortunately we are hoping on a some small time college WRs, none of whom is even close to the above mentioned players in terms of college careers.

So im not really sure what your snippy post was about.

Looking over our offensive weapons, if utilized properly, we could give defenses fits with their coverages. Evans has as much straight line speed as anyone out there, Nelson has good size and speed out of the TE position, Parrish has crazy quickness (imagine him in a Patriots offense) Hardy has a physical advantage at 6' 5" w/ 4.5 40 speed, and let's not forget the elusive CJ Spiller who can come out of the backfield and find matchups against linebackers in coverage.

If teams go nickle and dime to cover that, pound away with FJ and Lynch. We've got the weapons, it's just a matter of knowing how to use them.

Key is can the team stay healthy. Hopefully the new conditioning coaches will have a better impact on our team. One good thing about all the injuries last year was it gave 2nd and 3rd string players a lot of experience. So there's a lot of promise, there's a lot of good talent on the team as long as it's utilized the right way. I agree Nelson will probably become the #1 TE. He's gonna be great. I think Steve Johnson is gonna be our new 3rd down man. For some reason I see him fitting Josh Reeds spot. Someone's gonna have to step up this year, I'm just wondering who it will be..

Guest dog14787
Cute reply but really? Randy Moss won the Biletnifkoff award as the top college WR in the country and James Lofton as an AP all american. easy to pick two HOFers with good college careers.

Unfortunately we are hoping on a some small time college WRs, none of whom is even close to the above mentioned players in terms of college careers.

So im not really sure what your snippy post was about.

OK Snippy :rolleyes:

I was reading a study done from 1970 to 2006 earlier today and about one out of every 10 WR's that becomes a pro bowl receiver in their career makes the pro bowl in their first year.

So while it may not be probable for a WR to play and do well in his first year, its possible.

Now I'm not saying Marcus Easley will make the pro bowl, what I am saying is Easley will become a starter in his rookie season.

You got it or you don't and in my opinion Easley's got it so lets wait and see who's right and who is wrong,

OK Snippy :rolleyes:

I was reading a study done from 1970 to 2006 earlier today and about one out of every 10 WR's that becomes a pro bowl receiver in their career makes the pro bowl in their first year.

So while it may not be probable for a WR to play and do well in his first year, its possible.

Now I'm not saying Marcus Easley will make the pro bowl, what I am saying is Easley will become a starter in his rookie season.

You got it or you don't and in my opinion Easley's got it so lets wait and see who's right and who is wrong,

fair enough. My post was not specifically in reply to your or anyone else's. My point is that the Bills WRs, the young ones, arent highly touted players, not guys you can easily see making the pro bowl. That doesnt mean they can or im saying they wont, just means they are def long shots.

Guest dog14787
fair enough. My post was not specifically in reply to your or anyone else's. My point is that the Bills WRs, the young ones, arent highly touted players, not guys you can easily see making the pro bowl. That doesnt mean they can or im saying they wont, just means they are def long shots.

Likewise, and my point is while most WR's normally do take longer getting up to NFL speed, a few are able to adjust quickly and have a productive rookie season. I also believe coming into the NFL at the same time your Coaching staff is installing a new offense increases the chance for rookies or 2nd year players to earn a start.

Goes for all positions including the QB