Poz one of the best tacklers?

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/...ve-them-a-break

Sorry if already posted...but, I think Poz steps up BIG TIME this year.

He will be a Top-10 MLB in the NFL.

Agreed, I think this new 3-4 scheme will allow him to play faster and not have run defense depend on him breaking through the opposing teams O-Line. Thats not his style of play. I hope this scheme helps his blitzing. He gets swallowed up at the LOS at times. Hopefully Troup and Company can open up some holes for him.

I found this interesting in the article too:

"On offense, the New England Patriots were tied for fifth, breaking tackles on 6.3 percent of their plays. The Bills were tied for eighth at 6.2 percent. The Dolphins were tied for 15th at 5.6 percent. You'd think a run-dominant team like the New York Jets would be higher than 24th, making opponents miss on 4.9 percent of their plays."

Obviously, our skill players can make things happen, we were 8th in the league at O players breaking tackles (and we added CJ too), now if we can just get them the damn ball, we'll be in good shape.

And I never understood all of the talk last season that Poz wasn't playing well, the guy is solid and still getting better.

I found this interesting in the article too:

"On offense, the New England Patriots were tied for fifth, breaking tackles on 6.3 percent of their plays. The Bills were tied for eighth at 6.2 percent. The Dolphins were tied for 15th at 5.6 percent. You'd think a run-dominant team like the New York Jets would be higher than 24th, making opponents miss on 4.9 percent of their plays."

Obviously, our skill players can make things happen, we were 8th in the league at O players breaking tackles (and we added CJ too), now if we can just get them the damn ball, we'll be in good shape.

Maybe it is better for a team to actually create holes than break tackles?

Maybe it is better for a team to actually create holes than break tackles?

I completely agree. Note that there wasn't that big a difference between the 5th best team (6.3% of all plays with a tackle broken) and the 24th best team (4.9% of all plays with a tackle broken). That's a difference of 1.4% of all offensive plays!

Compare that to blocking. I saw a really good article about run blocking, Marshawn Lynch, and Fred Jackson. It demonstrated that for both players, the key factor was whether all five offensive linemen won their individual battles. When all five did, both players had a sparkling yards-per-carry average. But when at least one offensive lineman lost his individual battle, the average yards per carry fell a great deal for both players. By about two to three yards per carry, if I recall correctly.

On running plays, a somewhat respectable OL will win his individual battles about 80% of the time. If all five offensive linemen are at that 80% mark, then on any given play there is a 33% chance that all five of them will win their individual battles. But if each offensive lineman wins his individual battles 90% of the time, then there is a 59% chance of all five guys winning their battles on any given play! That's 26% of all running plays right there! I would tentatively guess that you'd be looking at a similar analysis, and a similar resulting percentage, for passing plays. Possibly even a higher percentage.

A team that's good at breaking tackles will get broken tackles on 1.4 percentage points more plays than a team that's lousy at it. A team that's good at run blocking will win all its individual battles on 26 percentage points more running plays than a team that is mediocre at run blocking.