Mathias Kiwanuka's brother in critical condition

It's horrible, but we see it all the time. People speeding and driving recklessly on a donorcycle believe they are invincible.

i beg to differ, being a person who has a motorcycle and my father has 2 we can both tell you the majority of the time people in cars dont even look for motorcycles..i\t was probably her fault, it even says she pulled in front of him people do not look for motorcycles they just dont and it's sad i know people whpo have ;lost their lives way too young because of idiots in cars..you should look 3, 4, or 5 times before pulling into traffic.

donorcycle :pirate: here's another kool little fun fact, unless those witnesses has a radar gun they don't know he was speeding...motorcycles look like they are going faster then they actually are because they are smaller compared to a car and ;louder which gives the impression they are blowing past you...i'm not saying all people that have motorcycles don't speed but there is no way to know exactly how fast he was going unless his speedometer was frozen upon the impact

i beg to differ, being a person who has a motorcycle and my father has 2 we can both tell you the majority of the time people in cars dont even look for motorcycles..i\t was probably her fault, it even says she pulled in front of him people do not look for motorcycles they just dont and it's sad i know people whpo have ;lost their lives way too young because of idiots in cars..you should look 3, 4, or 5 times before pulling into traffic.

donorcycle :pirate: here's another kool little fun fact, unless those witnesses has a radar gun they don't know he was speeding...motorcycles look like they are going faster then they actually are because they are smaller compared to a car and ;louder which gives the impression they are blowing past you...i'm not saying all people that have motorcycles don't speed but there is no way to know exactly how fast he was going unless his speedometer was frozen upon the impact

Dude was thrown 100 feet from his bike. I'm going to believe the witnesses in this case.

Motorcycles are cool but they certainly raise the level of danger to all motorists.

There are 2 sides to this argument. Having owned a motorcycle myself, I can say that there are an unfortunate number of people who do not know how to react to them while driving their own vehicle; from tailgating, to not checking blindspots or blindly pulling out of driveways, to not liking motorcycles on the road and intentionally dealing with them in an aggressive manor (surprisingly, I find an even larger number of these people when pedaling my Trek, but that is another story). While this ranges from mildly annoying to life threatening, it does not p$ss me off nearly as much as the people riding motorcycles who do things like wheelies on the freeway, or use stopped traffic a their own little slalom course, or treat the slightest bit of open road as a chance to crack 100 mph (and there are a LOT of people out there like this). These people fuel other's dislike of motorcycles, and make life difficult for responsible riders. Don't know which group these guys fell in to, but regardless I wish him the best.

Dude was thrown 100 feet from his bike. I'm going to believe the witnesses in this case.

Motorcycles are cool but they certainly raise the level of danger to all motorists.

Depending on where it occurred, I could see a guy going 55-60 mph being launched 100 feet with ease (since this is a football site, think of it in terms of ~30 yards).

you dont have to be flying to get thrown 100 feet...speeding doesnt always mean 100 mph either, as someone else mentioned, everything seems faster on a bike

i am not making excuses for them, just stating some facts

this same exact thing happened to my brother, he was considered speeding traveling 40 in a 25 when a woman made an illegal left turn cutting in front of him causing him to hit the front side of her car and flying through the air roughly 100 feet

they told my mom he wouldnt make it through the night, then he wasnt supposed to be able to walk again but he is doing both 24 years later...they put rods in his back on either side of his spine and he spent 6-8 months in bed

...i'm not saying all people that have motorcycles don't speed but there is no way to know exactly how fast he was going unless his speedometer was frozen upon the impact

Yes there is. It's called crash reconstruction. Police do it all the time with serious crashes, and involves relatively basic physics.

Yes there is. It's called crash reconstruction. Police do it all the time with serious crashes, and involves relatively basic physics.

Nothing about physics is basic to me. But yes, they should be able to calculate his speed with a very reasonable amount of certainty.

Whatever it was, it was too damn fast to be riding past entrances to the road he was on. I don't believe for a minute you get launched 100ft from your bike doing 35mph. Not when there is likely contact with the bike and/or car in the process, slowing you down further.

My motorcycle is my daily commuter. And I not only expect everyone else to do the stupidest thing possible, I am constantly calculating my escape scenarios for when they do. If you don't do this when you ride, start. And if you don't know how, please google and find resources to explain it.

Always sad to hear someone got in an accident - both sides could have taken steps to prevent it.

... it does not p$ss me off nearly as much as the people riding motorcycles who do things like wheelies on the freeway, or use stopped traffic a their own little slalom course, ...

On the highway one day I was behind a Harley rider. As a group of crotch rockets passed him, each one had to pop a wheelie. I could see him shaking his head at their antics.

When in stopped traffic in NYC, I've seen plenty of the slalom riders, I'm always tempted to slap the side of their helemt as they go past my window.

I've seen my buddy fly about 100-150 feet through the air when he hit a car almost head on at about 40-50mph on a street bike. He luckily landed in a grassy field and only sprained his ankle, but was kept in the hospital overnight for observation.

An article from this past weeks local newspaper.....

Motorcyclist ejected after crash, lands in car's back seat

you dont have to be flying to get thrown 100 feet...speeding doesnt always mean 100 mph either, as someone else mentioned, everything seems faster on a bike

i am not making excuses for them, just stating some facts

this same exact thing happened to my brother, he was considered speeding traveling 40 in a 25 when a woman made an illegal left turn cutting in front of him causing him to hit the front side of her car and flying through the air roughly 100 feet

they told my mom he wouldnt make it through the night, then he wasnt supposed to be able to walk again but he is doing both 24 years later...they put rods in his back on either side of his spine and he spent 6-8 months in bed

Wow.... amazing (and good) that your brother came through that. Let's hope the same happens again.

On the highway one day I was behind a Harley rider. As a group of crotch rockets passed him, each one had to pop a wheelie. I could see him shaking his head at their antics.

this is actually a very very typical situation. I see on I-95 everyday groups of crotch rockets weaving through traffic. And I know for a fact they are speeding (as opposed to just appearing to be going fast) because I'm going 80 and they are passing me. I even witnessed a motorcycle accident on 95. Of course, group of CRs were racing through cars. On just tapped a car and he went skidding. By the time he stopped doing cartwheels, all his clothes had been stripped off and he was a bloody pile of meat on the ground. Couldn't even tell if he was human.

That said, my father owns a Harley and I respect that. However, it is a donorcycle still. It doesn't matter how fast you are driving or who made the stupid mistake as one minor false move can be your life. That's not as true driving a car.

There are 2 sides to this argument. Having owned a motorcycle myself, I can say that there are an unfortunate number of people who do not know how to react to them while driving their own vehicle; from tailgating, to not checking blindspots or blindly pulling out of driveways, to not liking motorcycles on the road and intentionally dealing with them in an aggressive manor (surprisingly, I find an even larger number of these people when pedaling my Trek, but that is another story). While this ranges from mildly annoying to life threatening, it does not p$ss me off nearly as much as the people riding motorcycles who do things like wheelies on the freeway, or use stopped traffic a their own little slalom course, or treat the slightest bit of open road as a chance to crack 100 mph (and there are a LOT of people out there like this). These people fuel other's dislike of motorcycles, and make life difficult for responsible riders. Don't know which group these guys fell in to, but regardless I wish him the best.

This is a great post. I'm glad it was made by somebody with experience.