Congratulations Dallas/Ft. Worth Burger Lovers

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was an article a couple months ago in our local paper how the ambulance company had to buy bigger gurneys, back board, even a bigger ambulance just for the larger patients they get calls for.

Beds were smaller back in the 1800's too. Poor Abe Lincoln had to sleep sideways. Betch they thought the world was going to hell in a hand basket also...

:angry:

Yeah, it's a mess down there alright.

As much as we all love bickering over politics, the biggest problem currently facing the nation is the fact that we're eating ourselves to death. America's obesity "epidemic" is pathetic and sad. We're becoming a nation of 300 pound waddling penguins, and despite vast improvement in life-saving medicine, this generation of children is the first in America to have a lower life expectancy than their parents. Joints like In N Out Burger and Five Guys only compound the problem (not that it's their fault that we can't use moderation, but it still compounds the problem).

I think it's far from the biggest problem - but point taken.

For countless years, there have been newspaper articles about school menu offerings - what to do, oh my! The solution is simple to anyone with an ounce of brains. Next week - no more corn dogs, no pizza, no fries etc. If you don't want to eat what we have now, kiddo - go hungry then and go pester your parents. God forbid that they or you slap together a P&J and toss it and an apple or banana in a paper sack. What agony...

I lived in another county here in SW Ohio during my 1st 8 years here. The school system in the town I lived in called me several times, asking me to enroll my kids in their school lunch program. I have no kids. And eventually learned that they reaped something on the order of 35 cents profit per kid per meal. Their concern wasn't about nutrition - it was about getting their hands on money. Hawking burgers, fries, pizza to kids is a sure-fire way to keep the cash register ringing...

Every Administration gins up some cause for the First Lady to champion. The current one's task is nutrition (IIRC, with a billion-dollar war chest - nothing surprises me these days). Now, the nutrition value labels on food packages have been there for years and years. Almost everybody reads them (or read them and ignores them). We are not a nation of dummies - we simply make choices. I can't see tossing money down another useless "education" campaign.

We grocery shop on Sunday - almost always at the mid-western chain, Meijer's. I always see clean, non-smelly people, by all appearance lucid, pushing carts stacked with all types of nutritional disasters. The government is wasting tax revenue trying to convince them otherwise. Heck - the Food Stamp program ( I believe it sports a new name now - SNAP) lets one purchase all kinds of fun food. Some wag wrote a letter to the editor here a long while back, suggesting they change the name of the program to "Chips Ahoy!" or "Frito Bandito." :thumbsup:

Our n'paper occasionally prints sob story articles about the lack of gym time in today's schools - can't afford it blah blah blah. The dear ones aren't getting their exercise etc. I attended Bflo. city grade school. Kindergarten and 5th through 8th at one building, 1st through 4th at another. The place where I attended 1st-4th had no gymnasium. Undeterred, they herded our little rum butts out to the asphalt play yard and made us run, jog, skip along the fence lines. The cost was...zero.

I really don't consider 5 Guys a "fast food" joint, as there is no drive-thru and you have to actually go in and wait for your burger to be cooked fresh. Of course, that makes the burger very good, but it's a different experience than In-N-Out, IMO.

Both have good burgers and great fries, of course.

While I don't eat much "fast food", I would probably get more use out of an In-N-Out than I do 5 Guys, if I had one close. I don't know if they still do it, but In-N-Out used to put your take out food in a nice box/tray. That made eating it in the car much easier. 5 Guys just puts everything in a bag and I get grease all over everything.

If I'm going to park, go in and sit at a table while I wait for my food. I prefer to go to a place where I can get an adult beverage. I hear there are some 5 Guys that serve alcohol, but not the one down here. I know of some places with good burgers and fresh fries AND I can get a drink or a beer. That's my preference.

I agree 5 Guys isn't traditional fast food because they cook it (for the first time) right in front of you. But you can call ahead with your order and they'll have it ready for you when you walk in. A drive-thru would be nice, but impractical for them.

I agree 5 Guys isn't traditional fast food because they cook it (for the first time) right in front of you. But you can call ahead with your order and they'll have it ready for you when you walk in. A drive-thru would be nice, but impractical for them.

I think In-N-Out also cooks the burgers fresh to your order (they used to anyway, I think), but the process is quicker than at 5 Guys...usually. I have waited quite a while in an In-N-Out drive thru more than once, though.

Not a fan of the Five Guys, but love In and Out. I am down to maybe one fast food meal, if that, a month now, and it shows in my waistline. But damn, when out in CA, love me some In-n-Out. Last time there was telling my buddy they do not have fryers in the back, they have printing presses turning out dollar bills..I swear I have never seen an in n out not busy.

BTW, not fast food but I love Cheeburger Cheeburger as well. Best Onion Rings EVER!!!

Not a fan of the Five Guys, but love In and Out. I am down to maybe one fast food meal, if that, a month now, and it shows in my waistline. But damn, when out in CA, love me some In-n-Out. Last time there was telling my buddy they do not have fryers in the back, they have printing presses turning out dollar bills..I swear I have never seen an in n out not busy.

BTW, not fast food but I love Cheeburger Cheeburger as well. Best Onion Rings EVER!!!

I do fast food maybe four or five times a year. I love it but I know how bad it is for you so I just avoid it. However I don't often hit In-N-Out because my fast food visits are spur of the moment thing and seeing there are McDonalds or Burger Kings on every corner I usually go there. I need to plan my fast food intake better to hit In-N-Out because they are the best.

I do fast food maybe four or five times a year. I love it but I know how bad it is for you so I just avoid it. However I don't often hit In-N-Out because my fast food visits are spur of the moment thing and seeing there are McDonalds or Burger Kings on every corner I usually go there. I need to plan my fast food intake better to hit In-N-Out because they are the best.

It's tough in SF (or at least it was) to hit an In-N-Out unless you plan a little. As you note, they are not ubiquitous. There is one near Fisherman's Wharf, I think. I think I went there once or twice.

It's tough in SF (or at least it was) to hit an In-N-Out unless you plan a little. As you note, they are not ubiquitous. There is one near Fisherman's Wharf, I think. I think I went there once or twice.

I work in San Mateo so there's probably one down here. Not knowing is probably best. I've recently lost about 20lbs and have no desire to start packing it on again. I haven't been this thin in a long time.

There's a chain called "Five Guys Burgers and Fries" in the Northeast (it started in DC) that make the best burgers, on a grill right in front of you. Best fast food burgers hands down.

We have them in Texas. Not so great, TBH.

Five Guys was basically started to be the In and Out of the east coast. I've had both and give the edge to In and Out, but both are good.

+1

I've eaten at the original Five Guys ... they have barrels of peanuts to snack on while you wait for your order.

I work in San Mateo so there's probably one down here. Not knowing is probably best. I've recently lost about 20lbs and have no desire to start packing it on again. I haven't been this thin in a long time.

Congrats on the 20 lbs Chef ... I dropped 45 this winter, and am in the same boat, though I did have a double Five Guys with bacon last weekend and no permanant damage

I think In-N-Out also cooks the burgers fresh to your order (they used to anyway, I think), but the process is quicker than at 5 Guys...usually. I have waited quite a while in an In-N-Out drive thru more than once, though.

Yeah, they've pretty much abandoned the speaker/mic outside and have people out there taking your order while you're in line. Speeds things up pretty well, but you're still waiting longer than your usual fast-food joint.

Yeah, they've pretty much abandoned the speaker/mic outside and have people out there taking your order while you're in line. Speeds things up pretty well, but you're still waiting longer than your usual fast-food joint.

Which is a good sign.

Me too AND that is the reason I'm glad the new in-n-out is in Garland ( 45 minutes away ) and NOT in Arlington!!