How has the Oil Spill affected your life?

The oil spill has caused me pain, suffering, and anguish. It may possibly affect my financial situation in the form of higher gas prices and higher seafood prices.

Anyone know a good lawyer? :rolleyes:

I showed how it can lower seafood prices. :wallbash: You are gonna need a good lawyer, you have one less thing to B word about!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...but since you were able to realize this "disaster" will probably affect very few people (okay...almost no one), why would you stop supporting BP because they had to endure a "clusterf***"?

If someone spills a pallet in the back of a Wegman's warehouse, are you going to stop shopping there? Two mistakes that will never affect you. Also, trying to reason things through, and not panic should never be classified as "blithely turning a blind eye".

Exactly. Now if he could actually help BP fix the situation and BP told him to get !@#$ed, then I could see his point. Who are we to judge it a cluster!@#$ when we don't really know anything about the problem. Because they can't stop the leak a mile under the sea... Hey if anybody knows better, why don't we send them in to plug the damn thing! Everybody is an expert... Ya, expert at judging... :rolleyes:

...but since you were able to realize this "disaster" will probably affect very few people (okay...almost no one), why would you stop supporting BP because they had to endure a "clusterf***"?

If someone spills a pallet in the back of a Wegman's warehouse, are you going to stop shopping there? Two mistakes that will never affect you. Also, trying to reason things through, and not panic should never be classified as "blithely turning a blind eye".

How is this "reasonable"? Because "almost no one" is part of a whole ecosystem that hasn't even begun to truly feel the effects of this yet. Hang out in the marshes in Louisiana.

"This oil has travelled 110 miles to land on our coast and we are very concerned that this is just the beginning," [Gov. Bobby Jindal] said, fearing it could be too late to save 60,000 jobs in Louisiana's three-billion-dollar fishing industry.

"Louisiana produces nearly one-third of the seafood for the continental US and 70 percent of the seafood production in the Gulf of Mexico comes from Louisiana fishers, shrimpers and oyster harvesters," he said.

"This is why we have repeatedly said that this spill fundamentally threatens Louisiana's way of life. The oil is here, but we are still waiting on the US Army Corps of Engineers to approve our sand boom plan to help keep oil out of our marshes and off of our shores."

It is not just Louisiana that fears the worst from the giant slick. Neighboring Alabama and Mississippi have already been affected and Florida's tourist beaches and coral reefs could be next.

Florida tourism, coral reefs, seafood industries, and to say nothing of the people who live in the areas subject to damage and contamination... Yeah, this isn't going to affect anybody.

I tell you what, since oil leaks are all fine and dandy, I dare you to go spread some Pennzoil on your lawn. It probably won't hurt your neighbors anyway.

How is this "reasonable"? Because "almost no one" is part of a whole ecosystem that hasn't even begun to truly feel the effects of this yet. Hang out in the marshes in Louisiana.

Florida tourism, coral reefs, seafood industries, and to say nothing of the people who live in the areas subject to damage and contamination... Yeah, this isn't going to affect anybody.

I tell you what, since oil leaks are all fine and dandy, I dare you to go spread some Pennzoil on your lawn. It probably won't hurt your neighbors anyway.

1st of all, 60,000 job loss my ass.

2nd of all, the oil is coming from...the earth.

3rd of all, all of your arguments come with the conditional of actually believing everything you're told:

"Louisiana produces nearly one-third of the seafood for the continental US" - FACT

"this spill fundamentally threatens Louisiana's way of life" - LIE (absolutely no truth or proof to this)

"Florida's tourist beaches and coral reefs could be next." -LIE (worst of all, just by saying that ridiculous statement, this reporter has you telling people its true)

I HIGHLY doubt that florida tourism will suffer in the long run. I HIGHLY doubt that this "disaster" will cause "contamination" from a natural f***ing resource. I'm not saying this wont cause some initial harm to the environment, but everything will adapt soon enough. The earth will fix itself, because in the end its all natural. Tossing around words like "ecosystem" make it seem like there will be a legitimate disruption in the way of life, when in reality, none of us will ever be affected by this. Ever.

What do you expect them to do? They are doing everything in the power to stop it. Unless you got any great ideas. It was an accident. You think BP wanted this? No the leak is not fine and dandy. What should they do besides: "Just stop it." ??

So what do you think we should do in the future about driling for oil? Let somebody else do it for us. Don't give me no pie-in-the sky crap like eliminate all oil use... :rolleyes::wallbash:

A lot of people's reaction is like the guy who screams: "shoot!" at a hockey game. I know there have been a lot of mistakes man... I am not letting BP off the hook... But come on!

3rd of all, all of your arguments come with the conditional of actually believing everything you're told:

"Louisiana produces nearly one-third of the seafood for the continental US" - FACT

"this spill fundamentally threatens Louisiana's way of life" - LIE (absolutely no truth or proof to this)

"Florida's tourist beaches and coral reefs could be next." -LIE (worst of all, just by saying that ridiculous statement, this reporter has you telling people its true)

I HIGHLY doubt that florida tourism will suffer in the long run. I HIGHLY doubt that this "disaster" will cause "contamination" from a natural f***ing resource. I'm not saying this wont cause some initial harm to the environment, but everything will adapt soon enough. The earth will fix itself, because in the end its all natural. Tossing around words like "ecosystem" make it seem like there will be a legitimate disruption in the way of life, when in reality, none of us will ever be affected by this. Ever.

Exactly. They said about the 1979 Ixtoc oil spill... Dig in any beach in the area (Bay of Campeche and up) you will find Ixtoc oil.

The leak hasn't even been stopped yet. Let us hope they manage to do so today. It isn't even just the oil, as the dispersant seems to create these underwater plumes, comprised of droplets of oil, dispersant, and water of course. These are swirling around in the water and probably killing tons of fish. That isn't a good thing when people say the fish population is already declining. Much worse than that, your natural resource possibly just made it into our food supply in concentrated amounts.

It has already hurt Florida tourism. It has already hurt Louisiana fishing. How many businesses were teetering on the edge? How many will fail soon? What are the long term repercussions of that?

So what do you think we should do in the future about driling for oil? Let somebody else do it for us. Don't give me no pie-in-the sky crap like eliminate all oil use... :rolleyes::wallbash:

Ok, I would suggest we reduce oil use though. Certainly there is just tons and tons of room for us to use cleaner sources of energy (wind/solar .. possibly nuclear) in many areas of our economy. I know the switch over would be super expensive up front (which is why it's not been done yet). I'm not saying "eliminate all oil use" so please don't strawman me, but I am saying reduce oil use to some degree.

and ... murra .. you are just crazy man. Just crazy.

This is simple BP, Halliburton, and Transocean have to pay for the clean up and have to make people whole- how much will that be? no one knows it depends on so many factors. We shouldn't let them hide behind each other, they each pay a third and if they think that is too much let them sue each other for the difference- as for being an accident yes it is, in the same way a drunk driver hitting somebody is an accident, it's an accident they are totally responsible for- I'm a realist and I know we have to drill oil and mine coal but I also know we can't have one group making the profits when things are going good and another group getting the S**t when things go wrong. I know that businesses have to follow safety regulations and if they can't do that and make a reasonable profit then they have to raises their prices or go out of business.

It's hard to imagine that the oil spill can make business much worse than it already is in Florida, which was at 12% unemployment for April 2010. Only 4 states (Cal, Mich, Nevada, Rhode Island) had higher unemployment rates.

My wife has been out of work for 2 YEARS. And it's not like she has some highly specialized, fringe skill....she's a full charge book keeper. She has applied for hundreds of jobs. Employers can snatch up an unemployed CPA at well below a book keeper's salary.

So the oil spill is a giant nothing in terms of impacting southeast Florida.

Gues what: The Holocaust would have had little effect on my life as an American either but that doesn't mean I don't condemn it and believe it was good to intervene. The Haiti mess didn't affect me but I gave money because it was right. 9-11 didn't affect me besides a blip in my 401K and yet I took action. On a smaller scale, reusable plastic bottles are not great for the environment so I try not to use them.

This may not end up with long term consequences (Seems doubtful) but you know what: If you pollute 5000 gallons a day into the ocean for a month because you obviously had ****ty safety systems or people overlooked them, you won't get my support. You think that's wrong? So be it.

The world is bigger than that which bumps into your day-to-day life.

Here is a good reason to trust British Petroleum.

Link

The Daily Beast's Rick Outzen has uncovered an internal BP document illustrating how the company demonstrated the money-saving benefits of housing employees in trailers that could go up in flames during an explosion rather than house them in more expensive, blast-resistant structures.

The leak hasn't even been stopped yet. Let us hope they manage to do so today. It isn't even just the oil, as the dispersant seems to create these underwater plumes, comprised of droplets of oil, dispersant, and water of course. These are swirling around in the water and probably killing tons of fish. That isn't a good thing when people say the fish population is already declining. Much worse than that, your natural resource possibly just made it into our food supply in concentrated amounts.

It has already hurt Florida tourism. It has already hurt Louisiana fishing. How many businesses were teetering on the edge? How many will fail soon? What are the long term repercussions of that?

But short-term, it's helping out quite a bit of the LA boating industry - a huge chunk of the money BP is spending on the leak is going to boat-owners, marina owners, and the like who are supporting the effort. Long-term...different story, I'm sure.

And as for the tourism industry...sooner or later, some halfwit greenie is going to start running "See how corporations !@#$ up the planet?" eco-tours in the marshes, just so people can gawk at the oil.

Ok, I would suggest we reduce oil use though. Certainly there is just tons and tons of room for us to use cleaner sources of energy (wind/solar .. possibly nuclear) in many areas of our economy. I know the switch over would be super expensive up front (which is why it's not been done yet). I'm not saying "eliminate all oil use" so please don't strawman me, but I am saying reduce oil use to some degree.

It's going to take a while, the entire auto, energy delivery infrastructure will have to retool, and this will take some time. It's a matter of having a solid detailed plan and phasing it in without disrupting the country economically.

It's going to take a while, the entire auto, energy delivery infrastructure will have to retool, and this will take some time. It's a matter of having a solid detailed plan and phasing it in without disrupting the country economically.

Bah. Plans are just a tool evil corporations use to oppress the masses.