How has the Oil Spill affected your life?

I have said it before, I will say it again. BP considers America a colony, to be exploited what ever the cost to the natives. 15 years in Alaska, I know a little how they work.

Seems so, another article. If true, and you add in them skimping on a 500k fail safe...

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you expect them to do? They are doing everything in the power to stop it. Unless you got any great ideas. It was an accident. You think BP wanted this? No the leak is not fine and dandy. What should they do besides: "Just stop it." ??

So what do you think we should do in the future about driling for oil? Let somebody else do it for us. Don't give me no pie-in-the sky crap like eliminate all oil use... :wallbash::lol:

A lot of people's reaction is like the guy who screams: "shoot!" at a hockey game. I know there have been a lot of mistakes man... I am not letting BP off the hook... But come on!

My argument is not with BP. And thanks for hanging on me the notion that I think we should let someone else do oil drilling for us, even though I said jack sh-- about that. The idiots in the Senate talking about how we should never drill again until we can make sure that an accident of this magnitude can never happen again are just that, idiots. So are the far-left environmentalists who can't see that we need something to keep our economy running until we can shift to other resources. So are the far-rightists who equate any green energy innovation with hippies who bathe in granola. Send 'em all to the middle of the slick and see if they can souse it up, for all I'm concerned.

My problem is with anyone self-centered and short-sighted enough to say this isn't a big deal because "it doesn't affect us."

Everything we do to the planet affects someone. It's just that the scale is, for the most part, far too big and the change far too incremental to generally comprehend. A nuclear accident in WNY might not affect other regions in a direct and easily understandable way, even if it would have the magic proximity effect to fall in the "bad" zone of the Murra-meter. Does that mean it's not bad and that we shouldn't do everything in our power to prevent it in the future?

Tell me why anyone would just be hanging out with their friends in a damn marsh. :nana:

To see the forest for the :rolleyes: trees. Plus I hear they have good beer there.

I'm still confused as to how this can be compared to the holocaust.

Way to avoid responding. Did the Haiti quake affect you? No? Then I assume you didn't care.

Do you regularly walk past litter because it's the next guy's problem? Do you throw out all plastic because "who cares" about recycling?

Do you walk by a neighbor's car when his lights are on and laugh because it's not yours?

Be it little or big, things outside your small sphere of life do matter.

Way to avoid responding. Did the Haiti quake affect you? No? Then I assume you didn't care.

People died in the Haiti Quake, no one has died because of the oil in the ocean.

Do you regularly walk past litter because it's the next guy's problem? Do you throw out all plastic because "who cares" about recycling?

I do both, yes. I don't see how that analogy is applicable, except that it affirms I haven't bought into the environmental crisis.

Do you walk by a neighbor's car when his lights are on and laugh because it's not yours?

No, I always tell them their lights are on... I have no idea how this applies...

I want the spill clogged, and from that point on, I legitimately could care less what happens.

I'm not denying a couple ocean creatures could die here, don't get me wrong, its just I'm kind of about the human race here, and I'm very confident in the long run of earth's history and humanity this isn't classified as a setback, and we'll see basically no effect.

Be it little or big, things outside your small sphere of life do matter.

Then why aren't we doing more to curb what is going on in places like China and Brazil? Some people want to be so selective.

Of course we care.

Edit: This has nothing to do with what I said in the other thread... About the numbers and so-called warming. This has to do with direct polluting.

Then why aren't we doing more to curb what is going on in places like China and Brazil? Some people want to be so selective.

Of course we care.

Edit: This has nothing to do with what I said in the other thread... About the numbers and so-called warming. This has to do with direct polluting.

"We" don't own China and Brazil at last check. This spill however, is our mess.

Murra says this is no big deal and we have nothing to be upset about. Glad he can be so flip about this. I am sure BP feels the same.

I do both, yes. I don't see how that analogy is applicable, except that it affirms I haven't bought into the environmental crisis.

I'm kind of about the human race here, and I'm very confident in the long run of earth's history and humanity this isn't classified as a setback, and we'll see basically no effect.

If you're "about the human race," you might consider that plastics and the petroleum they come from are finite resources. Humans in the future will need to figure this out a lot sooner for our mismanagement of them.

You also might consider that all of the chemicals that go into the making of plastics and products derived from petrol, despite the fact that some are "from the earth," are not all that good for the human race (see PCBs etc).

A true conservative (and I don't know whether you call yourself one or not) knows not to waste the precious things he has, and not to take more than he needs. I don't know why there's a disconnect between this approach to government wastefulness and individual human wastefulness, other than to say that those ideals have been corrupted in the political mainstream to fit the narrative of single-minded profitability. Environmentalism doesn't need to be about crisis or about tree huggers, but about protecting the valuable things we have so that our (human) sons and daughters can enjoy and use them. I don't expect you to get that, though.

"We" don't own China and Brazil at last check. This spill however, is our mess.

Murra says this is no big deal and we have nothing to be upset about. Glad he can be so flip about this. I am sure BP feels the same.

What are we going to be upset about... Sure the leak... But how is that going to get it fixed. I am sure BP didn't want this. What becomes of it and how we react to future drilling is the most important thing. True we don't control China or Brazil... Yet, if our reaction pushes more stuff there... Then that is a big problem!

Again... Sure we can be up... But hell don't let it influence are policy. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT. It might not be the oil in the Gulf that the planet worries about!

Again... Sure we can be up... But hell don't let it influence are policy. IT WAS AN ACCIDENT. It might not be the oil in the Gulf that the planet worries about!

MAybe it was an accident. Seems like there's mounting evidence on many fronts that BP was careless in its safety measures. And certainly it had ZERO plan in pace in the event that this happened, as the last month has shown.

Again, I believe in blame when something preventable happens. I blame BP in this case, knowing full well that it could have been Exxon, Citgo, etc. It's not like there was an earthquake and this happened. This appears to have been preventable and the closure could have been better thought out so that we're not trying to stop a massive ecological mess by drawing ideas up on the backs of napkins.

You also might consider that all of the chemicals that go into the making of plastics and products derived from petrol, despite the fact that some are "from the earth," are not all that good for the human race (see PCBs etc).

How can I take the rest of what you typed seriously when you just tried to say this to me?

How can I take the rest of what you typed seriously when you just tried to say this to me?

!@#$ it, you're right. Humans rule, earth drools, and anyone who says there's a connection between the life of one and the other is an idiot. You win. Have a nice gulf coast seafood victory dinner on me.

!@#$ it, you're right. Humans rule, earth drools, and anyone who says there's a connection between the life of one and the other is an idiot. You win. Have a nice gulf coast seafood victory dinner on me.

I wouldn't sweat it. Murra doesn't strike me as a real poster.

Actually, I don't think the earth cares about us one way or the other. On a planetary scale, we're just fleas. The Gulf oil spill isn't destroying "the planet"...just our own ecosystem. On a planetary scale, it's not an issue.

Actually, I don't think the earth cares about us one way or the other. On a planetary scale, we're just fleas. The Gulf oil spill isn't destroying "the planet"...just our own ecosystem. On a planetary scale, it's not an issue.

Hey, there is an upside! :angry:

Might as well post this here.

Scientists: Gulf oil spill surpasses Exxon Valdez

COVINGTON, La. – The Gulf oil spill has surpassed the Exxon Valdez as the worst in U.S. history, according to new estimates released Thursday, but the Coast Guard and BP said an untested procedure to stop it seemed to be working.

A team of scientists trying to figure out how much oil has been flowing since the offshore rig Deepwater Horizon exploded April 20 and sank two days later found the rate was at least twice and possibly up to five times as high as previously thought.

Even using the most conservative estimate, that means the leak has grown to nearly 19 million gallons, surpassing the size of the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster, which at about 11 million gallons had been the nation's worst spill. Under the highest estimate, nearly 39 million gallons may have spilled.

But the good news is all that oil and dispersant mixed together came from the Earth.