Favorite horror film?

Funny Games

It's not old, but hey why can't a more recent movie be an instant classic?

This post reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. I scratch my head at some of the movies they show on AMC. Don't they know the C stands for Classics? :lol:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While the Shining is still on the top of my list, i will have to add the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

1,2 Freddy's comin fro you.

3,4 Better lock you door.

5,6 Get your crucifix.

7,8 Better stay up late.

9,10 Never sleep again.

This post reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. I scratch my head at some of the movies they show on AMC. Don't they know the C stands for Classics? :rolleyes:

AMC has been useless to me ever since they began to air commercials. It was fun back in the day to be able to watch the old horror films and movies like Spartacus (widescreen) uninterrupted on that channel.

AMC has been useless to me ever since they began to air commercials. It was fun back in the day to be able to watch the old horror films and movies like Spartacus (widescreen) uninterrupted on that channel.

Is Turner Movie Classics still good? We don't get it anymore.

BTW recently my wife got a bunch of Hammer Films movies. Man were those so bad they were excellent. Made me feel like I was 10 again sitting home on a rainy Saturday afternoon watching vampires get steaks drilled through their chests. :rolleyes:

Is Turner Movie Classics still good? We don't get it anymore.

BTW recently my wife got a bunch of Hammer Films movies. Man were those so bad they were excellent. Made me feel like I was 10 again sitting home on a rainy Saturday afternoon watching vampires get steaks drilled through their chests. :rolleyes:

TCM is awesome! Still commercial free and usually pretty reliable for a decent film at any time day or night

This post reminds me of a pet peeve of mine. I scratch my head at some of the movies they show on AMC. Don't they know the C stands for Classics? :rolleyes:

How far back would you go to consider something a classic? But yeah, they show some absolute crap on AMC.

How far back would you go to consider something a classic? But yeah, they show some absolute crap on AMC.

It seems like everytime I turn on AMC it's either: Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, or Twelve Monkeys.

Good flicks, but after you've seen em a few times each it gets annoying.

It seems like everytime I turn on AMC it's either: Goodfellas, Pulp Fiction, or Twelve Monkeys.

Good flicks, but after you've seen em a few times each it gets annoying.

I've flipped through that station in the past when Catwoman was airing. Consider yourself lucky.

At least ten years. But there are movies that could be considered instant classics (I can't believe I just said that) but what airs in AMC is oftentimes anything but classic.

At least ten years. But there are movies that could be considered instant classics (I can't believe I just said that) but what airs in AMC is oftentimes anything but classic.

You are right about AMC. TCM has the real goods these days.

BTW, PBS has started a new "Miss Marple" series as of last week. Jane Hixon returns - Geraldine McEwan did a fine job in her portrayal in the past few series. Every now and then, TCM shows one of the old b&w movies starring Margaret Rutherford.

While the Shining is still on the top of my list, i will have to add the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

1,2 Freddy's comin fro you.

3,4 Better lock you door.

5,6 Get your crucifix.

7,8 Better stay up late.

9,10 Never sleep again.

Unfortunately, the original does not hold up. I watched part of it recently. The special effects are so bad by today's standard, it is almost a lol comedy.

Unfortunately, the original does not hold up. I watched part of it recently. The special effects are so bad by today's standard, it is almost a lol comedy.

Most older horror movies are, compared to the now a days "stuff" I think thats the problem now a days, horror movies are more for effects and not scare the pants off you.

You have to admit, seing those movies as a kid, The Shining, The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween. You never slept well after.(I know i slept with 1 eye open a coupld of times) Now go back and watch them, you basically laugh at how bad effects, methods to scare you are.

I was reading H. P. Lovecraft's Call of Cthulhu last night. I prefer reading to the movies because it holds up real well. A passage of what I read last night:

The region now entered by the police was one of traditionally evil repute, substantially unknown and untraversed by white men. There were legends of a hidden lake unglimpsed by mortal sight, in which dwelt a huge, formless white polypous thing with luminous eyes; and squatters whispered that bat-winged devils flew up out of caverns in inner earth to worship it at midnight. They said it had been there before d'Iberville, before La Salle, before the Indians, and before even the wholesome beasts and birds of the woods. It was nightmare itself, and to see it was to die. But it made men dream, and so they knew enough to keep away. The present voodoo orgy was, indeed, on the merest fringe of this abhorred area, but that location was bad enough; hence perhaps the very place of the worship had terrified the squatters more than the shocking sounds and incidents.

Only poetry or madness could do justice to the noises heard by Legrasse's men as they ploughed on through the black morass toward the red glare and muffled tom-toms. There are vocal qualities peculiar to men, and vocal qualities peculiar to beasts; and it is terrible to hear the one when the source should yield the other. Animal fury and orgiastic license here whipped themselves to daemoniac heights by howls and squawking ecstacies that tore and reverberated through those nighted woods like pestilential tempests from the gulfs of hell. Now and then the less organized ululation would cease, and from what seemed a well-drilled chorus of hoarse voices would rise in sing-song chant that hideous phrase or ritual:

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."

Then the men, having reached a spot where the trees were thinner, came suddenly in sight of the spectacle itself. Four of them reeled, one fainted, and two were shaken into a frantic cry which the mad cacophony of the orgy fortunately deadened. Legrasse dashed swamp water on the face of the fainting man, and all stood trembling and nearly hypnotised with horror.

In a natural glade of the swamp stood a grassy island of perhaps an acre's extent, clear of trees and tolerably dry. On this now leaped and twisted a more indescribable horde of human abnormality than any but a Sime or an Angarola could paint. Void of clothing, this hybrid spawn were braying, bellowing, and writhing about a monstrous ring-shaped bonfire; in the centre of which, revealed by occasional rifts in the curtain of flame, stood a great granite monolith some eight feet in height; on top of which, incongruous in its diminutiveness, rested the noxious carven statuette. From a wide circle of ten scaffolds set up at regular intervals with the flame-girt monolith as a centre hung, head downward, the oddly marred bodies of the helpless squatters who had disappeared. It was inside this circle that the ring of worshippers jumped and roared, the general direction of the mass motion being from left to right in endless Bacchanal between the ring of bodies and the ring of fire.

It may have been only imagination and it may have been only echoes which induced one of the men, an excitable Spaniard, to fancy he heard antiphonal responses to the ritual from some far and unillumined spot deeper within the wood of ancient legendry and horror. This man, Joseph D. Galvez, I later met and questioned; and he proved distractingly imaginative. He indeed went so far as to hint of the faint beating of great wings, and of a glimpse of shining eyes and a mountainous white bulk beyond the remotest trees but I suppose he had been hearing too much native superstition.

Most older horror movies are, compared to the now a days "stuff" I think thats the problem now a days, horror movies are more for effects and not scare the pants off you.

You have to admit, seing those movies as a kid, The Shining, The Exorcist, Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween. You never slept well after.(I know i slept with 1 eye open a coupld of times) Now go back and watch them, you basically laugh at how bad effects, methods to scare you are.

This is why i think the original Texas Chainsaw holds up. Very little gore or effects (i don't think there is any actual bloodletting in the film), just some really bad situations and your imagination running wild...

"Jaws"...not classic enough for ya?

"Black Sabbath" gets my next vote!

What makes "Jaws" so amazing, not only is it scary as ****, it is an excellent movie as well...one of my favorite movies, any genre.

Jaws was a excellent movie all right. It kind of set the bar for monster movies. I never realized how good it was till I saw Jurassic park. Large Creatures with big teeth do not make a good movie. You still need characters and a plot.

Jaws was a excellent movie all right. It kind of set the bar for monster movies. I never realized how good it was till I saw Jurassic park. Large Creatures with big teeth do not make a good movie. You still need characters and a plot.

My wife and I walked out after Jurassic Park and looked at each other and said WTF...that was a horrible movie.

My wife and I walked out after Jurassic Park and looked at each other and said WTF...that was a horrible movie.

I saw it on tv - getting tired of watching Dern's non-stop open-mouth gape, I switched channels. It was a real "eye roller" - and that's being kind.

• 3 weeks later...

I forgot about this one. Motel Hell.

Any movie where the plot is slitting people's throat so the can't scream and burying them in the garden up to their necks in order to age them to make tasty sausages. That's just good stuff. :rolleyes:

BTW Jimmy Dean's death thread reminded me of this classic.