"Chopping down JJ's coaching tree"

BADOLBILZ

To add insult to injury, Dave Campo, Cowboys head coach for 3 (maybe 4 years) in Dallas, was passed over as the interim coach in Clevland, for Terry Robiske. Robiskie only HC experience was as an interim HC for, appropriately enough, Norv Turner in Washington.

I would never say JJ was a lousy coach, but I also think he is an overrated coach. He had a roster stuffed with talent, size, and speed. He deserves some credit for that. But, he also benefited heavily from an insane trade with the Vikings (in the Cowboys favor). Being down here in Cowboy country, I think people don't give Jerry Jones enough credit for that era of Cowboys football, and give Jimmy too much. Most of the credit belongs to Aikman, Emmitt, Irving, and one of the most dominant O-lines in NFL history. Hell, even Barry friggin' Switzer couldn't help but win a Super Bowl with essentially the same talent.

When judging Jimmy Johnson, you have to credit him for his success with the Cowboys, but also give him a fair amount of blame for the lousy condition he left the Dolphins franchise in... not that I mind. I would be shocked if JJ doesn't try to make a comeback at some point. He has a huge ego.... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Dallas Cowboys!

To add insult to injury, Dave Campo, Cowboys head coach for 3 (maybe 4 years) in Dallas, was passed over as the interim coach in Clevland, for Terry Robiske.  Robiskie only HC experience was as an interim HC for, appropriately enough, Norv Turner in Washington. 

I would never say JJ was a lousy coach, but I also think he is an overrated coach.  He had a roster stuffed with talent, size, and speed.  He deserves some credit for that.  But, he also benefited heavily from an insane trade with the Vikings (in the Cowboys favor).  Being down here in Cowboy country, I think people don't give Jerry Jones enough credit for that era of Cowboys football, and give Jimmy too much.  Most of the credit belongs to Aikman, Emmitt, Irving, and one of the most dominant O-lines in NFL history.  Hell, even Barry friggin' Switzer couldn't help but win a Super Bowl with essentially the same talent.

When judging Jimmy Johnson, you have to credit him for his success with the Cowboys, but also give him a fair amount of blame for the lousy condition he left the Dolphins franchise in... not that I mind.  I would be shocked if JJ doesn't try to make a comeback at some point.  He has a huge ego.... :I starred in Brokeback Mountain: Dallas Cowboys!

140595[/snapback]

You could almost say the same for Marv.... <_<

BTW..My copy of Marv's book comes today.... :D:D

You could almost say the same for Marv.... <_<

BTW..My copy of Marv's book comes today.... :D  :D

140673[/snapback]

Not quite...outside of Buffalo, Marv was never really hailed as the genius that Johnson was. In fact, you might say that Marv was not given enough credit in some ways. True, Polian and Butler (to a lesser extent maybe) were great at assembling talent, but notice that to a man, almost nobody who left the Bills from the Levy era went on to do anything with another team, except maybe Cornelius Bennett. Marve didn't have a "coaching tree" (except Ted Marchabroda who was mildly successful in Baltimore) because his staffs were made up of guys with as much, if not more pro football experience as he had.

Marv wishes he had such a lofty coaching tree....  <_<

140793[/snapback]

Depends on how you define coaching tree.....Wade Phillips was his D Coordinator at the end....Ted Cottrell also was there. These guys are not great HC, but they are solild coaches.

Marv made the HOF, enough respect from outside WNY in my opinion.

Depends on how you define coaching tree.....Wade Phillips was his D Coordinator at the end....Ted Cottrell also was there.  These guys are not great HC, but they are solild coaches.

Marv made the HOF, enough respect from outside WNY in my opinion.

140821[/snapback]

Uhhh... yeah.

Ted Marchibroda and Wade were both head coaches before coming to Buffalo. Ted Cottrell is a DC. That does not qualify as a coaching tree in anyone's book.

Uhhh... yeah.

Ted Marchibroda and Wade were both head coaches before coming to Buffalo.  Ted Cottrell is a DC.  That does not qualify as a coaching tree in anyone's book.

141015[/snapback]

Coaching trees are pretty rare in the NFL. Paul Brown and Walsh had them, but guys like Lombardi, Noll, and Gibbs didn't.

A coach needs to pioneer a system to have a coaching tree. Levy, and the guys mentioned above, relied more on the abilites of their coaches and players to be successful.

Johnson wasn't an innovator, he did help the transition to speedier players, but that's not really on par with the invention of the west coast offense. He did a good job evaluating talent in Dallas, mostly because he was evaluating alot of those guys a second time after coaching the Hurricanes.

So it's not suprising that his tree is withering. These guys weren't coaching a 'Jimmy Johnson' system. They were left to their own abilities, which turned out to be mediocre by NFL standards.

Coaching trees are pretty rare in the NFL.  Paul Brown and Walsh had them, but guys like Lombardi, Noll, and Gibbs didn't. 

A coach needs to pioneer a system to have a coaching tree.  Levy, and the guys mentioned above, relied more on the abilites of their coaches and players to be successful.

Johnson wasn't an innovator, he did help the transition to speedier players, but that's not really on par with the invention of the west coast offense.  He did a good job evaluating talent in Dallas, mostly because he was evaluating alot of those guys a second time after coaching the Hurricanes.

So it's not suprising that his tree is withering.  These guys weren't coaching a 'Jimmy Johnson' system.  They were left to their own abilities, which turned out to be mediocre by NFL standards.

141057[/snapback]

Great post. Don Coryell is another one to add to your list.

And quietly, the Bill Cowher coaching tree is quite impressive.

141138[/snapback]

I did notice that on Mularkey's radio show this week, he sort of deflected a question about how much influence Cowher had on him. In fact, he said that Chuck Noll, for whom Mularkey played for three seasons, had much more influence on him than any other coach.

Great post. Don Coryell is another one to add to your list.

141121[/snapback]

How about Jim Lee Howell, the head coach of the 1958 New York Giants?

His offensive coordinator was Vince Lombardi and his defensive coordinator was Tom Landry.

I'm assuming their referring to Mularkey. However, Cowher himself began his coaching career under Marty Schottenheimer.

141487[/snapback]

Dom Capers and Marvin Lewis come to mind where Cowher is concerned. Unfortunately, so do Jim Haslett and Chan Gailey.

Cowher, Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards all worked for Marty Schottenheimer, and of course we know Marty played for Lou Saban.

Dom Capers and Marvin Lewis come to mind where Cowher is concerned.  Unfortunately, so do Jim Haslett and Chan Gailey.

Cowher, Tony Dungy and Herm Edwards all worked for Marty Schottenheimer, and of course we know Marty played for Lou Saban.

141493[/snapback]

Dom Capers and Mavin Lewis are not in the great HC category yet. I think in order to be a limb of a coaching tree, you need to go from coordinator to HC. Lewis was in Baltimore under Belick too.