"Chopping down JJ's coaching tree"

BADOLBILZ

I did notice that on Mularkey's radio show this week, he sort of deflected a question about how much influence Cowher had on him.  In fact, he said that Chuck Noll, for whom Mularkey played for three seasons, had much more influence on him than any other coach.

141147[/snapback]

I wonder how much of that has to do with the political situation of the BILLS management and Mr. Cowher.

Dom Capers and Mavin Lewis are not in the great HC  category yet.  I think in order to be a limb of a coaching tree, you need to go from coordinator to HC.  Lewis was in Baltimore under Belick too.

141516[/snapback]

By impressive I meant the number of HC in the NFL that worked for Cowher. If you would like to attach "greatness" to a coaching tree legacy then no one would qualify, because there are very few great NFL coaches, period.

But, I'd like you to compare other legacy coaches whose assistants were elevated to NFL HC on par with Cowher's clan:

Capers

Gailey

LeBeau

Haslett

Lewis

Mularkey

The only legacy that I think is more impressive is the Bill Walsh tree.

Even if Mularkey feels that Noll was a bigger influence, you cannot discount Cowher's knack for finding very good assistants who can take it to the next level.