Rush: Beyond The Lighted Stage

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work security at a concert venue. Geddy Lee was a real !@#$. Broke my heart.

I have heard that Neil can be kind of a prick, but I've always heard nice things about Geddy and Alex. What did he do or say to you?

I was emailing with the Director of the Little Theater here in Rochester who it turns out is also a Rush fan. He got the film booked for a WEEK starting June 10th! :P

Nice! It's not showing up in any theaters in NC as of yet, although it is in SC and VA. Also, they aren't coming here on their upcoming tour either. :wallbash:

I used to work security at a concert venue. Geddy Lee was a real !@#$. Broke my heart.

You might have caught him on a bad day. A good friend of mine works for Atlantic Records and usually accompanies them on tours through the northeast. Spends a lot of personal time with them and loves them all.

PTR

• 3 weeks later...
I was emailing with the Director of the Little Theater here in Rochester who it turns out is also a Rush fan. He got the film booked for a WEEK starting June 10th! :worthy:

Oh man, I miss the Little Theater. I used to walk there from my place when I lived in Roch. That was about 14 years ago now.

Going to the premiere tonight - SUH-WEET!

Enjoy! I'm jealous. They finally have an NC theater an hour and a half away in Greensboro that is going to show this, but not until 6/18! I'll probably just wait until my blu ray copy shows up at the end of the month and enjoy it in the home theater.

Enjoy! I'm jealous. They finally have an NC theater an hour and a half away in Greensboro that is going to show this, but not until 6/18! I'll probably just wait until my blu ray copy shows up at the end of the month and enjoy it in the home theater.

Well that was just awesome. Some very funny moments, and obviously tons of interviews and archival footage.

Well that was just awesome. Some very funny moments, and obviously tons of interviews and archival footage.

It's received rave reviews from what I have read and won the audience choice award at Tribeca.

Here is one that captures the essence of what Rush is quite well in my opinion.

Link

A conspiracy theorist might make a reasonable case for the idea that the band was actually blacklisted by the likes of Rolling Stone, so consistently snarky and dismissive has been the mainstream press afforded Rush over the years. To say nothing of the punks, new wavers, metal-heads, alternatypes and indie-rockers, united as these otherwise disparate idiomatic loyalists have been in their disdain for Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson and Neil Peart. Which may explain why, though they rank after only the Beatles and the Rolling Stones in terms of consecutive gold and platinum albums, Rush has never even been nominated for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

The deal with Rush is simply this: The Canadian threesome brought deep musicality, keen intellect and a feverish desire to "push the envelope" to rock music at a time when "big, loud and dumb" was the order of the day. Lee, Lifeson and Peart refused to follow trends. By insisting that serious musicianship could be married to a literate worldview and presented to the world as heavy, progressive rock, Rush upped the ante on rock's possibilities, much as the Beatles had done a decade previous.

I'm also surprised that they got Neil to address the loss of his wife and daughter in the same year back in the 90's. He has always been an intensely private man.

It's received rave reviews from what I have read and won the audience choice award at Tribeca.

Link

I'm also surprised that they got Neil to address the loss of his wife and daughter in the same year back in the 90's. He has always been an intensely private man.

He talked more about his reaction to and eventual recovery from those events, and how the rest of the Rush family reacted and what that meant to him.

It's funny that Geddy & Alex still call Neil "the new guy". It was interesting to see how Neil seems to travel separately from the other two. He warms up for shows in a separate room. He doesn't participate in many group interviews (the Colbert Report a notable exception). He never does the "meet & greet" thing that the other two do.

I think my favorite part of the entire movie was the piece that went on during the credits, when Alex & Geddy were driving to meet Neil to discuss plans for the new CD. Obviously they had alot of wine and were totally goofy and seemingly oblivious to the fact that cameras were there.

Link

Amusing that you post a California magazine reprint of a Buffalo News article on a Buffalo Bills centric forum

Amusing that you post a California magazine reprint of a Buffalo News article on a Buffalo Bills centric forum

Thats the first link that came up when I googled it. I had originally read the Buffalo News version.

• 2 weeks later...

DVR Alert

VH1 Rock Docs presents the world television premiere of the 2010 Tribeca Film Festival Audience Choice Award documentary, RUSH: Beyond the Lighted Stage premiering on VH1, VH1 Classic, and Palladia on Saturday, June 26th at 9PM ET/PT.

This new documentary gives a comprehensive exploration of the history of legendary Canadian power trio, RUSH from their early days growing up in the suburbs of Toronto, through their landmark albums and tours, and finishing with them in the present day. Directors Scot McFadyen and Sam Dunn (“Metal: A Headbanger’s Journey” & “Iron Maiden: Flight 666”) tell us the story of the band by combining extremely rare and never-before-seen interviews with current interviews from some of the band’s admirers and contemporaries.

These interviews include Gene Simmons (KISS), Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins), Trent Reznor (NIN), Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), Sebastian Bach (Skid Row), Jack Black, and many more.