Saturday, June 26 9:00 PM EDT 335 VH1

Saturday, June 26 9:00 PM EDT 337 VH1C

Sunday, June 27 12:00 AM EDT 567 PLDAHD

Sunday, June 27 12:00 PM EDT 337 VH1C

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I already ordered the Blu-Ray and it doesn't come out until 6/29, but it has extras so I'm still glad that I did.

1. Being Bullied and The Search for The First Gig

2. Reflections on the album Hemispheres

3. Presto and Roll The Bones Rap

4. The RUSH Fashion

5. Hobbies on the Road

6. RUSH Trekkies

7. Pre Gig Warm-Up

8. "Best I Can" - (never-before-seen footage w/ original drummer, John Rutsey from 1974)

9. "Working Man" - (never-before-seen footage w/ original drummer, John Rutsey from 1974)

10. "La Villa Strangiato" - Live at Pinkpop Festival in Holland from 1979 (first time this epic song was captured on video)

11. "Between The Sun and Moon" - Hartford, CT (from the band's first show back after hiatus in 2002)

12. Dinner with RUSH at a Hunting Lodge

13. "Far Cry" live - from the 'Snakes & Arrows' DVD

14. "Entre Nous" live - from the 'Snakes & Arrows' DVD

15. "Bravado" - rare live version -- previously only available on the 'R30' Blu-ray version

16. "YYZ" - rare live version -- previously only available on the 'R30' Blu-ray version

Just set the DVR (gotta love DirecTV).

Future Airings:

Saturday, June 26 9:00 PM EDT 567 PLDAHD

Saturday, June 26 9:00 PM EDT 335 VH1

Saturday, June 26 9:00 PM EDT 337 VH1C

Sunday, June 27 12:00 AM EDT 567 PLDAHD

Sunday, June 27 12:00 PM EDT 337 VH1C

Awesome . . .

Why DirecTV in this case? None of these channels are DirecTV specific.

He probably meant that with DirecTV he can program his DVR from online or with phone app. Other sat/cable TV providers may offer this too, I don't know.

I finally has a chance to watch the documentary last night. There were a few things revealed that I wasn't completely aware of. First, I always thought Rutsey left the band on his own due to musical differences. Instead it turns out he was a diabetic and they asked him to leave out of concern for his own health. Second, the mid 80's synth era really didn't have the band seeing eye to eye. Alex was adamant after Power Windows that the synth heavy sound needed to go. Third, Alex and Geddy both thought the band was done after the death of Neil's wife and daughter. Any interviews done with them at the time always suggested they were on an indefinite break, but the future of the band really was in doubt. I don't know how Neil ever came back from that on any level, let alone becoming a practicing musician again.

I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan, but Billy Corgan I thought did a great job at explaining what the essence of Rush is all about. I liked the Matt Stone quote about Rush critics not giving the band any love in the 70's or 80's, but now you have to give it up for them or else you're just an "old dickhead." Trent Reznor also added some nice thoughts. Sebastian Bach is a tool.

Great film. Highly recommended.

The Time Machine tour kicks off tonight. Moving Pictures being played in it's entirety. Here is the reported set list...

Set 1

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Time Stand Still (last played on Counterparts tour)

3. Presto (never played live)

4. Stick It Out (last played on Test For Echo tour)

5. Leave That Thing Alone (last played on Vapor Trails tour)

6. Workin' Them Angels

7. Faithless (never played live)

8. BU2B (new song - never played live)

9. Freewill

10. Marathon (last played on Presto tour)

11. Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2

12. Tom Sawyer

13. Red Barchetta

14. YYZ

15. Limelight

16. The Camera Eye (last played on Signals tour)

17. Witch Hunt

18. Vital Signs (last played on Vapor Trails tour)

19. Caravan (new song - never played live)

20. Drum Solo

21. Alex Solo (Hope?)

22. Closer to the Heart (last played on Vapor Trails tour)

23. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx

Encore

24. Far Cry

25. La villa Strangiato (last played on R30 tour)

26. Working Man (last played on R30 tour)

I finally has a chance to watch the documentary last night. There were a few things revealed that I wasn't completely aware of. First, I always thought Rutsey left the band on his own due to musical differences. Instead it turns out he was a diabetic and they asked him to leave out of concern for his own health. Second, the mid 80's synth era really didn't have the band seeing eye to eye. Alex was adamant after Power Windows that the synth heavy sound needed to go. Third, Alex and Geddy both thought the band was done after the death of Neil's wife and daughter. Any interviews done with them at the time always suggested they were on an indefinite break, but the future of the band really was in doubt. I don't know how Neil ever came back from that on any level, let alone becoming a practicing musician again.

I'm not a Smashing Pumpkins fan, but Billy Corgan I thought did a great job at explaining what the essence of Rush is all about. I liked the Matt Stone quote about Rush critics not giving the band any love in the 70's or 80's, but now you have to give it up for them or else you're just an "old dickhead." Trent Reznor also added some nice thoughts. Sebastian Bach is a tool.

Great film. Highly recommended.

The Time Machine tour kicks off tonight. Moving Pictures being played in it's entirety. Here is the reported set list...

Set 1

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Time Stand Still (last played on Counterparts tour)

3. Presto (never played live)

4. Stick It Out (last played on Test For Echo tour)

5. Leave That Thing Alone (last played on Vapor Trails tour)

6. Workin' Them Angels

7. Faithless (never played live)

8. BU2B (new song - never played live)

9. Freewill

10. Marathon (last played on Presto tour)

11. Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2

12. Tom Sawyer

13. Red Barchetta

14. YYZ

15. Limelight

16. The Camera Eye (last played on Signals tour)

17. Witch Hunt

18. Vital Signs (last played on Vapor Trails tour)

19. Caravan (new song - never played live)

20. Drum Solo

21. Alex Solo (Hope?)

22. Closer to the Heart (last played on Vapor Trails tour)

23. 2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx

Encore

24. Far Cry

25. La villa Strangiato (last played on R30 tour)

26. Working Man (last played on R30 tour)

I did know that Alex was very unhappy with the way things had turned from guitar to keyboards. I wasn't aware that it took an outside producer to get them back to being a "power trio".

I always hold out hope they'll do all 4 songs of the Fear trilogy. I'm psyched for "Marathon" - a great song live, with the violins & choir swelling in the background at the end.

I liked the Matt Stone quote about Rush critics not giving the band any love in the 70's or 80's, but now you have to give it up for them or else you're just an "old dickhead."

That makes me just an "old dickhead", I guess. I'm fine with that.

The thing is, I think the story is probably interesting and it might make a good movie/documentary. But the mere thought of having to listen to Rush (particularly the singing of castrato Geddy Lee) throughout gives me a giant headache.

That makes me just an "old dickhead", I guess. I'm fine with that.

The thing is, I think the story is probably interesting and it might make a good movie/documentary. But the mere thought of having to listen to Rush (particularly the singing of castrato Geddy Lee) throughout gives me a giant headache.

Well according to Matt Stone anyway you would be! :flirt:

I think he was more talking about giving it up for them in terms of the almost 40 year career, their refusal to give in to critics and record companies, the top notch musicianship etc. Many people don't get Rush and never will. Different strokes. For instance, Steely Dan bores me to tears, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize their talent and influence.

And the film does go into Geddy's voice with some very descriptive critiques from back in the day. In my opinion his voice has mellowed with age and really hasn't had the banshee shriek quality to it since the early 80's. They tune down to play some of the older songs live these days.

I had to laugh at this line (in a good way). I suppose the worst outcome for any creative effort would be if people had no opinion about it at all.

This reminds me of a saying my mother taught me which is:

"you won't have good friends absent strong enemies."

The use of the term enemies is illustrative and overly strong. Her thought might have been better presented by simply saying that if you try to be appealing to all you will be friends with none. The same can be said for music.

Well according to Matt Stone anyway you would be! B-)

I think he was more talking about giving it up for them in terms of the almost 40 year career, their refusal to give in to critics and record companies, the top notch musicianship etc. Many people don't get Rush and never will. Different strokes. For instance, Steely Dan bores me to tears, but that doesn't mean that I don't recognize their talent and influence.

I had to laugh at this line (in a good way). I suppose the worst outcome for any creative effort would be if people had no opinion about it at all.

This reminds me of a saying my mother taught me which is:

"you won't have good friends absent strong enemies."

The use of the term enemies is illustrative and overly strong. Her thought might have been better presented by simply saying that if you try to be appealing to all you will be friends with none. The same can be said for music.

I agree completely with both of these posts. You have to respect Rush not only for their longevity, but also for their musicianship. Hell, I respect plenty of bands I don't particularly like. But I don't like many I don't respect. (Does that make sense?)

And I'm of the opinion that, for the most part, stuff that is incredibly good usually has a limited audience. That is, stuff that is massively popular is usually not of outstanding quality. Of course there are exceptions.