scientists create living cell

Cool! I suppose now's a good time to make some orders. Figure....what? 20 years lead time? Ok.

But, then again, I am still waiting for the flying car I was promised at the World's Fair. :P Hurry the f up already.

In any case, I wonder:

1. If you get replacement parts, does that count as losing a % of your soul?

2. If your discarded parts have a % of your soul...do they go to heaven/hell?

3. If so, can we expect heaven/hell to soon be overrun by recently detached...organs? Or, little _ricks? :oops::wallbash:

I have a relative working there- Craig Venter is pretty much a super-genius heading a group of geniuses and near geniuses- this is basic research that will help advance many areas but I think advances in bio-fuels will be one of the first tangible benefit we will see.

I have a relative working there- Craig Venter is pretty much a super-genius heading a group of geniuses and near geniuses- this is basic research that will help advance many areas but I think advances in bio-fuels will be one of the first tangible benefit we will see.

Doesn't matter, DC Tom still thinks he knows more than these guys. He thinks he is smarter than all scientists.

Doesn't matter, DC Tom still thinks he knows more than these guys. He thinks he is smarter than all scientists.

Ouch my feelings are hurt?

I think you have no idea how low my opinion is of you.

I did a little research on this, and here's my understanding. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ventner didn't create a cell. He created an artificial baterial genome. But he did NOT take inorganic material and buld a cell from the bottom up (i.e. membrane, nucleus, mitochondria, whatever). Rather, he implanted an artificial genome into an existing bacteria and had it reproduce. Am I right?

Either way, the key word her is CREATED. It didn't self-organize. It didn't just appear. Ventner CREATED this genome.

I did a little research on this, and here's my understanding. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Ventner didn't create a cell. He created an artificial baterial genome. But he did NOT take inorganic material and buld a cell from the bottom up (i.e. membrane, nucleus, mitochondria, whatever). Rather, he implanted an artificial genome into an existing bacteria and had it reproduce. Am I right?

Either way, the key word her is CREATED. It didn't self-organize. It didn't just appear. Ventner CREATED this genome.

I suspect this will have all the importance of the announcement of cold fusion 20 years ago.

You are correct. They first sequenced the bacteria's whole genome (which nowadays takes only a few weeks) Then they built a new genome with optimized gene expression of some genes. In some non-coding areas they put "trademarks" so they could tell if the resultant growth was from the engineered bacteria. The "trademarks were DNA sequences that when translated to one letter amino acid codes would spell out some of their names (Ventner can be spelled out).