Where did we really reach?

I think easley and batten were reaches, but if they were who we wanted, then maybe everyone else was wrong. i dont think Batten would have been drafted. I think overall our draft was economical.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see - you say the Bills don't need a guard, don't need a LB, don't need a TE, don't need a DE, don't need a T, don't need a C.

But they need a RB because Fred is 30 years old and Marshawn is iffy.

Right...

No, they needed Spiller because the Bills have not one single playmaker on their team - zero. There's not one player that an opposing DC fears on our team - no one to game plan for. This kid had some 20 touchdown runs of over 50 yards! That's 20 more than either of our guys have. For the first time in years, we have a playmaker and a gamechanger. That's why they took him.

tgreg99

Your thinking is flawed. All those teams that you mention that use the committee approach have taken RB's in the 1st round, sometimes multiple times. Whether or not they are super stars isn't the point, they all used high picks on the position. It is still very relevant to have a good run game to help your passing attack and teams still place a premium on the RB position.

New Orleans - Bush #2 pick overall

Indy - Adai and Brown were both 1st round picks

Tennessee - Johnson 1st round

Steelers - Mendenhall 1st round

Carolina - Williams and Stewart 1st round

New England - Maroney 1st round

Dallas - Jones 1st round

I threw in a couple others for you just to point out that it may be a committee but the teams are still taking the position high.

A running game that dominates makes it easier for a QB, so maybe that's part of what Chan is thinking. Spiller is fast enough and explosive enough that he doesn't need the best line because all he needs is just a crease for a spit second and he's gone.

They reached when they took a RB in the first round. For a team with a half a dozen glaring holes, they chose to add a "playmaker" (who will play less than 60% of the offensive snaps) to the team's deepest position. A position where they already had not one, but TWO, 1,000 yard rushers. Also, RB is a position the Bills have time and time again wasted first round draft picks on over the past (playoff-less) decade. From Smith, to Henry (high 2nd), to Willis, to Lynch less than 3 years ago.

In my opinion it was a terrible, terrible waste of a pick for a team who frankly can't afford to waste any more draft picks.

I don't see the reach if your saying Marshawn has the same homerun ability that Spiller does he never showed it . Plus spiller i believe is a Buffalo type of guy 'small town kid, better all around decision maker , no baggage from college ! Marshawn big city attitude like Mcgahee & Peters, bad decision maker & he showed nothin last year when he came in the game, if he was the #1 he would have won the job back!!

But Freddy just spanked him :thumbsup: !!!!! I think Lynch will be traded & this will prove to be a GREAT decision !!

It's a philosophical difference. Before I get into what I mean by that, let me say up front that even though I think the Spiller pick was the wrong pick, there's nothing to be done about it now. And, I will be rooting my ass off him to be everything he's hyped to be and more. I'm not not one of those fans who care more about being right than having their team win -- as (I think) you know.

Still ... here's why this pick, to me, is such a waste. It comes down to the fact that I believe the NFL has changed drastically over the past 10 years. Back in the 70s, 80s and 90s (and before), teams relied upon 1 RB to carry the load. And while QBs have always been important, it was rare to find a GREAT team (ie: Super Bowl winner) who didn't have a super star RB or a tremendously talented rushing attack leading the way. It was a grind it out, control the clock type of game where DBs were allowed to maul WRs, passing schemes were (by in large) conservative. Scores were low (average were around 20 - 25 per game).

The NFL, in an effort to goose the sport, changed the rules (or started enforcing the rules depending on who you ask) for DBs and opened up the passing attack. Scoring went way up as teams started using spread attacks with 4 or 5 WRs on the field at a time. QBs took over the sport even more so and where teams used to run to set up the pass they are now passing to set up the run. The league changed. Almost over night. It's now, 100% a passing league where the team with the best passing attack and the best pass defense wins over the team with the best rushing attack.

GMs know this. They began to adjust HOW they built their teams in response to this as can clearly be seen in the most successful franchises over the past decade. And I don't mean just by drafting more CBs, WRs and QBs -- but by devaluing RBs. Why? Because RBs had priced themselves out of relevance. Teams couldn't afford to tie up a large percentage of their cap space on super star RBs when more money was needed for the OL, WRs, DBs, and QBs. So they adjusted. They discovered that RB is one of the easiest positions to transition from the college game to the NFL. The learning curve is short. That means that teams could take the Bronco's model and take any RB and turn him into a productive threat. So, they started going with tandum backfields. RB by committee.

The success was evident on the field. Teams found that they could get the SAME production, if not more, by using two RBs found late in the draft or on the FA market. Look at the stats from the league's top offenses last year (NFL.com has a great stat sorting tool you can use -- I dug up all these stats before and don't feel like doing it again right now so I'll paraphrase) and you'll find that the top 5 offensive teams didn't have a marquee RB. They had talented backs, but none that you'd consider a superstar. Look at the top RUSHING teams and you'll see much of the same thing -- only the top rushing teams by in large weren't playoff teams. Rather they were on the outside looking in.

Specific examples: New Orleans used 4 RBs, none of them marquee (I'm sorry, Bush doesn't count as marquee because he's been a tremendous disappointment based on where he was drafted and the hype surrounding him), Indy got rid of James for a RB by committee approach and while Adai and Brown are good neither are super stars (though Brown was a first round pick -- more on that later), The Pats haven't had a super star RB ... ever, The Giants, Steelers, all used committees ... the list goes on. These teams are not defined by their running backs or even their running game even though they have good ones. They are all defined by their passing attacks and defense. That's how you get a winner in this new NFL.

Take a look at the example in Tennessee. Tennessee went 15-1 with their RB by committee approach using White and Johnson. Then, they abandoned that in favor of using JUST Johnson and they wound up going 8-8 with no playoffs. Were there other factors? Sure. But people here want to say Spiller is the next Johnson -- yet Johnson just proved that he can't do it by himself in Tennessee.

There's just no point in using high draft picks on RBs unless your team is one player away from being a super bowl contender. RBs lifespans are the shortest in the league (they all seem to hit the wall at 30), and since you can find equal production from 2 lesser/cheaper players later in the draft or FA there's no logic in using a high pick to take one early. The best, most successful teams in the leauge the past decade know this and have acted accordingly. Yet the Bills have not. They have used not 1, not 2, but THREE first round picks in the past 6 years on RBs. Think about that. THREE first round picks on a position where, their most productive player during that stretch was found in NFL Europe.

I don't think it's at all a coincidence that in those 6 years these Bills teams have been at the bottom of the barrell in the AFC East and the NFL in general. The team has been mishandled for over a decade. Built, and torn down. Rebuilt and torn down again. Only every time they seem to start with the same principle: RB is the key. And I'm sorry. It's not. Maybe in 1985. But not in 2010. RB is, perhaps, the least important position on the field. The old timers will be screaming: "We play in Buffalo! You can't win in the cold and snow of December and January without a grinding running game". That is the WORST, and most incorrect excuse I hear on here. First, when's the last time the Bills have been in a playoff game in the snow? Second, NE, Pittsburgh, the Giants all made it just fine using RB by committee in the winter.

What Spiller brings to the table is a playmaker who "can score anytime he touches the ball". Sure. That's true if he lives up to the hype. He will bust a few long ones this year. If he's REAL good he'll take one to the house a game (on a long run I mean). Maybe 1 every other game -- even that would be great. But what would you rather have? An OFFENSE who can score every time it's on the field -- which requires a QB, WRs, and OL. Or a player who can break long runs off once or twice a game?

Therein lies my point. The Bills already have enough talent at RB to win in this modern NFL. What they don't have is the pieces for the rest of the puzzle. People all say "Fred is 30, Marshawn is a thug" ... and I'd argue even if that's true, the answer is NOT taking yet ANOTHER first round RB, but rather building a RB by committee through the later rounds in the draft and free agency. That's how you build a winning team.

The Bills could have traded back. With such a deep draft are you willing to say that NONE of the players taken after the number 9 pick at either: OT, OG, DL, LB, WR, QB will become probowl/franchise type players? But the Bills didn't even consider trading back because Spiller was their guy all along. He's who they wanted. And that to me shows that they just don't understand that the game has changed. They're stuck in the past. And we as fans are going to be the ones who pay for that.

If there is no point in picking a rb that high unless we are one player away from superbowl contention, then our beloved Bills may never get to make that pick. How many times have we been ONE player away?

as for picking 3 early rbs. The Mcgahee pick WAS stupid. I agree there. We had henry and willis was injured. Donahoe screwed up big on that one and you probably won't get many people who think otherwise. willis wanted out and was becoming a problem so we had to trade him. The Lynch pic was a need. He is a good back but with all his troubles might not last around here. Picking Spiller, though it wasn't a pressing need, it could be in a year, or maybe even this year depending on what Marshawn is thinking, or if he screws up again. Jackson doesnt have too much wear and tear yet but he is getting old for a running back. So it could be argued that this was a need pic.

Running back is perhaps the least important position on the field? Are you insane? Running backs account for a good chunk of yardage and points in the league. and time of possesion. and they catch passes. I totally disagree with that statement.

Next point, you don't know they could have traded back. and like john said, maybe they didn't get a realistic offer. and you still didn't answer his question. If you HAD to pic at 9, WHO WOULD YOU HAVE PICKED?

you are correct in one thing, The Bills did want Spiller. And I can understand why. You say only pic a rb high if we are one player away from a superbowl contender. So if we picked a tackle at 9 thatwasn't that great, would it get us that much closer to the superbowl? No. We are a lot of players away from a contender. When a player of Spillers calber comes along, one who is a threat for points and yardage everytime he touches the ball, and it WILL BE more than once or twice a game by the way. He's a threat running, catching, and returning. We will get a lot more out of this guy than anyone else we could have gotten at that point. this ISN'T a one year project. We can still get all the pieces we need in the next year or two and we will still have Spiller. you are stuck on thinking YOUR Way is the ONLY way to build a team. and I just don't buy it.

According to NFLDraftscout.com this is where our draft class projected and where we drafted them:

C.J. Spiller Projected 1st Rd, Drafted 1st Rd

Troup Projected 2-3 Rd, Drafted 2 Rd (high second, but hard working true NT)

Carrington Projected 2 Rd, Drafted 3rd Rd

Easley Projected 3rd Rd, Drafted 4th Rd

Wang Projected 3rd Rd, Drafted 5th Rd

Batten Projected 6-7 Rd, Drafted 6th Rd

Levi Brown Projected 4-5 Rd, Drafted 7th Rd

Calloway Projected 6-7 Rd, Drafted 7th Rd

So where is the reach and why were the Bills not credited for getting value at the picks? Every guy was projected to go at the pick or earlier.

What if we would have drafted Levi Brown where he projected or Wang for that matter? Would they be saying (DraftNiks) we got "The Guy"?

I think Troup, Spiller, Carrington are starters, Wang is mid to late year starter and Undrafted Antonio Coleman out plays Maybin.

I think maybe we have and I also think that we drafted more then one of "The Guys"

Thoughts?

You try to seem like you are a scout and have a handle on knowing all about the players and how they will fare to some degree. There are many factors to take into consideration and unless you are on the inside you really don't know and are either just being a parrot repeating what you hear others say or guessing.

So you think Spiller and Carrington are starters..Why? First of all a college player entering into the NFL has to first get acclimated to their new city and surroundings. It may be a drastic change for them as they are suddenly often far away from family. They have to find living quarters without receiving much of the money they will receive until a bit later. They need to get familiar with the team and fit in, get acclimated to any weather differences, all the new found attention they may receive, and accept constructive criticism from coaches.

Some players have guaranteed money and don't handle the fame well. Suddenly, some players think they made it! They forget that their hardest work as a pro athlete is about to begin. The long hours training and working out, team physical requirements, medical testing, and on the field practice and team meetings.

Some athletes have problems with weight management and have to work hard to stay in shape. The physical and mental

toll from all these requirements and challenges can be very real. The risk of injury is always present, strains from running, weight lifting, and practices often occur and are hopefully limited to minor pulls, cramps, and strains.

If all this goes well, there is constant competition, and constructive criticism..not everyone likes critical comments. Then there is the playbook, not just a positional chore as you need to know what your teamates are doing as well. The NFL Playbook is a complex much more than a series of x's and o's that goes way beyond that of a college football athlete.

There are many other issues that are involved in your rookie year. Some players just never take the next step and mature

on the football field. There are plenty of examples, especially QB's, but all positons have there inherent challenges. Many players take two or three years until they really get the whole concept, and become a impact player. Some players just

never quite live up to their prognosticated expectations.

Considering all these factors from being someone in the know, I realize that you can never say for certain that a player will be a starter or impact player in their rookie season or know for sure that they will ever taste success. I am reluctant to

say that Spiller or Carrington will be a starter...especially in their rookie season considering all the things that can go wrong including injuries. I think when people blatantly project a player as a starter without supporting documentation and having knowledge of all the obstacles that a player has to clear before ever jogging onto the field is haphazard. It leaves a clear indication that yes they are a fan but they really don't have a clue as to what it entails to become a NFL Player.

To me, it seems that Spiller has the potential to be a rookie starter, but I won't go further than that because even

with my background I know better. As far as players being reaches, it is a waste of time to even try to figure that out so prematurely. It will take probably two years or in some cases more to determine a players value regarding the draft.

I thought the Bills drafted 9 players, but I could be mistaken...I thought they took a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 7th?? Like I said I could be wrong...but if history repeats itself out of the 8 players you mentioned that were drafted it would be a great draft if 4 players really made the roster longterm. A good draft if 3 players did well...and if one player becomes a hall of famer it was a great draft.

One thing I can say from my experiences, is that intangibles, guts, heart, the determination to overcome, self-pride and

other important moral character traits all are part of what seperates great players from average players. It is not just the

size and physical ability and past success that makes a hall of fame player. That is one of the reasons that I think a player of the caliber of Tim Tebow has a good shot of being a special player. Like I said, there are no guarantees, I know he has

some mechanical issues to continue to improve on, but that kid has the intangibles that I would want on my team.

I really hope that the Bills continue to improve, because we all have something to prove, and pride of our city of Buffalo.

We have been down to long and have to get back to the Superbowl and hopefully win one!!!!! I just don't think you can

make predictions at this point, and I don't think you can safely assume who will be a starter, and how well our Buffalo

Bills did in the draft or free agency.

I know I'm ready for some football, some wings, some snow at the Ralph, and some wins! Let's Go Bills!!! :worthy:

I think easley and batten were reaches, but if they were who we wanted, then maybe everyone else was wrong. i dont think Batten would have been drafted. I think overall our draft was economical.

What are you trying to say here? Are you inferring Ralph is cheap and that is why they picked who they picked?

Spiller has yet to step on the field. If he proves his hype, the opposition will key on him. If that happens, it will be up to the rest of the Bills' attack to take advantage. And we don't know - yet - if they can. Bush has Brees. Tomlinson had Brees and then Rivers, along with a serviceable OL.

Personally, were I a DC, I would flatten him hard at every opportunity if he proves irksom - let the rest of the offense try to beat me. If he lines up wide, I have 5 yards to cut him, give him a shiver to the chops or a whack in the midsection. He'll have to go to the middle against me - I'm not letting a fast rb stepping outside the tackles run down the sidelines. If need be, I'll hold him, slam him hard onto the turf (a lesson) and suffer the 5 and 1st.

Every team schemes against an opponents' spiff players. Nothing special there. It's just NFL business as usual. Not just offensive players - CIN, woeful as they may be, take effort to knock the daylights out of PGH's Polamalu, and BAL's Lewis. Success escaped them outside of their division, but they have a decent record within.

I'm not recommending anyone go out of their way to watch the b'gals - but if you do, you will detect that. It's a treat to watch - the 2 players mentioned above are tough as nails, and the hard hits dished out are highlight stuff.

First of all, he's a 200 lb. RB, so let's not pretend like he's slight. And what help has Chris Johnson had the last two years in terms of other weapons.

The kid played in the ACC for a fairly mediocre team. Do you not think he's been keyed on before? Gamebreakers are a rare breed.

First of all, he's a 200 lb. RB, so let's not pretend like he's slight. And what help has Chris Johnson had the last two years in terms of other weapons.

The kid played in the ACC for a fairly mediocre team. Do you not think he's been keyed on before? Gamebreakers are a rare breed.

I never said he was slight. In a post a while back, I pointed out to a poster who thought so, that that isn't so. Others chimed in to corroborate.

I'll add that there is a small drumbeat going on among some here, to not "risk" him in the return game. Same thoughts have been voiced about McGee for a while. That, I disagree with. If he proves the best, I play him in that role. No b*lls, no glory.

Obviously, he has been keyed on in college games. And now he has to face cream-of-the-crop NFL defenders, who in addition to keying on him, work to neutralize his OL. And defending the BUF OL as it stands is a task best left to the brave...

He may be a gamebreaker. We'll see if he does that in the pro game. But if I were calling a D and he proves to be, I'd be sure to try to break his game. The question facing the BUF offensive brain trust is...can they find a way and/or the talent to punish me for my preoccupation? That's an unknown.

They reached when they took a RB in the first round.

They reached by doing the exact opposite of reaching? They took the BPA regardless of position, the exact opposite of reaching for a player, where reaching is taking a player because he plays a position one wants to fill regardless of his talent, value, or the other players available.

You try to seem like you are a scout and have a handle on knowing all about the players and how they will fare to some degree. There are many factors to take into consideration and unless you are on the inside you really don't know and are either just being a parrot repeating what you hear others say or guessing.

So you think Spiller and Carrington are starters..Why?

I want to take this opportunity, to make a comment about the tone of this reply, as this tone seems to be all to common all over this broad. Your point could have been made without the condescending tone.

This is the typical condescending tone that starts the rock throwing on these threads.

I, like everyone else here, use this forum to ask questions and convey opinions. With no claims other than being a fan for 35 plus years.

I would love it if every one could reflect or at least re-read thier post before be so condescending. It comes across like one of my bitter, liberal, college professors of years gone by.

If you can judge my abilities from one thread, why can I not make an opinion about some player from multiple articles and stats?

Just wondering?

As far as comments on spelling, gramar and type-o's, what's the point of that as well? If your trying to make people feel stupid do it somewhere else.

tgreg99

Your thinking is flawed. All those teams that you mention that use the committee approach have taken RB's in the 1st round, sometimes multiple times. Whether or not they are super stars isn't the point, they all used high picks on the position. It is still very relevant to have a good run game to help your passing attack and teams still place a premium on the RB position.

New Orleans - Bush #2 pick overall

Indy - Adai and Brown were both 1st round picks

Tennessee - Johnson 1st round

Steelers - Mendenhall 1st round

Carolina - Williams and Stewart 1st round

New England - Maroney 1st round

Dallas - Jones 1st round

I threw in a couple others for you just to point out that it may be a committee but the teams are still taking the position high.

A running game that dominates makes it easier for a QB, so maybe that's part of what Chan is thinking. Spiller is fast enough and explosive enough that he doesn't need the best line because all he needs is just a crease for a spit second and he's gone.

Solid counter. Many of the referenced RB by Committee teams still spent first rounder’s on their backfield.

Add Minnesota- Peterson. Phins have Brown (second overall),

Also:

The Jets gave up a second round pick (37th overall) for Thomas Jones, and raven drafted Ray Rice with their second pick, still a premium pick

The Bills will have two first rounder’s and will likely also use the committee approach.

I believe 100% that if Nix crew thought they had a choice at #9 for a franchise QB vs. a franchise RB, they would have grabbed the QB.

From DraftTek:

Here is the relative value/reach for each pick compared to our Final Consensus Mock:

Rd 1, Pick 9 (9) Spiller, C.J. RB ---------Value (+3)---we picked him up 3 places after our mock had him

Rd 2, Pick 9 (41) Troup, Torell DT -------Reach (-44)--we picked him 44 slots early

Rd 3, Pick 8 (72) Carrington, Alex DE --Value (+11)

Rd 4, Pick 9 (107) Easley, Marcus WR ---Reach (-71)

Rd 5, Pick 9 (140) Wang, Ed OT-----------Reach (-5)

Rd 6, Pick 9 (178) Moats, Arthur DE------Value (+13)

Rd 6, Pick 23 (192) Batten, Danny DE----Reach (-35)

Rd 7, Pick 2 (209) Brown, Levi QB--------Value (+12)

Rd 7, Pick 9 (216) Calloway, Kyle OT-----Value (+73)

Net---------------------------------------------------------- Reach -21

Our view at DraftTek was that the Bills had a "B" draft; the problem is that NEP and NYJ had "A" drafts.

Many thanks for you many analytically quantifiable posts related to the draft. I really appreciate them as being far from the fact free opinions which often dominate boards such as TSW.

However (and there always is a however with any statistical analysis) the stats presented by you do leave me wondering whether there has been any statistical calculation of how critical the draft is to ultimate team success (which my sense is best statistically measured by your choice of W/L, playoff appearances or if you want SB appearances or wins).

Has there been any statistical statement of a convergence between draft grades as assigned by DraftTek and actual team accomplishments as measured by the stat of your choice.

My guess is that yes there is some relationship (good players have to come from somewhere and the draft is a mechanism for distributing players. Good teams by definition will have success and good players .

However, it would also not surprise me to find out that even though one can statistically determine draft quality based on a comparison of where players were in relation to their professionally assessed expectation, if when one compares how teams did in this relative assessment that there is no obvious trend across all teams in terms of comparing draft quality to real world assessment.

There may well be a few outriders (Detroit always has bad drafts and always has a poor record). However, my guess would be that one will not find a clearly distinguishable trend across all teams.

Has there been such an analysis comparing draft outcome to actual team success?

Mild reach on Troup and I would have preferred Cody to be honest but I am not too mad we took Troup seeing as he is a low to the ground run stuffer who is a motivated worker. As for the rest we got good or equal value according to pre-draft gurus. Carrington was projected a low 2nd and we got him in the early late 3rd. Spiller was projected top 7-12 and we got him at pick 9. Easley was projected as a late 3rd early 4th and we got him in the early 4th. Wang was projected anywhere from the 3rd to the 5th round we got him in the 5th. Late round picks aren't reaches or values because each team scouts different players.

The real reason we were getting killed by ESPN and all the other talking head draft "gurus" was because we spent our best draft resource on a running back a position that we were set at. We had big issues at LT and QB and we spent our pick on Spiller. Regardless of the fact there was no QB available and the LT's we could have taken were suspect (A.Davis had motivation issues and Buluga had short arms and suppose-ably he was more of a RT) we were penciled to take a LT and when we went against that to take a RB we were viewed as stupid.

I don't like the Spiller pick but I think Spiller will be a good player. I wish we had a trade lined up for Lynch ahead of time right after we made the Spiller pick but Freddy is getting old. All in all if we trade for Gaither I think we had a great draft BUT if we go into the season with the same situation at LT I think we had an off-season were we forgot to address our two biggest needs.

I want to take this opportunity, to make a comment about the tone of this reply, as this tone seems to be all to common all over this broad. Your point could have been made without the condescending tone.

This is the typical condescending tone that starts the rock throwing on these threads.

I, like everyone else here, use this forum to ask questions and convey opinions. With no claims other than being a fan for 35 plus years.

I would love it if every one could reflect or at least re-read thier post before be so condescending. It comes across like one of my bitter, liberal, college professors of years gone by.

If you can judge my abilities from one thread, why can I not make an opinion about some player from multiple articles and stats?

Just wondering?

As far as comments on spelling, gramar and type-o's, what's the point of that as well? If your trying to make people feel stupid do it somewhere else.

Your opinion is most valued and although nothing quite so harsh was intended I can understand that you may read between lines and here the voice who is responding in the demeanor that you anticipate. But, when I used the word "you", I didn't quite mean, you as an individual, but you the reader out there that makes generalizations, without the supporting documentation to enable those reading "your" (all the bloggers) point to understand how you (the bloggers) came to the conclusion that you (all those bloggers who post) arrived at. Your most welcome to make your opinions on here as you like,

but as long as I maintain good discretion of the use of language, and don't call "you" the poster anything cruel, then I also

will continue the same freedom of blogging my opinion as freely as I intend without acknowledging your suggestion of

blogging somewhere else. That, as you (the blogger) is also my inherent right as an American. And, although it sounds like our opinion(s) on the Bill's fortune/misfortunae are at polar opposites. I have earned my right to express my opinion, and

I retired after 20 years of military service, honorably, a 100% combat veteran. One fault, that I will admit is that I am a

maximum effort person, who expects a team, rather a military unit or a football team to give everything they can in the pursuit of achieving the mission at hand. I just haven't seen the effort level to date, excluding this year of course to be optimistic about the Bills. I didn't much care for Buddy Nix's comment about being asleep when the free agency period began. I am not saying that we have to acquire 5-10 top tier free agent, but I do believe that you go into overdrive when

necessary, and that their should have been at least one free agent that they should have been pursuing by 12:01 a.m.

to help better the team. I bet you Bill Polian was awake at the wheel, while we were sleeping! Anyways, I am not impressed with this draft, I think we got a lot of numbers, a lot of marginal players, except for possibly C.J. Spiller. I think a RB is a position of luxury when you already have good production out of that positon. I just did not agree with the "Draft

Philosophy," that Nix injected in this draft. I think it will be difficult for the Bill's to climb into contention and out of mediocrity as long as Ralph Wilson is the owner. I also think that that is a double edge sword, as I believe that there is a

very good chance that the Bills will have a change of venue whenever Ralph Wilson expires. Another point that leaves me

less optimistic than some of the other bloggers on here is this: The Bills have lost many players of value in free agency in the past decade. I have seen countless players that I like leave because the Bills didn't want to pay them: Nate Clements, Jabari Greer, Antwoine Winfield, Pat Williams....and the list goes on and on! If you are always plugging holes that you create each year it is very difficult to build depth at any positon. You have to retain your players and add instead of lose and replace mentality that Ralph, Russ, and company have clung to in the past decade. I know times have changed since the "90's but some teams keep their core players, and retain the majority of their free agents that are worth keeping.

So, as before I am predicting the Bills to be 5-11 this season until I see a reversal of philosophy and the team heading in

a different direction. I have been (+ or - ) 1 win in my predictions the past 5 seasons, so as condescending as it may seem, I am confident in what I have learned, know, and share as a blogger, and have been proven right to my own displeasure more than I care to remember. I remember, every year that I would be excited over who the Bills drafted, thinking that Antwoin Smith rb was the next Earl Campbell and believing every word the coaches, and GM's used to feed me. I remember each year thinking that..this year we're going to be 10-6 and make the playoffs. Then, reality hit me like

an asteroid and I remember thinking more as a critic, and judging for myself, exactly what has transpired, and how it will affect the team in the upcoming season. I admire your optimism! I applaud it! and wish I continue to stand behind it!, but as long as the Bills stink! which last year they did, and the year before, and the year before, and the year before etc....

then I don't want the Bills to lay back and think that it is acceptable as another body goes through the turnstyle and into their seat! I think that is exactly what is happening, I believe that is what they want, and as long as you support mediocrity (you the fan...not u personally) then you get exactly what you asked for! I want and expect 100% effort level and their

are plenty of players who remain on this roster that can not look you in the eye and say that they don't take plays off!, that

they give up prior to the completion of a play. I watched a few games from last year over again, and watched players give up on many plays prematurely, players standing and watching the play. You would never catch Don Beebe doing that, even Takeo Spikes was a hard worker when I replayed games he played, Chris Spielman was the same way. These are high motor players, character players who cared! Those are the kind of players that we need on this team, and maybe? we got some of those in the off-season, we'll see...but besides Fred Jackson, and Jairus Byrd I didn't see too much else going on unless you want to count the kickers too? 2010 B.Bills season record: 5-11 :P

...but as long as I maintain good discretion of the use of language, and don't call "you" the poster anything cruel, then I also

will continue the same freedom of blogging my opinion as freely as I intend without acknowledging your suggestion of

blogging somewhere else...

:P

Keep posting.

...but as long as I maintain good discretion of the use of language, and don't call "you" the poster anything cruel, then I also

Keep posting.

Thanks, I needed that! :wallbash:

Keep posting.

Just noticed...over 28 Thousand posts!!! I salute you :wallbash: