Stop the Orakpo Comparisons

JPS

Brian Orakpo played LINEBACKER last year on a team devoid of linebackers. Aaron Maybin's bosses put him at DEFENSIVE END on a team with veteran defensive ends. Orakpo probably would have had similar production on the Bills as the coach was trying to save his job.

Another interesting Orakpo stat: He had 8 or so of his 11 sacks against the likes of Oakland, Tampa, KC and Detroit with NO sacks and about 8 total tackles in 6 games against the NFC EAST. To compare Maybin's '09 season to Orakpo is like comparing Malcolm Jenkins to Jairus Byrd.

Brian Orakpo played LINEBACKER last year on a team devoid of linebackers. Aaron Maybin's bosses put him at DEFENSIVE END on a team with veteran defensive ends. Orakpo probably would have had similar production on the Bills as the coach was trying to save his job.

Another interesting Orakpo stat: He had 8 or so of his 11 sacks against the likes of Oakland, Tampa, KC and Detroit with NO sacks and about 8 total tackles in 6 games against the NFC EAST. To compare Maybin's '09 season to Orakpo is like comparing Malcolm Jenkins to Jairus Byrd.

Denial isn't just a river in egypt I see.

Another interesting stat: Maybin had ZERO sacks against the entire schedule last year.

You need to be ignored or mocked. Some things are so obvious that they should be dismissed out of hand. Your topic falls in that ignominious category. :thumbsup:

Another interesting stat: Maybin had ZERO sacks against the entire schedule last year.

If Maybin had zero sacks then why was he always hooting and hollering and dancing around after he came up late to the play when it was over? Maybe he is a clown and likes to entertain the massess. He certainly isn't make plays!

It seems a lot of the criticism leveled at Maybin related not only to his performance, but also his lack of size. Maybe it is a bit unfair to compare the two based on performance since they played different positions last year. But no Maybin supporter can deny that Orakpo just looks the part, moreso than Maybin. Some posters (not me) even think Maybin's too light to play 3-4 OLB.

Regardless, this season we will be able to compare the two, and I think Orakpo will still outperform him.

Plus, for a guy drafted as high as Maybin was, I don't care where he played on the defense, his TOTAL lack of production last year was unacceptable. High first round picks should be able to contribute at least a little right away.

Another interesting Orakpo stat: He had 8 or so of his 11 sacks against the likes of Oakland, Tampa, KC and Detroit with NO sacks and about 8 total tackles in 6 games against the NFC EAST.

Wow, that sounds eerily similar to a certain PSU DE who padded his stats against the likes of Coastal Carolina and Syracuse.

Great point JPS. And yet that same coach who was fighting for his job chose him. Stupid, huh?

Are you Mr. Maybin or LaVar Arrington?

Orakpo played for a coach trying to save his job as well in Jim Zorn.....we need to stop making excuses for bad players....(Trent Edwards Aaron Maybin etc)

I am not defending Aaron Maybin, although I think he has to be better at LB. I am saying that it's ignorant to compare a LBs stat against a DE. Like you know Orakpo would have had 10 plus sacks on the Bills as a DE.

I truly apologize for pointing out your ignorance. Go on about your whining and bitching.

I don't ccare about Maybin's size, to a certain extent I don't even care that he didn't have flashy numbers, he's young, the team sucks, there's time for all that.

What i do care about is the number of times he got absolutely manhandled.

Not only hasn't he made an impact, he doesn't look like he even belongs on the field.

I am not defending Aaron Maybin, although I think he has to be better at LB. I am saying that it's ignorant to compare a LBs stat against a DE. Like you know Orakpo would have had 10 plus sacks on the Bills as a DE.

I truly apologize for pointing out your ignorance. Go on about your whining and bitching.

He doesn't need to have 10 sacks asa Bills DE, only one

You're the one doing the whining and bitching.

Maybin was pathetic last year. Orakpo was not pathetic.

Maybin had zero sacks and barely saw the field in 09. You can't defend that so I'm glad you're not trying. :thumbsup:

If you still can't come to terms with it being a mistake to pick Maybin over Orakpo then I got nothing for you.

I'm having a very difficult time finding any holes in the above argument. Maybe A. Maybin becomes the next C. Bennett, but, um....I think I"m with Dr. Fong on this.

So what you're saying is that we should stop the Orakpo comparison's to Maybin, because after comparing them, you've found that there's no comparison? And if anyone disagrees with your comparison they're ignorant? I think you picked the wrong avenue to make statements you don't want anyone to respond to. You might even say, that's ignorant of you.

It seems a lot of the criticism leveled at Maybin related not only to his performance, but also his lack of size. Maybe it is a bit unfair to compare the two based on performance since they played different positions last year. But no Maybin supporter can deny that Orakpo just looks the part, moreso than Maybin. Some posters (not me) even think Maybin's too light to play 3-4 OLB.

Regardless, this season we will be able to compare the two, and I think Orakpo will still outperform him.

Plus, for a guy drafted as high as Maybin was, I don't care where he played on the defense, his TOTAL lack of production last year was unacceptable. High first round picks should be able to contribute at least a little right away.

+1

The hold out is really what started the loathing. Not only was he clearly not the best 'Tweener on the board at #11, he held out to get paid like he was picked #10 then looked horrible on the field the few times the coaches could let him get on the field.

I've said in the past if you put Orakpo and Mapbi in cage together and only 1 could leave; Its pretty clear who would win. (playing DE has alot to do with hand to hand combat.) It was just a plainly obvious h.orrible pick and the comparisons to Orakpo will always happen with Maybi throught his career. Maybe Maybi can use that as motivation. Most likely he'll just stare at himself in the mirror while tweeting

Don't forget that Orakpo actually DID PLAY DE! He wasn't converted to LB until week 5 or 6.

If Maybi was any good, and gave the Bills a chance to win, a coach that is trying to save his job would put him on the field.

Maybi has alot of growing up to do. I'm hoping atleast 15 pounds to be exact.

The Bills knew the guy was a project and a one trick pony, he had one move and that was run the arc, If a linemen got his hands on him he was done, he only played one year at Penn St and the world knew he was a developmental pick that "might" be good in a year or two.

Lets not forget that all the posters in this forum wanted a DE that year and everyone was gushing about his speed and how that can't be taught. Now all you guys want to do is piss and moan about him...give him another year and see if he does develop.

500 posts and you've learned nothing! Maybin deservedly gets no love here. He did NOTHING last year regardless of where he played. If he played Orakpo's postion he would still do nothing. He was awesome at celebrating after jumping on a pile. Anytime the camera may have been on him he waived his hands hoping somebody would think he did a good job. He was absolutely terrible lst year and got beat out for OLB by a backup safety-no pride or talent!

Can he redem himself? Yes if he earns a starting job and plays well. I understand he should never have been picked so high, but when he got his shots he sucked.

Comparing positions is hard. But both were taken because in college they got to the quarterback. No matter where they were on the field, Orakpo did and Maybin did not. When Maybin got his shot at OLB he got beat out by a back up safety.

Funny, I always compared him to Oher, who the Bills could/should have picked ahead of Orapko or Maybin. Bills pass rush/pressures were not that bad last year without Maybin. LT was a disaster.

I'm also having a hard time finding any holes in this statement. What could have been................

Okay, I give up. Maybin is a career failure after his 50 snaps at the wrong position and Orakpo is the better than LT.

The most sane thing said above was we should have picked Oher. That need screamed way louder than the need for either of the above. Anyhoo, it's better that talking about 1991, Chan Gailey's barber or the merits of picking up Jamarcus Russell.

Thank you for entertaining my thought. Resume hysteria.

I'm also having a hard time finding any holes in this statement. What could have been................

Are you aware that if we would have drafted Oher last year this year we wouldn't have any Gaither threads on TSW? How disapointing would that be? :thumbsup:

I partly agree with what you're saying, but none of the circumstancial evidence you cite makes the little Maybin did look any better. I do think it's a joke that people thought Orakpo deserved the DROY more than Byrd.

Wow, that sounds eerily similar to a certain PSU DE who padded his stats against the likes of Coastal Carolina and Syracuse.

Great point JPS. And yet that same coach who was fighting for his job chose him. Stupid, huh?

This is what maeks me crazy about the Maybin pick. Why the hell don't you take the guy with better production? DJ needs to save his job by putting together at least a middling but competitive season. He needs more out of the pass rush. First everyone says Orakpo won't be there when we pick, so we're probably stuck with Maybin or one of the other guys that really didn't do anything. Orakpo falls into their laps, with solid college production, no major issues (outside of the quietly stated and possibly overrated work ethic issues) and they don't take him. In hindsight it seems typical of the entire DJ era - basically a blind squirrel looking for a nut.

Funny, I always compared him to Oher, who the Bills could/should have picked ahead of Orapko or Maybin. Bills pass rush/pressures were not that bad last year without Maybin. LT was a disaster.

With the sorry strength and conditioning staff that watched the Bills entire OL deplete last year, who's to say that Oher wouldn't have likewise fallen victim to the injury bug. That is about the best I can do in terms of playing devil's advocate, as Oher definitely should have been the choice. Sad that the Bills so often buck conventional wisdom and do things that baffle us all.

By the same token, I don't want to dismiss Maybin just yet. After year one, the Redskins certainly look to be the winners in the Orakpo/Maybin sweepstakes. But that is after just a single year. Remember also that Maybin was a holdout, who missed virtually all of training camp last year. (Don't get me started on the need for slotting rookie salaries.) Maybin does have some skills -- as well as a freakish first step that can't be taught. The trouble is that last year, that quick jump was a non-factor as savvy offensive linemen just pushed him out of the play. It will be interesting to see how he performs this year given a full off-season and new coaching staff.

Maybin was a huge reach- a guy who is not ready to contribute at a high level now but may have that potential- guys like that are 2nd or 3rd rounders at best- Maybin has a similar build to Manny Lawson but he's a tad smaller and no where near the athlete that Lawson is- and I would argue that Lawson was a huge reach at the 22nd pick in the first round.

Talking with S&C coach...

S&C: Yeah, look how shiny the equipment is. The guys were just in here polishing this here thingie. Points to rack of weights.

Guest: Polishing? Don't you mean lifting?

S&C: Puzzled furrow on brow. Lifting? These thingies cost money. We want to keep them like new, not drop 'em and bust 'em! They're heavy after all.

Okay, I give up. Maybin is a career failure after his 50 snaps at the wrong position and Orakpo is the better than LT.

The most sane thing said above was we should have picked Oher. That need screamed way louder than the need for either of the above. Anyhoo, it's better that talking about 1991, Chan Gailey's barber or the merits of picking up Jamarcus Russell.

Thank you for entertaining my thought. Resume hysteria.

Your right, and when your right your right.

Maybin's stats do compare more favorably to Oher's. Maybin allowed 0 sacks last year, he is a success!!!

All I have to say about Orakpo is that everyone on this board, who said to never draft another Texas Longhorn, was 100% right. Just like Cedric Griffin, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Vince Young...... er.... um.... wait.