OK all BS aside, what about this team?

ICE

i don't think henry will be traded. his value has gone down significantly (history of leg injuries, poor performance early this year) and the bills won't be able to get enough in a trade for it to make sense. i see henry coming back as the backup for one more season, then hitting the FA market in 2006. i don't believe he will be a distraction -- how can the guy question mcgahee's productivity?

now, if some stupid GM happens to throw out a ridiculous offer like a #2 for henry, all bets are off and i'd say make the deal. but i just don't see that happening.

Followed by...

ICE, you're unreal.  Do you think by now there's anyone who doesn't know what your opinion of the QB situation is, anyway?

140386[/snapback]

Hey !@#$, did I rip anyone? No so STFU.

ICE, it seems you have some optimism for this team. It's nice to finally enjoy watching the Bills again, isn't it. Would it be possible to find the post you made at the beginning of the season when you talked to Donahoe at the Ralph? I remember him saying that by the end of the season the O-Line would come together. Seems he's right. If this team could go 10 - 6 this year, what are the chances of playoffs?

ICE, it seems you have some optimism for this team.  It's nice to finally enjoy watching the Bills again, isn't it.  Would it be possible to find the post you made at the beginning of the season when you talked to Donahoe at the Ralph?  I remember him saying that by the end of the season the O-Line would come together.  Seems he's right.  If this team could go 10 - 6 this year, what are the chances of playoffs?

140661[/snapback]

Honestly brother, next to none. Had we droped 2 of those losses to NFC Teams then we had a shot. Baltimore and Jacksonville now appear to have been must wins. We would be 7-4 and tiebreakers over those two. In fact Baltimore would be 6-5 and a game behind us as well. Two early wins and we are sitting in the drivers seat for a playoff spot.

Honestly brother, next to none. Had we droped 2 of those losses to NFC Teams then we had a shot. Baltimore and Jacksonville now appear to have been must wins. We would be 7-4 and tiebreakers over those two. In fact Baltimore would be 6-5 and a game behind us as well. Two early wins and we are sitting in the drivers seat for a playoff spot.

140666[/snapback]

Wishful thinking on my part, I guess. But at least I can watch the Bills without turning off the tube halfway through the game. With all the parity in the league there should be 7 playoff teams. I mean, the Bills are at 15 at some power rankings and there not even playoff contenders. That's sad. I'm really starting to like this team.

My suggestions would include: Dominant LT or at least one that can stay healthy. Dominant Pass rusher, LG, TE.

I didn't doubt that we had talent. I did not think we played well at all through the first part of the season. And I believe a lot of the blame belonged to MM. The Bills are playing VERY well right now. Its quite late in the season, but the credit for the excellent play belongs to MM. Things are going to be interesting now and the rest of the season. As long as we are still in the playoff hunt, I can't imagine we would change qaurterbacks, and the Travis-Willis dispute has pretty well been put to rest. Let's see what happens in the next three games. We could very well be in the hunt for a playoff berth...long shot...but there is always hope. Until we lose another game at least.

Actually Pitt is winning with Roth at QB.  Difference there.  You do realize that they have about 50 more yards passing than rushing with a ~1.75:1 run:pass ratio...

140430[/snapback]

Actually, Pitssburgh is winning with a very good running game and defense. Roethlisberger had a good stretch of games through New England and Philly, but hasn't really sparkled at all since. Jerome Bettis and Pittsburgh's defense is carrying them right now.

Regardless, my vote at QB, pending the run we're on continues, would be to let there be competition for the starting spot next year.  I know Drew would handle it well either way, it's a matter of whether Losman steps up.  Obviously, if the seasons ends up with "2003 Drew" at the helm," then it's Losman's job to lose.

140430[/snapback]

I'd still hesitate to give the job to JP, even if Drew regresses. I think the only way JP should get a shot at the starting job is if Drew is hurt or plays the remainder of the year like he did against New England. At this point, it looks like the offense is coming together (including Drew), so why change that at all for next year? Presuming the same personnel is still there, I see no reason to change the starting QB.

ICE, I have to admit that I agree with most of your assessments about the Bills now and in the future. I do have to chime in though on just a couple of thoughts.

The OL is actually looking fairly solid the last 7 weeks and whoever said that we should look at getting a new Center is out of their mind IMO. Here are a few telling stats for the last 7 games:

MIA, 1 sack 8 yards 137 rushing yards W

BAL, 4 sacks 18 yards 85 rushing yards L

AZ, 0 sacks 128 rushing yards W

NYJ, 0 sacks 157 rushing yards W

NE, 3 sacks 6 yards 50 rushing yards L

STL, 1 sack 10 yards 119 rushing yards W

SEA, 1 sack 6 yards 148 rushing yards W

Of all those games, the Bal and NE games gave up the most sacks and were losses but not necessarily contributing completely. Teague was also healthy for the last handful of those games which helped considerably.

I don't agree with the TE situation because the game planning obviously hasn't included the TE much and Euhus is still somewhat unproven.

I'm not sure if I agree with your assessment of Vincent at CB since he has been injured, which BTW is not the norm for him. He has proven until this year that he can stay healthy. Once he comes back, we might be able to determine if he should be the starter and slide McGee back to nickel to improve the coverage.

Pat Williams should stay put! Top DL are very hard to come by and he and Adams have a unique bond between them. Edwards provides quality depth which is a bonus.

Moulds' contract does need to be reworked!

QB: Though we all know your stance on DB, I don't think it's fair to always use JP in the same sentence as Ben R. He is in a rather unique situation in Pittsburgh where there is a pretty damn good team around him and all he has to do is not lose. If you look at his stats, he is mediocre or just a little above, which could be said for most QB's in this league. Brian Griese has better stats than him but the Bucs suck as a whole. Eli is doing nothing in NY, Boller blows in Bal and Palmer is just starting to look like a decent QB, now in the tail end of his second year. To think that JP is the next coming by comparing his situation to BR's is laughable. Besides the fact that he hasn't been able to practice much this season is even more reason to let him watch and learn until it's necessary to put him in, not before.

My opinion on the Bills is that they have a rookie coach with a new offensive system. The team is just now starting to gel and we are finally seeing what we hoped to have seen earlier in the year. Injuries and the learning curve has hampered the growth of this team until now. Let the last few weeks play out and I think we will all be happy with the results. If they don't make the playoffs, look at it as a lessoned learned for a rookie head coach with a whole new offensive staff.

"don't agree with the TE situation because the game planning obviously hasn't included the TE much and Euhus is still somewhat unproven."

I don't think they have been involved that much because the coaching staff knows they don't have that #1 TE. Honestly we have 3 #2's or so. I have felt for years that we are missing a great TE. You want to see the blitz back off and Moulds/Evans get more open. Get a damn good TE in there and see what happens <_<

"I'm not sure if I agree with your assessment of Vincent at CB since he has been injured, which BTW is not the norm for him. He has proven until this year that he can stay healthy."

Seriously brother, check with Eagles fans. This guy has missed a ton of games. Being hurt IS the norm for him.

"Pat Williams should stay put! Top DL are very hard to come by and he and Adams have a unique bond between them. Edwards provides quality depth which is a bonus."

Pat is a FA. Edwards has blown people up when in there. It is edwards time. Some say we will drop off when he is in there. I don't think so. I think he is finally ready to take over the job. Have you noticed that now Sam rushes the passer and Pat holds ground on the run? That to me is the most telling sign it's time to move on.

Actually, Pitssburgh is winning with a very good running game and defense. Roethlisberger had a good stretch of games through New England and Philly, but hasn't really sparkled at all since. Jerome Bettis and Pittsburgh's defense is carrying them right now.

140712[/snapback]

Offensively that was my point. Roth is not leading that offense, he is participating in it, and benefitting from it. The 50 yard diff between passing and running yards is atypical. Even our "power running game," which has slightly more runs than passes, has a 700 yard difference between passing and running yards...

And my bottom line on Losman is let the coaches decide the means to best win them games in the long run...

Hey !@#$, did I rip anyone? No so STFU.

140657[/snapback]

Ooooh...someone's touchy today. Mama forget to change your diaper this morning?

Just thought the "You'll notice I didn't mention this...so let me spend four whole paragraphs repeating what I've spent about a hundred posts on already" thing was pretty funny, is all. But since you want to get all bitchy about it...it's also absolutely typical of your "I love listening to my own voice" mentality...

I'd still hesitate to give the job to JP, even if Drew regresses. I think the only way JP should get a shot at the starting job is if Drew is hurt or plays the remainder of the year like he did against New England. At this point, it looks like the offense is coming together (including Drew), so why change that at all for next year? Presuming the same personnel is still there, I see no reason to change the starting QB.

140712[/snapback]

is that Jimbo in your avatar? Do you have a larger picture of that? That was a great day

I'll say this much, 6-7 weeks ago it was a given I was dropping my season tickets. And I split them with someone this year, first time I ever did that. I was just thinking about it Tuesday after the Seattle win, and I was like, no I'm not dropping, and I'm not splitting either in 2005. I feel good about the future, although QB can really mix up that future

don't think they have been involved that much because the coaching staff knows they don't have that #1 TE. Honestly we have 3 #2's or so.  I have felt for years that we are missing a great TE. You want to see the blitz back off and Moulds/Evans get more open. Get a damn good TE in there and see what happens  :lol:

"I'm not sure if I agree with your assessment of Vincent at CB since he has been injured, which BTW is not the norm for him. He has proven until this year that he can stay healthy."

Pat is a FA. Edwards has blown people up when in there. It is edwards time. Some say we will drop off when he is in there. I don't think so. I think he is finally ready to take over the job.  Have you noticed that now Sam rushes the passer and Pat holds ground on the run?  That to me is the most telling sign it's time to move on.

140795[/snapback]

TE- I agree that the Bills have not yet had sufficient production at TE, I just disagree that this will be a priority area for the Bills to spend resources on in the draft, FA or trades unless the prefect TE is available for next to nothing in price. If you know some specific target by name I'm all eyes. Instead, i think the Bills will explore and MM will try to use his TE experience to develop Euhus (who they believe in and I doubt have given up on), Campbell (who has done all he can do in my view in terms of development but the braintrust will hang their hat on his stand-out game against StL), and Peters who has speed and soft hands and they are desperately emphasizing improving his blocking and brainpower (forgetting to declare his number Sunday was typical of his rep). My guess TE investment if it happens will be for another low cost project rather than it being a top priority.

CB- cutting Vincent will result in a cap hit for Vincent who was signed to a multi-year deal and given this cost and the fact that we still have DB need I do not see this happening. McGee is a great Bill, but first because of ST talent and second because he is an INT looking guy (2 INTs which ties for team lead and 1 fumble recovered) on a team which desperately needs to increase turnover creation. However, this comes at a cost of him getting burned at least once a game big time (or for the entire game as he was against Santana Moss). McGee will get better with time but he is far from the lockdown corner we are looking for.

If McGee should develop, the logical move is to put Vincent at FS. First.Baker has been great but 2 good games are too early to declare him the FS we want and need. Opposing players now have some tape on him and will more directly try to exploit weaknesses in his game and how he deals with this will tell a lot of the tale. Vincent may have a rep as injury prone among your buddies, but he clearly had a rep which earned him multiple Pro Bowl starts and stats as opportunistic om INTs that are simply the fact and at worst should not be overlooked because of your buddie's opinions. His rep, the cap costs and our likely needs at FS or CB make him a Bill next year.

DT- Edwards simply has not done the job as a starter since he was drafted (hi first year he didn't even do the job as a player and was mostly inactive despite the Bills havinf gaping holes at DT with super sub Sean Moran pressed into a starting role he could not fill. Rather than deeming Edwards as a starting talent based on some great play as a sub this year, I'm afraid that this performance may have as much to do with him knowing that he had to allocate his energy and effort over a 10 plays a game rather than 30. Until we see him in a full game there is no good reason to assume that his great play as a sub translates into adequate play as a starter. The Bills may still be forced to let PW walk because I don't think an older player is worth mortgaging our cap on. However, if this is the case, i think we fall back on the hope that early draft pick Tim Anderson can step up (unfortunately I see nothing from him as a reserve and hear nothing out of practice that this is the case) and start or more likely that he and Edwards can split the role so Edwards allocates his energy and effort over playing 50% of the game rather than 80% of the game.

I dont think that they lose much now when Edwards comes in, let alone next season when PW is a year older and RE is a year more experienced.

PW makes big dollars, and it remains to be seen exactly what he would command from other teams.

As far as him being 1/4 of the reason our defense is so good, that is a bit of a stretch, wouldn't you say?  :lol:

140390[/snapback]

Agreed, I'd say he is 1/11th the reason why our defense is so good. Ron Edwards is a much better pass rusher than Phat Pat is. He will command double teams just the same and our defense shouldn't drop off. Especially with the much smarter and much bigger Vincent starting at FS next year. Vincent is hurt yes, if he is hurt again for this amount of time- cut his ars. Until then I'd like to see one of the best corners over the last decade move to FS. It has worked for many cb, plus vincent was a better cb than most who have succesfully made the transition.

Agreed, I'd say he is 1/11th the reason why our defense is so good.  Ron Edwards is a much better pass rusher than Phat Pat is.  He will command double teams just the same and our defense shouldn't drop off. 

141621[/snapback]

But will he be if he's out there everydown instead of coming off the bench as a situational? You can never have enough competent big guys, as has been evidenced throughout the history of the game.

Pat can come back at a reasonable salary.