Players most likely to be cut after this season if they underperform?

Obviously we could state that at least 2 of the 4 QB's are going to be under the knife depending on how they perform but outside of the QB's who do you think will have their last season as a Bill if they do not show that they can produce this year?Also who would you see as the biggest surprise player this year for the Bills?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously we could state that at least 2 of the 4 QB's are going to be under the knife depending on how they perform but outside of the QB's who do you think will have their last season as a Bill if they do not show that they can produce this year?Also who would you see as the biggest surprise player this year for the Bills?

i see mitchell under the gun , especially if batten and moats show anything! as for a surprise, (if you assume spiller delivers) will be steve johnson. just a thought, nothing earth shattering, i know.

i see mitchell under the gun , especially if batten and moats show anything! as for a surprise, (if you assume spiller delivers) will be steve johnson. just a thought, nothing earth shattering, i know.

I was actually posing this question with Mitchell in mind considering he's been sub par even before the injury and how he's going to fit into the new D is another issue. They could also cut ties to Maybin if he just can't swing the speed of the pro game. If our D-Coordinator can actually get us to even 20-25th in the league on D overall I'd be amazed. Considering it's a new system and the players are mostly starting from scratch learning a new scheme 20 would be a miracle. Not to be a downer but there is more than a small chance that we could move backwards from last year in the standings.

I was actually posing this question with Mitchell in mind considering he's been sub par even before the injury and how he's going to fit into the new D is another issue. They could also cut ties to Maybin if he just can't swing the speed of the pro game. If our D-Coordinator can actually get us to even 20-25th in the league on D overall I'd be amazed. Considering it's a new system and the players are mostly starting from scratch learning a new scheme 20 would be a miracle. Not to be a downer but there is more than a small chance that we could move backwards from last year in the standings.

i think they will give maybins every chance to make an impact. but as the previous poster said, john mccargo is certainly suspect!

I look at the defense in 3 phases, pass rush, run defense and pass defense. Last year, only the pass defense was good, which ranked at #2 allowing 184.2 ypg. The overall defense ranked at #19 due to the #30 ranked run defense, which gave up 156.3 ypg, which included 3 teams rushing over 200 yards against us and one (Jets) rushed for over 300 yards against us. With bigger bodies on defense, the run defense has nowhere to go but up. With switching to the 3-4, the DB's go from playing zone coverage (in the Tampon 2) to man coverage, so there could be some drop off in pass defense, but I don't see a drastic change. The big questions on defense will be how effective of a pass rush can the defense create and how will our OLB's perform. Overall, I can see the defense ranking in the top 15 by the end of the season.

Last year, our offense was a disaster and finished at #30. With the firings of Schonert & Walker 10 days before the start of the season, Van Pelt thrown to the fire as OC 10 days before the season, 20 players on IR, the revolving door at QB, the HC gets canned midway through the season, it's amazing that the Bills finished at 6-10, instead of 2-14 or worse. IMO, the Bills have nowhere to go but up. Gailey & his staff plan to build around their players strengths, instead of trying to "pigeon hole" them into a system (borrowed that from Chris Brown), which was something the Dick & co didn't do.

Kind of hard to do without knowing how much money these players are due this year and next. Someone like Stroud who signed a big contract extension 2 years ago might stick around if most of the money has already been paid. If he's owed $6-7m each the next 2 years, you probably don't keep him unless he suddenly becomes an excellent defensive end. Kelsay, Spencer Johnson, and Mitchell fall in the same boat in terms of how much money is owed them this year and next. I think Maybin gets at least another year, considering he only played 2 years in college and is still very young.

We will start cutting ties with recent lousy draft picks like Hardly, Maybinot and Chris Worthliss.

I think Maybin will be given at least one more, if not two years to produce, he was a high draft pick and we've invested money in him...Hardy however, if he does lousy in the preseason, I have little doubt he will be gone.

I look at the defense in 3 phases, pass rush, run defense and pass defense. Last year, only the pass defense was good, which ranked at #2 allowing 184.2 ypg. The overall defense ranked at #19 due to the #30 ranked run defense, which gave up 156.3 ypg, which included 3 teams rushing over 200 yards against us and one (Jets) rushed for over 300 yards against us. With bigger bodies on defense, the run defense has nowhere to go but up. With switching to the 3-4, the DB's go from playing zone coverage (in the Tampon 2) to man coverage, so there could be some drop off in pass defense, but I don't see a drastic change. The big questions on defense will be how effective of a pass rush can the defense create and how will our OLB's perform. Overall, I can see the defense ranking in the top 15 by the end of the season.

Last year, our offense was a disaster and finished at #30. With the firings of Schonert & Walker 10 days before the start of the season, Van Pelt thrown to the fire as OC 10 days before the season, 20 players on IR, the revolving door at QB, the HC gets canned midway through the season, it's amazing that the Bills finished at 6-10, instead of 2-14 or worse. IMO, the Bills have nowhere to go but up. Gailey & his staff plan to build around their players strengths, instead of trying to "pigeon hole" them into a system (borrowed that from Chris Brown), which was something the Dick & co didn't do.

Mike I want to be Positive about our Bills and trust me I've spent year after year never giving up hope that we'll return to greatness soon but soon seems like it's been going on for a long time. In no way am i a fair weather fan but it's made me into a bit of a realist. I do agree that more problems need addressing on offense then on defense but just out of curiousity to ask you to be realistic, where do you see them record wise this year and at what place in the division.

Personally me, I think they're lucky to win 2 games this year in the division (1 to Miami and 1 to NE cause they'll have clinched a spot in the playoffs by then). I think the Jets are on the rise as well as Miami. Overall we're a 6-10 team this year. We can beat the Jags , KC , Chicago and Detroit but everything else is questionable and I'm thinking even those will be tight games.

it's amazing that the Bills finished at 6-10, instead of 2-14 or worse. IMO, the Bills have nowhere to go but up.

This doesn't add up. After 4 years of Jauron, the team was well suited to play his style-less brand of football, which has proven over time to eek out 5-8 wins with an average team bereft of stars and leadership. There is worse than 6-10; so, your point refutes itself.

It wouldn't surprise me one iota if this team does get worse before it gets better. It's going to take time to develop the new defense. You don't just insert a NT, switch to the 3-4, add hot water, and, bam!, have a great run defense. Furthermore, the offense is, hopefully, going to have its pacifier and diaper removed as well. That is a great thing and long overdue. But, it's not clear at all that none of the problems with last year's team involved the players.

Roscoe Parrish, Chris Kelsay, John McCargo.

That's assuming they make this years roster. I can't see Mcargo making the 53 man roster and if Roscoe's attitude is not improved with the new regime, he could be cut too. I wont be shocked if Kelsay dosent start in the new scheme and his salary is too high to sit the bench.

That's assuming they make this years roster. I can't see Mcargo making the 53 man roster and if Roscoe's attitude is not improved with the new regime, he could be cut too. I wont be shocked if Kelsay dosent start in the new scheme and his salary is too high to sit the bench.

I agree, I doubt these guys will make the final cut.

Mike I want to be Positive about our Bills and trust me I've spent year after year never giving up hope that we'll return to greatness soon but soon seems like it's been going on for a long time. In no way am i a fair weather fan but it's made me into a bit of a realist. I do agree that more problems need addressing on offense then on defense but just out of curiousity to ask you to be realistic, where do you see them record wise this year and at what place in the division.

Personally me, I think they're lucky to win 2 games this year in the division (1 to Miami and 1 to NE cause they'll have clinched a spot in the playoffs by then). I think the Jets are on the rise as well as Miami. Overall we're a 6-10 team this year. We can beat the Jags , KC , Chicago and Detroit but everything else is questionable and I'm thinking even those will be tight games.

In a previous post, I said 11-5, but I'll break down every game:

09/12 MIAMI DOLPHINS - W - People forget that the Bills beat the Phins 31-14 last season. IMO, the Phins don't have a good QB.

09/19 @ Green Bay Packers - L

09/26 @ New England Patriots - L - game could go either way

10/03 NEW YORK JETS 1:00 pm - L - if it's bad weather, the Bills could win since Sanchez is a warm weather QB

10/10 JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS W

10/17 BYE

10/24 @ Baltimore Ravens L

10/31 @ Kansas City Chiefs W

11/07 CHICAGO BEARS (Toronto) W - game could go either way

11/14 DETROIT LIONS W

11/21 @ Cincinnati Bengals W - game could go either way, the Bills have had the Bengals number for years now, plus the Bengals did not look good the last few games of the year last year

11/28 PITTSBURGH STEELERS W - game could go either way, but with all the problems the Steelers had in the offseason with Rapelisberger, trading Santonio Holmes & losing Limas Sweed for the season, I think the Bills win this one

12/05 @ Minnesota Vikings 1:00 pm W if Favre doesn't play, L is Favre plays

12/12 CLEVELAND BROWNS 1:00 pm W

12/19 @ Miami Dolphins 1:00 pm L - game could go either way, but at least it's not blazing hot down in South Florida like it is in September

12/26 NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS W game could go either way

01/02 @ New York Jets W - Sanchez is a California QB that struggled in the bad NJ weather last year when the Bills beat the Jets

I'm hoping for 11-5, but realisticly I can see the Bills finishing 9-7 and getting a wild card berth.

Well if Maybin can't even get on the field in 2010 he's going to be on a REAL short leash come 2011, wouldn't surprise me if he's cut during camp in 2011.

If Hardy can't get on the field in 2010 I think he WILL be cut in 2010 offseason.

I think its even money as to whether John McCargo will even be on the roster for 2010.

if Trent continues being Trent he definitely won't be back in 2011.

Roscoe Parrish, Chris Kelsay, John McCargo.

I think Roscoe might make it because we lack experience at WR.

Kelsay may not fit into the 3-4. If he gets cut he will be snapped up in a hurry.

McCargo shows nothing and I don't see him playing the 3-4 at any position.