Smerlas nominated to run for Congress

Uhh, sorry to burst your bubble, but he's running in WNY against Louise Slaughter as per the article--carpetbagger anyone?

Ooops - my bad. Guess maybe I should have read the article before spouting off....

NAH!!!!! They're* still a bunch of assclowns out there in BeanTown*, and Smerlas is near the top of the assclown list.

Too bad they nominated that a-hole - Slaughter has one of the lowest ratings of all 435 U.S. Representatives, and the Republicans could had probably taken that seat had they nominated someone of substance.

Anyway, the carpetbagger label is probably appropriate - as it was with uber-carpetbagger/opportunist Hillary Clinton (from Illinois and Arkansas), and as it is with Ms. Slaughter herself (from Kentucky) - since, unlike Jack French Kemp, Smerlas never put down roots here and has had nothing to do with the area (other than calling in to a radio show to rag on the Bills once a week) since his playing days ended.

Uhh, sorry to burst your bubble, but he's running in WNY against Louise Slaughter as per the article--carpetbagger anyone?

Which is exactly what Slaughter was when she ran for Barber Conable's seat.

You ever hear her speak? She still hasn't lost that Kentucky twang.

Carpetbaggers: Robert Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Louise Slaughter, Harold Ford Jr.

Carpetbaggers: Robert Kennedy, Hillary Clinton, Louise Slaughter, Harold Ford Jr.

From Wikipedia:

"After graduate school, she went to work for a major chemicals manufacturer doing market research. While traveling for work, she met Bob Slaughter, in San Antonio, Texas, and later married him. After marrying, the couple moved to Fairport, New York, a suburb of Rochester, where Bob had been offered a job. However, to this day, Slaughter still speaks with a pronounced Kentucky accent. They have three daughters Megan, Amy and Robin."

Sounds to me like she came to WNY as young adult well before running for office, so I wouldn't call her a carpetbagger. I agree with you on Kennedy and Clinton (and Ford, had he decided to run).

Slaughter moved to Fairport soon after she and her husband married. Over 50 years ago. She was elected to the Monroe County legislature in 1975, 20 years after she moved to Fairport. She ran for the House in 1982, almost 30 years after she moved.

How exactly can you call her a carpetbagger?

Have you listened to Louise's accent? And you are calling Smerlas a carpetbagger?

My sister worked one year for Louise. When her friend had worked for her long enough to require more than the minimum wage, she was laid-off. Anybody else would be change I can believe in.

Have you listened to Louise's accent? And you are calling Smerlas a carpetbagger?

My sister worked one year for Louise. When her friend had worked for her long enough to require more than the minimum wage, she was laid-off. Anybody else would be change I can believe in.

yea, jack kemp was born and raised here!, who cares, slaughter has been in office too long! all the people that B word and complain about washington, well she is the poster child!.. an old comfortable incumbent ,..kick her a$$ fred!

Mentioned this to a colleague, and we started talking about the 9-6 win over the Jets in 1988, where Smerlas blocked a field goal in the last minute of the game. Colleague says he once saw a really cool photo of the block; I can't find one. If anyone knows where that image might reside on the internet, I'd really appreciate a link. Thanks in advance.