Poz Second Best At HIs Position In The League?

Here's the latest rankings on where various Bills stand overall in the league. Turns out that Schobel, Kyle Williams, Stroud and now Posluszny are very highly rated. What do you make of these rankings?

Poz’s playmaking right up there

By Chris Brown - Posted May 12, 2010 – 10:29 am

On Monday we showed how AdvancedNFLStats determined playmaking ability through new statistical models that measure WPA or positive win probability added and EPA or positive expected points added. Aaron Schobel and Kyle Williams were both among the best at their respective positions for the 2009 regular season. Buffalo’s middle and soon to be inside linebacker fared well at his position too.

“+WPA” and “+EPA” add up the value of every sack, interception, pass defense, forced fumble or recovery, and every tackle or assist that results in a setback for the offense. What these stats measure ultimately is playmaking ability.

Paul Posluszny (2.00) had the second highest WPA among linebackers for the 2009 regular season with only Lamarr Woodley (2.10)faring better than him.

In positive expected points added per game, Poz ranked third overall among linebackers finishing behind only Carolina’s Thomas Davis and Houston’s Brian Cushing.

Here’s the top 15 list of linebackers for this playmaking statistic. Not a bad showing by Pittsburgh linebackers with all four of their starters in the top 15 (Woodley, Harrison, Timmons and Farrior). It’s encouraging knowing Buffalo is moving to that scheme as well.

56-L.Woodley PIT

51-P.Posluszny BUF

51-J.Vilma NO

52-D.Harris NYJ

52-P.Willis SF

92-J.Harrison PIT

52-J.Beason CAR

52-R.Lewis BLT

59-L.Fletcher WAS

55-C.Session IND

58-G.Brackett IND

54-Ge.Hayes TB

94-L.Timmons PIT

93-A.Spencer DAL

51-J.Farrior PIT

Here's the link if you want it:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/12/p...right-up-there/

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the latest rankings on where various Bills stand overall in the league. Turns out that Schobel, Kyle Williams, Stroud and now Posluszny are very highly rated. What do you make of these rankings?

Poz’s playmaking right up there

By Chris Brown - Posted May 12, 2010 – 10:29 am

On Monday we showed how AdvancedNFLStats determined playmaking ability through new statistical models that measure WPA or positive win probability added and EPA or positive expected points added. Aaron Schobel and Kyle Williams were both among the best at their respective positions for the 2009 regular season. Buffalo’s middle and soon to be inside linebacker fared well at his position too.

“+WPA” and “+EPA” add up the value of every sack, interception, pass defense, forced fumble or recovery, and every tackle or assist that results in a setback for the offense. What these stats measure ultimately is playmaking ability.

Paul Posluszny (2.00) had the second highest WPA among linebackers for the 2009 regular season with only Lamarr Woodley (2.10)faring better than him.

In positive expected points added per game, Poz ranked third overall among linebackers finishing behind only Carolina’s Thomas Davis and Houston’s Brian Cushing.

Here’s the top 15 list of linebackers for this playmaking statistic. Not a bad showing by Pittsburgh linebackers with all four of their starters in the top 15 (Woodley, Harrison, Timmons and Farrior). It’s encouraging knowing Buffalo is moving to that scheme as well.

56-L.Woodley PIT

51-P.Posluszny BUF

51-J.Vilma NO

52-D.Harris NYJ

52-P.Willis SF

92-J.Harrison PIT

52-J.Beason CAR

52-R.Lewis BLT

59-L.Fletcher WAS

55-C.Session IND

58-G.Brackett IND

54-Ge.Hayes TB

94-L.Timmons PIT

93-A.Spencer DAL

51-J.Farrior PIT

Here's the link if you want it:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2010/05/12/p...right-up-there/

IMO are D is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The D was just on the field almost double the oposition. They were gassed by the 2nd half because the O could not sustain any drives to rest our D.

Plus if you knew that your offense was not going to help out what so ever...(score points, get a first down, hell even gain positive yards) would you bust your tail every play?

If you watched the games, do you really need some outside statistic to help you gauge Poz's value?

You're right. I don't need these stats to tell me he's good. I already know he is.

If you watched the games, do you really need some outside statistic to help you gauge Poz's value?

What you or I THINK about him is just that, what we think about him. What we have here is evidence that we're correct. More importantly, what this study does is evaluate his play relative to all others last season at his position.

What you or I THINK about him is just that, what we think about him. What we have here is evidence that we're correct. More importantly, what this study does is evaluate his play relative to all others last season at his position.

Where did those statistics prove he was too slow last year and helped significantly contribute to one of the worst run defenses in recent memory?

I'm glad this was posted; I was going to write something. What I'm encouraged about, and have mentioned previously, is that when you look at the lists that Kyle Williams, A. Shobel, Poz, (even Stroud) scored so high on, you might be quick to say they aren't very good indicators of real playing talent - but, just look at the lists and, basically, everyone other than the Bills players are the players you'd expect to see - it puts them right up there with the best in the league. I've felt that the Bills have recieved mostly only negative reviews, and are to this day dismissed as such a poorly run organization, one that is doomed to yet another year of failure. What these pundits and reporters don't see is that we've actually been adding talent for years - young talent - and what we're missing is the right coaches to mold it, to put it in the right situations, and the G.M. to have a vision of Identity and to continue to supply the right talent. Sure, we need a few O-lineman, and a QB. That's big. We could also use a dependable #2 WR and a legitimate TE. But what we have might be better than what is recognized - and the coaches have been saying that for a few months now - I know we've got to add more talent and it'll take time - but, I think we've got some names on our roster now that'll be recognized much more in a year or two.

No, but it helps to put things in perspective.

That being said, I'm not sure what these statistics really mean or how this ranking translates into winning/being good (probably not very well if we are on top of these defensive rankings). I couldn't really tell if they factor in times that these players were beat by the opposing teams, since all the article mentions are the plays made by these players, not those that were missed. There needs to be a way to examine the "impact" differential (meaning the good plays made versus the bad plays/missed plays) of a player with all plays weighted by importance and even eventual outcomes in the game considered. This is the only way to properly judge a player's worth.

This analysis seems to just say that of the positive plays MLBs made, Poz made a higher percentage of them per opportunity, which is essentially meaningless because no one cares and it has no obvious bearing on the win/loss column.

I'm glad this was posted; I was going to write something. What I'm encouraged about, and have mentioned previously, is that when you look at the lists that Kyle Williams, A. Shobel, Poz, (even Stroud) scored so high on, you might be quick to say they aren't very good indicators of real playing talent - but, just look at the lists and, basically, everyone other than the Bills players are the players you'd expect to see - it puts them right up there with the best in the league. I've felt that the Bills have recieved mostly only negative reviews, and are to this day dismissed as such a poorly run organization, one that is doomed to yet another year of failure. What these pundits and reporters don't see is that we've actually been adding talent for years - young talent - and what we're missing is the right coaches to mold it, to put it in the right situations, and the G.M. to have a vision of Identity and to continue to supply the right talent. Sure, we need a few O-lineman, and a QB. That's big. We could also use a dependable #2 WR and a legitimate TE. But what we have might be better than what is recognized - and the coaches have been saying that for a few months now - I know we've got to add more talent and it'll take time - but, I think we've got some names on our roster now that'll be recognized much more in a year or two.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/Enter.png

Anybody that does see Poz as one of the best ILBs dropping into pass coverage and fast is blinded the color of his skin. Poz is very fast and one of best tacklers in the NFL. Use objective observations and anyone can see this.

Do you confuse yourself, also?

Anybody that does see Poz as one of the best ILBs dropping into pass coverage and fast is blinded the color of his skin. Poz is very fast and one of best tacklers in the NFL. Use objective observations and anyone can see this.

I'm guessing somewhere along the way you forgot to add an "n't"

I agree if you watched the games you could see Poz is a very good MLB. The problem with hte defense was that we have NO offense.....if the defense was off the field for 5-6 more minutes a game do you think they would be better? Of course they would. They are certainly not blameless as they let up 3td downs too often but not being forced to keep your team in the game every game would have helped.

The best thing for a Bills defense is a great QB. Problem is we don't have one and I don't know when/where we'll get one.

I agree if you watched the games you could see Poz is a very good MLB. The problem with hte defense was that we have NO offense.....if the defense was off the field for 5-6 more minutes a game do you think they would be better? Of course they would. They are certainly not blameless as they let up 3td downs too often but not being forced to keep your team in the game every game would have helped.

The best thing for a Bills defense is a great QB. Problem is we don't have one and I don't know when/where we'll get one.

I notice poz supporters spend most of their time making excuses rather than citing examples of him being good.

Based on those ranking, you would think we had a top 10 defense.

But we did not.

Great rankings.

I'll bite.

Why? Are you one of those people that automatically assume just because the Bills are moving to the 3-4 that the defense is "suddenly" going to get better?

Like somehow the 3-4 is SOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than a 4-3?

IMO are D is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. The D was just on the field almost double the opposition. They were gassed by the 2nd half because the O could not sustain any drives to rest our D.

This.

And the O couldn't score, so the D had to be practically perfect. With a decent offense, the D would look much better.

Personally I feel Poz's play is extremely average.

If you truly watch the games you will see that Poz

has a problem shedding tackles.

Often misreads plays.

Very weak at the point of impact.

When you have to resort stats as opposed to just watching their play it is a problem.

This list has Poz rated above Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis and many others...please.

Although he had a few picks he is constantly taken to school in the middle on pass coverage.

He is the least talented MLB or ILB that we have had since the superbowl teams.

I hope he becomes the player that some of the fans want him to be. That would be great but I don't see it now.

I would have no problem putting Poz out there as trade bait before Lynch or Whitner..I think he is more over rated.

I honestly don't think we could get any thing for him.