Made Men

DOA

With the recent talk of trading for Gaithier, I just dont see it happening. From what I have been seeing, reading and hearing from OBD they want self made men. Not guys you have to push, coddle, and wipe thier butt all at the same time. The first thing that comes to mind is the change in the weight room, no more TV`s, then the quote from Gailey about when you walk in those doors you had better be ready to work. Just the other day he mentioned how he wants to see mental toughness, and work effort without saying anything and who gives that same effort day in and day out. Chris brown had an article about the draft picks in which the coaches and players of each choice were praised more for thier work effort than the talent each one possesed. So to bring in guys that have questionable work ethics just does not make sense. I would rather have a guy who`s willing to run through a brick wall and has to be stopped by a coach to put his helmet on first, than a guy who see`s the wall and try`s to rent a jack hammer.

It`s my belief that in 3 years we will see the culmination of that philosiphy, and when other teams see the Bills on thier schedule they`ll be saying "Ah crap we gotta play the Bills next week, bring on the ice bags and pain killers". Kind of reminds me of when the Sabres had the same reputation with then head coach Ted Nolan, and players like Peca, Barnaby, Ray, May, Etc.

In closing, when you make that your plan, the guy`s on the team will play for each other and not themselves. Which is why it will make us a true team.

Wikipedia:

A team comprises a group of people or animals linked in a common purpose. Teams are especially appropriate for conducting tasks that are high in complexity and have many interdependent subtasks.

A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximize his or her strengths and minimize his or her weaknesses.

GO BILL`S

It certainly wouldn't fit with their new philosophy of having self-motivated players. The question is, is a non-motivated Gaither still good enough to give up what it would take to get him? IOW, did he play well enough the past few years (when he was unmotivated) to give up a lot for him?

With the recent talk of trading for Gaithier, I just dont see it happening. From what I have been seeing, reading and hearing from OBD they want self made men. Not guys you have to push, coddle, and wipe thier butt all at the same time. The first thing that comes to mind is the change in the weight room, no more TV`s, then the quote from Gailey about when you walk in those doors you had better be ready to work. Just the other day he mentioned how he wants to see mental toughness, and work effort without saying anything and who gives that same effort day in and day out. Chris brown had an article about the draft picks in which the coaches and players of each choice were praised more for thier work effort than the talent each one possesed. So to bring in guys that have questionable work ethics just does not make sense. I would rather have a guy who`s willing to run through a brick wall and has to be stopped by a coach to put his helmet on first, than a guy who see`s the wall and try`s to rent a jack hammer.

It`s my belief that in 3 years we will see the culmination of that philosiphy, and when other teams see the Bills on thier schedule they`ll be saying "Ah crap we gotta play the Bills next week, bring on the ice bags and pain killers". Kind of reminds me of when the Sabres had the same reputation with then head coach Ted Nolan, and players like Peca, Barnaby, Ray, May, Etc.

In closing, when you make that your plan, the guy`s on the team will play for each other and not themselves. Which is why it will make us a true team.

Wikipedia:

A team comprises a group of people or animals linked in a common purpose. Teams are especially appropriate for conducting tasks that are high in complexity and have many interdependent subtasks.

A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximize his or her strengths and minimize his or her weaknesses.

GO BILL`S

Agreed. I like your assessment. Gaither doesn't seem to fit the profile of the type of players Buddy has drafted so far. It's just my wild guess that the Bills let this trade rumor persist to give them a little leverage if they are really trying to trade for another tackle (hopefully not Brown due to this age and injury issues) that hasn't been reported yet. Perhaps Nix really is after Gaither but i doubt it. There must be something going on that we're not privy to yet.

It's funny...I will be happy if the Bills get Gaither, if only because they will be addressing a huge hole they made for themselves by ditching Peters. But, in reality, the same things that make Gaither expendable in Baltimore (and what caused them to draft Oher) are not all that different than the reasons so many hated Peters...

Just wondering what anybody thinks about my topic, i see people have read it, but no has replied is it that bad.

I think it is going to take time. We may regress this year in terms of # of wins, but the front office does appear to know what they want. Question remains...can they get it?

This past draft did give us a glimpse. They stayed 'true to their board' and that led to much more added to the defense at the expense of the offense. Training camp hasn't started yet so they could do some stuff to add beef to the offense, we'll see.

This year will be a struggle.

Next year will be better.

Year after will be better still.

The rumors about Gaither's motivation problems are just that, rumors.

They only appeared when the Ravens specifically had a good reason for putting that kind of word on the street, namely to get him into camp.

That's not exactly true. His motivational problems have dogged him since college when Friedgen had problems with him.

Baltimore Sun

March 28, 2010

Gaither has consistently had to deal with these types of questions. After he was selected by the Ravens in the fifth round of the 2007 supplemental draft, Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen expressed his concern over Gaither's work ethic -- which led to him losing his starting job with the Terrapins.

"Sometimes he wouldn't work," Friedgen said in 2007. "I think I have to have some credibility there with my players. ... There were some days he didn't feel like practicing.”

And since it's obvious the Ravens want to move him, why would THEY want to put the word out that he's got motivation problems? Not exactly the best way to build value around an asset you want to generate interest in.

GO BILLS!!!

Just wondering what anybody thinks about my topic, i see people have read it, but no has replied is it that bad.

Your fluorescent Transformer-like avatar is bugging me out. :sick:

The rumors about Gaither's motivation problems are just that, rumors.

They only appeared when the Ravens specifically had a good reason for putting that kind of word on the street, namely to get him into camp.

They did draft a first round LT tackle last year though. That has to say something about what they see in this kid.

I loved those Sabres teams. You left out Bob Boughner. He was a tough SOB, too.

that reminds me Rhett Warrner. I know i prob spelled wrong.

just had a thought, as the season goes buy and we see how some of these guy play. We can do the old he reminds me of "blank on that sabres team".