NFL Execs expect Gathier trade

That would be great news. I honestly have always been skeptical of this idea that the Bills will start the season with the LTs they have. Nix is too savvy to make the same mistake the Bills made last year.

The question is, how much will we pay him and how much will we give up? Obviously we all know he has a first round tender on him, but I doubt the Ravens will get a first round pick.

That being said, it is reasonable to expect the Ravens will want close to Jason Peters value for this guy. That easily means a 2nd round pick in 2011. Maybe we can get them to bite on Parrish too, but we are already short on WR. I expect a 3rd/4th to be in the mix as well.

The Bills won't give up their 1st rounder bc it will be considered a top 10 pick and very few players are worth that high of a draft pick. In fact, I can't remember the last time someone traded a top 10 pick for a player.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The man is a wordsmith. A true inspiration to today's youth and a shining beacon of what a college education can do for you.

LOL Can you see him and Marshawn in the press room together ..... :thumbsup:

If we could get Gathier I along with many people would be happy. If it costs us a 2nd rounder in 2011 so be it. We would have a line that would be semi good at the least.

And this maybe a move to move Wang to RT and let Bell learn behind Gaither while he recovers from the knee.

Stay smart Buddy Nix.

"IF" the Bills make this move quickly before some other team swoops in and steals him away, it would change everything for the up coming season IMO.

Not throwing the sour grapes here but the Bills need to motivate him and be willing to pay him what a LT is worth nowadays, just saying.

So, we're sending a top 50 pick to Baltimore so we can get a left tackle that's nowhere near the raw talent of Peters, but every bit as lazy and unmotivated?

And since his a RFA, we'd have to agree to pay him serious cash, probably, like $15 million guaranteed for openers, which is just a bit higher than the $25 million in guarantees Peters got, and maybe $7-$8 million per year?

And this is largely viewed positively, as a talent like Gaither would dramatically improve our team, even with the occassional blown assignments and questionable attitude?

Hmmm...Maybe people took the whole Peters hold out a bit too personally...

And this maybe a move to move Wang to RT and let Bell learn behind Gaither while he recovers from the knee.

If we get Gaither then I'd expect Bell to have plenty of time to recover...like years.

I want to see the trade go down and an extension reached sooner than later so he can get some OTA time in.

What he said.....

If this is to go down, it's in everybody's best interest to do it sooner rather than later so that the shuffled lines on both teams have time to gel.

I can see Buffalo maybe planning this all along - figuring that noone would give up a 2nd this yr for Gaither, then Buffalo negotiating after the draft (and after the other LT needy teams had invested high draft picks on LT's), when the Bills are maybe the only serious buyer in town....can the new regime at OBD possibly be that smart?

I could think pie-in-the-sky, and hope they could work out a two-fer for both Gaither and Troy Smith - I'd give up a few picks and a few players for that.

I am thinking we have more to offer than we think. One of the things the ravens needed a lot is DBs..... and we sure as hell got a lot of those. I could see us getting away with trading a 3rd along with maybe a combo of whitner, reggie corner, or maybe someone else. I love our DBs and all, but sacrificing one or two of them with a 3rd rounder for a good LT is so worth it. If we trade a 2nd rounder, it should be just the draft pick since it will probably be a high pick (unfortunatly).

I'm a little concerned that BAL decided to move him over to RT for early workouts. If they don't like his attitude, they wouldn't make such a blatant move and expect another team to fork over a 2nd rounder. They'd leave him at LOT.

Also, he's going to demand a large contract extension, as he'll be heading into the 4th and final year of his rookie contract. I can see him getting 7+M per over 4 or more seasons.

and.....???

The article said "sometime before the season" The sooner the quicker. This would allow Bell to move to RT which may be better for him.

If this happens for next years round 2 pick I'd be ecstatic.

The sooner they trade Lynch and acquire Gaither the better, JMO

I'm a little concerned that BAL decided to move him over to RT for early workouts. If they don't like his attitude, they wouldn't make such a blatant move and expect another team to fork over a 2nd rounder. They'd leave him at LOT.

Also, he's going to demand a large contract extension, as he'll be heading into the 4th and final year of his rookie contract. I can see him getting 7+M per over 4 or more seasons.

They want Oher at LT and move one of the back-ups to RT so they don't have to pay Gathier top LT money.

That is why imo, we can get him for a 2.

Link

UPDATE: We've confirmed that the Bills are indeed interested, and we can add a little bit to Schefter's report. The Bills want him bad. That is all.

That link also says that B-More doesn't like his attitude. That gives me pause but for only a millisecond. Sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing for a guy.

I will say this though, I doubt anything happens for a few months. Ravens have no incentive to move him immediately. They'll wait until a team loses a LT in training camp and use it to drive up their price.

Not true...if a team has a quality LT who goes down in training camp, the are not very likely to give up a 2nd round draft pick for a 1 year stop gap at the position. Any team willing to give up what it will take to get him will also want a contract extension worked in, which is going to cost some serious coin.