Any Diamond experts here? I need to sell one

Don't sell it too short.

Find out about the gold band. What carat weight is it? Prices of gold have likely skyrocketed since you bought it enough to help you out some. You think there's not a lot of gold there, and you'd be right, but believe me, gold prices will make a difference in the ring's value.

You can also take it to an appraiser. I did that for the wife when I bought an insurance policy on her ring. It's a fairly cheap and painless thing to do. Make sure you keep a copy of the appraisal, that way you have a record when someone buys it. I'd also tell the appraiser you're getting it for an insurance policy. That way he doesn't try to screw you thinking he can buy it from you with a cheap appraisal.

Thanks. I do already have it appraised, but perhaps getting a more recent appraisal wouldn't hurt.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is finding someone to buy it that isn't interested in reselling it and hence requiring a big discount from market to make it worth their while. And you also don't want to spend a lot of money trying to move it, so I would suggest the following:

--Craigslist ad; it's cheap and maybe you find some dude who is trying to get his fiancée a ring on the cheap. You could also try ebay, but then you have to pick a minimum value and risk either no bids or settling for the minimum. No one is getting into a bidding war on a used diamond.

If you don't get any interest, than go to a couple jewelers/pawn shops and see who offers the most and just take it. It sounds like this is more about the emotions for you anyway, so I wouldn't get too hung up on comparing what you get for it to what you paid for it. IMO you'll be lucky to get back 50%. You should look at the other 50% as part of the fee for getting your life back -- money well spent.

Exactly. I'd be happy to get 33% at this point. I just want the thing gone.

Yes, but Steve said he has a princess cut - and fancy cuts generally cost more than round cuts...

Nope - Round cuts are the most traditional, desirable, and in turn most expensive.

Nope - Round cuts are the most traditional, desirable, and in turn most expensive.

Weird -- when I purchased mine, the round was clearly less expensive. That's not the case now. Good catch.

Ok so first, don't cry for me Argentina, but the wife and I are splitting up. I'm not looking for any sympathy (except from maybe DC Tom), nor am I looking to discuss the details, and finally, no I don't have a "pic" or "link" of her. That said, I need some advice on selling a diamond ring. (yes, I got it back).

Somebody send up the bat signal? My version of sympathy follows:

Splitting up? Didn't you just get married about thirty seconds ago? What the hell is wrong with you?

I know pawn shops are my last resort; but I'd rather go that route than eBay I think. And I'm fairly sure (from the googling I did that jewelry stores will laugh me out of the place).

The details on the ring are as follows:

Its GIA certified with GIA # 15897596

It is a "squared modified brilliant" cut (otherwise known as princess cut)

Around these parts we just call it a T-Bone cut.

Measurements of the center diamond are 5.49x5.32x3.74

Carat Weight of center diamond is .91 carat

Color is G

Clairty is SI2

Finish:

Polish: Good

Symmetry: Good

Fluorescence: None

The ring itself is white gold and the diamond setting is platinum

It has 4 "diamond melee" on the sides (baguettes I think they're called) totally .40 additional carats (.075, .075, .125 and .125)

It was bought and appraised for $5,480.

Now, I know that, in this economy, with the ridiculous mark up of jewelry in the first place, I may be lucky to get $2,000 for it (and that's probably a stretch) I just want to know if anyone knows, based on experience or knowledge of diamonds or jewelry, what my best option is in this case.

I recommend asking Celtic_Soulja directly; with his business acumen, he should be able to get you a great price. :w00t:

FWIW, gold is ~1.75 what it was 3 years ago. Using GLD (ETF which mimics gold prices):

5/2007: 65.54

5/2010: 115.18 (as of this post)

Try to get around that for the setting.

Or you could hold onto it for your second wife, but it would be much cooler if you pulled it out of your pocket during a poker game for an awesome check-raise. That would be bad-a$$.

:w00t:

Weird -- when I purchased mine, the round was clearly less expensive. That's not the case now. Good catch.

I just bought my wife's two years ago - it all depends on what is trendy.

FWIW, gold is ~1.75 what it was 3 years ago. Using GLD (ETF which mimics gold prices):

5/2007: 65.54

5/2010: 115.18 (as of this post)

Try to get around that for the setting.

Or you could hold onto it for your second wife, but it would be much cooler if you pulled it out of your pocket during a poker game for an awesome check-raise. That would be bad-a$$.

:w00t:

Also get a fake finger and put the ring on it. You can get some pretty real looking stuff at joke shops. Tossing it with the finger attached, even better. :w00t:

Ok so first, don't cry for me Argentina, but the wife and I are splitting up. I'm not looking for any sympathy (except from maybe DC Tom), nor am I looking to discuss the details, and finally, no I don't have a "pic" or "link" of her. That said, I need some advice on selling a diamond ring. (yes, I got it back).

I know pawn shops are my last resort; but I'd rather go that route than eBay I think. And I'm fairly sure (from the googling I did that jewelry stores will laugh me out of the place).

Color is G

Clairty is SI2

Finish:

It has 4 "diamond melee" on the sides (baguettes I think they're called) totally .40 additional carats (.075, .075, .125 and .125)

Now, I know that, in this economy, with the ridiculous mark up of jewelry in the first place, I may be lucky to get $2,000 for it (and that's probably a stretch) I just want to know if anyone knows, based on experience or knowledge of diamonds or jewelry, what my best option is in this case.

I know you don't want sympathy--but I ended my engagement about 2-3 weeks ago (also a terrible story I don't want told). I got the ring back and promptly sold it for $750. Bought it for $2250 about 8 or so months ago. I used that money to stay drunk for a week. Also bought a shirt at Target and Halloween on blu ray...but that's neither here nor there. Let me just say I (sort of) know where you are coming from and unloading the ring, regardless of price, is immensely satisfying.

Decided to just shop some prices today. First, a pawn shop. Offered me $1500 for it and then said "that's cause I have a vault of diamonds and in this economy, people aren't buying" He went onto say "But, here's what you should do: put it on craigslist. You could get at least $3000 that way. And, because its a decent amount of money, don't give any of your contact info. Use my store to meet. I have enough guns in here no one would ever attempt anything. If you sell it, toss me $50". First time at a pawn shop. As interesting as I could have imagined.

I then went to a real jewelry store (a local one, not Jared or one of those chains). Offered me $1800.

I think I might go the craigslist route, but it just sounds like a pain in the ass.

Color is G

Clairty is SI2

Finish:

I'm no expert but I sure can tell you that the best diamonds do NOT come from either Finland or Poland. You got ripped dude.

I know you don't want sympathy--but I ended my engagement about 2-3 weeks ago (also a terrible story I don't want told). I got the ring back and promptly sold it for $750. Bought it for $2250 about 8 or so months ago. I used that money to stay drunk for a week. Also bought a shirt at Target and Halloween on blu ray...but that's neither here nor there. Let me just say I (sort of) know where you are coming from and unloading the ring, regardless of price, is immensely satisfying.

$750 will keep you drunk for a week? Damn, I gotta stop drinking the good stuff.

I think I might go the craigslist route, but it just sounds like a pain in the ass.

It's not, when you compare it to Ebay. And it's good of the pawn shop owner to both give you the advice and offer his store as a meeting point. I've seen stories about people selling jewelry on CL, giving out their home address to the buyer, then getting broken into or ripped off.

AP Video: Man advertising diamond ring on Craigslist killed by thieves posing a buyers

Decided to just shop some prices today. First, a pawn shop. Offered me $1500 for it and then said "that's cause I have a vault of diamonds and in this economy, people aren't buying" He went onto say "But, here's what you should do: put it on craigslist. You could get at least $3000 that way. And, because its a decent amount of money, don't give any of your contact info. Use my store to meet. I have enough guns in here no one would ever attempt anything. If you sell it, toss me $50". First time at a pawn shop. As interesting as I could have imagined.

I then went to a real jewelry store (a local one, not Jared or one of those chains). Offered me $1800.

That sounds like a great idea. Very cool of him to offer.

$750 will keep you drunk for a week? Damn, I gotta stop drinking the good stuff.

keep in mind I bought that shirt and blu ray. So that like $25 right there. I think I drank away about $200 and put the rest in checking. But then I like Rye. Rye is cheap.

Think I bought like 30 Lps too. But yeah, rye is good stuff