Butch Davis Fired by Browns

millbank

Butch Davis has been fired as coach of the Cleveland Browns, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

Davis, whose teams went 24-36 overall in three-plus seasons, met with team owner Randy Lerner on Monday night and was told of thBe decision, according to Mortensen.

Butch Davis

what on earth are players doing helping decide who will coach.........

Some places are saying "resigned" not that those two terms aren't synonymous in today's world....

Can't say it's a surprise. Attention, if you're a successful college coach who is itching to move to the NFL, wait until better teams call you so it's not professional suicide when you hitch your wagon to the likes of the Browns and Deadskins. And the fact that those better teams aren't calling you means that you belong in the college ranks. Dem's breaks.

While I think he deserved to be fired why not wait till the end of the year?

139143[/snapback]

So he can pursue a college job right away.

The Bungles debacle Sunday was the final straw. Davis had to go. But he won't be the last because there are a bunch of guys who should get the gate by the end of the season, if not before: Erickson, Haslett, the loser of the NFC Worst derby (Martz or Holmgren).

While I think he deserved to be fired why not wait till the end of the year?

139143[/snapback]

It's the "in vogue" thing right now. Instead of firing coaches at the end of the season, they now "resign" during the team's lowest point. Wanny did it. Now Butch. The NFL is really a cut throat business. More than ever before, owners & fans expect to WIN NOW.

Butch Davis has been fired as coach of the Cleveland Browns, ESPN's Chris Mortensen is reporting.

Davis, whose teams went 24-36 overall in three-plus seasons, met with team owner Randy Lerner on Monday night and was told of thBe decision, according to Mortensen.

Butch Davis

what on earth are players doing helping decide who will coach.........

139116[/snapback]

Let's hope Syracuse gets him. PP stinks, and he can't attract good players. Syracuse hasn't had good players since Marvin Harrison and Donovan McNabb.

I live seven miles from the Browns' facility.

I have the local radio and TV on right now...most of the reporting here is that Davis resigned and accepted a buyout...he had about $12 million remaining on his contract. I believe Butch will be announced as the new head coach of the Florida Gators within the next thirty days.

I thought Butch Davis was a great hire four years ago. I was wrong. So who will be the eventual head coach of the Browns? I have no idea. They don't have a general manager or a player personnel director...I think they have to get those first.

By the way, in just twelve days, my formerly beloved Browns play the Bills in Orchard Park, as we all know. With the Bills now on a tear and the Browns circling the drains...I don't think people will be feeling all that well the next few weeks in my hometown.

Mike

Some places are saying "resigned" not that those two terms aren't synonymous in today's world....

139139[/snapback]

Trust me, Ralph Wilson will tell you personally, based on his experience with Wade, that there is a difference between "fired" and "resigned." Of course, that depends on how much time is left on the coach's contract. Coaching money is guaranteed, which means if you fire a coach (team breaking the contract) you're paying him to fish, while if he quits (coach breaking the contract) then you don't owe him a dime. :lol:

I live seven miles from the Browns' facility. 

I have the local radio and TV on right now...most of the reporting here is that Davis resigned and accepted a buyout...he had about $12 million remaining on his contract.  I believe Butch will be announced as the new head coach of the Florida Gators within the next thirty days.

I thought Butch Davis was a great hire four years ago.  I was wrong.  So who will be the eventual head coach of the Browns?  I have no idea.  They don't have a general manager or a player personnel director...I think they have to get those first. 

By the way, in just twelve days, my formerly beloved Browns play the Bills in Orchard Park, as we all know.  With the Bills now on a tear and the Browns circling the drains...I don't think people will be feeling all that well the next few weeks in my hometown.

Mike

139228[/snapback]

They shouldn't have been feeling well already. Losing to the Bills should be expected. However they SHOULD feel a little better, now that Davis has been fired.

Trust me, Ralph Wilson will tell you personally, based on his experience with Wade, that there is a difference between "fired" and "resigned."  Of course, that depends on how much time is left on the coach's contract.  Coaching money is guaranteed, which means if you fire a coach (team breaking the contract) you're paying him to fish, while if he quits (coach breaking the contract) then you don't owe him a dime.  :lol:

139232[/snapback]

Actually mort reported that Davis was going to give the ownership a buyout for a lesser amount IF allowed to resign today. I guess they did

Actually mort reported that Davis was going to give the ownership a buyout for a lesser amount IF allowed to resign today. I guess they did

139259[/snapback]

could be Ice , but Mort made the distinction today that he was fired as opposed to resigned, as noted they are very different in nature in terms of obligations.

139259[/snapback]

Yes, the negotiated settlement is the third option. It's the way you get situations like this, where now Butch can look for his next college job and the team gets off cheaper...

Somehow, I'm not sure Florida's gonna be all that fired up about hiring an ex-Hurricane head coach who walked out 24 hours before National Signing Day in order to take the Browns job after telling his entire team that he would be at Miami for the foreseeable future.