Thanks Leonidas

Just to play devil's advocate for a second- did a professional sportswriter really expect to come on a fan website and not have ONE person act the fool? Sounds to me like he's a little bit of a "delicate genius." God forbid we disturb the "delicate genius!" Like Lori said, it was bound to happen at some point. P.S. Didn't he say that he was making his last post like three months ago?

I for one say yes, he should expect to come here and not be harassed by knuckleheads. It's not like he didn't warn anyone. I am amazed he lasted this long.

Go ahead and excuse it away and at the same time throw an insult at him like it is his fault.

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my god, this thread has 7 pages of responses. I'm almost mad at myself for adding to it. But seriously, who fricken cares? Okay, TG got his feelings hurt? People get pissed on here all the time and take off for a while. It's a fricken forum. Anyone can post on here. There are thousands of members on here. Try putting a hundred people in a room expressing an opinion and watch the fights break out.

I mean seriously, I like some posters here, some are full of themselves, and some are indifferent to me, but none of them are gonna get me upset. If someone says something dumb, I'll respond or ignore it

At the end of the day, we all have insights. Some good, some not so good. Sure it's cool to have someone who knows people on ESPN, but no one is any different than anyone else on here in my opinion.

One time back in 1982, I was drinking at the old Cloister....when some random guy sitting next to me said, "Next time you see Tom Jolls, tell him to get stuffed, for me. He said 75 and sunny....it rained all friggin day."

I immediately paid my tab, left the place, and vowed never to return.

Until 2 hours later.

But that was the last time.

Tom Jolls is gold.....nobody talks like that about him and gets away with it. How dare an establishment procuring libations allow such riffraff through the doors. Don't they know I'm the Clipper? I don't have to stand for that.

Oh my god, this thread has 7 pages of responses. I'm almost mad at myself for adding to it. But seriously, who fricken cares? Okay, TG got his feelings hurt? People get pissed on here all the time and take off for a while. It's a fricken forum. Anyone can post on here. There are thousands of members on here. Try putting a hundred people in a room expressing an opinion and watch the fights break out.

I mean seriously, I like some posters here, some are full of themselves, and some are indifferent to me, but none of them are gonna get me upset. If someone says something dumb, I'll respond or ignore it

At the end of the day, we all have insights. Some good, some not so good. Sure it's cool to have someone who knows people on ESPN, but no one is any different than anyone else on here in my opinion.

Post of the night on this thread so far IMHO

But certainly things like respect and manners have to play a role here. Debate is fun, bashing and barb trading isn't. There's a difference between debating who should start at QB and calling someone a dumbass because they think it should be one guy over another.

I'm sorry but this is all a little too much. I thought what Leonidas wrote was very funny stuff. Sure, I can see where it would rub Tim the wrong way and I don't blame Tim for one moment from taking some time away from the board as a way of demonstrating his displeasure with the post. But it was hardly a personal attack.

Leonidas took advantage of Tim's position to express a real frustration from the fan who does not happen to support the "big clubs." As a fan of European Football, having sports coverage cater to the "big club" is all too familiar and evokes the same type of commentary from Leonidas's counterparts on the other side of the pond, complete with the type of wit demonstrated by Leonidas in his post.

What troubles me more is the reaction of some on this site who forget that we are citizens of the United States and Leonidas is free to express himself in any manner he chooses so long as certain legal lines are not crossed, which in my useless opinion, were not in this case. I stopped reading posts on PPP because of the intolerance of posters masked under the label of patriotism. We should not allow a similar "censorship" to form in this forum.

Rant over.

I'm probably repeating what everyone else has said....but what a bunch of horse crap this is.

Thanks Tim. I thought it was pretty cool to have a journalist who actually seemed to give a crap about our team offer to provide us with a few 'cookies' from time to time. I believe your only request was a little courtesy.

Too bad the stooges here couldn't comply. I don't know that I've ever seen a person in your position offer up a 'forum' free of charge. You were initially very active and seemed to clearly grow weary of the childishness over time. When folks were critical but polite you always provided an answer. the personal attacks on you, coworkers, and your employer were lame.

thanks for being a sport and please understand there were many people here who thought what you were offering us was pretty damn cool!

You might want to empty your cache and hit the refresh button. Looks like your computer is drawing an old page from a stuffed cache.

The headlines on ESPNBoston right now are Bruins-Flyers and Celtics-Cavs from last night's games and today's coverage, a Red Sox story from last night's game and a Patriots story from this afternoon.

http://espn.go.com/boston/

The stories you mention were archived long ago.

Burnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Tim, you're my boy. Keep up the good work at ESPN and don't worry about these douchers.

Leonidas took advantage of Tim's position

Yes, he did.

What troubles me more is the reaction of some on this site who forget that we are citizens of the United States and Leonidas is free to express himself in any manner he chooses so long as certain legal lines are not crossed, which in my useless opinion, were not in this case. I stopped reading posts on PPP because of the intolerance of posters masked under the label of patriotism. We should not allow a similar "censorship" to form in this forum.

Rant over.

Wrong answer. This is a PRIVATELY owned and operated website, which means that you can take your First Amendment argument elsewhere. The rules in this PRIVATE forum are set by its owner, SDS.

Including this one: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=106793

I would like to state upfront what the policy is here, and I'm embarrassed that it has to be spelled out for some of you.

We have some special guests here that provide their time, knowledge and insight to us and for that we are grateful. They do this for free. We welcome their participation and we will do what we need to do in order to facilitate that.

Feel free to engage these individuals with your questions and your comments in a reasoned, tactful manner. You don't have to like what they report. You don't have to agree with what they report. But I can assure you that from this point forward your engagement with them on THIS forum will be respectful.

If you can't phrase your comment or objection as if these individuals were sitting across the dinner table from you - then just keep it to yourself. Plain and simple. Just don't write it.

If you lack restraint - we will quickly provide that for you. We wish you luck in your future endeavors. This goes for old-timers and newbies alike.

For those of you wanting to argue this - don't bother. I will not side with your lack of civility, I will not side with ignorant ramblings over professionalism.

Let me reiterate, tactful criticism and skepticism are welcomed. Being a rude jackass is not.

Perhaps "tell so-and-so to STFU" is dinner-table conversation in some of your households. Not in mine.

There is a nice feature on this site (under My Controls> Options > Manage Ignored Users) that can help reduce the chance that you might read something from the small number of users who have made visiting forums like this less enjoyable.

It is kind of like rolling up your window when the car next to you goes a little overboard to make sure that you can hear their music.

Perhaps "tell so-and-so to STFU" is dinner-table conversation in some of your households. Not in mine.

+1

We all got a hell of a lot more from Tim Graham than he ever got from us. The guy didn't have to stop by and share his insight, but he did it anyway. I've seen much worse on this board than what Leonidas said, but IMO that sort of post did not belong in Tim's thread. SDS laid it out pretty clearly in that segment that Lori posted above, and those guidelines weren't followed. I, for one, think it sucks that he's not going to participate here anymore cause I looked forward to seeing what the guy had to say.

I want to thank everybody for the kind words on here. Most everyone was enjoyable to work with.

I'm glad I had the chance to meet several of you out at the stadium. Dozens of people on this site know how to get ahold of me. Don't hesitate to reach out if you need anything, and I hope to see you at the first tailgate.

Take care, and have a fun 2010 season.

Blue, you're my boy! I'll keep reading your work on ESPN. I'm bummed you wont be on TBD anymore but I understand. Keep up the good work and don't worry about these clowns.

Just a suggestion, perhaps Tim would eventually return under an enhanced-moderated thread, where questions get pre-screened. Lori & Co., I don't know whether you'd want to take that on (and I agree that you shouldn't have to, but it is what it is). Just a thought.

Not sure he would come back at this point but this would def. help resolve the issues caused by ungrateful posters.

Leonidas probably should have been told to "STFU" nevertheless, in a colloquial sense (as opposed to literally saying "Hey, shut the !@#$ up.") His post was badly, even stupidly, misplaced.

Sometimes you just have to hit people over the head with a 2x4 so they get the point. Sometimes "blunt" is nicer than "nice and gentle".

Just a suggestion, perhaps Tim would eventually return under an enhanced-moderated thread, where questions get pre-screened. Lori & Co., I don't know whether you'd want to take that on (and I agree that you shouldn't have to, but it is what it is). Just a thought.

This was something I was wondering as well. Perhaps another solution is having any posters pre-approved by moderators before being allowed to participate in this hypothetical thread. Although I'm not sure how realistic this is, whether TG or the moderators would be willing or quite frankly whether it is deserved. Some of the ignorance and classlessness around here is genuinely disappointing.

Some people have no concept of professionalism, etiquette or class.

Yes, he did.

Wrong answer. This is a PRIVATELY owned and operated website, which means that you can take your First Amendment argument elsewhere. The rules in this PRIVATE forum are set by its owner, SDS.

Including this one: http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=106793

No, but it's been pretty common around here for a while.

This was something I was wondering as well. Perhaps another solution is having any posters pre-approved by moderators before being allowed to participate in this hypothetical thread. Although I'm not sure how realistic this is, whether TG or the moderators would be willing or quite frankly whether it is deserved. Some of the ignorance and classlessness around here is genuinely disappointing.

Some people have no concept of professionalism, etiquette or class.

That's because there's no accountability. Just some nerds behind a computer who can simply create a new account after being banned....

99.99999% of the crap some of these punks spew would NEVER come off their lips in person. Welcome to the interwebnets, it's a tough place.... :wallbash:

Sorry to see Tim go, it was nice while it lasted...

Leonidas probably should have been told to "STFU" nevertheless, in a colloquial sense (as opposed to literally saying "Hey, shut the !@#$ up.") His post was badly, even stupidly, misplaced.

Sometimes you just have to hit people over the head with a 2x4 so they get the point. Sometimes "blunt" is nicer than "nice and gentle".

Couldn't agree more. One problem being, as has been noted by many on here, regardless of whether you are being "blunt" or "nice/gentle" some people feel invincible and infallible behind the curtain of internet anonymity.

That's because there's no accountability. Just some nerds behind a computer who can simply create a new account after being banned....

99.99999% of the crap some of these punks spew would NEVER come off their lips in person. Welcome to the interwebnets, it's a tough place.... :wallbash:

Sorry to see Tim go, it was nice while it lasted...

Nah, you'd be surprised what comes out of these SNERTS mouths now a days. Unless they get immediate and severe repercussions for their actions, which rarely happens, they spew what they want when they want.

Nah, you'd be surprised what comes out of these SNERTS mouths now a days. Unless they get immediate and severe repercussions for their actions, which rarely happens, they spew what they want when they want.

It scares me. But I think that the "Jerry Springer crowd" (A term I like to use to refer to classless, ignorant people) are starting to outnumber the rest of us.