Booker Edgerson To Be 2010 Inductee To Bills Wall of Fame

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Still there, far as I know: Cleveland Browns Front Office

And one other thing signified by Booker's selection: guys like Byrd and Butler still have a chance. A few years back, I was told that once the committee started inducting the Super Bowl-era players, it was going to be near-impossible for anyone before that period to make it.

Thanks for the information on Butler. I guess I was mistaken (what else is new?) Butler left the Bills before Donohoe got there...served as their receivers coach in 1999-2000... either way, still my favorite Buffalo Bill!

I'm happy for Booker. However, the owner should set aside grudges and put Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist on that wall. It is my understanding that Saban has family that still reside in western NY. I also believe that Cookie is still alive but is not very healthy.

I'm well aware that both Lou Saban and Cookie Giclhrist were very difficult personalities to deal with. However, they both are very important parts of this franchise's ragged history. It would not only be the right thing to do but also the gracious thing to do.

Do you have permission to use this name?

More deserving? No. As deserving? Absolutely. In addition to Byrd, Saban, and Gilchrist; a couple others come to mind.

Shane Nelson. His career was unfortunately cut short because of a knee injury, but Fred Smerlas and Jim Haslett will tell you that Shane was not only the heart and soul of the “Bermuda Triangle,” but of the entire defense.

Jerry Butler, who also had his career shortened because of a knee injury, was a thrill to watch. Simply put, he made the game better because he was in it.

Jerry and Shane were great football players, but they are even better people.

Butler - great player but no wall. He did not play long enough.

Nelson - very good player. no wall.

there are already a few players on the wall that should not be. It is getting a bit crazy right now.

Do you have permission to use this name?

I sent in a quarter for every time I used his name to the Cookie Fund. For now on I will only refer him to as CG hoping that might legally absolve me from sending in my diminishing number of quarters. :)

Lori, If Cookie made some disparging comments about the owner, so what. That doesn't take away from the fact that he was a very central player in the team's history. Cookie was a very proud and strong willed person with a strong streak of being anti-authority. That is who he was. He was mule-headed-as is our owner.

Even if Cookie wouldn't show up for his presentation that still shouldn't detract from the fact that he deserves (more than a large # already placed on that wall) to be on that wall. Being placed on the Wall is an acknowledgement of one's special place in the history of the franchise. People with prickly and unfavorable personality traits shouldn't have their accumulated accomplishments ignored as if they have never happened. Let's face it the Bills' owner is more known for his irrascibility than he is for his congeneality. And he has a public payed for stadium named after him.

As San Jose Bill has astutely observed that not having Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist on the Wall diminishes the significance of being on that wall. The owner's small-minded behavior in this matter is one of the many reasons why I don't have much regard for him.

He was fantasitc as a Bill. But, he only played here 3 years. We have many 3 yr. guys who burned brightly. As 'The Wall' grows older by the day, it's tributes should be for those who provided great play over a long career or era. Add to this, that his personal reputation is somewhat tainted and I have no problem with his absence on the Wall.

BTW, another Bill who provided great play over a long era who isn't up there: Bobby Chandler#81.

Robert James is on the wall, right? The master of the bump and run that led to the illegal contact rule

He is. Went up in 1998.

The list through 2008, courtesy of KRC. (You can find it under the "History" tab on the menu on TBD's front page.)

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/buffalo-bills...s-wall-of-fame/

He was fantasitc as a Bill. But, he only played here 3 years. We have many 3 yr. guys who burned brightly. As 'The Wall' grows older by the day, it's tributes should be for those who provided great play over a long career or era. Add to this, that his personal reputation is somewhat tainted and I have no problem with his absence on the Wall.

BTW, another Bill who provided great play over a long era who isn't up there: Bobby Chandler#81.

I know a couple of guys on the committee who really liked Chandler. He's probably a longshot -- don't know how they feel about posthumous selections, for one -- but don't give up hope just yet. As I said earlier, Edgerson's induction means they might also take another look at some of the other pre-Super Bowl players.

Interesting Facebook comment from last night regarding Ralph and Saban (after a comment was made that Saban was on Ralph's blacklist):

"Actually Ralph and Saban made up together yrs ago.1995 to be exact ,because when Lou was hired to start up the football program at Alfred State, Ralph donated 1.5 million to our program to get it up and rolling.I know of this B/C I was hired by SABAN through the athletic director at ALFRED who was my high school football coach and my College coach played for and was drafted by lou. ( Keith Moody ) who was drafted out of syracuse. So you see folks Ralph WAS instrumental in getting the " PIONEER " program off and running."

He is. Went up in 1998.

The list through 2008, courtesy of KRC. (You can find it under the "History" tab on the menu on TBD's front page.)

http://www.twobillsdrive.com/buffalo-bills...s-wall-of-fame/

I know a couple of guys on the committee who really liked Chandler. He's probably a longshot -- don't know how they feel about posthumous selections, for one -- but don't give up hope just yet. As I said earlier, Edgerson's induction means they might also take another look at some of the other pre-Super Bowl players.

That's just sad. On many levels.

You are correct that Cookie Gilchrist had a relatively short stint with the Bills. But that isn't too say that he wasn't one of the best players in the history of the franchise. Not only was he a tremendous player for the Bills but he was one of the best players in the AFL and NFL. Longevity doesn't necessarily translate into being a memorable and impactful player for the franchise.

I'm glad you mentioned Bobby Chandler #81. He was a solid player. But it would be exaggerating his ability to say that he was an impactful player who should be singled out with with a space on the Wall. I do have a lot of respect and regard for Chandler. He got his law degree but tragically died at an early age from cancer. Didn't he play at USC when O.J. was there???

booker edgerson going on the wall has just de-valued the honor in my opinion. as i stated yesterday, he is a fine person, but hardly wall of fame material at this point in time. even if you disregard the cookie, saban angle, there are many more deserving players, way too numerous to mention. you could have 6 different threads going all at once discussing the merits of those that belong, it is apparent that football accomplishment is only part of the basis for selection .

if someone wanted to rename the stadium in Kalsu's honor, I wouldn't be opposed to that, either.

That is a GREAT idea. :)

IIRC 1LT Kalsu was killed serving with an 8inch howitzer battery at FSB RIPCORD in the A Shau Valley in 1970. That was a brutal month long siege / slugfest - a type of Khe Sanh in miniature.

Renaming The Ralph to Kalsu Field would be a fitting and appropriate tribute. How would you get something like that started?

You are correct that Cookie Gilchrist had a relatively short stint with the Bills. But that isn't too say that he wasn't one of the best players in the history of the franchise. Not only was he a tremendous player for the Bills but he was one of the best players in the AFL and NFL. Longevity doesn't necessarily translate into being a memorable and impactful player for the franchise.

I'm glad you mentioned Bobby Chandler #81. He was a solid player. But it would be exaggerating his ability to say that he was an impactful player who should be singled out with with a space on the Wall. I do have a lot of respect and regard for Chandler. He got his law degree but tragically died at an early age from cancer. Didn't he play at USC when O.J. was there???

I think you meant AFL & CFL.

I repectfully disagree about Bob Chandler. He epitomized 'possesion' receiver and was every bit as good as Blitnikof, tapping toes on the sideline, making fabulous catches, and better than Fred at downfield blocking. Raiders took him to replace Fred. He was routinely the sole great player on some miserable teams. When the Bills offense got very good in the mid-70's, with J.D. Hill and Rashad, they couldn't keep Bobby off the field and went to 3 WR's. He was great, just not a showboat. He lived a full -if short- life, excelling in pro football, top sportscaster gig's, lawyer, author (Violent Sundays), husband and family man. IMO, he deserves WOF.

Yes, he played with Juice and Al Cowlings @ SC.

That is a GREAT idea. :nana:

IIRC 1LT Kalsu was killed serving with an 8inch howitzer battery at FSB RIPCORD in the A Shau Valley in 1970. That was a brutal month long siege / slugfest - a type of Khe Sanh in miniature.

Renaming The Ralph to Kalsu Field would be a fitting and appropriate tribute. How would you get something like that started?

You would start a petition and/or letter-writing campaign to Ralph Wilson, c/o The Buffalo Bills.

As a part of their stadium lease, the Bills own the naming rights to the stadium. I have posted the lease here on numerous occasions. The language is quite clear. The Bills own the naming rights and have opted instead to name the stadium after the Bills' owner.

BTW, by not selling the naming rights, the Bills are turning their backs on a fairly small sum of money, probably in the $600,000-$1 million per year range. http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

I repectfully disagree about Bob Chandler. He epitomized 'possesion' receiver and was every bit as good as Blitnikof, tapping toes on the sideline, making fabulous catches, and better than Fred at downfield blocking. Raiders took him to replace Fred. He was routinely the sole great player on some miserable teams. When the Bills offense got very good in the mid-70's, with J.D. Hill and Rashad, they couldn't keep Bobby off the field and went to 3 WR's. He was great, just not a showboat. He lived a full -if short- life, excelling in pro football, top sportscaster gig's, lawyer, author (Violent Sundays), husband and family man. IMO, he deserves WOF.

Chandler was all those things you describe. Bobby could be narcissistic too, as when he posed for Playgirl.

You would start a petition and/or letter-writing campaign to Ralph Wilson, c/o The Buffalo Bills.

As a part of their stadium lease, the Bills own the naming rights to the stadium. I have posted the lease here on numerous occasions. The language is quite clear. The Bills own the naming rights and have opted instead to name the stadium after the Bills' owner.

BTW, by not selling the naming rights, the Bills are turning their backs on a fairly small sum of money, probably in the $600,000-$1 million per year range. http://espn.go.com/sportsbusiness/s/stadiumnames.html

Chandler was all those things you describe. Bobby could be narcissistic too, as when he posed for Playgirl.

narcisstistic??? are you kidding, who wouldnt! for crissakes, the over analyzing that goes on here is maddening sometimes. he was a just a guy , narcissism , hardly, i would call it "normal male syndrome", if one has to get into labeling everything.

Bobby Chandler epitomized 'possesion' receiver and was every bit as good as Blitnikof, tapping toes on the sideline, making fabulous catches, and better than Fred at downfield blocking. Raiders took him to replace Fred. He was routinely the sole great player on some miserable teams. When the Bills offense got very good in the mid-70's, with J.D. Hill and Rashad, they couldn't keep Bobby off the field and went to 3 WR's. He was great, just not a showboat. He lived a full -if short- life, excelling in pro football, top sportscaster gig's, lawyer, author (Violent Sundays), husband and family man. IMO, he deserves WOF.

narcisstistic??? are you kidding, who wouldnt! for crissakes, the over analyzing that goes on here is maddening sometimes. he was a just a guy , narcissism , hardly, i would call it "normal male syndrome", if one has to get into labeling everything.

Calm down dwight. I was just counterweighting Chandler#81's tribute.

It was starting to sound like a canonization. Bobby Chandler was a human being. That was the point.

Calm down dwight. I was just counterweighting Chandler#81's tribute.

It was starting to sound like a canonization. Bobby Chandler was a human being. That was the point.

ok, no problem, just thought you went a tad overboard in explaining his posing in playgirl. he was trying to establish a life after football, any pub will do, especially that kind. it was a perfect PR move at the time..

During Cookie's short stint with the Bills I thought he was one of the best players in either the AFL and the NFL. I acknowledge that it is very difficult to compare players from different leagues. That is just my opinion. There is no doubt that Cookie was somewhat of a roque, to put it mildly, but he was a signature player for us. My memory of him was that he was our most dominant offensive player during his stint with the Bills. In my view the second most dominant defensive player for the Bills was Tom Sestak. Like Bob Chandler, Tom Sestak died at a relatively young age. Bruce Smith was undoubtedly the best defensive player.

Bob Chandler was one of the most multi-faceted players to have ever been associated with the Bills. Whether that should quality him for the Wall is open to debate. If you want to put him on the Wall based on the caliber of person he is then he is very deserving. If you want to put him on the Wall based on the caliber of player he was for us then we have a respectful disagreement.