So How Many BCS Championships Did Georgia Tech Win?

Well there you have it! The new mantra on this board is, "At least we don't suck as bad as last year!"

Excellent point. If we win just one more game this year or go 19-0 then that statement would still hold true. Are you hedging your bets?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people get wrapped up in his record at GT when he has an NFL record that's pretty darned clear?

Dallas Cowboys record, before, during, after Gailey's tenure as HC:

1997: 6-10

Chan Gailey Named Head Coach

1998: 10-6, playoff loss

1999: 8-8, playoff loss

Chan Gailey fired as Head Coach

2000: 5-10

2001: 5-10

2002: 5-10

I should care about his recruiting success at Georgia Tech why?

Well but Spurrier was a great college coach in FLA, mediocre in SC. Chan was Mediocre at Ga Tech, mostly due to recruiting. In the NFL he wont have to worry about that.

So he couldnt win with sub-par talent in college, but he is going to be able to in the NFL?

He wasnt even successful in the NFL. Thats why he was never kept around. You dont become a guy no one wants around by doing you job too well.

Buddy Nix, our GM hired only to "win games", signed undrafted OL Cord Howard out of Georgia Tech after the draft this past week. Cord feels right at home coming to Buffalo, as he said, “I feel like it will be, I’m not going to say easy, because you’ve still got to work wherever you go, but at the same time you’re still comfortable with your setting,” Howard said. “I have my same offensive line coach, my head coach, my offensive coordinator and my strength coach there. So it’s basically being reunited with my beginning.”

Isn't that nice for Cord? However I would have felt better if Georgia Tech might have at least defeated Georgia once during Chan and his gangs' career together there! Great job, Buddy. Nothing like turning down "hundreds of phone calls a day" and ending up hiring half the staff from a college program that was mediocre at best, could not recruit the best athletes from their own state, and never sniffed a conference or national championship. Nothing spells Super Bowl coaching staff like that resume', huh?? :thumbsup:

and your point is?

big freaking deal he didnt win @ GT. you know what he won every where he was in the NFL and jerry jones said publicly many times that one of the biggest mistakes he ever made with the cowboys was firing chan galiey and he wishes he never did it.

so your post is absolutely absurd he didnt win @ GT so nix is dumb and he picked up a GT street free agent fo $20 and he brought a coach and strength guy w/him from GT so he sucks. great freaking logic!

Read more: http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2010/04/29/...l#ixzz0mgtCp8De

Name me a recent season in which the best team didn't win the BCS championship. And are you really in favor of extending the season so that these student athletes make college athletics even more of a farce than it really is? I prefer the old days when there was a bunch of games on New Year's Day and no BCS championship. No games during fall finals, and no games after winter semester starts. It's worth rememberiing that very few players have any shot at the NFL. Of the ones that do, few last more than 2-3 years. They may as well get an education, no?

I agree. It was much better to have all this done by New Year's Day. A college football playoff is virtually impossible since these guys are actually college students -- at least we have to assume this or the colleges will be obligated to pay them a salary. There's not enough time between the end of the season and the start of Spring semester to have a FAIR playoff. You'll end up teams getting chosen for the playoffs and others moaning about not being selected. The bowls used to be so much more meaningful and fun.

He wasnt even successful in the NFL. Thats why he was never kept around. You dont become a guy no one wants around by doing you job too well.

Why do people get wrapped up in his record at GT when he has an NFL record that's pretty darned clear?

I should care about his recruiting success at Georgia Tech why?

This thread is funny. Gailey takes a team that went 6-10 before he got there, leads it to 2 playoff appearances, gets fired in what Jerry Jones calls "a mistake on his part," and the Cowboys go 5-11 for 3 straight years afterwards, and all some are talking about is his record at GT? :thumbsup:

1997: Switzer is the HC. Bickering between him and Aikman and others. They are 6-5 when they get bit by the injury and bickering bugs and lose the last 5. But still on paper have a pretty good team.

1998: In steps Chan the man. Inherits a pretty strong team. Goes 10-6 which is mildly under-achieving with that team but respectable compared to the previous season. Heavily favored in the first round of the playoffs and loses (and admits it was due to his coaching).

1999: Still Chan the man at the helm. Team takes a turn for the worse. Goes 8-8 and somehow manages to sneak into the playoffs (weak division). Loses in the first game again.

2000+ The slide continues post Chan. Is that Chans fault? Doubtful. Did he have a part in it? Probably.

I have friends who are big time GT fans. Their perception was that Chan was fired, and his contract paid off, to prevent a further downslide by that team (i.e. stop the bleeding). Looks like possibly the same situation by Jones in Dallas.

Personally from what I have read I don't think he is a bad coach. But I don't think he is some kind of gem that everyone has misjudged for his entire career either. Give him a chance and see what he can do in the B-Lo. Nix and Gailey both being old school certainly can't hurt.

This thread is funny. Gailey takes a team that went 6-10 before he got there, leads it to 2 playoff appearances, gets fired in what Jerry Jones calls "a mistake on his part," and the Cowboys go 5-11 for 3 straight years afterwards, and all some are talking about is his record at GT? :thumbsup:

By this logic, why not hire Switzer? Only had one bad season in Dallas. Won a bunch of playoff games. Even a SB. AND he was actually a successful college coach.

Who were the QBs for those 3 5-11 seasons?

In the more than 10 years between Jones firing CG and the Bills hiring, did Jones tell anybody that he regretted firing GAiley?

By this logic, why not hire Switzer? Only had one bad season in Dallas. Won a bunch of playoff games. Even a SB. AND he was actually a successful college coach.

Switzer took over a SB-winning team. Gailey did not. Slight difference there, chief.

Who were the QBs for those 3 5-11 seasons?

I'd have to look it up. But take a guess who the QB for that 6-10 (1997) season was? Your point, again?

In the more than 10 years between Jones firing CG and the Bills hiring, did Jones tell anybody that he regretted firing GAiley?

Apparently he did.

He was dismissed after the 1999 season, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones acknowledged his mistake in firing Gailey.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Buddy Nix, our GM hired only to "win games", signed undrafted OL Cord Howard out of Georgia Tech after the draft this past week. Cord feels right at home coming to Buffalo, as he said, “I feel like it will be, I’m not going to say easy, because you’ve still got to work wherever you go, but at the same time you’re still comfortable with your setting,” Howard said. “I have my same offensive line coach, my head coach, my offensive coordinator and my strength coach there. So it’s basically being reunited with my beginning.”

Isn't that nice for Cord? However I would have felt better if Georgia Tech might have at least defeated Georgia once during Chan and his gangs' career together there! Great job, Buddy. Nothing like turning down "hundreds of phone calls a day" and ending up hiring half the staff from a college program that was mediocre at best, could not recruit the best athletes from their own state, and never sniffed a conference or national championship. Nothing spells Super Bowl coaching staff like that resume', huh?? :thumbsup:

:devil: for your post

It's posts like these that really irritate me. Do you sit home and stew day in and day out and just let fester whatever it is you don't like about the bills? I mean, how long ago was this coach hired? and you are bitching still? he hasnt even coached one bills game and he sucks already. are you going to be like this when our season starts? Get over it man. this is our coach now. and our gm. It's what we have . It's time for a lot of you guys to move forward. you are stuck in the past. we wanted change. we got change. now give the damn change a chance to work. If it sucks so bad to be a bills fan, maybe its just time to change teams guys. some of you really are just downers. Oh, realistic. Thats right. I forgot. Well i can be realistic and still be positive. I really don't know how you can call yourself billsphan. you should chnage your name to bills complainer. just an udderly horrible post that i should have just ignored. my bad

This thread is funny. Gailey takes a team that went 6-10 before he got there, leads it to 2 playoff appearances, gets fired in what Jerry Jones calls "a mistake on his part," and the Cowboys go 5-11 for 3 straight years afterwards, and all some are talking about is his record at GT? ;)

100% agree. and you get crap for this. unbelievable. people are gonna spin it anyway they want. I'll take 2 playoff appearances over jaron. no problem.

Switzer took over a SB-winning team. Gailey did not. Slight difference there, chief.

I'd have to look it up. But take a guess who the QB for that 6-10 (1997) season was? Your point, again?

Apparently he did.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Switzer had one losing season with the Cowboys. CG had one winning season with the Cowboys.

The QBs that followed Aikman's demise: Carter, Anthony Wright, Ryan Leaf (!) and Steve Hutchinson.

Why didn't we just keep Jauron?----he has taken a team to the playoffs (more recently and with a less talented team than even the fading 90's Cowboys) and was 7-9 with the Bills, as opposed to 8-8 with a better Cowboys team (CG).

1997: Switzer is the HC. Bickering between him and Aikman and others. They are 6-5 when they get bit by the injury and bickering bugs and lose the last 5. But still on paper have a pretty good team.

1998: In steps Chan the man. Inherits a pretty strong team. Goes 10-6 which is mildly under-achieving with that team but respectable compared to the previous season. Heavily favored in the first round of the playoffs and loses (and admits it was due to his coaching).

1999: Still Chan the man at the helm. Team takes a turn for the worse. Goes 8-8 and somehow manages to sneak into the playoffs (weak division). Loses in the first game again.

Were the 1998-1999 Boys a "pretty strong team" ? Or was it a team in rapid decline?

This thread is funny. Gailey takes a team that went 6-10 before he got there, leads it to 2 playoff appearances, gets fired in what Jerry Jones calls "a mistake on his part," and the Cowboys go 5-11 for 3 straight years afterwards, and all some are talking about is his record at GT? :rolleyes:

Well, since he only had two seasons in the NFL, I'm not going to completely ignore his six seasons in college. I think I am better informed by looking at the entire picture.

Were the 1998-1999 Boys a "pretty strong team" ? Or was it a team in rapid decline?

Depends upon your point of view I suppose. But Aikman was on the team both years, as was Emmitt Smith.

The Cowboys certainly declined while Gailey was there as well as after he was fired. After Aikman went out in 2000 they were in a world of hurt to be sure. Tough to replace a guy like that. I would say that is when the rapid decline (more like instant decline) hit.

A red flag for me about Gailey is the following offensive rankings for Georgia Tech over the past decade. The bold seasons are the ones Gailey was there:

2009 - 26th in the nation.

2008 - 50th in the nation.

2007 - 65th in the nation.

2006 - 67th in the nation.

2005 - 78th in the nation.

2004 - 80th in the nation.

2003 - 94th in the nation.

2002 - 57th in the nation.

2001 - 34th in the nation.

2000 - 15th in the nation.

1999 - 1st in the nation.

So, the six worst offensive seasons for Georgia Tech in the past decade coincide with Gailey's tenure there.

Does that mean he's not a great offensive mind? Nope. But it's a red flag.

Isn't that nice for Cord? However I would have felt better if Georgia Tech might have at least defeated Georgia once during Chan and his gangs' career together there! Great job, Buddy. Nothing like turning down "hundreds of phone calls a day" and ending up hiring half the staff from a college program that was mediocre at best, could not recruit the best athletes from their own state, and never sniffed a conference or national championship. Nothing spells Super Bowl coaching staff like that resume', huh?? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the post man. I love a big splash of urine in my Wheaties.

Actually, I would say he was a better recruiter and worse HC. He had Calvin Johnson and 2 1st round picks this year. Ohio State didn't even have someone picked until the 4th or 5th round this year. Georgia Tech always had NFL level players, but they couldn't win big games. That's a legitimate concern.