There is no QB competition as most think of one.

There is no such thing as 'competition'. They have an idea who they want to be the QB by the start of camp and that guy will get the meat of the snaps. The next guy will get a little more snaps before the 2nd preseason game and start that game. After that, the guy they want will have the meat of the snaps from there on out.

If you go back EVERY QB 'competition' goes down that way. Why? Because you can't go into a season taking reps away from the guy you want to be your starter. It is a recipe for disaster,and the way Nix on that radio show blasted the last regime for its screwup's last pre season, I see this 'competition' over after the 2nd preseason game.

It doesnt' matter if its Brohom, Brown, Edwards or Fitz, they will know the guy they want to win this thing before they set foot in training camp.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no such thing as 'competition'. They have an idea who they want to be the QB by the start of camp and that guy will get the meat of the snaps. The next guy will get a little more snaps before the 2nd preseason game and start that game. After that, the guy they want will have the meat of the snaps from there on out.

If you go back EVERY QB 'competition' goes down that way. Why? Because you can't go into a season taking reps away from the guy you want to be your starter. It is a recipe for disaster,and the way Nix on that radio show blasted the last regime for its screwup's last pre season, I see this 'competition' over after the 2nd preseason game.

It doesnt' matter if its Brohom, Brown, Edwards or Fitz, they will know the guy they want to win this thing before they set foot in training camp.

This might be true. But if I was one of those qbs, I'd be thinking the competition started the day the Bills introduced Gailey. All 4 of those boys better be working their tail off right now. The competition isn't during training camp. It's during the OTAs, the voluntary dates, etc.

This might be true. But if I was one of those qbs, I'd be thinking the competition started the day the Bills introduced Gailey. All 4 of those boys better be working their tail off right now. The competition isn't during training camp. It's during the OTAs, the voluntary dates, etc.

I agree, they better all be working their butts off as they will be competing for their NFL lives. I believe when the dust settles, Edwards will be QB to at least start the season, but if there is one team in the NFL that might use 4 starters at QB before the season ends, it is Buffalo. Oddly, the safest one of all 4 might be Brown, since they just drafted him as a project.

I agree, they better all be working their butts off as they will be competing for their NFL lives. I believe when the dust settles, Edwards will be QB to at least start the season, but if there is one team in the NFL that might use 4 starters at QB before the season ends, it is Buffalo. Oddly, the safest one of all 4 might be Brown, since they just drafted him as a project.

Brown and Brohom behind Fitz to start the season...TE is damaged goods (2 concussions in two years) and they will likely send to the curb. If TE stays, it won't be for long behind a line that will not be improved right away. I agree Brown is the safest of the four and might be 'their guy' to groom unless they decide to enter the Mallet/Locker sweepstakes next year.

Guest dog14787

Will they all take turns with the starters, no, probably not, but its possible.

We are installing a new offense and every situation is different. Just because a QB is taking snaps with the 2nd string it doesn't mean open competition is not taking place. The same is expected out of each QB regardless, same play book, same offense. As time progresses its possible the Coaching staff will have QB's working on different areas of their game, but they will all still be taught the same terminology, same offense. Once a QB is named certain adjustments may be made to the offensive game plan and play calling to better suit each QB.

What I'm saying is the 1st string QB could be struggling with the playbook, but the 2nd or even 3rd string QB seems to be catching on quicker so your 2nd or 3rd stringer will start getting snaps with the first string.

Make no mistake, although I believe TE is favored and may start out taking snaps with the starters, there's a 3 way battle for the start between TE, Brohm and Fitzpatrick.

Will they all take turns with the starters, no, probably not, but its possible.

We are installing a new offense and every situation is different and just because a QB is taking snaps with the 2nd string it doesn't mean competition is not taking place. The same is expected out of each QB regardless, same play book, same offense. As time progresses its possible the Coaching staff will have QB's working on different areas of their game, but they will all still be taught the same terminology, same offense.

What I'm saying is the 1st string QB could be struggling with the playbook, but the 2nd or even 3rd string QB seems to be catching on quicker so your 2nd or 3rd stringer will start getting snaps with the first string.

Make no mistake, although I believe TE is favored and may start out taking snaps with the starters, there's a 3 way battle for the start between TE, Brohm and Fitzpatrick.

Edwards is NOT the favored QB, you have still yet to give any realistic reasoning other than your man crush he is the guy.

Fitz did as well as Edwards (both sucked) Fitz, has been in 3 different systems and have picked them up quickly which gives him the edge on picking up Gailey's system faster than the other 3.

Fitz has the most starts of any QB which is a clear cut edge. Fitz isn't affraid to throw the ball whereas Edwards is. Fitz is willing to take hits and keep performing, whereas Edwards is scared.

If anyone has a clear cut edge of the 4 its Fitz, not Edwards.

Guest dog14787
Edwards is NOT the favored QB, you have still yet to give any realistic reasoning other than your man crush he is the guy.

Fitz did as well as Edwards (both sucked) Fitz, has been in 3 different systems and have picked them up quickly which gives him the edge on picking up Gailey's system faster than the other 3.

Fitz has the most starts of any QB which is a clear cut edge. Fitz isn't affraid to throw the ball whereas Edwards is. Fitz is willing to take hits and keep performing, whereas Edwards is scared.

I'll oblige for the sake of argument,

In my opinion, TE's smart, accurate, has probably the fastest read/react and has one of the fastest deliveries in the NFL. Trent Edwards is a team comes first kind of player and is always prepared to take one on the chin for the team. TE shoulders all the blame without so much as a single excuse and zero finger pointing.

My gut feeling tells me TE is a championship caliber QB in the makings and will do great things in the NFL.

Trent Edwards has never had a good supporting cast College or Pro's and for anyone to think its possible to accurately pass judgment on Edwards, I have to respectfully disagree.

It's apparent the Bills GM and HC agree with me.

Almost no way that happens, that they go through starter after starter.

Most of what he says indicates that Nix believes a major part of the problem with this offense--and this team--has been the lack of consistency and the irrational moves that have not enabled the Bills to field a consistent product.

The quarterback (Edwards in my view) will be THE quarterback this year, come hell or high water.

And to me, that is a good thing.

darth, i agree with a lot of your posts, but this is ludicrous.

while fitz might be the best QB on the roster (i don't think he is), i'm willing to bet chan & co. don't see fitz as anything more than a back up, and unless they determine brohm is a bust, fitz is the most likely to get cut. No sense in "retarding" the younger players we have with more upside - © Buddy Nix

everyone is going to say we know what we can get out of trent, but i don't think that's necessarily true. i am hoping this year will be a fresh start for him and then we really will know what we can get out of trent with competent coaching.

yes, fitz has picked up a variety of offenses, and also has the most body of work to evaluate. but I think it's safe to say based on that that he has the least amount of upside.

now i realize based on my logic regarding trent, fitz has just as good a chance to show how he fits into our new scheme, but i think his seemingly lack of upside gives every other QB the edge over him.

and to your original point about there not being a competition- i agree chan has an idea by now who he wants to be the starter, but i don't believe that it's set in stone. we've got a long way to go before opening day and i'm just praying somebody steps up, whoever it is, and can play the entire season and develop chemistry with our young team- laying the foundation for the future

I would probably agree, except the Bills QB situation is so unsettled that I truly think that Gailey WILL have a true open competition. I don't think they are predisposed toward Edwards, Fitzpatick, or Brohm (if anything, I'd guess they might have high hopes for Brohm, already knowing what they have in Fitz and Fanning-Fan) - and if I were those 3 guys, I'd get my ass to OBD next weekend for the rookie camp (voluntary for veterans) and every OTA thereafter before Levi Brown gets too much of a jump on the rest of the pack.

Again, The Incredibly Prescient Senator (TIPS) predicts that, come September 12th, the pecking order will be as follows -

Brian Brohm - Starting QB

Bad Bad Levi Brown - Backup QB

Ryan Fitzpatrick - 3rd String/Clipboard Carrier

Trent Edwards - Marketing Intern at Synopsys

19 and 0 baby!!! :rolleyes:

GO BILLSSS!!!!

REVERSE THE CURSE!!!!! :sick:

I partially agree. They have a number 1 in mind but I think they are sending a message that every spot on the roster is opened and so there will be a competion. I have played on teams with no clear number 1 ... they will give the top two (maybe three) guys enough reps prior to the first preseason game to determine the order. Whoever starts that first game and plays the majority of the snaps with the number 1 offfense is the number 1 seed.

I think the pre-camp order could be:

1 - Edwards - He will get a long look. He either decides he wants to serious about football, lead the team and claim the number 1 spot or he will be gone.

2 - Brohm - they need to see if he can play. He needs reps with the # 1 offense. He can either challenge to start or impress enough to be the #2. If he looks bad early he will drop to #3 and get himself cut. There will be only one clipboard holder and that spot is for Levi Brown.

3 - Fitz - he is the insurance policy. He will get some early reps because he deserves it. They already know his leadership was better than Edwards and he was more of a gamer last season. They already know his physical shortcomings. For this team to really improve Edwards needs step up and play better than Fitz did last year. Fitz still could end up #1 meaning Edwards blew it, or #2 meaning Brohm blew it.

4. Brown - He holds the clip board as the #3. They will teach him the system and work on his technique more than anything else. I expect his pre-season time to be 4th quarter mop up.

Agree that after the second pre-season game we should know who is #1. Game 3 should be the game we play starters for the first half and try to win the half.

while fitz might be the best QB on the roster (i don't think he is), i'm willing to bet chan & co. don't see fitz as anything more than a back up, and unless they determine brohm is a bust, fitz is the most likely to get cut. No sense in "retarding" the younger players we have with more upside - © Buddy Nix

everyone is going to say we know what we can get out of trent, but i don't think that's necessarily true. i am hoping this year will be a fresh start for him and then we really will know what we can get out of trent with competent coaching.

yes, fitz has picked up a variety of offenses, and also has the most body of work to evaluate. but I think it's safe to say based on that that he has the least amount of upside.

now i realize based on my logic regarding trent, fitz has just as good a chance to show how he fits into our new scheme, but i think his seemingly lack of upside gives every other QB the edge over him.

I'd be shocked if Fitzpatrick ended up cut. What seems most likely to me is he is the #2 this year, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him starting. Whoever shows the least between Edwards and Brohm is gone, and Brown is the #3.

Yeah, Fitz is not very good, but he showed a willingness to make all the throws, unlike certain other QBs on the roster, and he's smart. If he does end up starting, it's bad news because it means none of our QBs are worth a damn as a starter and we'll be searching for one in the offseason, but at least he won't hold back the rest of the team the way (IMO) Edwards did.

Didnt TE com ein and start as a rookie? so he can also pick up a 'system' pretty quick.

Fitz is a backup, just like Kelly Holcomb was. He is a band aid till your starter gets healthy. I am afraid that TE is damaged. We can hope a new regime brings in a new confidence, but i doubt it.

Brohm is the unknown. Maybe he can develope maybe not. The ATL game was no indication of his skills. No Bill wanted to be here that day.

Brown is a project.

Ultimately the Bills really dont have a long term solution on this team right now, just a lot of ifs and buts.

EVERY QB competition goes down that way? I'm sorry, but that's just not true. Plenty of QB competitions go down to the first or second week of pre-season. It would be lovely if they always had an idea which guy would start, but it's simply not true.

Many do go down like that. Not even close to all of them, though.

I'd be shocked if Fitzpatrick ended up cut. What seems most likely to me is he is the #2 this year, although I wouldn't rule out the possibility of him starting. Whoever shows the least between Edwards and Brohm is gone, and Brown is the #3.

Yeah, Fitz is not very good, but he showed a willingness to make all the throws, unlike certain other QBs on the roster, and he's smart. If he does end up starting, it's bad news because it means none of our QBs are worth a damn as a starter and we'll be searching for one in the offseason, but at least he won't hold back the rest of the team the way (IMO) Edwards did.

Myself, I'm betting that unless somebody really stinks up the joint - and I don't think any of them will do badly wearing a red jersey - that Brown will be on the practice squad. Seventh rounders are extremely safe on the practice squad.

Didnt TE com ein and start as a rookie? so he can also pick up a 'system' pretty quick.

Fitz is a backup, just like Kelly Holcomb was. He is a band aid till your starter gets healthy. I am afraid that TE is damaged. We can hope a new regime brings in a new confidence, but i doubt it.

Brohm is the unknown. Maybe he can develope maybe not. The ATL game was no indication of his skills. No Bill wanted to be here that day.

Brown is a project.

Ultimately the Bills really dont have a long term solution on this team right now, just a lot of ifs and buts.

So, in this thread, we've got a Brohm fan, a Trent fan and a Fitz fan. That's about right. Thing is, your opinions are all just guesses and will continue to be so till we see who starts getting the most reps as time passes.

Leaving aside the question of who has the most "upside", Fitz is 27, Edwards is 26, Brohm is 24, and Brown is 23. Not a whole lot of age difference there. Any or all of them could play for another 10-12 years easy, if they can hack it talent-wise.

There might be some competition in mini-camps. Gailey has a handle on what Trent and Fitz can do from film. He's going to want to see what Brohm and Brown can do in camp. He may have a his starter before the first mandatory camp.

PTR

Brown and Brohom behind Fitz to start the season...TE is damaged goods (2 concussions in two years) and they will likely send to the curb. If TE stays, it won't be for long behind a line that will not be improved right away. I agree Brown is the safest of the four and might be 'their guy' to groom unless they decide to enter the Mallet/Locker sweepstakes next year.

After a half dozen or so starts here, about 10 or so in Cincy and a few in St. Louis, everyone knows what you are going to get with Fitz, and it isn't an NFL starter, not even close-in fact he barely fits the bill as a backup. What the Bills need to do if they aren't going to bring in a veteran QB is start Edwards, keep him in there and find out if he can do the job. Any team that goes into the season with Fitz as the starter at QB may be making a challenge for the title of one of the worst teams in NFL history.

If they liked Brown so much going into the draft that they thought "this guy could start for us this year", and then waited until the 7th round to pick him, they are idiots.

The last round? I don't think they have any real expectations of him starting this season.