There is no QB competition as most think of one.

Leaving aside the question of who has the most "upside", Fitz is 27, Edwards is 26, Brohm is 24, and Brown is 23. Not a whole lot of age difference there. Any or all of them could play for another 10-12 years easy, if they can hack it talent-wise.

These QB's all suck. It's not gonna make a big difference which one is out there. It's Pinto Vs. Pacer Vs. Yugo....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they liked Brown so much going into the draft that they thought "this guy could start for us this year", and then waited until the 7th round to pick him, they are idiots.

The last round? I don't think they have any real expectations of him starting this season.

We all know where you are drafted determines how good you will be in the NFL.

Signed,

Tom Brady & Tony Romo

Seriously, what is you point? You're pissed they didn't draft Bown higher?

PTR

Leaving aside the question of who has the most "upside", Fitz is 27, Edwards is 26, Brohm is 24, and Brown is 23. Not a whole lot of age difference there. Any or all of them could play for another 10-12 years easy, if they can hack it talent-wise.

right. i should have said "less experienced" rather than younger

There is no such thing as 'competition'. They have an idea who they want to be the QB by the start of camp and that guy will get the meat of the snaps. The next guy will get a little more snaps before the 2nd preseason game and start that game. After that, the guy they want will have the meat of the snaps from there on out.

If you go back EVERY QB 'competition' goes down that way. Why? Because you can't go into a season taking reps away from the guy you want to be your starter. It is a recipe for disaster,and the way Nix on that radio show blasted the last regime for its screwup's last pre season, I see this 'competition' over after the 2nd preseason game.

It doesnt' matter if its Brohom, Brown, Edwards or Fitz, they will know the guy they want to win this thing before they set foot in training camp.

Contrary to everything Nix and Gailey have said.

Of our four QBs, Trent has the most talent, ability and experience. He's your starter. He's actually shown/flashed potential. The others have not. Barring a shocking and unexpected emergence of Brohm or Fitz, which is incredibly unlikey, Trent will start all 16 unless he gets hurt.

So, in this thread, we've got a Brohm fan, a Trent fan and a Fitz fan. That's about right. Thing is, your opinions are all just guesses and will continue to be so till we see who starts getting the most reps as time passes.

I am not a fan of any of them. None has done a thing really. Flashes dont count. Brohm is the unknown. I think he gets his shot this year at some point.

darth, i agree with a lot of your posts, but this is ludicrous.

How can you agree with many of his posts when they are mostly about the same qb topic? On that recurring topic you disagree with him. :rolleyes:

and to your original point about there not being a competition- i agree chan has an idea by now who he wants to be the starter, but i don't believe that it's set in stone. we've got a long way to go before opening day and i'm just praying somebody steps up, whoever it is, and can play the entire season and develop chemistry with our young team- laying the foundation for the future

What you are basically saying is the staff has an open mind about who is going to earn the starting qb position. DarthIce doesn't believe it is proper to allow a player to earn a starting job. He prefers anointing players who he wants to see start.

I don't know who is going to be the starting qb. I think it is going to be Edwards. But if another qb outplays him then so be it. Whoever is declared the backup in all probability will still get substantial playing time this season because of injuries or becasue of a necessity to make a change due to inadequate play.

It will be intriquing to see how things play out not only for the qb position but also for the other positions. Who knows who is going to be the starting LT, second receiver, third receiver, which of the backs is going to get the brunt of the carries etc.?

If they liked Brown so much going into the draft that they thought "this guy could start for us this year", and then waited until the 7th round to pick him, they are idiots.

The last round? I don't think they have any real expectations of him starting this season.

I didn't say a thing about them expecting anything from them, I said he is a project, and he is. Please read the entire post before you reply criticizing it. Some projects work, some don't, but you spend a little time trying to find out. Because there are no expectations this season from Brown, is exactly why he will stick around.

Contrary to everything Nix and Gailey have said.

No it isn't. They said the competition started with the OTA's well before the draft, that is FACT. They said they would know before the draft how they wanted to go. Well 1. they talk about Brohm all the time, 2. Mort reported the staff is more than open to Brohm winning the job and 3. We took Brown as a guy to develop instead of a guy who would aledgedly compete immediately.

If you dont' think they already know who they want to win this 'competition' you dont' know football.

How can you agree with many of his posts when they are mostly about the same qb topic? On that recurring topic you disagree with him. :D

What you are basically saying is the staff has an open mind about who is going to earn the starting qb position. DarthIce doesn't believe it is proper to allow a player to earn a starting job. He prefers anointing players who he wants to see start.

I don't know who is going to be the starting qb. I think it is going to be Edwards. But if another qb outplays him then so be it. Whoever is declared the backup in all probability will still get substantial playing time this season because of injuries or becasue of a necessity to make a change due to inadequate play.

It will be intriquing to see how things play out not only for the qb position but also for the other positions. Who knows who is going to be the starting LT, second receiver, third receiver, which of the backs is going to get the brunt of the carries etc.?

Bull ****. Read the post again, The competition has already started and will in essence be over by the 2nd preseason game. If you have followed football for more than 30 minutes you know this is fact. They don't allow this **** to carry on beyond that because it doesn't allow the starter enough reps going into the season.

This 'competition' has been going on since OTA's started according to Nix and Gailey. That said, the only 'annointed one' the only one 'Given' a job out of the QB's so far has been EDWARDS. Had they allowed a real competition, he wouldn't have started one game last year.

So I am not afraid of Brohm or Fitz going up against the kitty edwards. Hell I am all for it so you Edwards lovers will finally STFU when your boycrush gets his ass kicked and he loses his job....again.

So I am not afraid of Brohm or Fitz going up against the kitty edwards. Hell I am all for it so you Edwards lovers will finally STFU when your boycrush gets his ass kicked and he loses his job....again.

That is a low class response. Shouldn't be surprised.

I think what many of us fail to remember is that Edwards not only lost the job last year, but he also lost the locker room, according to reports, that's not something that he can just get back at the drop of a hat.

Maybe a new system will help trent, but if the team doesnt rally around the QB it's a recipe for disaster, just based on that fact alone, I doubt edwards will win this job.

We all know where you are drafted determines how good you will be in the NFL.

Signed,

Tom Brady & Tony Romo

Seriously, what is you point? You're pissed they didn't draft Bown higher?

PTR

No. I'm saying that there is no way that they would let a QB that they thought was gonna be good enough to start as a rookie, last until the 7th round. Would you? Wouldn't you at least draft him say with a 4th or 5th round pick? Or would you just think "we're the only guys that see his potential, no one will pick him. We need a backup linebacker instead".

That would be idiocy, and I don't think they are idiots.

I think they see a guy that may develop with some good coaching and time, not a first year starter.

Signed ,

Someone a whole lot smarter than you.

I didn't say a thing about them expecting anything from them, I said he is a project, and he is. Please read the entire post before you reply criticizing it. Some projects work, some don't, but you spend a little time trying to find out. Because there are no expectations this season from Brown, is exactly why he will stick around.

In your post you implied that Brown had the best chance to stick around as a starter. I don't think he will see the field, and I don't think the coaching staff thinks he will see the field this season. If they liked him THAT much they wouldn't have let him last until the 7th round, they might have waited until the later rounds, but I don't believe they would let a guy that they felt had 1st season starter type skills, sit around until the last round.

Myself, I'm betting that unless somebody really stinks up the joint - and I don't think any of them will do badly wearing a red jersey - that Brown will be on the practice squad. Seventh rounders are extremely safe on the practice squad.

Certainly a possibility, although if Brown shows decent potential I'm not sure they'll take the chance with him. This is a QB-hungry league so if they see anything out of him I think they'll keep him on the active roster.

No it isn't. They said the competition started with the OTA's well before the draft, that is FACT. They said they would know before the draft how they wanted to go. Well 1. they talk about Brohm all the time, 2. Mort reported the staff is more than open to Brohm winning the job and 3. We took Brown as a guy to develop instead of a guy who would aledgedly compete immediately.

If you dont' think they already know who they want to win this 'competition' you dont' know football.

Okay then, I don't know football. Thank you for enlightening me. I'm sure they know exactly who will be the starting QB this very minute. The amusing thing is how much you believe your own hoo hah.

After a half dozen or so starts here, about 10 or so in Cincy and a few in St. Louis, everyone knows what you are going to get with Fitz, and it isn't an NFL starter, not even close-in fact he barely fits the bill as a backup. What the Bills need to do if they aren't going to bring in a veteran QB is start Edwards, keep him in there and find out if he can do the job. Any team that goes into the season with Fitz as the starter at QB may be making a challenge for the title of one of the worst teams in NFL history.

I agree with the we know what we got in fitz part, but I think he is a decent back-up. He's not a long term answer but he can win games off the bench if the starter gets hurt and thats what a back up is for,imo. But I disagree with the start edwards part. I say stick with the competion thing and the best qb will emerge.will it be trent? maybe. you all know I like brohm and want him to win because i think he has the most upside. but Edwards has shown enough at times I don't doubt he could emerge. I do believe nix/gaily will be true to what they say and let it be an open competition. may the best man win. and WHOEVER it is, I'm going to back him

Of our four QBs, Trent has the most talent, ability and experience. He's your starter. He's actually shown/flashed potential. The others have not. Barring a shocking and unexpected emergence of Brohm or Fitz, which is incredibly unlikey, Trent will start all 16 unless he gets hurt.

Trent may have the most experience, but it is purely your opinion that he has more talent and ability. and one I don't share with you. I don't think it will be shocking OR unexpected if brohm emerges. In fact I assume and expect it to happen. He only had one game to show us his potential and I for one, liked what I saw.Is it a lot to go on? no. but for all we have seen of the other guys, could you tell this guy was making his first start on a crappy team? or tell a difference from the other guys? all with being thrown in the fire. That told me something. I will be very shocked if he isn't our starter. Do I state I know this? no

No. I'm saying that there is no way that they would let a QB that they thought was gonna be good enough to start as a rookie, last until the 7th round. Would you? Wouldn't you at least draft him say with a 4th or 5th round pick? Or would you just think "we're the only guys that see his potential, no one will pick him. We need a backup linebacker instead".

I think they see a guy that may develop with some good coaching and time, not a first year starter.

Signed ,

In defense of billsfreak, which i can't believe I am doing, but he never said he thought he was starter material just that he would start,all of our qb's would start, because i assume he thinks the line will suck and they will all get hurt or do crappy.

Signed ,

Again, See Romo and Brady.

Trent has over 30 games under his belt. If he had it at all he would have had it by now. Instead he lost the locker room and his job. He has only 24 TD's to show for his time, not a single 300 yard game, not a single 3000 yard season. The only trait he has is a high completion % which over inflates his QB rating and that is because he checks down so much.

The guy doesn't have it. I am going to be glad when this guy is relegated to 3rd string or flat out cut so we can quit trying to push a guy into a starting job that never had any business being one in the first place.

Trent has over 30 games under his belt. If he had it at all he would have had it by now. Instead he lost the locker room and his job. He has only 24 TD's to show for his time, not a single 300 yard game, not a single 3000 yard season. The only trait he has is a high completion % which over inflates his QB rating and that is because he checks down so much.

The guy doesn't have it. I am going to be glad when this guy is relegated to 3rd string or flat out cut so we can quit trying to push a guy into a starting job that never had any business being one in the first place.

thats more important than any stat, if he can't be a leader than he can't be a starter