Demeterius Bell has ACL injury

i do not believe it required surgery. do you think that nix and galiey dont know the extent of his injury?

really man if they thought it would preclude him from playing then he would not be an option.

i still think they are in the flozell and gaither market no matter what!

Jammal Brown, the Saints 2-time Pro Bowl left tackle is reportedly on the trading block.

He missed all of last year and Jermon Bushrod did a great job of filling in. The Saints also have Zach Strief who they like very much.

Anyways, there are still proven, veteran left tackles out there.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether Bell is completely healthy or not isn't the real issue. The real issue is whether he is a capable starting LT. In my opinion he still has a long way to go. Last year there were injuries on the line. How much depth do the Bills have at this point? Nix will have to be working the phones to get some relief for this very thin unit.

One other point to keep in mind is that as Bell continues to develop, one of the things he was supposed to be focused on was he needed to continue to improve his strength this offseason. Not sure if his necessary focus on rehab has taken away from his strength conditioning.

One other point to keep in mind is that as Bell continues to develop, one of the things he was supposed to be focused on was he needed to continue to improve his strength this offseason. Not sure if his necessary focus on rehab has taken away from his strength conditioning.

Last year, Bell was clearly overmatched. Why do you assume that he will develop into a capable NFL LT this year? I'm not saying he won't. I don't know and neither do most people. It would behoove this front office to come up with a more reliable option at LT, even if it is a short term stop gap measure.

[This is a recording] Jared Gaither is not actually going anywhere. It would not make sense for the Ravens to trade him. He will be in Baltimore for years. [This has been a recording.]

Funny post. But you're wasting your breath on these guys who believe in magical thinking. "We need a QB. Get Peyton Manning. I heard from somebody that he wants out of Indy. Git er done, Buddy."

Jammal Brown, the Saints 2-time Pro Bowl left tackle is reportedly on the trading block.

He missed all of last year and Jermon Bushrod did a great job of filling in. The Saints also have Zach Strief who they like very much.

Aren't there some injury concerns with Jammal Brown? Your basic point about bringing in another veteran LT, even if it is a temporary measure, makes a lot of sense. If the Bills don't address the OL, especially the LT position, this year it is going to be another tough season.

No matter who the qb is or how they are regarded it is unfair to them to not have a competent line. That includes upgrading the LT position and having some credible reserves to fill in when called on.

Come on Gailey, Nix, & Whaley. How can you expect Bell to be your front runner at LT when he's coming off that kind of injury. What happened to the comment of the QB's always throwing on their back. You have to bring someone else in. How about Gaither? Please get the Bills a good starting left tackle. Thank you.

Remember, we've heard ad nauseum for the past few years that "it takes TWO years to fully come back" from an ACL tear. This is why players who tear their ACLs always stink the following year. Or sometimes they're just never the same.

In Bell's case, considering how bad he was before the injury, penciling him in as the starter is crazy and disturbing.

Chan Gailey was asked if Demetrius Bell would be the starting left tackle this season. He replied "well I guess he's got to be", and added that he was still a work in progress. Bell was statistically the worst left tackle in the NFL last season and you could see just it by watching the games. You can't expect the guy to suddenly develop into a good left tackle with no time to develop due to rehabbing an ACL injury.

When Jauron and Brandon decided the Bills could compete with Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell as our left tackles, I marked that up as stupidity, arrogance, and incompetence. I give Nix a lot more credit than that. If he chooses to enter this season with the same left tackle starting (and the same quarterback), it appears to be a sign that he is throwing in the towel for this upcoming season. I had little to no expectations of success this season. I'm fine with being flat out awful this season while stockpiling draft picks for next years LT/QB class that Nix may like better, but I know other fans would be upset.

I've seen an awful lot of confidence being placed in Wang around here. I'm afraid these expectations are too far removed from reality. Everything I've read points to Wang being a developmental project, and if he's ever ready to start it won't be this year. Can someone please point me to why the #22 ranked tackle in this draft according to Nawrocki will be of any help this year, if ever?

Wang is a practice squad project at best.

Chan Gailey was asked if Demetrius Bell would be the starting left tackle this season. He replied "well I guess he's got to be", and added that he was still a work in progress. Bell was statistically the worst left tackle in the NFL last season and you could see just it by watching the games. You can't expect the guy to suddenly develop into a good left tackle with no time to develop due to rehabbing an ACL injury.

When Jauron and Brandon decided the Bills could compete with Langston Walker and Demetrius Bell as our left tackles, I marked that up as stupidity, arrogance, and incompetence. I give Nix a lot more credit than that. If he chooses to enter this season with the same left tackle starting (and the same quarterback), it appears to be a sign that he is throwing in the towel for this upcoming season. I had little to no expectations of success this season. I'm fine with being flat out awful this season while stockpiling draft picks for next years LT/QB class that Nix may like better, but I know other fans would be upset.

He's either very very stupid or throwing in the towel. If he is going to mail in this season it must be in anticipation of something happening next year. What the hell is he going to do with an offensive line with two rehabbing starters, nothing on the bench, and a qb who is at best shaky?

Bell looked O.K. when he played. He made a lot of rookie mistakes, but he didn't seem that bad. I think he can develop into a starting caliber LT, but it would be just as foolish to go into the season with the left tackles currently on the roster as it was to cut Langston Walker last year.

Bell looked O.K. when he played. He made a lot of rookie mistakes, but he didn't seem that bad. I think he can develop into a starting caliber LT, but it would be just as foolish to go into the season with the left tackles currently on the roster as it was to cut Langston Walker last year.

In the very few games he played....if I remember correctly 5...he gave up 4.5 sacks...that is not at all good...not even mentioning the penalties...he was not good by any stretch of the imagination

Come on Gailey, Nix, & Whaley. How can you expect Bell to be your front runner at LT when he's coming off that kind of injury. What happened to the comment of the QB's always throwing on their back. You have to bring someone else in. How about Gaither? Please get the Bills a good starting left tackle. Thank you.

I agree- instead of taking Spiller, we should have reached for a LT, because that's how to build a team with second rate players :thumbsup:

It's worth remembering that his surgery was arthroscopic, which greatly increases the chances for a quick recovery.

Allan Wilson said on Feb. 19th that there was some doubt that he would be ready to go at the start of training camp. Chris Brown, on the 23rd, said that his rehab was going well and Bell was confident he would be ready to go. Take this as you will.

Bell sounds like every other player - confident they'll be ready soon. All players say that. How'd that go for James Hardy last year? Maybe Bell will be ready, maybe not. I'd be disappointed if players didn't stay optimistic. They're usually working their asses off in rehab. I just can't put too much merit in their high hopes, sometimes based more in wishful thinking than their actual physical condition.

I'd lean more towards Wilson's source than from the lips of Bell.

...I'm fine with being flat out awful this season while stockpiling draft picks for next years LT/QB class that Nix may like better, but I know other fans would be upset.

Continuing to suck probably would not help tickets sales. The Bills are like a off-Broadway show in that they have had a really bad director, casting agent and ensemble with no star power. Spiller gives them some star power and might make the drive to RWS less of a bother for fans within the blackout zone. But I am with you in that if the Bills miss the playoffs again in 2010, just take a knee for the last few games and move up near the top for the Locker/Mallet sweepstakes.

I'm holding out for the obvious...Bushrod, Niswanger, Levitre, Wood, Wang

After trading away Jason Peters last off season the entire world watched and waited for the Bills to draft a replacement or bring in someone in free agency, they didn't and the result was a disastrous season.

The entire world was watching and waiting again for the Bills to draft that LT in round one or two this year, they didn't. Right now the entire world knows Bell / Wang is not the answer at LT and they are still waiting to see how free agency goes.

If this new GM and coaching staff don't make any moves to upgrade the LT position, then they are no better then jauron and his staff of morons and will suffer their same fate.

Everyone needs to chill out. The seasons roster is not complete. We can make a trade, pick up a free agent or maybe even be surprised at how are guys from last year may come around. Bell can only be better; last year was his first year at the position for us. The fans just need to relax and stop thinking they no more about football than Nix, a former head coach, former scout, and now head GM. He knows more about football than any average Joe Wednesday afternoon blogger-that's for sure! We can't fix all our problems in one season. I think we did a nice job with the pieces we added in the draft but we will be needing to put at least one more good draft together before we can judge a rebuilding organization. We haven't been in the playoffs in 10 years-we are rebuilding...

Everyone needs to chill out. The seasons roster is not complete. We can make a trade, pick up a free agent or maybe even be surprised at how are guys from last year may come around. Bell can only be better; last year was his first year at the position for us. The fans just need to relax and stop thinking they no more about football than Nix, a former head coach, former scout, and now head GM. He knows more about football than any average Joe Wednesday afternoon blogger-that's for sure! We can't fix all our problems in one season. I think we did a nice job with the pieces we added in the draft but we will be needing to put at least one more good draft together before we can judge a rebuilding organization. We haven't been in the playoffs in 10 years-we are rebuilding...

Thanks Fred! Should we wait until 2012 to buy tickets? Are you running for office?

I didn't care that we came out of the draft without a quarterback. I didn't ultimately think that there was one worth taking at our picks.

But I am concerned that the Bills didn't do more to address the LOT position.

One would have to be the eternal optimist to believe that Wang will be the answer in his first year.

I believe Nix has a plan...I just don't know what it is yet.

Based on what has been done so far, the plan seems to be to position the team to draft a franchise QB next year

The Broncos could be looking for a new LT soon too.

Source: Ryan Clady tore patellar tendon playing basketball

Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2010 4:43 PM ET

The unbridled enthusiasm coming from the Broncos in the wake of the Thomas-Tebow round-one haul has hit a relatively major snag.

As Mike Klis of the Denver Post reported earlier today, tackle Ryan Clady suffered a potentially serious knee injury while doing something unrelated to football. Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the injury is believed to be a torn patellar tendon. The source says the injury occurred while Clady was playing basketball.

If that's the case, Clady likely will miss all of the 2010 season. A first-round pick in 2008, Clady has started all 32 regular-season games of his career, and he was named to the Pro Bowl and the Associated Press All-Pro team after the 2009 season.

Also, if anyone is interested in signing Flozell Adams, it may be a good idea to get a deal done before the Broncos make a play for him.

Report: Ryan Clady avoided full patellar tendon tear

Posted by Mike Florio on April 28, 2010 6:16 PM ET

Well, there's some good news for the Broncos and, more specifically, left tackle Ryan Clady. Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that Clady suffered only a partial tear of the patellar tendon in his knee.

Per Klis, the tendon was only 50 percent torn. As a result, Clady is expected to miss three months, and to be able to suit up and play in four.

The team reportedly is "hopeful" that Clady will be available for the September 12 opener in Jacksonville.

The rehab process already has commenced. Klis reports that Clady had surgery on Tuesday. The injury occurred over the weekend.