Those Classy Dolphins.....

it's relevant because what these players do in their free time can effect their career and the team, if they get suspended. If his mom IS a prostitute, and you are handing him millions of dollars, then you are putting this KID in a position to be PREYED upon by all sorts of shady characters. Not just his mom. And if he has those types of people in his life, there is more likelihood that some criminal element will come in too.

if it was a real question, and not just a psych test, then the Dolphins are merely doing their due diligence to protect their MILLION dollar investment.

Dank I understand where your are coming from a first round pick is a huge investment, but i feel that they could have gone about it by asking more appropriate questions, or wording it differently. "What did your mom do for a living" "What did she do in her spare time" "Did your mother have any issues growing up as a kid"

I was talkign to one of the hiring managers at my company about this, and he said that there would be a law suit against the company, and just to close shop.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, no corporations I know ever asked their incoming CEO, to whom they pay millions, if the CEO's mom was a prostitute. The question is borderline illegal and by no means is it necessary.

Corporations are more interested in hiring a prostitute for CEO.

The draft process is all about scrutiny. Heavy, heavy, under the microscope, all skeletons out of the closet, scrutiny. If a team is considering investing a valuable draft pick and several millions of dollars in you, they can ask whatever the hell they want. No one says you have to agree to the interview, no one is making you attend, no one is making you answer.

Offensive? Yes. But these teams are dotting all their "i's" and crossing all their "t's". They want to make the best investment they can. They don't want a player they pick to wash out or wind up suspended. They want him to have a long, productive and exciting career.

It's the dirty side of the business, but it's a necessary evil.

No way. If the story is true then Ireland stepped way out of bounds. The question was baseless and served no purpose. Personally I hope the ignorance of the organization is reflected in the fact that they can't land free agents because available talent will not play for that kind of regime.

No way. If the story is true then Ireland stepped way out of bounds. The question was baseless and served no purpose. Personally I hope the ignorance of the organization is reflected in the fact that they can't land free agents because available talent will not play for that kind of regime.

Players will play for "that kind of regime" if the money is right, just like teams will take on the Tank Johnsons and Pacman Jones of the world if they think that there's money to be made.

Did you look up all of these psych questions becasue your mother was a prositiute?

Now, before you get angry, I am sure your mother is a very nice woman and is of high moral character. I just have to say i do not think that is an appropriate question for anyone in really any context of employment. Even if she was, the Dolphins are not hiring Dez Bryants mother to play WR - And you sure can't pick our parents.

Like I said, this question had absolutely nothing to do with his mom or her profession. It was not meant to offend . It was a test to see how he would react to the question. It's a behavioural interview. I can't stress that enough. Behavioural. And with millions of dollars at stake, they can ask all the questions they want. Nobody held a gun to his head, he could've got up and left if he wanted to. The question was an attitude test and a maturity test. And Dez failed.

Oh really? How in the world is Bryant's mother's profession at all related to his performance on or off the field? Ridiculous question and your justification is even more ridiculous.

Read my second post in this thread. It was a pysch/behavioural/maturity test. It had nothing to do with his mother or her profession.

Read my second post in this thread.

and id say anyone who doesnt understand this type of questioning hasnt had much experience in this world.

Ha, get over yourself!! I work in HR and if anyone asked this question in a job interview they'd never be an interviewer again for my company.. guaranteed.

Like I said, this question had absolutely nothing to do with his mom or her profession. It was not meant to offend . It was a test to see how he would react to the question. It's a behavioural interview. I can't stress that enough. Behavioural. And with millions of dollars at stake, they can ask all the questions they want. Nobody held a gun to his head, he could've got up and left if he wanted to. The question was an attitude test and a maturity test. And Dez failed.

Read my second post in this thread. It was a pysch/behavioural/maturity test. It had nothing to do with his mother or her profession.

I'm a recruiter and have performed hundreds of behavioral interviews.. This question is not a behavioral question PERIOD.

I'm a recruiter and have performed hundreds of behavioral interviews.. This question is not a behavioral question PERIOD.

Let us know when your role is make multi-million dollar personel assessments. That's like saying I played high school quarterback, I know what it takes to be an NFL QB.

Let us know when your role is make multi-million dollar personel assessments. That's like saying I played high school quarterback, I know what it takes to be an NFL QB.

Pleased to meet you Dez. By the way, is your mom a whore? I am just asking because I have to make a multi-million dollar personnel assessment about your mom, I mean you.

Dude.. it's not a behavioral question. It's an antagonizing question. It doesn't matter who I work for, the question is inappropriate.

A behavioral question is, How have you dealt with adversity? Tell me a time when you had a disagreement with a team mate, how did you handle it?

Maybe you just aren't smart enough to know the difference?

Oh, by the way, I work for a multi-billion dollar company, thanks.

Yes it is. There are plenty of different behavioural and psychological questions/interviews. Why would they ask him that if it wasn't? Bryant has been marred with controversey throughout the entire draft process. And questions about his attitude, maturity and character have run rampant.

And even if it wasn't a behavioural or psychological question, if a GM is deciding whether or not to spend a valuable high pick, potentially wager his employment with the team and hand over millions of dollars to a player, they can ask whatever they want so long as it isn't some kind of human rights violation. And this isn't.

I stand firm in my belief that this question was asked of Bryant to gauge his reaction and see how he handled/responded to it.

But I digress, let's just agree to disagree.

Dude.. it's not a behavioral question. It's an antagonizing question. It doesn't matter who I work for.

A behavioral question is, How have you dealt with adversity? Tell me a time when you had a disagreement with a team mate, how did you handle it?

Maybe you just aren't smart enough to know the difference?

Oh, by the way, I work for a multi-billion dollar company, thanks.

So does the guy that sweeps the aisles for the Dallas Cowboys.

We have no idea how the question was phrased. All we have is what Dez Bryant told reporters. We don't know if they asked about his relationship with his mother, how her actions related to his life, etc...

and id say anyone who doesnt understand this type of questioning hasnt had much experience in this world.

Dr. I understand the questioning and also psych evals for potential character issues. I have worked for two of the largest investment banks in the world and they all have psych evals for potential hires. That being said, it is simply not justafiable to bring a 21 year old kid into your office and brow beat him by degrading hiis family, just to "see how he responds" Which is the argument here.

I am sure people can justify that this is acceptable behavior, but common sense has to kick in sometime and you have to realize this is just low class and unneccessary. I really think Goodell should look into this type of behavior from NFL front offices. There are better ways to find out if the kid has character flaws or not without insulting his family and opening up your franchise to potential legal issues...It was just a dumb thing to do. Hopefully, the Bills and other teams take note and keep an eye on their interviewing procedures.

I stand firm in my belief that this question was asked of Bryant to gauge his reaction and see how he handled/responded to it.

Look, I've been on interviews where you are confronted with uncomfotable siutuations just to judge your reaction and how you process the information. That is a classic Wall Street investment banking interview technique. What Ireland did was waaay over the line. If he worked for a regular company, he would be sued and likely fired or at least reprimanded. That question is completely unacceptable. It is not a behavior question or even a fair response question.

Anyone defending it...why don't you ask it the next time you are interviewing someone and see how far it gets you...hell, your company is making an investment in the person, gotta know that person's background right? Tell me how many hours it takes for you to get fired, I set the O/U at 4.

And the question Bryant claims Ireland asked, which came with only a desk in between them? I must say I’m rather impressed – with the size of the GM’s cojones, and with the comprehensive coverage that’s evidently offered by the Dolphins’ dental plan.

From the article;

“I don’t care who you are or who you’re talking to – that kind of question usually gets your [expletive] teeth kicked in,” says former NFL lineman Kyle Turley(notes). “I mean, where do these people come from? That’s just completely [expletive] classless and totally unprofessional.”

:lol:

I realize there will be plenty of people who’ll try to defend such actions as sound management techniques. Some of you who operate under the assumption that the NFL is a hallowed American institution that’s beyond reproach will say these are justifiable screening tactics, given the multimillion dollar investments teams make in signing highly drafted players. Others will undoubtedly rationalize the confronting of athletes with unpleasant topics as a shrewd personality test, a means of gauging players’ reactions to stressful circumstances and assessing self-control.

The draft process is all about scrutiny. Heavy, heavy, under the microscope, all skeletons out of the closet, scrutiny. If a team is considering investing a valuable draft pick and several millions of dollars in you, they can ask whatever the hell they want. No one says you have to agree to the interview, no one is making you attend, no one is making you answer.

Offensive? Yes. But these teams are dotting all their "i's" and crossing all their "t's". They want to make the best investment they can. They don't want a player they pick to wash out or wind up suspended. They want him to have a long, productive and exciting career.

It's the dirty side of the business, but it's a necessary evil.

Evidently. <_<

this goes back to the thread about the Bucs grilling Rolle about "abandoning his teammates". theyre only asking to see how he reacts. in today's league where EVERY move a player makes in their personal life can effect his career and team, you HAVE to push these guys psychologically in an interview to see how they hold up. plus, given his personal history, the team needs to know what type of people the player is going to have in his life. if she was a prostitute, do you really want to bring in a kid who is going to be attracting those types of people to prey off him?

if i was interviewing for a MULTI-MILLION dollar job, as a 20 year old punk, I'd expect to be tested on all levels.

Please tell me you aren't comparing the two questions. Asking Rolle about abandoning teammates is a good question if your looking to agitate the guy. Asking a guy if his mother is a whore isn't even in the same time zone.

Thanks for the link. Always healthy to get a booster on the Dolphins hatred.

But as for Dez Bryant, puh-leeze. He's a lazy punk who doesn't want to accept any responsibility for his actions. I wouldn't want that guy within ten miles of my football team.

I'm not a Bryant fan, at all. However, everybody deserves a level of respect. If they want an answer to something like that then phrase it as; "You've dealt with a lot of issues over the years. What's the worst illegal activity anyone you know was involved in?"

JMO

Actually we should. The NFL is more about business than the game. The lockout will prove this point again.

:doh:

He should've replied with "Did you suck Parcells dick to get your job". I get the whole trying to throw someone off kilter, to see how they react in stressful situations, but I believe a sarcastic response, without anger would've had the same effect. Shows that the player is not in an angered state, and can throw back insults just as easily as he gets insulted.

:w00t:

And you see how well that works. Some of the biggest criminals today are executives of huge corporations. The crimes they commit have consequences beyond anything these jocks could dream of. Look at what recently happened in the banking industry.

The whole banking problem could have been solved if the CEO's had been asked if their mom's were whores!! :)

Dr. I understand the questioning and also psych evals for potential character issues. I have worked for two of the largest investment banks in the world and they all have psych evals for potential hires. That being said, it is simply not justafiable to bring a 21 year old kid into your office and brow beat him by degrading hiis family, just to "see how he responds" Which is the argument here.

I am sure people can justify that this is acceptable behavior, but common sense has to kick in sometime and you have to realize this is just low class and unneccessary. I really think Goodell should look into this type of behavior from NFL front offices. There are better ways to find out if the kid has character flaws or not without insulting his family and opening up your franchise to potential legal issues...It was just a dumb thing to do. Hopefully, the Bills and other teams take note and keep an eye on their interviewing procedures.

thanks tony, i cant argue with anything you say here. in everyday life terms, such an act should be punishable by law/suit. im definitely not saying that this type of question is normal and acceptable. i do however, consider the NFL a different world than investment banks, or any other industry we know. you have a COMPLETELY different type of person interviewing for high power, high paying real world jobs. the kids coming into the NFL are a different breed than anyone we've ever known. some grow up completely coddled their entire lives, having faced no adversity, and not ready for life let alone a high pressure, multi-million dollar life. some grow up facing nothing but adversity without any role models, not being able to trust anyone, not being taught how to act, and not ready for a high pressure multi-million dollar life. i understand that someone can work to come from that and make it through college and become an investment banker, but theyre still nothing like those that choose the path to football, or have it chosen for them.

now, we have no idea how that question was actually asked. it could have been anything in the spectrum between "So I heard your mother is a whore?" to a well setup inquiry. so given what is at stake, and given the kinds of kids that NFL executives have to deal with, and seeing what monsters they are responsible for making in the past, maybe what Ireland said wasn't completely out of line.