Round 2, Pick #41: DT Torell Troup - Central Florida

SDS

Belichick personally went down to UCF in March and worked out Troup, put him through a bunch of drills. Went over to Arrowhead Pride, Chiefs board, and found out that Crennel put him through work outs twice, once at the Shrine game and another personal workout down at UCF. Chiefs at 50 were a potential landing spot, Crennel had nice things to say about him according to them. It's not like he's going to trash the kid, or talk him up too much before the draft.

I find it interesting that Crennel had him at the Shrine game, and they sent him down to Florida for another look. If you listen to the Nix Day 2 press conference, he mentions going back a second time to work him out. Browns were interested as well. There was run on NT/DT as soon as we picked him, Chiefs may have nabbed Troup at 50, he wouldn't have lasted as long as Cam Thomas did that's for sure. He had suitors.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get that Nix must've really liked Troup and I can live with them selecting him and passing on Cody, but from where Troup was graded, he was most likely going to be available in the 3rd round or maybe even 4th. The Bills could've gotten great value at need positions with Clausen or Charles Brown and still get Troup in the next round. I suppose the Bills must've been very down on those guys, or just desperately wanted Troup. For now I'll just have to assume the Bills know what they're doing.

I saw him listed at 60 and 66 on a couple of "top 100 prospects lists". I was surprised by the pick, but the guy does have a lot of positives including the fact that he anchored the top 5 run defense. Problem is, he was defending teams like South Dakota State. Taking Troup over Mt. Cody will end up being a huge factor in determining Buddy's legacy as GM.

We have no choice but to give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps Buddy/Chan have faith that their new training staff can bulk this kid up to become the anchor of the 3-4. However, if this armchair GM had his way, Haloti Ngata, Brian Orakpo, and Terrence Cody would be wearing the red ribbon.

I saw him listed at 60 and 66 on a couple of "top 100 prospects lists". I was surprised by the pick, but the guy does have a lot of positives including the fact that he anchored the top 5 run defense. Problem is, he was defending teams like South Dakota State. Taking Troup over Mt. Cody will end up being a huge factor in determining Buddy's legacy as GM.

We have no choice but to give them the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps Buddy/Chan have faith that their new training staff can bulk this kid up to become the anchor of the 3-4. However, if this armchair GM had his way, Haloti Ngata, Brian Orakpo, and Terrence Cody would be wearing the red ribbon.

I been watching some tape on Cody and it seems like he gets winded very easy and has to sit out.

Mel Kiper is a loud mouthed obnoxious, egomaniac idiot...... so defensive about his #2 best player... OK KC just picked JC still available.....

I remember Kiper once telling many years ago that he compiled his information by talking to as many NFL scouts and executives as he could. I have no idea if that is still his process, but something is out of tilt...

I remember Kiper once telling many years ago that he compiled his information by talking to as many NFL scouts and executives as he could. I have no idea if that is still his process, but something is out of tilt...

Why would any good executive tip their hand prior to the draft by telling their plans to a talking head on TV?